Unanimated manga material?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Unanimated manga material?

Post by peterx » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:07 am

Hi,

Do you know about some unanimated manga material (either by Toriyama or Toyotaro) which is not shown in any anime series, movie, special, etc.?

- For example there are some bonus chapters from Dragon Ball Super volumes which was never animated.
- There many scenes too from the Dragon Ball Super manga which is sometimes very different from the anime.
- Jaco the Galatic Patrolman manga book, backstory was never animated

But is there some older material like bonus chapters, scenes or even entire stories which was never animated aside from the above?

Thank You very much!
Last edited by peterx on Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zestanor
Regular

Re: Unanimated manga material?

Post by Zestanor » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:31 pm

The cover arts (Goku flying planes or riding motocycles) were mostly not animated.

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Post by peterx » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:17 pm

Zestanor wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:31 pm The cover arts (Goku flying planes or riding motocycles) were mostly not animated.
Haha thats true :mrgreen: Thanks!

Well, simple images are exempt for now, I'm rather looking for unanimated stories if there is any more. :)

- to add to the list, there are the crossover manga's too (like DB x One Piece)
- Dragon Ball SD
Last edited by peterx on Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:23 pm

The Super manga is completely different than the anime now so it doesn't really matter. Not counting the Moro arc which may get an anime adaption down the road

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:49 pm

I think in the manga, Kid Buu tried to use the candy transmogrify beam on Goku, but he never did in the anime for whatever reason.

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Post by peterx » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:11 pm

Thank you both for the new suggestions! :)

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:53 pm

Dragon Ball Heroes Victory Mission. And that one definitely needs to be animated.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Post by peterx » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:47 pm

There are two more, both of them are one-shot by Toriyama but they take place in the DB universe (Galactic Patrol):
- https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Jiya_(manga)
- https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Sachie-chan_Guu!!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:54 am

Having done a 1:1 comparison to edit T1C, there are a few panels that are either unanimated or are altered in some way. For example during Goku's fight with Tien, in the manga Goku makes Tien realize that four arms are useless against him, and he retracts them while standing. In the anime however they get themselves into a wrestling lock and Tien retracts the arms in pain, a completely different context.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:34 am

The conversation between Zarbon and Vegeta about Freeza's ability of transformation was omitted in the anime for some reason, so Vegeta refers to it during the fight against Freeza out of nowhere. It could be easily added by recycling other conversation shots when they produced Kai, but they're not that thoughtful as you know.

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Post by peterx » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:02 pm

Thank You KBABZ, kei17!

Superb findings just what I was looking for! :mrgreen:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:03 pm

Freeza killing Cargo. In the anime, Dodoria does it instead.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:36 pm

Here's another difference: every animated version of Goku and Bulma's first meeting has something different about them:
  • In Episode 1, Bulma hits Goku with her Renault into a tree. In the manga, Bulma stops right before hitting him.
  • In Curse of the Blood Rubies, Bulma hits Goku again but this time is in the Capsule Bike. This results in the Renault being the vehicle they drive out of Mount Paozu. As well, Bulma doesn't explain how the Dragon Balls work until inside the double decker camper.
  • In The Path to Power, Bulma doesn't hit Goku with her Renault, but the scene inside Gohan's Hut now takes place outside to allow Goku to eat the fish.

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Post by peterx » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:58 pm

Nice findings too!
To be precise differences like Bulma meet Goku is not really unanimated rather just a difference only. :)

The things I'm really after those are the missing pieces, conversations, omakes, etc. in the story which does not appear at all in anime format, not difference but completely cut out material, like the one kei17 said earlier.

But it could be that we got listed everything already in this thread. I guess back in the day of 80s-90s where DB was prime, there were no such things as omakes like in nowadays manga's, which are usually not appear in its respective anime.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:17 pm

The whole section of Videl uncovering the Great Saiyaman's identity was altered in the anime, so only bits and pieces of that were animated.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Post by peterx » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:30 pm

TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:17 pm The whole section of Videl uncovering the Great Saiyaman's identity was altered in the anime, so only bits and pieces of that were animated.
Nice find! 8)

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:39 pm

-In the manga, at the beginning of Android arc started, there was a violent part of Dr. Gero killing a random man in the city by snapping his neck. In the anime he lets him go.

-Goku and Vegeta fusing into Vegetto while being in the air and undamaged. I don't think there was an animated version of it being that way.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:45 pm

In the manga, Chichi searches around the house for the medicine when Goku is brought into his home by Yamcha in reaction to his heart attack. This was cut out in the anime in which Yamcha just quickly brings him the medicine even though it could have been useful for filler like when Trunks keeps rooting around for the dragon radar in the Buu arc. I noticed this difference when I was thinking about creating a parody video in which Chichi fails to find the medicine and Goku dies, which turned out to be impossible thanks to the change. :problem:

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:59 pm

Xeogran wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:39 pm -In the manga, at the beginning of Android arc started, there was a violent part of Dr. Gero killing a random man in the city by snapping his neck. In the anime he lets him go.
Just got to this point in my re-read, this followed by Gero having Yamcha's back is probably oen of the grimmest scenes in Z and its glorious.

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Post by peterx » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:20 pm

JewyB wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:59 pm
Xeogran wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:39 pm -In the manga, at the beginning of Android arc started, there was a violent part of Dr. Gero killing a random man in the city by snapping his neck. In the anime he lets him go.
Just got to this point in my re-read, this followed by Gero having Yamcha's back is probably oen of the grimmest scenes in Z and its glorious.
Well, thats brutal.. yet nothing beats Freeza impales Krillin scenes (all of them :shock: )