Scrapped ideas that never come to be ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Scrapped ideas that never come to be ?

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:51 am

Well the other day I fall upon this picture

From what've heard it was for the Dragon Ball Z Movie 9 the one with Bojack. They looks like Vampire of some sort. Judging so by this picture we can obviously say that the original speech of the movie was slightly different than what we got. So do Dragon Ball as a whole as a lot of scrapped ideas like this one ? How many things Toei and Toriyama planed but never saw the light of the day ? I would love to have a full list of all the scrapped things that never come to be.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Scrapped ideas that never come to be ?

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:57 am

The most popular one is Toriyama wanting Gero and android 19 to be the main villains of the arc, before changing his mind to androids 17 and 18, before changing his mind again to Cell.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:49 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:57 am The most popular one is Toriyama wanting Gero and android 19 to be the main villains of the arc, before changing his mind to androids 17 and 18, before changing his mind again to Cell.
I wouldn’t exactly call that scrapped as much as the story changing direction.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:38 pm

Gokus friends training on Kaios planet as if it actually mattered.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:35 pm

Psajdak wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:38 pm Gokus friends training on Kaios planet as if it actually mattered.
What does that mean?

The only other I can think of is Gohan becoming the lead for the remainder of the story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:01 pm

The big example that comes to mind is the original concept for Battle of Gods, before Toriyama came onboard.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:12 pm

SSJ appears once per 1000 years, and is uncontrollable maniac https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQtyRLdKmyI
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:42 pm

Heck, I REMEMBER there being a thread on Kanzenshuu full of unused movie stuff, but I can't find it now.
Turles was supposed to have some different henchmen for one, there was even a scan of it.

Another one I know of is that Z Movie 12 was also supposed to have Cooler, Slug, Raditz and Nappa.
Doubt they would amount to anything though, not enough runtime to be a threat. Guess they didn't want to ruin their reputation :lol:

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:59 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:42 pm Heck, I REMEMBER there being a thread on Kanzenshuu full of unused movie stuff, but I can't find it now.
Turles was supposed to have some different henchmen for one, there was even a scan of it.

Another one I know of is that Z Movie 12 was also supposed to have Cooler, Slug, Raditz and Nappa.
Doubt they would amount to anything though, not enough runtime to be a threat. Guess they didn't want to ruin their reputation :lol:
GT might pay homage to that :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:19 pm

I vaguely recall reading in an interview around the time of Battle of Gods Toriyama said he'd like Vegeta to have a huge role in the next movie. I'm sure the fact his involvement in writing these movies and the arcs in Super is minimal at best probably has something to do with that, and TOEI likely has a fear of Goku being overshadowed not being a good thing.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:23 pm

the Namekian Book of Legends

Wizard Sesame
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wizard Sesame » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:20 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:01 pm The big example that comes to mind is the original concept for Battle of Gods, before Toriyama came onboard.
What else changed other than Beerus not being a lizard?

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:33 pm

Wizard Sesame wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:20 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:01 pm The big example that comes to mind is the original concept for Battle of Gods, before Toriyama came onboard.
Quite a lot. From what we know, the tone was originally much darker, and Toriyama rewrote the whole thing from the ground up. Beerus was conceptualised as a purely evil god who spreads darkness to whoever he touches (kinda like Cumber, really), hence his name -- it was originally a play on "virus" because he was meant to have these viral abilities, but Toriyama being Toriyama thought they were making an alcoholic drink pun. Toei's Beerus apparently didn't have any comedic quirks at all.

I don't recall who exactly came up with the Super Saiyan God concept, but Yamamuro had very different plans for it than Toriyama to say the least. Yamamuro basically sketched out a Super Saiyan 3.5 with a gaudy cape, whereas Toriyama heavily insisted on the much more minimalist design we have now.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:30 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:33 pm
Quite a lot. From what we know, the tone was originally much darker, and Toriyama rewrote the whole thing from the ground up. Beerus was conceptualised as a purely evil god who spreads darkness to whoever he touches (kinda like Cumber, really), hence his name -- it was originally a play on "virus" because he was meant to have these viral abilities, but Toriyama being Toriyama thought they were making an alcoholic drink pun. Toei's Beerus apparently didn't have any comedic quirks at all.

I don't recall who exactly came up with the Super Saiyan God concept, but Yamamuro had very different plans for it than Toriyama to say the least. Yamamuro basically sketched out a Super Saiyan 3.5 with a gaudy cape, whereas Toriyama heavily insisted on the much more minimalist design we have now.
Yeah, Toei’s concept for BoG sounded much more inline with something like GT. I don’t know how successful it would’ve been, but it’s fair to say that it would’ve been much more divisive than the movie we ended up getting.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:16 pm

Perfect Cell almost had hair, SS3 almost had a tail, and Bubbles was almost a Panda.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:25 am

I think other than Beerus being Virus it was suppose to take place at 18 and Kuririn’s wedding instead of Bulma’s birthday party?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:45 am

Wizard Sesame wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:20 pmWhat else changed other than Beerus not being a lizard?
1- The Movie was set during Krillin and 18's wedding.

2- Beerus was an evil lizard who infected planets with evil.

3- The Saiyans were originally good, but Beerus turned them evil.

4- Whis wasn't in the movie.

5- Vegeta's "my Bulma" scene wasn't in the movie.

6- Beerus turned everyone against Goku like how Baby did in GT.

7- SsjG would be muscular and have hair similar in length to Ssj4 with a cape.

8- Toriyama decided to have Goku lose the fight at the end to keep Beerus' image intact.

9- Toriyama told them to avoid destruction within the city to not remind people of the 2011 earthquake.

10- There were 3 original characters who stole the DBs, but Toriyama changed it to Pilaf and friends.

That's just what we know of, and as you can see, what we got was basically a completely different movie from what was pitched to Toriyama. This is why I wish Toriyama was this immersed in the stories that followed, as he can still write amazing and innovative stories when he puts his mind to it.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:15 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:45 am
Wizard Sesame wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:20 pmWhat else changed other than Beerus not being a lizard?
1- The Movie was set during Krillin and 18's wedding.

2- Beerus was an evil lizard who infected planets with evil.

3- The Saiyans were originally good, but Beerus turned them evil.

4- Whis wasn't in the movie.

5- Vegeta's "my Bulma" scene wasn't in the movie.

6- Beerus turned everyone against Goku like how Baby did in GT.

7- SsjG would be muscular and have hair similar in length to Ssj4 with a cape.

8- Toriyama decided to have Goku lose the fight at the end to keep Beerus' image intact.

9- Toriyama told them to avoid destruction within the city to not remind people of the 2011 earthquake.

10- There were 3 original characters who stole the DBs, but Toriyama changed it to Pilaf and friends.

That's just what we know of, and as you can see, what we got was basically a completely different movie from what was pitched to Toriyama. This is why I wish Toriyama was this immersed in the stories that followed, as he can still write amazing and innovative stories when he puts his mind to it.
It really sounds like the movie we would have gotten would’ve been little different than your generic DBZ movie from the ‘90s. Thank god Evolution made Toriyama cringe so hard he felt compelled to take action! :lol:

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:49 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:15 pmThank god Evolution made Toriyama cringe so hard he felt compelled to take action! :lol:
The only good thing to come from that train wreck.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:25 pm

Speaking of DBE, there’s also the rejected script that Ben Ramsey wrote.

http://thedaoofdragonball.com/pdfs/drag ... script.pdf