If Toei ever announces they'll do a Blu-ray Dragon box

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

If Toei ever announces they'll do a Blu-ray Dragon box

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:37 pm

who would import them?

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Re: If Toei ever announces they'll do a Blu-ray Dragon box

Post by CashmanX » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:55 pm

Only if it had:

-All the on disc extras from the 2003 release
-Color corrected
-Broadcast audio

It's going to take a lot for me to double dip after owning the R2 Dragon Boxes.
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:43 am

I'd wait a year or so to see if Funimation would, but if not I'd definitely get the original DB release.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:43 am

I'd probably wait for the localized version because Japanese Blu-Rays are ridiculously expensive. Manga UK will more than likely release anything Funimation does now that they are owned by them.

I also have serious doubts as to whether or not TOEI will ever do a HD remaster at this stage. They will be releasing One Piece on Blu-Ray soon, but it's on SD-BD only. If they did the same for Dragon Ball the quality difference between an SD-BD remaster and the Dragon Boxes wouldn't be very substantial. For Z specifically they also missed a golden opportunity with the 30th anniversary.

It should be noted too that in the west a new Blu-Ray release of Z may not sell well because now with the 30th anniversary remaster being seemingly standardized (Manga UK are releasing it in non-limited sets) a lot of fans will be willing to settle for it so Funimation and other companies may not see it as a worthwhile investment. And with physical media becoming more of a niche the potential customer base is even smaller. Funimation could rely on the casual buyer to an extent in 2009, but they definitely can't depend on them now.

OG DB and GT, if they got Blu-Ray releases may sell better than Z for once because other than the former being released by Selecta Vision neither of the two has been released post-DVD, so hopefully that happens soon.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:10 am

Even if it's just a SD Blu Ray using the same transfers as the original, they could easily fit that on 7 or 8 discs with all the extra content. A whole new, HD scan would be amazing. Toei did scan all of Dragon Ball Z and even some of Dragon Ball in HD for Kai, so if they still have that digital master, they could just use that.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:03 pm

At this point i just dont see the point in owning DVDs?

I bought the Broly steelbook because it looked nice and i wanted to show support, but i just cant jsutify helling out hundreds on a 40 year old tv show on an obsolete medium that most pieces of tech dont support anymore(God i miss disk drives).

If they released a streaming service with decent cuts of Z on(sub/ocean plz) then i'd be all over it, but i also wont be buying Dragon Ball on VHS.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:53 pm

JewyB wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:03 pm an obsolete medium that most pieces of tech dont support anymore(God i miss disk drives).
PS5 and Series X both have disc drives.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:57 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:53 pm
JewyB wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:03 pm an obsolete medium that most pieces of tech dont support anymore(God i miss disk drives).
Most.

I'm also not a gamer so i feel that, if i'm not willing to ivest hundreds into a collection of DVD's i wont invest hundreds into a machine to use said discs. Not trying to come off as rude just explaining why i dont think owning DVDs is worthwhile.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:17 pm

JewyB wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:57 pm
KBABZ wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:53 pm
Most.

I'm also not a gamer so i feel that, if i'm not willing to ivest hundreds into a collection of DVD's i wont invest hundreds into a machine to use said discs. Not trying to come off as rude just explaining why i dont think owning DVDs is worthwhile.
Hey, that's fair! Consoles are my go-to answer because the PS2 was a fantastic DVD player, the PS3 even at launch was cheaper than other, worse Blu-Ray Players, and the PS4 and PS5 come with a suite of media streaming services for the movies you want to watch but not own.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:18 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:17 pm Hey, that's fair! Consoles are my go-to answer because the PS2 was a fantastic DVD player, the PS3 even at launch was cheaper than other, worse Blu-Ray Players, and the PS4 and PS5 come with a suite of media streaming services for the movies you want to watch but not own.
I've been at the point of streaming everything pre-netflix so i'm probably a little bias. When it comes to games and things i hate streaming because you dont own the game, it can be taken from you immediately without payoff, lose your progress etc. But with movies? You get it taken off you, watch the last ten minutes elsewhere, easy, and you can't lose what you've watched prior.

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:22 pm

I probably would. as long as qtec doesnt do the scan and it isnt dnr'd to the point where the dbox looks better.

Boured

Post by Boured » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:48 pm

To be brutally honest I wouldn't care if its an SD-BD. I would settle for DBox footage on a Blu-ray, cause selling my kidney for an anime isnt far up on my to do list.
"If you'll let me, I'll never leave you."

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:19 am

I'd consider buying it but there are certain criteria that must be met before I could justify committing to buy it 100% from day 1.

1. A fresh scan of the 16mm film negatives (if they don't want to go through the trouble of scanning the negatives again I'd be content with the RAW uncompressed DBOX footage before it was compressed for DVD).

2. Careful color correction to restore the colors to what they should be.

3.Careful DVNR to remove some of the grain with as minimal perceptible detail loss as possible (somewhere between the Level sets and Kai would be the sweet spot IMHO).

4. Literal frame-by-frame cleanup of the footage.

5. Use the original broadcast audio.

6. Include ALL DVD extras from the original DBOX release in addition to the content that Toei didn't include with the original DBOX such as the textless opening and credits sequences that were missing from the original DBOX's.

If Toei did these things fans would FINALLY have the DEFINITIVE home release of DB/Z/GT but I doubt they would go through all of that effort even though DB/Z/GT is one of Toei's biggest properties around and deserves such a meticulous treatment, it just doesn't seem like something Toei would do given their previous history when it comes to their treatment of their older animated material, I could end up being wrong and Toei WOULD go through all of that effort but I'm not getting my hopes up with such an idea.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:54 am

It depends.

I'm so beaten and bruised by so many terrible releases that I don't even know anymore. That said if they just did something like the Spanish DB BD's for Z and GT I'd probably bite.

They're not incredible but they do benefit from the increased bitrate and are even a subtle improvement in some dark scenes where the DNR lead to ghosting on the original releases.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:43 am

At this point, after... what, four separate crappy releases, I'll wait until we have firm evidence on what the picture looks like before I spring on it.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:00 am

The only way I'm going to buy the series again is if it's raw untouched film transfer, or if it's the same remaster quality as the level sets, and I doubt we'll ever get either of those. We will probably be stuck with the anniversary blurays until a new video format comes out

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:38 am

Well UHD Blu-Rays are a thing, hopefully whenever Funimation announces they are releasing Dragon Ball Z on it we will get this format's equivalent of the Level sets.

Though I'd prefer to see OG Dragon Ball and GT on Blu-Ray before they milk Z yet again, which they unfortunately probably will.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Vorige Waffe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vorige Waffe » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:04 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:38 am Well UHD Blu-Rays are a thing, hopefully whenever Funimation announces they are releasing Dragon Ball Z on it we will get this format's equivalent of the Level sets.

Though I'd prefer to see OG Dragon Ball and GT on Blu-Ray before they milk Z yet again, which they unfortunately probably will.
You'd barely get any noticeable quality increase of 16mm film on UHD. Maybe the movies, but not the series. And I don't think Funimation can justify spending money on a 4K restoration of a 300 episode TV series even with Sony money.

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:41 pm

Now that the 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition remaster is available in Canada through the season steelbooks, I've decided they're good enough. They look way more presentable than the Orange Bricks or 2014 Blu-rays. With how long I've waited for a "cheap" way of owning the series in 4:3, I just want to grab these and never have to think about it again.

As nice as the Dragon Box releases are, I just don't care anymore.
Last edited by JustAlex1997 on Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:39 pm

JustAlex1997 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:41 pmNow that the 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition remaster is available in Canada through the season steelbooks, I've decided they're good enough. As nice as the Dragon Box releases are, I just don't care anymore.
I prefer Kai, but I definitely agree that at this point, these are good enough if you can't wait any longer for them to (potentially) give us something better.