is there any reason to get the season blu ray sets anymore?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

is there any reason to get the season blu ray sets anymore?

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:58 am

i personally enjoyed Widescreen

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: is there any reason to get the season blu ray sets anymore?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:01 am

Yeah, why not? Go for it. I like widescreen too, just not for Dragon Ball. Obviously, it would look snapper without the bars on the side, but that's the aspect ratio it was meant to be presented in. Worst case scenario, you can get the 4:3 and use the zoom feature on your TV.

But yeah, if you like them, that's what they're there for.

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:13 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:01 am Yeah, why not? Go for it. I like widescreen too, just not for Dragon Ball. Obviously, it would look snapper without the bars on the side, but that's the aspect ratio it was meant to be presented in. Worst case scenario, you can get the 4:3 and use the zoom feature on your TV.

But yeah, if you like them, that's what they're there for.
I have the 4:3 Steelbooks too

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:16 am

To clarify I Have the NEW dbZ steelbooks

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:56 am

No, as the new steelbooks are in the correct aspect ratio and have a better image overall...kind of.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:41 pm

No.

If you hate the dialled-up-to-eleven DNR+sharpening process more than cropping, or if you hate both equally but just want to pick whichever is cheapest, then the Orange Bricks are the better choice.
If you hate cropping more than the dialled-up-to-eleven DNR+sharpening process, then the 30th sets or steelbooks are the better choice.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:50 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:41 pmThe Orange Bricks are the better choice.
I wouldn't recommend those to my worst enemy, much less a fellow DB fan.

Lightningexpose
Banned

Post by Lightningexpose » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:25 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:50 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:41 pmThe Orange Bricks are the better choice.
I wouldn't recommend those to my worst enemy, much less a fellow DB fan.
They really do look better than the Season Sets though. The filtering process on that still maintains a more organic look than the filtering Funi used on Season Sets and 30A/steelbooks.

The latter look less organic in the sense that they have the incongruency of shading edges on characters (and BGs too) being far sharper than the line art... That's just not natural for this style of art. Shading edges can be sharp--as sharp as line art--but line art being blurrier/smudgier than shading edges is just totally unnatural. For all its faults, at least the orange bricks don't suffer from this and so ultimately end up looking more organic.

Good thing is, the 30A/Steelbooks have better colours than either the orange bricks or season sets if you lower the saturation and weaken the red channel a bit (except for some of season 3 I believe....crazy pink skin tones)

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:31 pm

No. The new releasse is crap but it passes the minimal bar of being in the correct adpect ratio. Generally think that the image quality is also improved from the seasson sets.

Still far below the Level sets and even the Dragon Boxes of course but not the worst option. Not something i would ever pay money for and support though. Frankly it continues to be embarrassing that Funimation has messed this up so many times.

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:16 pm

I really dont think so. the steel books(and i assume their eventual plasticbook counter parts) may not be perfect but they're very much better than the season sets. if you *need* 16:9 for whatever weird reason you can zoom in yourself. otherwise just enjoy the full image the way the show was animated. For all their faults they're the only currently sold in store release that lets you see the aspect ratio you were supposed to