What time of the year is considered "peak Dragon Ball" to you?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Iron Fjord
Beyond Newbie

What time of the year is considered "peak Dragon Ball" to you?

Post by The Iron Fjord » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:04 pm

It can be any time of the year (season/month/week) where you find yourself paying more attention to Dragon Ball. It could be a force of habit, or a vague sensation, or just a particular memory that you reserve a certain point of time in the year with DB than you usually do than at any other time of the year. For me it has to be November, because there's nothing much for me to do in the gap between Halloween and Christmas (As a Canadian, I already celebrated Thanksgiving in October).

Every year since like 2011, I always found myself paying closer attention to Dragon Ball around November, whether it be rewatching a series or re-reading the manga. Last year I wound up starting a rewatch of Dragon Ball GT around this time (it took me until like February to finish it because I got bored around episode 30). This year, I started to watch the Dragon Ball movies, because I have never really seen them before, having just finished Mystical Adventure, moving on to Dead Zone later tonight.

I don't know why I associate with DB strongly around this time of year, maybe because the lack of activity in my life between now and Christmas, and why 2011 stuck out so much, but I just do. Is there any particular time of the year you find yourself more engrossed in Dragon Ball than normally?
The Iron Fjord will kick you in the nuts!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What time of the year is considered "peak Dragon Ball" to you?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:36 pm

Gotta say this new topic is awesome! I gotta say the August and September in General is great for Dragon Ball. Its when new shows are premiered.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:06 pm

May because that's when many of the important events in the series happened
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:13 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:06 pm May because that's when many of the important events in the series happened
Dragon Ball tends to have most of its big events in the spring/summer in general. Also Piccolo day.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:20 pm

Summer because of nostalgia of long marathons on TV during school holidays.

And October-December because we always used to get a new game during that period.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:42 pm

Summer and Fall. Because me and my best friend would spend all summer looking up facts about the show and learning about all of the material that was censored and then we'd go to school and brag about what we knew! Lol! Who the hell am I kidding, we still do that!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:24 pm

I guess Spring/Summer? That seems to be when most of the events in original story unfold. The first arc is set during the summer. Piccolo’s day was on May 9th meaning most likely the 22nd Budokai and Daimao arc take place in May. 19 and 20 arrive on May 12 and so the Cyborg/Cell arc takes place in May. Assuming Gohan didn’t start high school like in the middle of the school year the Boo arc likely takes place in April ish

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:45 pm

Usually the fall/winter as that's when major announcements tend to take place, mostly thanks to Jump Festa.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:14 am

For me, I always want to start Dragon Ball in the Summertime. Not sure why, but literally every single year, without fail, I find myself wanting to start from Episode 001 in July or August
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:53 am

PacificOceanDub wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:14 am For me, I always want to start Dragon Ball in the Summertime. Not sure why, but literally every single year, without fail, I find myself wanting to start from Episode 001 in July or August
The story does begin in the summer.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:18 pm

As far as I'm concerned, May is the Dragon Ball month. May 1st is Bardock Day, May 7th is the day of the World Martial Arts Tournament and also Go-Chi Day (for the Goku x Chi-Chi pairing), May 8th is Gohan Day, May 9th is Goku Day and Piccolo Day, May 10th is Goten Day, May 12th is the day of the appearance of the androids, and May 26th is when the Cell Games took place. There might be more, too, but these are the ones I remember off the top of my head. Based on all those dates (some of which are in-universe and others which are more "corporate"), it's gotta be May. For me, anyway.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:27 pm

Alruneia wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:18 pm As far as I'm concerned, May is the Dragon Ball month. May 1st is Bardock Day, May 7th is the day of the World Martial Arts Tournament and also Go-Chi Day (for the Goku x Chi-Chi pairing), May 8th is Gohan Day, May 9th is Goku Day and Piccolo Day, May 10th is Goten Day, May 12th is the day of the appearance of the androids, and May 26th is when the Cell Games took place. There might be more, too, but these are the ones I remember off the top of my head. Based on all those dates (some of which are in-universe and others which are more "corporate"), it's gotta be May. For me, anyway.
Why is May 1st Bardock Day?

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:19 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:27 pm
Alruneia wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:18 pm As far as I'm concerned, May is the Dragon Ball month. May 1st is Bardock Day, May 7th is the day of the World Martial Arts Tournament and also Go-Chi Day (for the Goku x Chi-Chi pairing), May 8th is Gohan Day, May 9th is Goku Day and Piccolo Day, May 10th is Goten Day, May 12th is the day of the appearance of the androids, and May 26th is when the Cell Games took place. There might be more, too, but these are the ones I remember off the top of my head. Based on all those dates (some of which are in-universe and others which are more "corporate"), it's gotta be May. For me, anyway.
Why is May 1st Bardock Day?
Excellent question, I have no idea. My guess is that it's because May has Goku Day and all that, and as Goku's father, Bardock comes "first"... maybe. I didn't come up with it. I've just seen that at least part of the Japanese fandom celebrates May 1st as Bardock Day, so more Bardock art than usual appears on pixiv around that time, for example.
Here's an artwork like that. The text in the image, not counting the artist's signature, is "2020 5/1 バーダックの日記念!", which translates to "2020 May 1st Bardock Day Commemoration!". (Just to show that I'm not pulling it out of thin air.)
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:35 pm

It's all about pun and pronunciation. Speaking those dates is similar to the pronunciation of the names. I also remember that there is Saiyans Day, Nappa Day and Gogeta Day. I forgot the exact date for them, though.

EDIT: Anyway, after a few minutes searching, found the Tweet in which Herms made a list about it:

We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:10 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:35 pm It's all about pronunciation. Speaking those dates are similar to the pronunciation of the names, just like saying "Goku" is similar to saying "May 9th" in Japanese.

I also remember that there is Saiyans Day, Nappa Day and Gogeta Day. I forgot the exact date for them, though.
You're right on that one...
...but I can't think of any way to turn 5/1 into something that relates to Bardock, so I don't think it's as simple as that.

Actually, now that I've searched around a bit, it looks like the joke for Bardock Day is a kind of forced pun thing.
5/1 is read as "five one". Then you look at the one as a "stick" or a "rod" (In Japanese, the symbol for 1 is 一, so you can see the logic). The Japanese word used for the sticks/rods here is "bou" (棒). Five sticks/rods is "gobou" (五棒). "Gobou" is the Japanese word for "burdock". That's the connection. (source in Japanese)
Sheesh. Honestly I think I prefer my guess over this explanation.

Edit: Oh, you found something on it already. Oh well.