Why do so many people dislike GT Pan?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Why do so many people dislike GT Pan?

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:37 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:15 pmPan’s abuse of Gill isn’t an especially endearing quality.
This 100%. I'm surprised I forgot to mention it. It comes across as needlessly mean spirited.

We have a character who is obnoxiously disrespectful to pretty much everyone, causes problems for others while contributing nothing, is caught up in her own self importance, and is also a bully to top it all off.

By the Baby Saga she's significantly improved in all these areas, but it took awhile to get there.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:05 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:45 pm
ABED wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:56 am What is annoying is a matter of opinion and the characters don't have to be likeable, they just have to be interesting and contribute to the story.
Obviously it's my opinion. The topic asks "Why do people dislike GT Pan?", so I gave my opinion as to why. How else am I supposed to reply?

And I never said she has to be likeable. She just shouldn't be annoying because nobody enjoys watching an annoying character.
That's not helpful.

People dislike her because she's annoying. Okay, why is she annoying?
We have a character who is obnoxiously disrespectful to pretty much everyone
Again, not disrespectful, she's a child!
We have a character who is obnoxiously disrespectful to pretty much everyone, causes problems for others while contributing nothing, is caught up in her own self importance, and is also a bully to top it all off.

By the Baby Saga she's significantly improved in all these areas, but it took awhile to get there.
She's a child! She improves because that's what they call a character arc. She's immature and her experiences help her mature.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:22 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:05 pm
ABED wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:56 am What is annoying is a matter of opinion and the characters don't have to be likeable, they just have to be interesting and contribute to the story.
Obviously it's my opinion. The topic asks "Why do people dislike GT Pan?", so I gave my opinion as to why. How else am I supposed to reply?

And I never said she has to be likeable. She just shouldn't be annoying because nobody enjoys watching an annoying character.
That's not helpful.

She's a child! She improves because that's what they call a character arc. She's immature and her experiences help her mature.
I've already gone into detail about why she's annoying. Have you actually read my posts?

And I don't know why you keep bringing up her being a child. An annoying character is an annoying character, regardless of whether their age justifies it. It may be realistic, but being realistic doesn't automatically make it enjoyable to watch.

I say she's disrespectful, you say she's a child. Okay so she's a disrespectful child. You act like the 2 are mutually exclusive.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:24 pm

If Super ever has a timeskip I wonder how Pan's personality would be handled in the modern era.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:44 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:22 pm
ABED wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:05 pm

That's not helpful.

I've already gone into detail about why she's annoying. Have you actually read my posts?

And I don't know why you keep bringing up her being a child. An annoying character is an annoying character, regardless of whether their age justifies it. It may be realistic, but being realistic doesn't automatically make it enjoyable to watch.

I say she's disrespectful, you say she's a child. Okay so she's a disrespectful child. You act like the 2 are mutually exclusive.
I keep bringing up her being a child in reference to you calling her disrespectful. Kids are impetuous and often temperamental not because they are willfully disrespectful but simply because they are immature and haven't reached the age where they are cognizant of other people's feelings to the extant an adult is.

Yes I did read and your big explanation boils down to her being annoying because she's disrespectful.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:12 am

Pan sucks because she's constantly damsel'd and complains all the time, but unlike someone like Bulma, none of the cast play off her particularly well. And in a fighting show, she gets a ton of screentime for how weak she is.

On top of that, she's just wasted potential. Trunks and Goten (even Gohan, really) were too, but they at least had some moments, even if they had to be stuck together to do it. Pan doesn't get a cool fight, despite being ostensibly quite strong and having as much potential power as any saiyan. You'd think that the daughter of Gohan, getting to be one of the main characters in a Dragon Ball show, would merit some level of growth, both personal and physical, on her part, but it really doesn't. She's loud and mean and weak at the start of the show and loud and mean and weak at the end.

Also, this semantic argument over what does or doesn't count as "disrespect" is really stupid.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:19 am

I'm not sure that the show really lasted long enough for Pan to have any character growth or realize any potential. With a few more sagas, who knows.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:07 am

The show had 64 episodes, the same amount as Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

Obviously not wholly comparable, but any show can create significant character growth in huge casts with a length like that, it's just about who you hire, how you work, and what you want.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:44 am

Yeah but it felt like to me that GT was taking a slow burn in terms of character development. Like they wanted to do it gradually over hundreds of episodes instead of the 64 they got.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:00 am

Shaddy wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:12 am Also, this semantic argument over what does or doesn't count as "disrespect" is really stupid.
No one asked.

And Pan does have a moment, one very significant memorable moment at the very least, when a sweet memory of Goku and Pan at the beach causes Goku to regain control and transform into SSJ4. It's a wonderful emotionally resonant scene. I agree that she's mostly in the role of the damsel, but I think she plays off well with the rest of the cast.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:39 pm

It’s a stretch to say that Pan doesn’t get any important moments over the course of the show. She’s the second most prominent character after Goku himself. She gets more noteworthy moments than Gohan and Goten, whose biggest contributions are getting possessed and giving energy to Goku twice.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:49 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:39 pm It’s a stretch to say that Pan doesn’t get any important moments over the course of the show. She’s the second most prominent character after Goku himself. She gets more noteworthy moments than Gohan and Goten, whose biggest contributions are getting possessed and giving energy to Goku twice.
This is really an indictment of GT more than anything else.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:53 pm

Pan also helps defeat two of the Shadow Dragons in the last arc.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:01 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:44 am Yeah but it felt like to me that GT was taking a slow burn in terms of character development. Like they wanted to do it gradually over hundreds of episodes instead of the 64 they got.
GT was never intended to last that long, as both the writers and Toriyama said it was only meant to extended things for "a bit longer". The writers even had the ending in mind while the show was in pre-production.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:41 pm

GT disappointed me with their treatment of Pan and Uub, given the way they were set up at the end of Z they should have been a lot stronger than they were, and Pan should have been able to use Super Saiyan.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:10 am

I will say though, that a young girl and her grandfather going on adventures and fighting evil is an interesting setup for a story that I don't believe I've seen done anywhere else.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:56 am

It's because she acts bratty, constantly causes problems, disrespects Goku, and abuses Giru. Also doesn't help the writer flatout said she only existed to be a dansel-in-distress for Goku to rescue.

It's also made even worse considering she's the daughter of Gohan and granddaughter of Goku and Mr. Satan. She has their quirks but absolutely none of the qualities that made them endearing.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:04 am

It is because she is super annoying and she has too much of a big role in GT. Her role in the Shadow Dragon saga could have been gone to someone else like Gohan.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:50 am

Because how bratty and obnoxious she can be. The dub makes her even more annoying, but then again, that was one of the many problems with Funimation's dubs at the time, they made Bulma and Chi-Chi overly obnoxious and one-note. Yamcha comes across as rather unlikable with some of the dialogue he's given and Sabat does not help matters with his rather poor acting at the time.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:25 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:50 am Because how bratty and obnoxious she can be. The dub makes her even more annoying, but then again, that was one of the many problems with Funimation's dubs at the time, they made Bulma and Chi-Chi overly obnoxious and one-note. Yamcha comes across as rather unlikable with some of the dialogue he's given and Sabat does not help matters with his rather poor acting at the time.
The anime in general made Chi-Chi overly obnoxious and one-note. Also, what specific dialogue does the FUNimation dub give Yamcha that makes him unlikable? Are you talking about the cat loves food thing?