Kirby Morrow, Third Canadian Voice of Goku, Passes Away

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Kirby Morrow, Third Canadian Voice of Goku, Passes Away

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:12 pm

While it's a wonderful and beautiful comment, it's best to link directly to the source-

https://twitter.com/BrianDrummondVO/sta ... 6057369601

There's a lot of love for Ocean Studios work in Casa de EX. Truly a voice that will be missed.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:01 am

OmegaRockman wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:42 pm https://www.gateworld.net/news/2020/11/ ... dies-at-47

Jesus, I grew up hearing him in Inuyasha and I loved him in the Escaflowne dub. I think he was about to come back for Yashahime, too. 2020 is just an awful year. I wish all the best to his family and friends.
Even though I was not a big fan of the Ocean Westwood dub, here in Canada I grew up with Kirby voicing Goku from the middle of the Cell Games Saga till the end of the series.

My condolences goes out to his family and friends.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:18 pm

It's not my intent to revive a sad subject, but people in this thread were asking about how Kirby died. I felt it would be inappropriate of me to speculate, so I didn't. In light of news shared by his brother, however, I felt perhaps it might bring some clarity to those who were seeking answers in this tragedy. Kirby's brother, Casey, has now publicly stated...

"We all want answers and to find some explanation, some closure some sense in the senselessness of all this. The coroner tells us that Kirby died from a long history of substance abuse. And his body finally could not keep up."

The source for this--as well as an expanded story--can be found here. This, plus another related story written before that one indicates that Kirby also suffered from depression. These stories seem to me to paint the picture of someone who portrayed himself as being OK but, quietly, kept a lot of suffering to himself. As someone who has suffered on and off from depression, that got to me a little. I mention all this only to say...if there's a friend in your life who, ehhh, even if you're pretty sure they're OK, but you're not totally sure about that...ask them if they're OK. Ask them if they want to talk, and let them know you're there for them. Trust me, it means more than you may realize.

Anyway. Sorry to get a little personal like that. I'll repeat what I said earlier: Kirby was beyond talented, and by all accounts he seemed like a very kind person. May he rest in peace.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:55 pm

Addiction and depression are awful diseases that I wish on no person. I only wish Mr. Morrow was able to get the help he needed. Such a terrible loss.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube