Dragon Ball on MeTV's Kids Block? Yay or Nay?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Dragon Ball on MeTV's Kids Block? Yay or Nay?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:56 am

So. MeTV has a new kids block of classic cartoons. And Dragon Ball will be 40 on 2024...

I know, at this point its a dead rotten pulpy horse... But it could do great there! Its higher rated than CN AND it could introduce new people to anime. I know anime is now more mainstream than ever. But the whole charm of classic TV is irresistible to me.

https://metv.com/stories/saturday-morni ... is-january
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball on MeTV's Kids Block? Yay or Nay?

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:03 am

I'm happy to see DB anywhere, especially the original.If it can introduce new fans to it then I'm all for it.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:13 am

MeTV has some talented editors who make fun commercials for the shows they run in a way that reminds me of the old commercials Nick at Nite used to create only with more advanced software.

That said, reading the article it looks more like they're aiming for comedy than action-adventure so even if it's old enough, the genre probably wouldn't fit.

I'd be happy to have it on there though; would love to see some MeTV-style commercials for DB.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:56 am

If they're bringing stuff like Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes on there... the question is whether they'll be censored to at least the standards of modern-day Cartoon Network/Boomerang broadcasts, if not more so.

If they are, well, the only versions of DB meant to fit broadcast standards (as opposed to cable) are HG DB 1-5 and the double feature (though wasn't the censorship on it not as strict as the series?), Funi/BLT DB 1-13 (and presumably DB Movie 1), Funi/Saban DBZ 1-53 and DBZ Movie 3, and Funi/4Kids&Saban Kai 1-98. The possibility of them using uncut masters is pretty much zero, and the possibility of using edited-for-cable masters, at least without further edits, is probably unlikely.....

...of course, they might end up sidestepping the problem by giving edited-for-cable material a blanket TV-PG-V rating.

(and by edited for cable, I meant stuff aiming for daytime television, not stuff like the Adult Swim Toonami variants of shows)
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:21 am

......the shows they’re using were popular Saturday Morning cartoons from the 60s in the US. It’s meant to appeal to boomer nostalgia. Dragon Ball wouldn’t fit with that channel in any way.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:24 am

Danfun64 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:56 am If they're bringing stuff like Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes on there... the question is whether they'll be censored to at least the standards of modern-day Cartoon Network/Boomerang broadcasts, if not more so.

If they are, well, the only versions of DB meant to fit broadcast standards (as opposed to cable) are HG DB 1-5 and the double feature (though wasn't the censorship on it not as strict as the series?), Funi/BLT DB 1-13 (and presumably DB Movie 1), Funi/Saban DBZ 1-53 and DBZ Movie 3, and Funi/4Kids&Saban Kai 1-98. The possibility of them using uncut masters is pretty much zero, and the possibility of using edited-for-cable masters, at least without further edits, is probably unlikely.....

...of course, they might end up sidestepping the problem by giving edited-for-cable material a blanket TV-PG-V rating.

(and by edited for cable, I meant stuff aiming for daytime television, not stuff like the Adult Swim Toonami variants of shows)
Uncut is overrated! There I said it. Sure, it would be a fucking slap in the face to have edited DVD's but for a broadcast its fine to have edits. We know Funimation makes edited versions of their dubs.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:58 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:21 am ......the shows they’re using were popular Saturday Morning cartoons from the 60s in the US. It’s meant to appeal to boomer nostalgia. Dragon Ball wouldn’t fit with that channel in any way.
If there would be any sort of anime on that block we would probably see Speed Racer (Mach GoGoGo) and Astro Boy (Mighty Atom) since they were pretty popular for a bit among that generation.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:16 am

On another note though, kinda sad to see MeTV act like the last bastion of classic cartoons on cable TV. Ever since Boomerang became Cartoon Network's dumping ground in 2015 it barely lives up to it's glory days. Like the only lick of classic cartoons you'll see on that channel any days is an hour long block of Looney Tunes and a block for Tom and Jerry. Everything else will be from the 21st century.

What about the rest of the Hanna Barbera, Ruby-Spears, MGM, Paramount, and Warner Bros libraries of cartoons they own the rights to? Pfft as if, they are nowhere to be found, and can now only be watched with their subscription service streaming app.

Wanna own the cartoons instead? Well Warner still has plenty of the old Hanna Barbera cartoons in print, but even then there are some pitfalls , having to deal with incomplete releases (Read : The Huckleberry Hound Show), or have a show outright have no home release at all (Read : Ruff and Reddy)

I know it may sound extremely nerdy to rant about stuff like that, but that's just how I am.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:39 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:58 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:21 am ......the shows they’re using were popular Saturday Morning cartoons from the 60s in the US. It’s meant to appeal to boomer nostalgia. Dragon Ball wouldn’t fit with that channel in any way.
If there would be any sort of anime on that block we would probably see Speed Racer (Mach GoGoGo) and Astro Boy (Mighty Atom) since they were pretty popular for a bit among that generation.
Dont forget Battle Of The Planets!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:52 am

https://www.nexttv.com/news/turning-10- ... t-10-years

Ratings are out! The block averaged 500,000 viewers!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:57 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:52 am https://www.nexttv.com/news/turning-10- ... t-10-years

Ratings are out! The block averaged 500,000 viewers!
And it’s still never going to air any Dragon Ball show

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:05 am

For those wondering:I dont know if the cartoons are edited but MeTV did something unprecedented and just gave everything a TV PG rating. NOW I REALLY WANT Dragon Ball on that block.

And yes, I know it wont happen.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:55 am

In yet another exciting episode of "Things that Cure Dragon Wants to Happen but never will" MeTV made a whole article and Facebook post about Astro Boy, it has many typos but its heartwarming to see those Boomers interested in Anime... and it could also mean MeTV is indeed looking for anime.

Hold your horses MasenkoHa! I know it wont mean DRAGON BALL will air there. But it is quite amazing that Boomers can get to see anime again on that block.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:25 pm

Half a million views for network TV in this day and age ain't half-bad.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:39 pm

This is why you are the rising star on my list of fave Kanzenshuu members. Welcome back Planet Namek!

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:29 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:39 pm This is why you are the rising star on my list of fave Kanzenshuu members. Welcome back Planet Namek!
Glad to be back, honestly it was good for me to be away for a few months.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 03, 2021 3:45 pm

"MeTV+" channel to debut May 15, 2021 in Chicago and Phoenix and possibly in other Weigel-owned tv stations (Los Angeles, San Francisco,, Milwaukee, St Louis, Houston, Salt Lake City, Hartford-New Haven CT, Seattle, Nashville, Glenwood Spring CO, Dallas, South Bend IN) and other cities in later periods as a digital subchannel. The Morning MeTV Toon In With Me show to be rerun at night on the new channel at 11pm Central. Night time toons for those missing the show in the morning. https://www.robertfeder.com/.../weigel-expands.../...

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Wed May 05, 2021 1:12 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:56 am So. MeTV has a new kids block of classic cartoons. And Dragon Ball will be 40 on 2024...

I know, at this point its a dead rotten pulpy horse... But it could do great there! Its higher rated than CN AND it could introduce new people to anime. I know anime is now more mainstream than ever. But the whole charm of classic TV is irresistible to me.

https://metv.com/stories/saturday-morni ... is-january
Oh god no, unless they do a redub hell fucking no.

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Wed May 05, 2021 8:10 am

id like it if they did, let a new generation of kids grow up with DB. If the tv station demands edited episodes, we know funi still has those. more db on air cant be bad imo, yes even gt and super.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:54 am

Sounds good to me, if this helps get more kids into DBZ that don't have cable that's a plus in my book.