Dragon Ball on MeTV's Kids Block? Yay or Nay?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball on MeTV's Kids Block? Yay or Nay?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:38 pm

dragonmagico wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:10 am id like it if they did, let a new generation of kids grow up with DB. If the tv station demands edited episodes, we know funi still has those. more db on air cant be bad imo, yes even gt and super.
Edited yes but let’s remember that Funimation’s dub of the original Dragon Ball, Z (Ginyu Assault to Goku’s Next Journey only), and GT were edited for the standards of cable which is far more lax than the standards of broadcast network tv such as MeTv. Plus iirc the Faulconer lawsuit made it so Faulconer received royalties if any episodes with his music are played on television (I could be misremembering that part so somebody please correct me if that’s wrong)

And I just can’t see Funimation providing networks with their tapes for the BLT dub of Dragon Ball or their Ocean dub of Z.

So really only their KidsWb edit of Dragon Ball Kai would be eligible for network broadcast.

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:45 pm

they dont need to give blt tapes. they have 1-13 edited with their inhouse dub like was shown on toonami

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:56 pm

dragonmagico wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:45 pm they dont need to give blt tapes. they have 1-13 edited with their inhouse dub like was shown on toonami

Edited yes but let’s remember that Funimation’s dub of the original Dragon Ball , Z (Ginyu Assault to Goku’s Next Journey only), and GT were edited for the standards of cable which is far more lax than the standards of broadcast network tv such as MeTV

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:28 pm

MeTV actually airs the most violent Looney Tunes cartoons with almost no censorship. The only censorship so far was that tasteless Sunken Japanese Battle Ship joke.

EDIT: OH! And the block is for adults and carries a TV PG rating.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

The Iron Fjord
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Iron Fjord » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:26 am

Kids don't watch MeTV, or their cartoons, only if their boomer grandparents watch it with them. Hell, I didn't even know MeTV existed until I found out about Svengoolie, and that's the only thing I really watch.
The Iron Fjord will kick you in the nuts!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:17 am

I hope there does come a day where grandparents introduce their grandchildren to Dragon Ball.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:21 am

I am just glad dragon ball is getting considered, sometimes they would split cartoons and anime into different categories or just not taking anime into account so it's good news, thanks for the info.