Orange bricks: any reason to buy them these days?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

Orange bricks: any reason to buy them these days?

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:24 am

is there any reason to buy them anymore? i know they're bad but i guess if its for only collectors

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: the Orande bricks?

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:31 pm

In my opinion, the Orange Bricks at their very worse looked worse than the Season Blu-rays at their worst (the line erasure can get really bad at times). At the same time, at their best, they looked better than the Season Blu-rays at their best (due to not sharpening/smearing the image).

In any case, it's all irrelevant with the 30th Anniversary master. It shares most of the same flaws as the Season Blu-rays, but it actually being in 4:3 alone makes it a major upgrade. Even so... the Levels, Dragon Boxes... perhaps even the singles look better than the 30th Anniversary because of said sharpening/smearing.

Still, they have different audio mixes compared to the Season Blu-rays and the 30th Anniversary Blu-rays (which I assume share the same audio mixes between them). I think the OB audio mixes don't fully match each other (with the Kikuchi audio mix having differences other than being in 5.1 and the difference in soundtracks with the Johnson/Faulconer audio mix). Also, I think they have more errors than the Season Blu-ray/30th Anniversary audio mix. Unfortunately, nobody ever did a comprehensive comparison between the various audio mixes of the dub.

In any case, I think it's still sold in stores as the casual DVD option, so it becoming a collector's item isn't happening yet...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:44 pm

Kingbrockstar1995 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:24 am is there any reason to buy them anymore? i know they're bad but i guess if its for only collectors
The Dragon Boxesand Rock the Dragon are the only “collectors items” Orange Bricks are still cheap and accessible and the go to for fans who haven’t upgraded to Blue Ray.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:44 am

Danfun64 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:31 pmIn any case, I think it's still sold in stores as the casual DVD option, so it becoming a collector's item isn't happening yet...
I think the OP is referring more to the collector's who will buy anything with the words Dragon Ball slapped onto it, not necessarily for having stuff that's valuable.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:16 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:44 am
Danfun64 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:31 pmIn any case, I think it's still sold in stores as the casual DVD option, so it becoming a collector's item isn't happening yet...
I think the OP is referring more to the collector's who will buy anything with the words Dragon Ball slapped onto it, not necessarily for having stuff that's valuable.
i wasnt exactly thinking that but i guess that could still be good enough for a reason

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:38 am

Kingbrockstar1995 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:16 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:44 am
i wasnt exactly thinking that but i guess that could still be good enough for a reason
That's why I buy the stuff, quite honestly. I really like comparing the video from all of the different releases. I'm also always hopeful that the new release will be better than the last and always try to give it the benefit of the doubt. For example, I thought, "Hey, maybe the 30th anniversary set will look better than on the commercial because they didn't actually finish it or they still have time to listen to the fans' complaints or maybe it'll look different than in a tiny video box online." But somehow, Funimation always finds a way to disappoint.

If you're looking for an inexpensive, condensed collection of the series on DVD just to watch it for the story and don't really care much about the integrity of the video quality, then the orange bricks are your only real go-to.

Kingbrockstar1995
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kingbrockstar1995 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:26 am

i loved seeing shenron formed on the spines

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:53 am

Kingbrockstar1995 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:26 am i loved seeing shenron formed on the spines
Aside from way too much orange, it did have some cool art. It's just... paper, y'know? How many of them got partially torn because I'd be taking those crappy plastic security tags off and they'd peel part of the box.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:07 pm

The only reason I can think of is if someone likes the art enough to want them in their collection. Apart from that, they have 0 value for anyone.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:18 pm

If you wanna have clear conscience while watching fanmade edits with original broadcast, you might as well get cheapest possible official release :P
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:08 pm

I know the orange bricks are bad, I've had them since release and I honestly like them a lot.

There's a few disks that are getting worn out though, (it'll very rarely freeze on some spots) but I can ignore the line shaky crap.

An I dont wanna shell out another $300 for a series I already have. Maybe once my Orange Bricks die completely :lol:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:07 pm

I have the entire set, all of which i got second hand a few years back at a pawn shop and watched a ways before i very quickly became dissatisfied with their terrible visual quality/cropped fake widescreen presentation and really started in acquiring the Dragon Boxes. Nowadays they mostly just sit on the top shelf of my closet as a display piece with the Shenron spine image out as it's been quite a long time since i last watched any of them as the Dragon Boxes have become my definitive way to watch the series. Basically, they're just gathering dust now as i will most likely never actually be viewing the series in that format ever again.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Mr.Poot

Re: Orange bricks: any reason to buy them these days?

Post by Mr.Poot » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:51 am

I guess if you're super tight on money and want to watch all of Z, they're an easy and cheap way to own the series.

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:44 am

Was there ever really a good reasson to buy them? I don't think i could even watch them if offered for free, let alone pay for them. The problems with this set are too numerous and large to ignore. These would look worse than ever nowadays on a 4K display upscaled. Just thinking about how bad the footage might look is enough to give me a headache.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:03 am

VDenter wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:44 am Was there ever really a good reasson to buy them?
It's been said many times but they were once the only affordable way of owning the entire series. It's easy to forget how expensive the singles were now that most of them can be found so cheaply second hand, and they were incomplete. The orange bricks are of course a heavy flawed release, but considering the success DBZ was around the world their success, given the circumstances in 2007 their success was pretty much inevitable.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:05 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:03 am
VDenter wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:44 am Was there ever really a good reasson to buy them?
It's been said many times but they were once the only affordable way of owning the entire series. It's easy to forget how expensive the singles were now that most of them can be found so cheaply second hand, and they were incomplete. The orange bricks are of course a heavy flawed release, but considering the success DBZ was around the world their success, given the circumstances in 2007 their success was pretty much inevitable.
I don't think their price was really a good reason to own them. Really that just signalled to Funimation that products like it are OK and the Orange Bricks did more harm to the franchise long term. I can understand that the price was appealing and alternative options were limited in 2007, but that is not really a good reason to support something that you know is crap. Especially since Funimation even lied to the fans in their marketing.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:12 pm

At the time they were the most affordable and convenient way for someone to own all 291 episodes in Japanese and English. Especially since Funimation screwed the pooch on the Ultimate Uncut episodes getting a decent release twice. (There’s the Dragon Boxes but those are A. Expensive B. Not a viable option for that segment of fans that want the dub with the dub score)

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:45 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:12 pm Especially since Funimation screwed the pooch on the Ultimate Uncut episodes getting a decent release twice.
Man I'm still salty over the Ultimate Uncuts. So much money wasted. That and the "Lost Episodes" bullshit with GT they pulled made me never really look at them with much respect after that.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:08 am

Son Gara wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:45 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:12 pm Especially since Funimation screwed the pooch on the Ultimate Uncut episodes getting a decent release twice.
Man I'm still salty over the Ultimate Uncuts. So much money wasted. That and the "Lost Episodes" bullshit with GT they pulled made me never really look at them with much respect after that.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but...didnt they actually finished re-dubbing Saiyan and Namek Saga, but instead of releasing it on DVD, they just aired them on TV?
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:44 am

coola wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:08 am
Son Gara wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:45 am
Correct me if I'm wrong, but...didnt they actually finished re-dubbing Saiyan and Namek Saga, but instead of releasing it on DVD, they just aired them on TV?
The Saiyan/Namek 1-67 redub aired in full late nights on CN as the DVDs were coming out concurrently, the first run broadcast was from June to October 2005 and the UUE had started releasing a few months ahead of time in April '05. It wasn't until May or June of the following year after the second disc of the Vegeta Saga II set released that the line was silently canceled by FUNi behind closed doors as we all know.

So yes, they fully intended to go from episode 1 to 67 with the Ultimate Uncut line until the abrupt radio silent cancellation in summer '06 torpedoed that.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)