NEWS: Sony's Funimation Global Group to Acquire Crunchyroll for US$1.175 Billion in Cash

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

NEWS: Sony's Funimation Global Group to Acquire Crunchyroll for US$1.175 Billion in Cash

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:26 am

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... sh/.167254

I didnt know Funimation had THAT MUCH MONEY!!!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: NEWS: Sony's Funimation Global Group to Acquire Crunchyroll for US$1.175 Billion in Cash

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:17 am

I love this trend of massive corporations buying out their competition, leading to massive monopolies.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: NEWS: Sony's Funimation Global Group to Acquire Crunchyroll for US$1.175 Billion in Cash

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:06 am

I think this was inevitable. Funimation is quickly becoming the Disney of anime. I wonder what this means for Crunchyroll's planned physical media operations? Guess now they will all be distributed under Funimation's name, and maybe Manga UK for it's territories?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:31 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:26 am https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... sh/.167254

Fuck. You have got to be kidding us, now we have another streaming service bought by another corporation with their own streaming service (glares at The Mouse).
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:11 pm

i dont know if funi did, but sony does, they bought the entire subsidiary that owns CR and a couple other things.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:06 pm

Since Sony is a Japanese conglomerate, I guess it’s only fitting that they would own the biggest service for watching anime.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:58 pm

I wish they'd break up some of these monopolies, but I realize that they don't because people are either too comfortable with the benefits of fast shipping or benefits they get from these companies themselves.

It's unfortunate. Even though I wasn't the biggest fan of Crunchyroll, I'd rather see some competition between them and Funi than see them merge.

(Though I do think I read the other day someone is trying to break up Facebook.)
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:46 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:26 am https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... sh/.167254

If Sony owns FUNimation, it's really Sony money

I just hope they don't jack up subscription fees

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:03 am

Well I hope my VRV account dosen't get messed up or a price hike some how because At&t offers me free VRV as long as my mobile account is active.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:12 am

Damn and to think this is the same company that fired their original cheap ADR studio to save cash and used screen grabs for home video cover art.

Started from the bottom now they’re here. The Walt Disney of dubbing companies

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:00 pm

"The union of Funimation and Crunchyroll is a win for anime fans around the world" I really admire people who can lie without blinking eye :P Disregarding my problems with Funimation, I'm overall against it, look at games, it never end well, Bullfrog? Gone, Origin? Gone, etc. Blizzard is shadow of it's former self after getting acquired by Activision.
That how it usually ends
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:01 am

I'm as against corporate monopolies as anyone, but it's crazy how far FUNimation has come. When they started on DBZ they were basically starting with zero with no money and now they're this multibillion dollar juggernaut.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:47 am

Now Funimation will end up dubbing every anime that comes to the west just because of the sheer power that they have over the anime market. Gone are the days of alternative dubs for anime, the era of the Funimation monopoly has begun. If you think the Funimation home releases were bad before, watch what they do now once they don't have to care what fans think because of their market power. They'll probably fry the image, add a green tint and call it a day. "In the best way possible" "Ultimate Edition" "4:3 aspect ratio" "HIGH DEFINITION".
Man I think I'm scaring myself....

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:19 am

Come to think of it, I wonder what are the odds now that Funimation could buy other dubbing studios like Ocean and Bang Zoom? They would have a much wider selection of actors to use in future dubs, and another way to milk Dragon Ball as they could release the alternate dubs without having to worry about supporting a competitor. Sadly probably wouldn't happen since they don't even use the uncut Pioneer movies as audio tracks on the available releases of Z movies 1-3, but maybe one possible good thing that could come from future buyouts.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:01 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:19 am Come to think of it, I wonder what are the odds now that Funimation could buy other dubbing studios like Ocean and Bang Zoom? They would have a much wider selection of actors to use in future dubs, and another way to milk Dragon Ball as they could release the alternate dubs without having to worry about supporting a competitor. Sadly probably wouldn't happen since they don't even use the uncut Pioneer movies as audio tracks on the available releases of Z movies 1-3, but maybe one possible good thing that could come from future buyouts.
They don't care. Look what happened with the BD Audio. We're not gonna get any more than is necessary for Funi to make money.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:02 pm

coola wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:00 pm "The union of Funimation and Crunchyroll is a win for anime fans around the world" I really admire people who can lie without blinking eye :P
Considering this is probably going to lead to Funimation discontinuing their garbage one-single-country-only streaming service that has resulted in keeping so many shows from so many fans around the world, I don't really see how this isn't going to be a win for everyone. Nobody ever benefitted from that service existing.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:11 pm

Honestly I doubt much will change, they'll probably let crunchyroll continue doing what it's been doing and just rake in the cash from it.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:50 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:19 am Come to think of it, I wonder what are the odds now that Funimation could buy other dubbing studios like Ocean and Bang Zoom?
I always got the impression that Funimation took pride in their homegrown talent pool of voice actors. I can’t imagine them buying out two recording studios outside of Texas just to outsource work to California and Vancouver. Imagine the thought of Funimation producing a dub that doesn’t have Chris Sabat in it.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:10 pm

Wonder what this will mean for their own streaming service? Getting rid of it? Combining? My only concern is losing my free digital copies that are locked to Funi's service.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim