Kanzenshuu's favorite arcs. UPDATE: The results

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: Kanzenshuu's favorite arcs.

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:07 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:14 pm How are you going to deal with the two posters so far who haven't ranked GT's arcs due to unfamiliarity?

Giving GT's arcs zero points from them would arguably screw the ranking up by assuming these posters ranked all of GT's arcs as an F, creating a potential bias against it and in favour of Super's arcs that shouldn't exist, since these two voters don't have an opinion to offer on GT.

Perhaps you could calculate the average ranking for each GT arc and give them their average for each person who didn't rank them? (That is to say, take the mean of each GT arc's score as given by the people who did rank them, then add that mean to that arc's overall score for each person who didn't rank the GT arcs) That way GT's arcs' relative positions in the rankings remain essentially unchanged by these two voters.
This same method could be used if anyone comes in and doesn't rank Super's arcs (or indeed, if they only rank the manga arcs, or if there's a real weirdo who only ranks GT and/or Super :lol:)
People who don't rank every series shouldn't be included as it makes no sense. Giving 0 would ruin entire rank, the same goes for giving 5 by default. You would have to give every skipped arc something like 3/5 which would be the least destructive but still unfair option.

Or, just make 4 different ranks, one for each series.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:11 pm

There’s also the matter of what we’re considering an arc?

For simplicity sake I’m lumping everything from Otherworld tournament to the end of Z as the Boo arc but some fans I think split it up between Other World Budokai/ Great Saiyaman/Boo. If I was going to split them up Otherworld would be a C, Great Saiyaman would be a D and Boo would be A

I also just kind of disregarded the Wedding Dress arc from the original Dragon Ball but that would be an F.

Maybe we should have ground roles like are we using the arcs as identified by Kanzenshuu’s episode guide or?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:15 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:11 pm Maybe we should have ground roles like are we using the arcs as identified by Kanzenshuu’s episode guide or?
What I didn't list in the opening post isn't considered an arc. If someone splits up Buu into Saiyaman and Buu, I'm only taking Buu into account.
sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:07 pmPeople who don't rank every series shouldn't be included as it makes no sense. Giving 0 would ruin entire rank, the same goes for giving 5 by default.
I'm going to have 2 lists at the end. The first being the points awarded as listed by each user, regardless of how many arcs they ranked. The second is an adjusted one based on Robo's suggestion.
Last edited by Matches Malone on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:16 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:15 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:11 pm Maybe we should have ground roles like are we using the arcs as identified by Kanzenshuu’s episode guide or?
What I didn't list in the opening post isn't considered an arc. If someone splits up Buu into Saiyaman and Buu, I'm only taking Buu into account.

What about the Garlic Jr arc? It doesn’t make sense to add that in with Namek or the Cyborg saga and if we’re counting GT then its existence is just as valid and should be considered.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:19 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:16 pmWhat about the Garlic Jr arc?
It stands on its own so I can count it if you want.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:25 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:59 pm Do you mean if the Baby arc's average is a C I should also give it 2 other Cs for who didn't vote for it ? if that's what you mean then sure, that sounds good. I misunderstood you the first time. :oops:
Yep.

Hey, no worries. I gave a very overly-wordy explanation before. :lol:
sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:07 pm People who don't rank every series shouldn't be included as it makes no sense. Giving 0 would ruin entire rank, the same goes for giving 5 by default. You would have to give every skipped arc something like 3/5 which would be the least destructive but still unfair option.

Or, just make 4 different ranks, one for each series.
That does make sense.

However, as I noted previously, and as Matches Malone has nicely summarised, if everyone else gave the Baby arc a C, but you didn't rank it, then we could just give it one more C rank, thus basically inflating its total points score to match the number of rankings we've had without unfairly giving it extra points or unfairly giving it not enough points.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:32 pm

Huh, if you don't want the opinion of people who haven't watched GT you should've just made that clear in the OP :roll:

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:47 pm

Well if you're still taking results right now i'll go and throw my hat into the ring.

I like Robo's idea of sorting them within the ranks by chronological order so i'll do the same. Makes things nice and tidy. And since my main experience with DB is with the anime version, I will do a separate ranking for the filler arcs. Movie versions of BoG/RoF will not be included either.

Main story arcs
  • S Tier - Red Ribbon Army arc, Saiyan arc, Frieza arc
  • A Tier - 22nd Budoukai, 23rd Budoukai, Cell arc
  • B Tier - Hunt For The Dragon Balls arc, Buu arc, Beerus arc
  • C Tier - 21st Budoukai, Piccolo Daimao arc, Universe 6 arc
  • D Tier - Golden Frieza arc, Future Trunks arc, Tournament of Power, Shadow Dragons arc
  • F Tier - Black Star Dragon Ball arc, Baby arc, Super 17 arc
Filler arcs
  • S Tier - N/A
  • A Tier - N/A
  • B Tier - Wedding Dress, Other World Tournament
  • C Tier - N/A
  • D Tier - Garlic Jr
  • F Tier - Copy Vegeta
Last edited by ArmenianPepsi on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 9 times in total.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:47 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:32 pm Huh, if you don't want the opinion of people who haven't watched GT you should've just made that clear in the OP :roll:
Where did I say that ? everyone's welcomed to rank whatever arcs they've seen.
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:47 pm Well if you're still taking results right now i'll go and throw my hat into the ring.
I will be until December 31st. :thumbup:

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:06 pm

Accidentally posted before my list was done lmao
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:30 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:19 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:16 pmWhat about the Garlic Jr arc?
It stands on its own so I can count it if you want.
Shit. I forgot about that arc.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:35 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:47 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:32 pm Huh, if you don't want the opinion of people who haven't watched GT you should've just made that clear in the OP :roll:
Where did I say that ? everyone's welcomed to rank whatever arcs they've seen.
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:47 pm Well if you're still taking results right now i'll go and throw my hat into the ring.
I will be until December 31st. :thumbup:
Oh sorry, I must have misunderstood then. I saw people in here complaining that a few of us did not rank literally -every single arc- in this franchise.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:47 pm

S
Freeza
Cell
Battle of Gods (movie)

A
22nd Tenkaichi Budokai
Saiyan
Piccolo Daimao
23rd Tenkaichi Budokai
21st Tenkaichi Budokai

B
Boo
Super Broly
Goku Black
Hunt for the Dragon Balls
Red Ribbon
Moro
Tournament of Power
Baby

C
Resurrection 'F' (movie)
Universe 6 Tournament
Shadow Dragons
Afterlife Tournament

D
Super 17
Copy Vegeta

F
Garlic Jr.
Hunt for the Ultimate Dragon Balls

Redundantly Redundant
Battle of Gods (anime)
Resurrection 'F' (anime)

I included the films because they were produced with the intention of including them in the official timeline (even if the Super retellings complicate things for BoG and F). Also, since my feelings on the BoG and F films are so radically different from my feelings on the Super retellings it feels unfair not to include them. I completely understand that my rankings of the films will not considered in the final point tally. With that said, you can consider the "Redundantly Redundant" category an F ranking, haha.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:16 am

I won't rank Super and DB arcs together, as it wouldn't feel right putting any of DBS above DB, but would also look like a far more negative stance on DBS than I actually harbor if they were all at the bottom. Best to just separate them out.

All of these apply only to the manga. My anime rankings wouldn't be the same, but outside of DBS, I'm also not sure what they'd look like.

DB
1. Boo
2. Namek
3. 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai
4. Red Ribbon Army
---All of the above are very set. After that I'm less sure.
21st Tenkaichi Budokai; Saiyan; 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai; Demon King Piccolo (probably in that order, but I really waffle)
---
9. Opening arc
10. Cell (firm on these last two)

DBS
1. Universe 6 (by the tiniest hair)
2. Universal Survival (very close)
3. Future Trunks
4. Galactic Patrol Prisoner

I'm not sure what to say about DBGT. I like its final third best on the whole, but one of its arcs is barely six episodes long, so I'm not sure how to lay them out in a ranked list.

For the Toriyama films forming part of Super, I'd go

1. Battle of Gods
2. Broly (Not totally sure; kind of waffle on these first two)
3. Resurrection "F"

But it wouldn't feel right mixing them in alongside the serialized arcs, since they work in completely different ways.

I can't in good conscience vote in the way the thread really wants me to, so ... I guess either don't use this post or just toss Boo, Namek, the 23rd and RR into "S" for me and ignore everything else. I wouldn't even necessarily be comfortable just putting the Super arcs below the other ones for polling purposes. Between you and me, I probably have more fun rereading the top two arcs there than the Cell arc, but I also wouldn't want to commit to ranking them above it, since the context is totally different and the Cell arc is taking more risks as part of the original run and doing more to define the world and narrative of the series. Plus it's drawn by Toriyama (even if it's him at IMO his weakest in the original run).

EDIT--

I guess I could do this, for the sake of getting responses counted. I'll just put both GT and Super below the original arcs and keep them in the same tiers, since the GT-Super comparison also isn't something I want to do ... even though it also feels really wrong putting GT alongside the Super manga, since my heart will generally always be with the personal touch of manga. This is just for the sake of voting. Going chronologically within tiers:

S: 23rd, Namek, Boo
A: Red Ribbon
B: 21st, 22nd, Demon King Piccolo, Saiyan
C: Opening arc
D: Cell
E: Universe 6, Universal Survival, Evil Dragons
F: Future Trunks, Super 17 (I guess???; this feels so wrong; I curse the structure of this poll)
G: Galactic Patrol Prisoner, Baby (all of 1-40 would go in this tier; it's one arc)

I'll note that my Super arcs would be almost reversed for the anime.

EDIT EDIT --

Wait, shoot. I have to reconfigure it so things actually get points.

S: Red Ribbon, 23rd, Namek, Boo
A: 21st, 22nd, Demon King Piccolo, Saiyan
B: Opening arc, Cell, Universe 6, Universal Survival, Evil Dragons
C: Future Trunks, Super 17
D: Galactic Patrol Prisoner, Baby

Are you happy now? Have I done it? Have I rendered my arc choices context- and nuance-enough free? Will the gods of low-context internet polls ever be satisfied with my sacrifice???

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:04 am

Manga arcs only given below, with listings within tiers ordered by preference:

S: Saiyan arc; 23rd Budokai arc
A: Buu arc; Freeza arc; Red Ribbon arc
B: Tournament of Power arc; 22nd Budokai arc; Piccolo Daimao arc; Cell arc; Universe 6 Tournament arc
C: 21st Budokai arc; Future Trunks arc; Opening arc; Battle of Gods "arc"; Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc

I genuinely don't think any arc in the manga deserves below a 'C' rank, at this point.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:58 am

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:04 am I genuinely don't think any arc in the manga deserves below a 'C' rank, at this point.
Unheard of.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:07 pm

Cipher wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:16 amAre you happy now? Have I done it? Have I rendered my arc choices context- and nuance-enough free? Will the gods of low-context internet polls ever be satisfied with my sacrifice???
Your sacrifice will be rewarded. :thumbup:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:02 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:59 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:14 pmPerhaps you could calculate the average ranking for each GT arc and give them their average for each person who didn't rank them?
Do you mean if the Baby arc's average is a C I should also give it 2 other Cs for who didn't vote for it ? if that's what you mean then sure, that sounds good. I misunderstood you the first time. :oops:
Wouldn’t it solve the problem (though be a little more work) to take the mean of every arc, dividing its total score across the number of people who listed it, then using that number for the final ranking/comparison? Would remove equating a “never seen” or “didn’t list” with a 0.

So if the Saiyan arc got 75 points and 20 people voted for it, its final score in the ranking would be 3.75. If the Baby arc got 5 points but only 5 people voted for it, its final score would be 1. Using those for the final, relative rankings would give a slightly more accurate picture if not everyone’s including all arcs. The final ranking would then compare arcs along that 5-0 scale with a lot of decimal points.

You could always include the raw score alongside the arcs for additional perspective.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:59 am

Cipher wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:02 am
Matches Malone wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:59 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:14 pmPerhaps you could calculate the average ranking for each GT arc and give them their average for each person who didn't rank them?
Do you mean if the Baby arc's average is a C I should also give it 2 other Cs for who didn't vote for it ? if that's what you mean then sure, that sounds good. I misunderstood you the first time. :oops:
Wouldn’t it solve the problem (though be a little more work) to take the mean of every arc, dividing its total score across the number of people who listed it, then using that number for the final ranking/comparison? Would remove equating a “never seen” or “didn’t list” with a 0.

So if the Saiyan arc got 75 points and 20 people voted for it, its final score in the ranking would be 3.75. If the Baby arc got 5 points but only 5 people voted for it, its final score would be 1. Using those for the final, relative rankings would give a slightly more accurate picture if not everyone’s including all arcs. The final ranking would then compare arcs along that 5-0 scale with a lot of decimal points.

You could always include the raw score alongside the arcs for additional perspective.
Using average scores would be much better, and is the ideal metric for these kinds of polls.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:26 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:59 am Using average scores would be much better, and is the ideal metric for these kinds of polls.
What i'll do is list how many people voted for each show to give a better idea about where things stand.