Kanzenshuu's favorite arcs. UPDATE: The results

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Kanzenshuu's favorite arcs.

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:08 am

Kakarotto92 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:58 pmMissed the deadline, but still:
I never thought this topic would take off the way it did, so I'll update the numbers if enough people vote in the coming days.
Kakarotto92 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:07 pmIt's never been a very popular arc throughout most of the last 25 years, but ever since the DBD videos on it, all of the sudden it started getting overrated by some in the community. Same thing happened with the Piccolo Daimao arc, which had always been popular, but post-DBD started getting underrated.
I really like the second half of the RRA arc (starting with korin Tower and Tao), but the first half really slows down the momentum built up in the previous arc. Had the arc just been the second half (it should've been, as nothing major happens before Goku finds his dragon ball), then it would've ranked higher for me.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:59 am

Kakarotto92 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:07 pm It's never been a very popular arc throughout most of the last 25 years, but ever since the DBD videos on it, all of the sudden it started getting overrated by some in the community. Same thing happened with the Piccolo Daimao arc, which had always been popular, but post-DBD started getting underrated. Don't get me wrong the I love the RRA arc, I just find it "interesting" how some people in the community did a 180 on their opinions of DB arcs, because they watched a subjective review series.
Yeah, there are quite a lot of media consumers like that: those who change their opinion on something because they heard some other guy say something else about it. Frankly, I used to be one of those people a few years ago when I was still immature.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:56 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:08 am
Kakarotto92 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:58 pmMissed the deadline, but still:
I never thought this topic would take off the way it did, so I'll update the numbers if enough people vote in the coming days.
Kakarotto92 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:07 pmIt's never been a very popular arc throughout most of the last 25 years, but ever since the DBD videos on it, all of the sudden it started getting overrated by some in the community. Same thing happened with the Piccolo Daimao arc, which had always been popular, but post-DBD started getting underrated.
I really like the second half of the RRA arc (starting with korin Tower and Tao), but the first half really slows down the momentum built up in the previous arc. Had the arc just been the second half (it should've been, as nothing major happens before Goku finds his dragon ball), then it would've ranked higher for me.
What momentum? It's a completely different story.

Interesting how the RRA did so well. I find it to be mostly boring with the exception of a few highlights but the overall story doesn't work that well. The Saiyan arc ranking as the favorite doesn't surprise me in the least.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SsjRavi
Patreon Supporter

Re: Kanzenshuu's favorite arcs. UPDATE: The results

Post by SsjRavi » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:44 am

S: Red Ribbon Army arc / King Piccolo arc / Namek arc
A: 22nd Tenkaichi arc / 23rd Tenkaichi arc / Saiyan arc / Android arc
B: Pilaf arc / 21st Tenkaichi arc / Buu arc / Beerus arc
C: Baby arc / Zamasu arc / Shadow Dragons arc / Moro arc
D: Champa arc / TOP arc
F: Super 17 arc / Golden Freeza arc

That's roughly mine, barring the Moro arc i was thinking more about the anime version of the Super over the manga
"No. A sword is a weapon. Kenjutsu is the art of killing. Whatever pretty words you use to speak of it, this is its true nature. What Miss Kaoru says are the words of one who has never dirtied her hands. An idealistic joke. But, I like Miss Kaoru's idealism better than its true nature. If one can ask so much, I want the world to accept this joke as its true nature."
- Himura Kenshin

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:02 am

ABED wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:56 amInteresting how the RRA did so well. I find it to be mostly boring with the exception of a few highlights but the overall story doesn't work that well. The Saiyan arc ranking as the favorite doesn't surprise me in the least.
How would you rank the various arcs ?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:06 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:02 am
ABED wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:56 amInteresting how the RRA did so well. I find it to be mostly boring with the exception of a few highlights but the overall story doesn't work that well. The Saiyan arc ranking as the favorite doesn't surprise me in the least.
How would you rank the various arcs ?
I'm pretty orthodox in my appraisal of the various arcs, but I'm not a big fan of rankings. I'm more interested in the why.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:34 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:59 am Yeah, there are quite a lot of media consumers like that: those who change their opinion on something because they heard some other guy say something else about it. Frankly, I used to be one of those people a few years ago when I was still immature.
There's nothing wrong with changing your stance when presented with a new view that expands your horizon, I find really laughable how some insist that you have to have a rigid hill to die on.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:11 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:34 am
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:59 am Yeah, there are quite a lot of media consumers like that: those who change their opinion on something because they heard some other guy say something else about it. Frankly, I used to be one of those people a few years ago when I was still immature.
There's nothing wrong with changing your stance when presented with a new view that expands your horizon, I find really laughable how some insist that you have to have a rigid hill to die on.
You have a point, but it kind of depends. There is a difference between accepting another person's point of view and being easily flipped to other people's point of views.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:31 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:34 am

There’s nothing wrong with changing your stance but there are people (not necessarily on Kanz or DB fandom at large) who will totally change their opinion to match a third rate video reviewer. Back when Channel Awesome/ThatGuyWithTheGlasses was a thing tv tropes pages would conveniently be updated to parrot the opinions on some CA video

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:34 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:31 pm There’s nothing wrong with changing your stance but there are people (not necessarily on Kanz or DB fandom at large) who will totally change their opinion to match a third rate video reviewer. Back when Channel Awesome/ThatGuyWithTheGlasses was a thing tv tropes pages would conveniently be updated to parrot the opinions on some CA video
I did not know that tvtropes were CA shills. It makes em even more crap.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:10 pm

Kakarotto92 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:07 pm It's never been a very popular arc throughout most of the last 25 years, but ever since the DBD videos on it, all of the sudden it started getting overrated by some in the community.
Wait, what?

I don't even watch Dragon Ball Dissection and RRA is one of my favorite arcs. Don't assume everyone regurgitates opinions wholesale from YouTube essays just because they might share similar views.
Formerly Marlowe89.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:41 pm

DB and DBS mangas:
S: Buu
A: DBs, RR, Saiayjins, Freeza 21/22/23 Budokai Tenkaichi, BoG (Movie+manga. Can't really separate or rate the arc alone in my mind)
B: Piccolo, Androids, U6, ToP
C: Zamasu, RoF (movie, I mention it because it gets very low rates, but feel free to ignore it)
D: Moro
F: GT (some slightly higher/lower, but all bellow previous arcs). DBS anime would also be here, probably with all but BoG and RoF bellow most GT.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:43 am

I just saw this thread. Nice idea. I will add my picks (only Manga arcs):

S. Saiyan, Freeza, 23rd Budokai
A. 21st Budokai, Broly, Battle of Gods (Movie)
B. Androids, Buu, 22nd Budokai, Champa
C. Red Ribbon Army, Pilaf, Universal Survival
D. Piccolo Daimao, Future Trunks
E. Galactic Patrol Prisoner, Resurrection F (Movie)
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:42 pm

Saiyan arc continues to dunk on the anime industry

💪
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:59 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:42 pm Saiyan arc continues to dunk on the anime industry

💪
It has really stood the test of time.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:57 am

It's probably because the Saiyan arc has a solid, satisfying three-act structure. (Of course a contributing factor for the Saiyan and Namek arcs' popularity is also that many of us saw them on repeat several times over before we got any other part of the story)

On the topic of the Red Ribbon arc's ranking - in my experience it has grown on me more and more every time I revisit it. Unlike most of the other arcs, it doesn't introduce any major recurring characters, which lessens the appeal for first-time readers/watchers, especially those who experienced the "Z" portion first and are looking for the backstories of familiar characters like Yamcha and Tenshinhan.

However, after revisiting the arc enough times, you learn to appreciate it for what it is and its characters grow on you. Ha-chan and Upa are very endearing, and I would argue that Murasaki, General Blue and Tao Pai-Pai are among the most amusing villains in the entire series.

And I'll say again something I've repeated many times by now: little Goku exploring a world he is adorably clueless about, yet utterly invincible to, is pure gold. That's what makes the Red Ribbon arc so charming. A little kid taking down an entire army by himself? That's just plain fun.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:13 am

I always considered RR arc to be one of the best arcs in franchise as a whole. I'll admit i haven't watched it for a while (or even read it) but i have a lot of good memories with it. I liked the idea of all those color-named RRA members and Tao Pai Pai gave this arc a lot of tension. I also liked Bora and Upa a lot.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:47 am

TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:57 am It's probably because the Saiyan arc has a solid, satisfying three-act structure. (Of course a contributing factor for the Saiyan and Namek arcs' popularity is also that many of us saw them on repeat several times over before we got any other part of the story)

On the topic of the Red Ribbon arc's ranking - in my experience it has grown on me more and more every time I revisit it. Unlike most of the other arcs, it doesn't introduce any major recurring characters, which lessens the appeal for first-time readers/watchers, especially those who experienced the "Z" portion first and are looking for the backstories of familiar characters like Yamcha and Tenshinhan.

However, after revisiting the arc enough times, you learn to appreciate it for what it is and its characters grow on you. Ha-chan and Upa are very endearing, and I would argue that Murasaki, General Blue and Tao Pai-Pai are among the most amusing villains in the entire series.

And I'll say again something I've repeated many times by now: little Goku exploring a world he is adorably clueless about, yet utterly invincible to, is pure gold. That's what makes the Red Ribbon arc so charming. A little kid taking down an entire army by himself? That's just plain fun.
The RRA arc is essentially what most people really mean when they said that Dragon Ball used to be a more adventure based story. It is pretty much peak "mystical adventure", where we get to see the majority of the world building on Earth in the whole franchise.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:00 am

The 21st Tenkaichi Budokai arc was important from transitioning the story from Journey to the West by way of the guy that brought you Dr.Slump and of course the Piccolo Daimao arc transitioned the series into big apocalyptic villains and dire consequences and life and death battles. But the Red Ribbon arc was also important in Toriyama telling more lengthier and ambitious stories.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:08 am

S: Saiyan arc / TOP arc (Anime) / Namek arc
A: 23nd Tenkaichi arc / Zamasu arc (Anime or Manga) / King Piccolo arc / Broly arc
B: Cell arc / 22rd Tenkaichi arc / Red Ribbon Army arc / Buu arc
C: 21st Tenkaichi arc / Android arc / Beerus arc (Anime o Movie) / Champa arc
D: Baby arc / Pilaf Arc
F: Super 17 arc / Moro arc / FNF arc / Shadow Dragon