2021 Dragon Ball Wishlist/Predictions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

2021 Dragon Ball Wishlist/Predictions

Post by LettuceJUMP » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:49 pm

Happy New Year All!

Any items you are waiting for or hoping to get in 2021 from Dragon Ball franchise?

Any predictions?

My wishlist would be - live action content (netflix?), original dragon ball blu-ray release, kakarot 2, more super anime etc

Predictions - wow! I have no idea! I truly have no idea what the dragon ball franchise will do. I would say a video game announcement since there has been nothing since fighterz, xenoverse 2, and kakarot. Then i assume more super anime but it’s hard to say.

How about y’all?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: 2021 Dragon Ball Wishlist/Predictions

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:06 pm

Wish: original Dragon Ball Blue Ray release

Prediction: No original Dragon Ball blue ray release

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:25 pm

Let's first see how well I did with 2020...
I actually got things right for the most part.

Now, looking forward...
  • A new Dragon Ball movie is announced. Shintani will return in it, and Broly will be back. But it won't be releasing in 2021.
  • The next arc of the Super manga isn't as entertainingly bad as the Moro arc, and is merely boring and uninspired.
  • Super still stubbornly refuses to move past EoZ.
  • Super will still continue to poke at interesting ideas before retreating in fear and doing something incredibly safe and boring with it.
  • Dragon Ball Super does not return to TV, and there is no announcement of it doing so either.
  • No new HD/4K restorations of any old Dragon Ball media happen or are announced. Note that I don't count shitty upscales as new restorations.
Not a while ton of predictions here, but there we are. If I was to construct a wishlist, I'd put the release of Ocean Kai on it, as well as DVDs of the Westwood dubs, an actually-good arc in Super, a video game that isn't a fighting game, and a redub of OG DB movies 2-3 and the 10th anniversary movie.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:15 pm

Not terrible on last years! And good predictions! I would like to think dragon ball will have a big year.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:32 pm

I just want DB and GT to be released on Blu-Ray, is that too much to ask ?

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:03 pm

This year will be slow for DB in general. Between COVID and the fact that current revenue streams don't seem to be slowing down (from what I can tell, at least), there aren't many incentives to change anything up.

We will all be very disappointed when Digimon ends and there is no announcement for anime Moro.

In fact, we won't see much animated material at all this year other than Heroes. Even if we get some sort of announcement, it won't come until summer at the earliest. Fall/winter is more likely. If we get an announcement, the new anime/movie won't release until 2022.

I will be very disappointed that Goku isn't put in Smash.

JYB will slowly but surely continue to redub most Broly lines in video games over the course of the year. Xenoverse may be the exception due to it being older and having too much content. The movie will likely remain untouched despite needing it the most.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that Kakarot on Switch is inevitable. Every other major title eventually saw a Switch port, so I don't see why not at this point.

The French Bluray release of OG DB will be an improvement over the SelectaVision release but still a disappointment.

As part of the effort to integrate Crunchyroll into the Funimation branding, the currently streaming DB series will either go to Crunchyroll, VRV, or both. Likely sub only with the dubs being Funimation exclusive.

DB in some form will make its way to Netflix as part of Toei's expanded efforts on that platform. The current dubs will be used.

I will be very disappointed that Kai isn't put up for streaming as well as part of either of these ventures.

Ocean Kai will remain unreleased and we will all be very disappointed by it.

The steel books will be a limited release, but not Dragon Box limited, so they'll be a viable alternative for fans who want the show in 4:3.

The only thing I won't be disappointed by is the manga because IMO Toyotaro has been killing it.

As for my wishlist, gonna repost from another thread. Forgive me, some of my wishlist overlaps with my predictions list:

I'll also add that I'd like to see the undubbed specials to finally get a BD release in the US. I know the JSAT special is close to impossible, but EoB and and PtEtSS got dubbed and released in France, so why not those at least? The Toriko/One Piece crossover would be nice, too. It helps that Funimation dubbed all those shows (even if they never finished Toriko), so the casts are all right there ready to go. I imagine that one has rights issues tied into it, though.

Also, Goku in Smash. Because I want it really bad and you can just shut your mouth you no-fun-allowed person
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:06 pm

Well, my wish would be for DBS to return in the fall of this year as a weekly animated series, or at least have them announce another movie is in the works.

I also wish we knew exactly what happened behind the scenes that caused them to stop working on bringing the series back along with how far they'd gotten, what some of the material they'd started and abandoned looked like, but I know we'll never get to see that. The few people who have are sworn to secrecy.

My third wish is for the Granola arc to be fun and for it to take the plot to new locations and have characters with entertaining personalities and exciting techniques along with some arc-exclusive outfits for the main characters to wear at some point in the actual story and not just on the cover pages of the volumes.

My predictions....I don't think I made any last year, so I have nothing to check that against, but here's mine for 2021:

-The Granola arc pulls the same thing Moro did--start out really interesting/fresh and then devolve into aping moments and plot from the original DB and Z (maybe GT too if they decide to make Granola a refurbished Baby arc)--only it won't go on for two years since Shueisha has a better idea as to what they're doing with Dragon Ball as a franchise so Toyotaro won't be forced to stall for time meaning the pacing will be much better for Granola and the story may last around one year give or take a few months in either direction.

-Nothing of consequence will come of the Granola arc or if it does it'll be small like Merus who instead of being completely killed off was brought back as a mortal.

-Probably no new forms for any of the saiyans in the Granola arc because Shueisha wouldn't be able to make as big a spectacle about it like they can in the anime or in a movie. (I don't count giant image-Goku in this because he doesn't become that giant, he uses it as a technique like dragon fist.) If they do any new forms it can't rely on changing colors because the manga is in black and white (initially--I know about the full color digital volumes) so any new form's design has to change a bit more creatively.

-More DLC stuff for the currently-updated DB videogames. Switch port. New game announced at the end of 2021.

-Heroes continues at the same pace it's been going at; maybe some new outfits for the new arc.

-An anniversary website for the original DB anime opening up in winter/spring with some exclusive merchandise.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lightningexpose
Banned

Post by Lightningexpose » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:29 am

My DB prediction for 2021:
- We will see Dragon Ball scanned and remastered in 4K

DB-Br0des

Post by DB-Br0des » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:08 am

Hmmm wish list...

- A databook/illustration for Super.
- A console game like DBZK but continuing into Super or GT.
- Dragonball and Dragonball GT on Bluray.
GoGetoBr0des

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:45 pm

• Dragon Ball FighterZ will get a Season 4 of DLC characters, a total of 5 characters.
    • Featuaring 2 Saiyan characters and 3 non-Saiyan characters.
  • New Dragon Ball anime is announced sometime in Q4 2021.
  • Nintendo Switch exclusive Dragon Ball game is announced.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

MrSatan2099
Patreon Supporter

Post by MrSatan2099 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:19 pm

Wishlist:
More classic movie characters in the Dragon Stars toyline from Ban Dai of America

A new manga spinoff in the same vein as Reincarnated as Yamcha

Predictions:
An underwhelming new game gets announced

More Heroes promotional anime.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:46 pm

Wishlist-the original Ultimate Uncut airings turn up in some form or another

Prediction-Ocean dub finally gets aired on TV
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:24 am

Broly returning and gaining control of his Super Saiyan form and trains to gain the other forms. I'd love for him to regain his tail but I know that won't happen.

If there is a tv show I don't want an all asian cast. I want an international cast.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:37 am

My only wish just became stronger after WandaVision's last episode, I want the series' cast (or just Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo and whoever they want to throw in) to meet the GT/movies cast so badly.

This has to happen eventually. Please put a hold to this very old formulaic heroes vs villains plot where things don't actually make a big change/impact in the grand scheme of things, and do this sort of "crossover". Let's go big!
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:24 am

I have no predictions but I wish with all my heart that Dragon Ball returns to kids tv. And for the Ocean Kai dub to released.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:50 pm

Wishlist:

- Viz Media finally announces more DB Full Color Volumes
- Granolah arc keeps being interesting and doesn't end this year

Predictions:

- Viz Media won't announce more DB Full Color Volumes
- Super Dragon Ball Heroes anime will keep going
- DBS anime won't return this year either
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

lordsigma

Post by lordsigma » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:32 pm

My wish would be an HD remastered version of the legacy anime (From DB to GT) for blu ray in Japan that would include a sound remaster to finally give us a greater than mono original Japanese track. Given the effort made to produce Kai as a new remastered definitive and canon version of the anime that’s more consistent with the original manga and the newer material like Super it is probably a pipe dream. I’ll settle for a funimation blu ray version of DB and Gt. While Kai may be the more canon anime i prefer the old DBZ.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:36 pm

Things that I predict have a decent chance of happening:
  • A new movie announced and maybe released by the end of the year or early 2022
  • Toei blu-rays announced for Z/GT
  • Confirmation from Toei that they plan to create new Super episodes eventually (I'm guessing we'll get new episodes after Super finishes re-airing on BS Fuji 2 years from now, which will give the manga enough time to develop without risk of the anime catching up).
Things I wish would happen but don't actually believe will happen:
  • New Super episodes, but as a seasonal series so we get fewer episodes but much higher quality
  • A Galatic Patrol spin-off series begins involving the weaker Z fighters
  • The SDBH arcade game gets released worldwide
  • Funimation releases a special edition of the Z blurays without any cropping or DNR
  • The Banpresto Ichiban Kuji lottery comes to the US.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:14 am

Something I didn't predict and hadn't even thought to wish for from this year, but super excited to see: Viz publishing Akira Toriyama's Manga Theatre in a single hardcover edition in the Autumn...

(Link to Viz Tweet Announcement, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet)

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:01 am

Oh, I forgot about these kind of threads. They are quite funny. I will also first see how I did last year:
emperior wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:11 pm 1. A new movie written by Toriyama will be announced, with a release date for Fall 2020;
2. The “Galactic Patrol Prisoner Arc” in the manga will wrap up in the chapter out on November 21 and a new arc, set after the movie, will begin in December.
3. Moro will be defeated by a tag-team of Goku and Vegeta.
4. Xenoverse 3 will be announced;
5. Dragon Ball Z Kakarot will become the highest selling DB game ever.
Quite bad lol. But I predicted that the manga arc was going to end in November (if we don’t consider 67 as a GPP arc chapter but a transitional one).

As for this year, my predictions are:

1. Xenoverse 3 will finally be announced.
2. The new Kakarot DLC will be the Future Trunks Arc from Super.
3. Broly will appear in the manga.

With my wishlist being:
1. Dragon Ball Super returning on TV in October with an adaptation of the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc.
2. Or a new Super movie. Though unless it’s set in the past (ex. Yamoshi) I would prefer for it to not interfere with the manga stories after Broly, therefore I wouldn’t mind if it were a spin-off movie written by Toei with Toriyama supervising the script and giving some ideas (it could be a fun story with a old movie villain).
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical