The new Dragon Ball room for 2021

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

The new Dragon Ball room for 2021

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:45 pm

So I've heard that Toei wants to expand Dragon Ball worldwide...I have my suspicions. It's honestly a sight to behold; who would've thought that a small manga like Dragon Ball was in its beginning would eventually blossom to become a worldwide phenomenon?! Honestly, I am proud of Dragon Ball :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The new Dragon Ball room for 2021

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:49 pm

This thread seem a good 30 years late

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:47 pm

What do u guys think of Toei's global expansion of the franchise? Are you suspicious about anything, and where should the franchise go after this?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:57 pm

I am so excited to see Dragon Ball come to North America. I wonder who will get the license. Hopefully they don’t do anything stupid like completely replace the music, skip the first series, and try to turn a martial arts series into a sci-fi super hero series.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:03 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:47 pmAre you suspicious about anything,
I'm suspicious that we are going to keep getting sagas after sagas being crammed in the ten-year timeskip, and for that...
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:47 pmand where should the franchise go after this?
... I think the series should go back to be dead. It's no use to revive a series just to mistreat it the way Dragon Ball is being mistreated.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:05 pm

Dragon Ball isn't a franchise that can die easily, you know. Mind you, we fans went SEVENTEEN YEARS without an actual new series. Kai doesn't count because it isn't really a series, just a much better DBZ. And DragonBall Z Abridged is also an awesome not-series. Dragon Ball Heroes is only an extension of Data Cardass Dragon Ball Z (Heroes has an interesting story, but it's shit). The only thing that has kept us fans going since 1997 is hope that someday Dragon Ball will return, and while the video games, Heroes, Dragon Ball Kai, Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return and DBZA have certainly helped, don't you think it's a stretch to say that Dragon Ball is dead?
Last edited by FPSSJ4_Goku on Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:07 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:57 pm I am so excited to see Dragon Ball come to North America. I wonder who will get the license. Hopefully they don’t do anything stupid like completely replace the music, skip the first series, and try to turn a martial arts series into a sci-fi super hero series.
Did you have to reference the Ocean/Funimation dub with your sarcasm?

And besides, what about countries like India and Australia and African countries that don't have dubs in their own languages, such as Hindi and Australian English and Afrikaans? Granted, Australian English is a branch-off from regular English, but I'd love to see the return of the DB, DBZ and DBZ Kai Arabic dub for the Middle East and North Africa. I'd also like to see what an Australian Goku would sound like!

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:19 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:03 pm
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:47 pmAre you suspicious about anything,
I'm suspicious that we are going to keep getting sagas after sagas being crammed in the ten-year time skip, and for that...
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:47 pmand where should the franchise go after this?
... I think the series should go back to be dead. It's no use to revive a series just to mistreat it the way Dragon Ball is being mistreated.
but coming up with new and original stories is hard; and people hate it when we rehash old storylines from DB, DBZ, and DBGT

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:13 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:05 pmThe only thing that has kept us fans going since 1997 is hope that someday Dragon Ball will return, and while the video games, Heroes, Dragon Ball Kai, Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return and DBZA have certainly helped, don't you think it's a stretch to say that Dragon Ball is dead?
Videogames certainly didn't/weren't help. We were getting the same old nonsense game after game, going from Raditz to Buu without the slightest change or anything to at least make it fresh. There were some attempts (from Dimps, of course) in the form of the Shin Budokai games, that brought something new, but since they weren't released for PlayStation 2, they are kind of obscure and easily forgotten. It was certainly a monotonous time for Dragon Ball, no (good) series, videogames were boring as hell, sometimes they would release an Original Video Animation that won't ever see an international release, thus drastically reducing any impact that OVA could make on the franchise and on the viewers in general...

Things would only change after Dragon Ball Online and Dragon Ball Heroes, but for us, it would only change in 2015 with the release of Xenoverse (which also inspired Dragon Ball FighterZ to have its own storyline. And hopefully continues to inspire other developers to come up with new stories for Dragon Ball games).

As for your question, yes, financially-wise Dragon Ball will never be dead. Tons of money will keep coming no matter what. Quality-wise? Dragon Ball has virtually buried itself underneath a grave. What prevents it from being completely dead are the games bringing in new and cool stuff.
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:19 pmbut coming up with new and original stories is hard; and people hate it when we rehash old storylines from DB, DBZ, and DBGT
If it's hard to come up with new and original stories, just take some inspirations. What's people talking a lot about nowadays? What's the hot subject right now? Multiverse? Different dimensions? Counterparts meeting each other? Do that. Dragon Ball has already proved that it's not ashamed of doing exactly what is popular, they even take into consideration what Western people like (see the lastest movies).

Dragon Ball has become basically a Japanese Marvel/DC already, go for it without losing the characteristics of Dragon Ball, of course. I don't know how popular Marvel/DC movies are in Japan, but considering Toriyama had already made Goku to be a Japanese Superman by sharing his origins in 2014, no harm will come in adopting some other concepts from the Western comics.
Last edited by Grimlock on Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:16 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:05 pm The only thing that has kept us fans going since 1997 is hope that someday Dragon Ball will return, and while the video games, Heroes, Dragon Ball Kai, Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return and DBZA have certainly helped, don't you think it's a stretch to say that Dragon Ball is dead?
I guarantee you a decent chunk of people on this forum didn’t know Dragon Ball was a thing in 1997.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:53 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:16 pm
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:05 pm The only thing that has kept us fans going since 1997 is hope that someday Dragon Ball will return, and while the video games, Heroes, Dragon Ball Kai, Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return and DBZA have certainly helped, don't you think it's a stretch to say that Dragon Ball is dead?
I guarantee you a decent chunk of people on this forum didn’t know Dragon Ball was a thing in 1997.
Ironic how a good amount of people in the DBZ fandom know that the first DBZ anime was made in '86, DBZ was made in '89, and DBGT was made and ended in 96' and '97, but a lot of young DBZ fans don't know Dragon Ball existed in the 90s. I am indeed a young DBZ fan, just a much more well-informed fan that knows really out-there facts that nobody knows or cares about!

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:54 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:47 pmWhat do u guys think of Toei's global expansion of the franchise and where should the franchise go after this ?
Apart from the Battle of Gods movie, I haven't been the biggest fan of modern DB. Besides a few things here and there, I think they've done more harm than good to the franchise artistically. I've said for the longest time that I don't mind a story continuing beyond a certain point, or being resurrected if there's a story worth telling. Both GT and modern DB failed to meet this criteria for me.

If I were put in charge of the franchise, I'd allow whatever projects being worked on to conclude, but following that I'd put the franchise on ice for a few years to figure out exactly what to do with it.

Some of the changes I'd make:

1- New Blood: I'll always respect Toriyama for giving us the original manga and BOG movie, but he and the current writers need to go in order for this franchise to truly move forward.

2- No Nostalgia: I like classic elements just as much as anyone, but the past needs to be left in the past.

3- Character and world development come first: If a story doesn't move things forward in a meaningful way, then it's not worth telling.

4- No limits on the stories that can be told: If there's one thing killing the franchise's potential it's limiting it to the 10 year time gap before EOZ, that would be gone immediately. Regardless of when a story is set, or who it stars, if it's worth telling, it'll be allowed.

5- Quality over Quantity: Junk like Minus, Resurrection F, the tournament of power, & Heroes would not be green lit.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:07 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:13 pm
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:05 pmThe only thing that has kept us fans going since 1997 is hope that someday Dragon Ball will return, and while the video games, Heroes, Dragon Ball Kai, Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return and DBZA have certainly helped, don't you think it's a stretch to say that Dragon Ball is dead?
Videogames certainly didn't/weren't help. We were getting the same old nonsense game after game, going from Raditz to Buu without the slightest change or anything to at least make it fresh. There were some attempts (from Dimps, of course) in the form of the Shin Budokai games, that brought something new, but since they weren't released for PlayStation 2, they are kind of obscure and easily forgotten. It was certainly a monotonous time for Dragon Ball, no (good) series, videogames were boring as hell, sometimes they would release an Original Video Animation that won't ever see an international release, thus drastically reducing any impact that OVA could make on the franchise and the viewers in general...

Things would only change after Dragon Ball Online and Dragon Ball Heroes, but for us, it would only change in 2015 with the release of Xenoverse (which also inspired Dragon Ball FighterZ to have its own storyline. And hopefully continues to inspire other developers to come up with new stories for Dragon Ball games).

As for your question, yes, financially-wise Dragon Ball will never be dead. Tons of money will keep coming no matter what. Quality-wise? Dragon Ball has virtually buried itself underneath a grave. What prevents it from being completely dead are the games bringing in new and cool stuff.
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:19 pmbut coming up with new and original stories is hard; and people hate it when we rehash old storylines from DB, DBZ, and DBGT
If it's hard to come up with new and original stories, just take some inspiration. What are people talking a lot about nowadays? What's the hot subject right now? Multiverse? Different dimensions? Counterparts meeting each other? Do that. Dragon Ball has already proved that it's not ashamed of doing exactly what is popular, they even take into consideration what Western people like (see the latest movies).

Dragon Ball has become basically a Japanese Marvel/DC already, go for it without losing the characteristics of Dragon Ball, of course. I don't know how popular Marvel/DC movies are in Japan, but considering Toriyama had already made Goku be a Japanese Superman by sharing his origins in 2014, no harm will come in adopting some other concepts from the Western comics.
Videogames didn't help? I wholeheartedly disagree. Budokai 1 and Budokai Tenkaichi 3 were huge hits and made Bandai, Dimps, Funimation, and Spike Chunsoft a metric fuckton of money. And granted, Budokai 1 only sold well because DBZ was the SHIT back in 2002, and Tenkaichi 3 only sold well because of the insane roster. They did have the same rehashed story of the beginning of Z to the finale of GT (or Raditz to Cell for Budokai), but they also sold well because they. were. fun. Fun = money, we know this. As long as kids or teens around the world (by world, I mean North + South America, Australia, Japan and Europe) keep begging their parents to get them the newest DBZ game, video games will always help Dragon Ball, monetarily speaking.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:09 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:54 pm
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:47 pmWhat do u guys think of Toei's global expansion of the franchise and where should the franchise go after this ?
Apart from the Battle of Gods movie, I haven't been the biggest fan of modern DB.
I agree, I only watched Super because I like the English dub and watching Sean Schemmel scream his lungs out and SSJB and UI are cool.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:09 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:54 pm
1- New Blood: I'll always respect Toriyama for giving us the original manga and BOG movie, but he and the current writers need to go in order for this franchise to truly move forward.
Doed Toyotaro not count as new blood? He’s the main voice for Super is he not? Toriyama is only really coming up with broader concepts. Even Super Saiyan God and Beerus weren’t concepts Toriyama created but fine tuned.

2- No Nostalgia: I like classic elements just as much as anyone, but the past needs to be left in the past.
If irony was deadly the whole universe would have been destroyed by this statement.
3- Character and world development come first: If a story doesn't move things forward in a meaningful way, then it's not worth telling.
Super gave a lot of lore for all those fans obsessed with that sort of thing. Gohan, 17, 18,Piccolo and Kuririn all got development in Super but nobody wants to talk about that.
4- No limits on the stories that can be told: If there's one thing killing the franchise's potential it's limiting it to the 10 year time gap before EOZ, that would be gone immediately. Regardless of when a story is set, or who it stars, if it's worth telling, it'll be allowed.
I don’t understand this at all. 10 years is a pretty decent time. What exactly is limiting the series by keeping “Goku goes to train Oob as his successor” as the epilogue? No seriously I’d really like to know what exactly limits the story here. I guarantee there is no story that HAS to take place after the ending of the original manga that cannot work in the TEN YEAR interim between the defeat of Boo and the epilogue.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:13 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:09 pm If irony was deadly the whole universe would have been destroyed by this statement.

No seriously I’d really like to know what exactly limits the story here.
What's so wrong about expecting new content from new content, instead of repackaged old content ?

The fact that nothing can surprise us, as we know everything will be OK due to EOZ. They also can't do anything radically different due to thins having to line up with EOZ.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:15 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:13 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:09 pm If irony was deadly the whole universe would have been destroyed by this statement.

No seriously I’d really like to know what exactly limits the story here.
What's so wrong about expecting new content from new content, instead of repackaged old content ?

The fact that nothing can surprise us, as we know everything will be OK due to EOZ. They also can't do anything radically different due to thins having to line up with EOZ.
Not necessarily; some parts of the End of Z may be retconned due to the Dragon Ball Super manga showing that Goku knows Oob exists and Beerus and Whis exist. This means that there will be a stronger version of everybody (with exceptions) at the 28th World Tournament, and that's assuming they even go to the World Tournament at the End of Z at all.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:23 pm

Literally everything post-GT (with the possible exception of Kai which is more along the lines of lets repackage an old show for a new generation of fans so we can sell old toys) exist because nostalgia. It’s laughable to think that a series that for all intents and purposes ended in 1997 (1995 if we only count the manga) wasn’t brought back in the 21st century because of nostalgia.

Super Saiyan God
Super Saiyan Blue
12 universes
Destroyer Gods
Retconning Goku’s origin which even ties him a bit to a childhood friend of Bulma’s
Super Dragon Balls
Future Trunks timeline getting a lot darker than anticipated

I’m not saying these were executed well but they were all different and surprises. Outside of not killing off any of the cast permanently there is nothing limiting the series by keeping the end of Z as the ending.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:27 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:15 pm
Not necessarily; some parts of the End of Z may be retconned due to the Dragon Ball Super manga showing that Goku knows Oob exists and Beerus and Whis exist. This means that there will be a stronger version of everybody (with exceptions) at the 28th World Tournament, and that's assuming they even go to the World Tournament at the End of Z at all.
Goku knew about Oob in Super because he wished for his existence shortly after Boo was defeated

Nothing about Beerus and Whis absence in the 28th Budokai contradicts their existence in Super.

The only real bullet points are

*Gohan and Videl have a daughter named Pan who is 4

*Bulma and Vegeta have a daughter named Bra who is 3

*Goku leaves with the reincarnation of Boo to train him

That’s it.

TheSeductiveTomato
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheSeductiveTomato » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:25 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:57 pm I am so excited to see Dragon Ball come to North America. I wonder who will get the license. Hopefully they don’t do anything stupid like completely replace the music, skip the first series, and try to turn a martial arts series into a sci-fi super hero series.
There's no way something like this would skyrocket in popularity. Especially not if they massacre the first 2 seasons by editing out about 15 episodes worth of footage in an attempt to make it more "kid friendly". But no one would have the nerve to do something like that to such a beloved anime. Right?

Still, hypothetically speaking, Scott McNiel would make a great Piccolo. I hope he's considered.

Not to justify Toei's fear of taking risks but this has been a problem since King Piccolo at least. Goku shows up last minute, defeats the subordinate with ease, has an epic battle with the main baddie, and just barely wins the fight, effectively saving the world/universe/multiverse.

And like, do you really expect everything to not be ok in the end? Dragon balls will always be around to undo the damage. And even if earth's dragon is feeling lazy, Goku can just teleport to the other planet and exploit their dragon balls. There has never been a considerable permanent change aside from one-off characters being killed off. To this date, Kami (and I guess technically Launch) are the only long-term characters we've lost. Afterall, this is Dragon Ball. Not Game of Thrones. We will always have a happy ending.

And that's fine. I don't watch Dragon Ball for complex storytelling. I watch it because the fights are fun, the characters are cool, and the antagonists are unique and interesting, with the exception of a few. I watch it because it's plain, simple fun.

But yes, I do wish they'd quit beating around the bush and just skip to EoZ. Or, at the very least, look into some spin-off movies/specials to take away from the Goku fatigue. Or just not make Goku an obnoxious manchild so the Goku saturation is somewhat justified.