Harmony Gold Dub Q&A Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Harmony Gold Dub Q&A Thread

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:24 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:34 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:43 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:27 pm

It helped that by the time Funimation acquired the license Z in Japan was on the Boo saga and GT would be airing when Funimation started airing Z in the US.

But yeah I can’t imagine going straight to Z was ever on the table especially since the deal was probably made before Z was even airing.

I know dubs coming out relatively quickly now and sometimes and rare case before they air in Japan (Space Dandy) but back in the day the only anime I can think of that got a dub relatively quickly from when the Japanese version was airing was Digimon (5 months apart) which was almost certainly because Saban/Fox Kids/Bandai wanted to compete with Pokemania as soon as possible.
Especially when you consider that it took just over a year for Pokemon to formally premiere dubbed on TV over here after already having been running almost continuously in Japan since early 1997 barring the four month hiatus later that year and partway into the next due to the "Pokemon Shock" incident and controversy surrounding it. By the time series one of Digimon started airing on Fox Kids the initial run of Pokemon's first season in syndication had already happened and the show subsequently moved over to Kids WB for the next batch of episodes in the Kanto/Indigo League (Plus repeats of the 50 some odd episodes which aired syndicated prior) section in early '99. It was already a full blown massive craze on both sides of the aisle at that point between the show, videos games, card game and everything else.

Digimon came over here more quickly for sure, but Pokemon had already beat them to the punch and definitely possesed the bigger franchise machine.
Digimon came to the states first? Huh i honestly did not know that, as a kid I didn't start hearing about Digimon until well after the Pokemon phenomenon had been underway so I always figured Digimon was a rip-off of it until many years later.
No Pokemon came to the states first but there was a much shorter gap between Digimon premiering in Japan (March 1999) and debuting on US television (August 1999) compared to Pokemon premiering in Japan in April 1997 and not coming state side until around September 1998. The seizure incident might have causes delays but who knows. Digimon’s short tuen around was probably done because Saban/Fox Kids wanted to grab the most Pokemon like franchise as soon as possible

And yeah technically Digimon is not a rip off but I think its pretty obvious Saban/Fox Kids tried their damnest to make it seen like one at times such as putting the most Pikachu esque member front and center on early merchandise

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:03 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:24 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:34 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:43 pm

Especially when you consider that it took just over a year for Pokemon to formally premiere dubbed on TV over here after already having been running almost continuously in Japan since early 1997 barring the four month hiatus later that year and partway into the next due to the "Pokemon Shock" incident and controversy surrounding it. By the time series one of Digimon started airing on Fox Kids the initial run of Pokemon's first season in syndication had already happened and the show subsequently moved over to Kids WB for the next batch of episodes in the Kanto/Indigo League (Plus repeats of the 50 some odd episodes which aired syndicated prior) section in early '99. It was already a full blown massive craze on both sides of the aisle at that point between the show, videos games, card game and everything else.

Digimon came over here more quickly for sure, but Pokemon had already beat them to the punch and definitely possesed the bigger franchise machine.
Digimon came to the states first? Huh i honestly did not know that, as a kid I didn't start hearing about Digimon until well after the Pokemon phenomenon had been underway so I always figured Digimon was a rip-off of it until many years later.
No Pokemon came to the states first but there was a much shorter gap between Digimon premiering in Japan (March 1999) and debuting on US television (August 1999) compared to Pokemon premiering in Japan in April 1997 and not coming state side until around September 1998. The seizure incident might have causes delays but who knows. Digimon’s short tuen around was probably done because Saban/Fox Kids wanted to grab the most Pokemon like franchise as soon as possible

And yeah technically Digimon is not a rip off but I think its pretty obvious Saban/Fox Kids tried their damnest to make it seen like one at times such as putting the most Pikachu esque member front and center on early merchandise
Ah OK thanks for clearing that up, I still remember that song Fox Kids did to promote Digimon in the summer and yes they sure did try to compete with Pokemon even if the series were quite different from one another. It's no coincidence that Fox released a Digimon movie in theaters a mere year after the first Pokemon movie made big money at the box-office, showing that western audiences would pay to see anime on the big-screen.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

MrSatan2099
Patreon Supporter

Post by MrSatan2099 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:51 pm

Any update on when we'll get to see the Q&A?

The Galactic Tyrant
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Galactic Tyrant » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:56 pm

Also eagerly waiting :)
Formally Known As SSj Gogito (Wait Who Was That)

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:30 pm

Same thing

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:16 am

Whoa this still hasn't happened yet? I thought for sure after my long break that this would've happened by now, now i'm getting kinda worried.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku