Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 54 - DBZ 75-79

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 54 - DBZ 75-79 (CURRENT WEEK)

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:39 am

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:46 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:47 pm In the old Z dub lines like Vegeta's "I am a friggin' genius" was as far as they were willing to go language wise, which is quite a huge difference when compared to just about a decade later in the Ultimate Uncut dub and especially Kai where there's multiple uses of damn, bastard, and i believe they even use freaking or friggin' at times but don't quote me on that. Pretty much everything short of "shit" and F-bombs.
I'm pretty sure Ultimate Uncut is free of any swears. Maybe a "Hell" or a "Damn" once or twice, but I don't think it ever went any further.

Kai is where they went full Anime Labs. :lol:
Still it's not anywhere near to the ridiculously over the top level of stuff like "Cut it out you piece of shit" or "You fucking bastard! You dare to destroy my house!...FUCK YOU!!!!" as the fan subbers from that group inserted left and right.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:08 am

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:37 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:13 pm Has anyone ever asked Chris Sabat or Sonny Strait about that line?

I’d say Ceyli Delgadillo but she seemed to have fallen off the face of earth.
I'm fairly sure a different line was used for the Ocean edit of the episode that aired on YTV after the Garlic Jr. saga premiered, so I think it's just a case of the engineers working on the TV edit slipping up. Makes a lot of sense that the only notable slip-up would happen this early, when they were still getting a feel for things.

I'll ask Arian if he has a clip.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:57 pm I'm really surprised that Dende's "piss off" line somehow slipped past the censors in the edited version, especially given how much the dub was avoiding more stronger words like the plague at the time.
My guess is Cartoon Network assumed Funimation could be relied on to not slip up (after all, Funi had their own standards and practices advisor), so they never really checked the episodes before airing them, then they realised the mistake, and muted it for subsequent airings.
Here is the clip, as requested by Robo himself. Keep in mind that out of all of the broadcasts and distributions of the episode that exist, the Canadian broadcast is the *only one* with this alternative line of dialogue.

https://youtu.be/9Fbe-4ujAm4
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:14 am

Arian wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:08 am
Robo4900 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:37 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:13 pm Has anyone ever asked Chris Sabat or Sonny Strait about that line?

I’d say Ceyli Delgadillo but she seemed to have fallen off the face of earth.
I'm fairly sure a different line was used for the Ocean edit of the episode that aired on YTV after the Garlic Jr. saga premiered, so I think it's just a case of the engineers working on the TV edit slipping up. Makes a lot of sense that the only notable slip-up would happen this early, when they were still getting a feel for things.

I'll ask Arian if he has a clip.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:57 pm I'm really surprised that Dende's "piss off" line somehow slipped past the censors in the edited version, especially given how much the dub was avoiding more stronger words like the plague at the time.
My guess is Cartoon Network assumed Funimation could be relied on to not slip up (after all, Funi had their own standards and practices advisor), so they never really checked the episodes before airing them, then they realised the mistake, and muted it for subsequent airings.
Here is the clip, as requested by Robo himself. Keep in mind that out of all of the broadcasts and distributions of the episode that exist, the Canadian broadcast is the *only one* with this alternative line of dialogue.

https://youtu.be/9Fbe-4ujAm4
Interesting. Not just the alternate line. In the original dub when Krillin says r-right in response to Dende there’s some audience insulting “We just made a funny kids laugh!” music beat that plays. In the YTV its just normal music (which I think also happens in the remastered dub)
Robo4900 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:46 pm

I'm pretty sure Ultimate Uncut is free of any swears. Maybe a "Hell" or a "Damn" once or twice, but I don't think it ever went any further.

Kai is where they went full Anime Labs. :lol:
I think, but I can’t remember for sure, they did start throwing damn and bastards and hell every now and then around the time they were on Namek (not to the extent of Kai or Super). Which made the fact there was no swearing in season 3 onward all the more at odds.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:40 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:14 am Interesting. Not just the alternate line. In the original dub when Krillin says r-right in response to Dende there’s some audience insulting “We just made a funny kids laugh!” music beat that plays. In the YTV its just normal music (which I think also happens in the remastered dub)
Yeah. The YTV edit used the same, slightly-before-the-final-touches version of the music that the Orange Bricks used.

I believe the reason for this discrepancy is that the music editors at Funi tended to make a few last-minute changes during the process of final mixing. So, these last changes weren't carried over to either the YTV edit or the Remastered dub.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:09 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:40 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:14 am Interesting. Not just the alternate line. In the original dub when Krillin says r-right in response to Dende there’s some audience insulting “We just made a funny kids laugh!” music beat that plays. In the YTV its just normal music (which I think also happens in the remastered dub)
Yeah. The YTV edit used the same, slightly-before-the-final-touches version of the music that the Orange Bricks used.

I believe the reason for this discrepancy is that the music editors at Funi tended to make a few last-minute changes during the process of final mixing. So, these last changes weren't carried over to either the YTV edit or the Remastered dub.
The remastered redub version of the line is also entirely different from either of those, there it's "Please guys, don't disrespect the dragon" which makes me wonder if that was yet another alternate version of the line they had written down somewhere for that scene and it was used instead of the "piss/tick off the god of love" line.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:31 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:09 pm

The remastered redub version of the line is also entirely different from either of those, there it's "Please guys, don't disrespect the dragon" which makes me wonder if that was yet another alternate version of the line they had written down somewhere for that scene and it was used instead of the "piss/tick off the god of love" line.

“Please don’t disrespect the dragon” was probably rewritten for the remastered dub specifically since they did make a few script changes and since Laura Bailey had to redub all of Ceyli Delgadillo’s dialog anyways and Nadolny and Strait were redubbing Gohan and Krillin at the time Funimation probably figured they would get rid of this random non-sequitur gag moment that had no business being there in the first place.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:35 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:31 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:09 pm

“Please don’t disrespect the dragon” was probably rewritten for the remastered dub specifically since they did make a few script changes and since Laura Bailey had to redub all of Ceyli Delgadillo’s dialog anyways and Nadolny and Strait were redubbing Gohan and Krillin at the time Funimation probably figured they would get rid of this random non-sequitur gag moment that had no business being there in the first place.
Yeah, i'll bet it was most likely a newly created line done for the redub and not in the pre existing dub script. Given how they rewrote a few though not all of the more god awful lines and jokes i'm not surprised that one was replaced.

On a side note, i checked and the radio/morse code sound effects on Kaio's antennae when they stand up and also other times when he uses his telepathic powers mentioned in the DBZ Uncensored article is definitely not in the redub. It appears those kinds of additions were entirely exclusive to the original pre remastered dub.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:04 pm

Pretty sure Funimation removed any additional sfx that wasn’t used in the Japanese version. Not sure if that was a mistake like using the work print version of the Faulconer track mix being used or an attempt to be “closer to the Japanese version” without having to do anything.

The voice filters were done away with too except Freeza’s second form is still pitched down to sound more masculine. And his third form in the original dub was some weird hybrid of his first form and second form talking in unison ala what they do with fused characters but in the remastered version its just the same pitched down version of form 2

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:10 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:04 pm Pretty sure Funimation removed any additional sfx that wasn’t used in the Japanese version. Not sure if that was a mistake like using the work print version of the Faulconer track mix being used or an attempt to be “closer to the Japanese version” without having to do anything.

The voice filters were done away with too except Freeza’s second form is still pitched down to sound more masculine. And his third form in the original dub was some weird hybrid of his first form and second form talking in unison ala what they do with fused characters but in the remastered version its just the same pitched down version of form 2
It may be those sound effects and such were built into the final mixes as used on the Toonami broadcasts and the VHS/DVD releases of the old dub, and all of those aren't in the work print ones which the remastered dub from 2007 onward use.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:40 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:04 pm Pretty sure Funimation removed any additional sfx that wasn’t used in the Japanese version. Not sure if that was a mistake like using the work print version of the Faulconer track mix being used or an attempt to be “closer to the Japanese version” without having to do anything.
Not entirely true. Some of the "zingers" were kept in (depending on who was or wasn't redubbed) and some of the sound effects that FUNimation supplied in their original dub were left in American music track. I don't know if this was to undermine the American score, but none of the "additional" SFX are left in the mainstay audio track with Kikuchi's music.

Exhibit A: https://youtu.be/9OsLK9u1IA0

But as you can see, in the Ocean edit of the same line, it does have the "derp" effect from the music which was given to them by FUNimation, but the "boing" sound effect at the end is absent because they didn't have the sound byte nor felt the need to put one in. Though it should be mentioned that plenty of SFX were added by Ocean in FUNimation's dub for broadcast on YTV, the same way they would apply SFX to their own dubs of the series (at least if we're talking about Z).

https://youtu.be/5pMOCoPjkd0

TL;DR, FUNimation supplied the music and voices but not the majority of the SFX, Ocean supplied those from their own library for the most part.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:20 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:04 pm The voice filters were done away with too except Freeza’s second form is still pitched down to sound more masculine. And his third form in the original dub was some weird hybrid of his first form and second form talking in unison ala what they do with fused characters but in the remastered version its just the same pitched down version of form 2
To be honest, I think the lack of voice filters was a mistake, just like all the other problems introduced by them using early mixes as the basis for the remastered dub.
Arian wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:40 am I don't know if this was to undermine the American score, but none of the "additional" SFX are left in the mainstay audio track with Kikuchi's music.
My guess is that they simply used their original music + effects track for the dub score track, while they did a 5.1 remix of the music + effects masters they had from Toei to make the Kikuchi score track, which is why the SFX are missing in the Kikuchi remastered dub.
Arian wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:40 am But as you can see, in the Ocean edit of the same line, it does have the "derp" effect from the music which was given to them by FUNimation, but the "boing" sound effect at the end is absent because they didn't have the sound byte nor felt the need to put one in. Though it should be mentioned that plenty of SFX were added by Ocean in FUNimation's dub for broadcast on YTV, the same way they would apply SFX to their own dubs of the series (at least if we're talking about Z).

TL;DR, FUNimation supplied the music and voices but not the majority of the SFX, Ocean supplied those from their own library for the most part.
My theory is that Funi gave Ocean the Toei SFX track as well as Funi's edited video masters, raw voice recordings, and the semi-final Faulconer score, then Ocean basically edited this all together as they saw fit, which is why the Funi-added SFX didn't make it in.

This is also my theory on how Ocean got production materials with which to record the Westwood Media dub. And, since Ocean were very possibly not given the Kikuchi score -- because Funi only gave them the materials necessary to do fresh edits of the show for YTV -- that's why Ocean used library music for their dub of Z, but used the original score for their work on DB and GT, where their production materials came from AB Groupe instead.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:34 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:20 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:04 pm The voice filters were done away with too except Freeza’s second form is still pitched down to sound more masculine. And his third form in the original dub was some weird hybrid of his first form and second form talking in unison ala what they do with fused characters but in the remastered version its just the same pitched down version of form 2
To be honest, I think the lack of voice filters was a mistake, just like all the other problems introduced by them using early mixes as the basis for the remastered dub.

Meh, for Super Buu I agree because it was incredibly distracting that it was Justin Cook using the exact same voice and delivery he used for Raditz (or will use for Raditz I guess if we’re going by production order )

I kind of prefer Freeza in his third not having the filter because the splicing of form 1 and 2 was more of a weird decision than anything.

The filter on 19 being removed felt off but not as distracting as Super Raditz Buu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:39 pm

While I don't like Young's Freeza performance, the very slight but noticable filter for the 4th form was a nice subtle distinction between the first and final forms
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:12 pm

Watching these again I have to appreciate how much thought Toriyama put in to preventing the Dragon Balls from resolving the Freeza fight before it begins. Porunga can grant 3 wishes, but in exchange he can't quite do everything, and he certainly cannot intuit the unspoken details of your wishes! :lol: The earth's Dragon Balls are back, but not an option because no one could have gathered them in advance with Kami gone, and now Piccolo being his cocky self just put that in jeopardy. You can't wish to heal Goku in the tank because by the time all of Porunga's rules are explained Vegeta's here and wouldn't leave anything left of you if you did (and Goku will be back to fight... eventually, anyway). I remember Sean Schemuel mentioning in interviews that in 1999 he would tell his dad "Goku's still in the tank, I'm not taking much in right now." Ouch.

I have always wondered what inspired FUNi to reach the "Linda Young version" of Freeza, but I have to say his telling King Vegeta he could have waited three days for that planet sounds just like something that Freeza would say.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:52 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:12 pm.

I have always wondered what inspired FUNi to reach the "Linda Young version" of Freeza
https://youtu.be/iDzSjm-cyeo

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:29 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:52 pm
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:12 pm.

I have always wondered what inspired FUNi to reach the "Linda Young version" of Freeza
https://youtu.be/iDzSjm-cyeo
Okay fine, the Pauline Newstone/Linda Young Freeza.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:56 pm

This alien thing looks gender ambiguous and wears lipstick lets give it an effeminate lizard like voice to creep out our young male audience

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:06 pm

The voice was memorable and creepy but miscast.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:40 pm

Pauline Newstone and Linda Young were both definitely miscast, they gave Freeza "chain smoker grandma" type voices that just didn't fit the character. Recasting the role with Chris Ayres in Kai was a great decision because he definitely captures the essence of Nakao's take of Freeza as a sadistic yet regal tyrant in a way that neither Newstone or Young did with their respective takes in the old dubs.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:43 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:40 pm Pauline Newstone and Linda Young were both definitely miscast, they gave Freeza "chain smoker grandma" type voices that just didn't fit the character at all. Recasting the role with Chris Ayres in Kai was a great decision because he definitely captures the essence of Nakao's take of Freeza as a sadistic yet regal tyrant in a way that neither Newstone or Young did with their takes in the old dubs.
Youg’s Freeza sounded like a chainsmoking granny. Newstone’s didn’t. Newstone was more gender androgynous freaky lizard alien thing.