What are your thoughts on parents trashing on the DB franchise?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What are your thoughts on parents trashing on the DB franchise?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:54 pm

My parents don't know shit about anime. They know Dragon Ball (my dad likes Majin Boo) and Pokemon but that's it.

Anyways it's common for old heads to hate on what's popular with the kids. I don't think DB falls under this trap anymore because it's old as fuck. Parents today probably grew up on it.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am
I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

KPike87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:04 am

My dad is an older fellow, about 66, but I thought to show him the original Dragon Ball because he quite likes all different kinds of animation, and I thought he'd like the light hearted story that doesn't take itself too seriously. He actually really likes, and we're up to episode 61 IIRC. I'd like to show him Kai 1.0 as well, but he's not too big into big spectacles in movies and the such, so I don't know if he'd really like the more "out there" action, but he really likes all the characters and story, so maybe he'll enjoy the plot to Kai.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:59 am

mute_proxy wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:10 pm
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:20 am
I'm not OK with parents disrespecting Dragon Ball for relatively unfounded reasons
The series revolves almost solely around physical violence.
I don't think you've watched or read Dragon Ball.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Beyond Newbie

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:41 pm

sangofe wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:59 am
mute_proxy wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:10 pm
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:20 am
I'm not OK with parents disrespecting Dragon Ball for relatively unfounded reasons
The series revolves almost solely around physical violence.
I don't think you've watched or read Dragon Ball.
Quite the contrary
Ryo Horikawa is my husbando even though I'm a guy

-FPSSJ4_Goku, 2021

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Location: an apartment complex huh...i find it quite simple, really.

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:46 pm

i think sangofe was responding to mute_proxy, and not you, given that their post was the last thing quoted. generally people won't quote 2 posts too respond to the earlier one, cus, they can just quote that post.
they/them
non gay eva fans dni | dic dub 90s sailor moon fans dni

twitter dvd for the sega cd | bi-weekly mal updates | my shitty music taste

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:19 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:46 pm
i think sangofe was responding to mute_proxy, and not you, given that their post was the last thing quoted. generally people won't quote 2 posts too respond to the earlier one, cus, they can just quote that post.

I was. DB is a lot more than violence. At least the early parts. But I'll admit certain parts can be seen as what's said.