What are your thoughts on parents trashing on the DB franchise?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

What are your thoughts on parents trashing on the DB franchise?

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:20 am

Do you know those kinds of parents who find it necessary to bash on all types of media, including anime? My mom personally doesn't like Dragon Ball, and while I'm OK with that (my dad enjoys it mostly because of all the cool scenes. Me and my sister are the only anime fans in my family), I'm not OK with parents disrespecting Dragon Ball for relatively unfounded reasons, most of which are the same reasons that video games are based on.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: What are your thoughts on parents trashing on the DB franchise?

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:36 am

I think everyone's entitled to their opinions, so I don't have an issue with people disliking what I like, however I'm not a fan of being judged based on my interests. I think it's unfair to say someone's immature or whatever based on them liking anime or playing video games, as it's IMO a very outdated way of thinking. As long as I'm doing whatever responsibilities I have on time, it's no one's business what I do on my free time.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:38 am

People still find anime/videogames weird and for nerds? In 2021? Can't be.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:45 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:36 am I think everyone's entitled to their opinions, so I don't have an issue with people disliking what I like, however I'm not a fan of being judged based on my interests. I think it's unfair to say someone's immature or whatever based on them liking anime or playing video games, as it's IMO a very outdated way of thinking. As long as I'm doing whatever responsibilities I have on time, it's no one's business what I do on my free time.
I have one experience with that, at one point I was watching it on Toonami, and I think it was the filler in the intro to the Cell Games, where Mr. Satan and his disciples were showing off and acting ridiculous, and my mom said something like this looks too immature for you to be watching.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:10 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:20 am I'm not OK with parents disrespecting Dragon Ball for relatively unfounded reasons
The series revolves almost solely around physical violence. Relatively unfounded reasons? Not so much.
You liking it does not dismiss their distaste or their reasons.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:36 pm

This sort of thing has happened before with other extremely popular franchises, like how Pokemon was getting attacked by people back in the day at the height of its massive blitz of popularity here in the late '90s/early 2000's for oftentimes crazy out there things. I can recall as a little kid looking at some of the websites and articles denouncing it as "evil" and "occult" and "satanic" plus other ridiculous accusations by people who just didn't get what it was and more or less still is to this day. My parents certainly didn't object to me being big into Dragon Ball, Pokemon or the other big things that were out there at the time.

Here's a few particular ones which reflect this type of mindset. Some of these when re reading them made me think "Really? What were these people on???"

https://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/bashing/satanic.html

https://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/bashing/ ... wkcab.html

https://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/bashing/ ... kemon.html

https://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/bashing/genitalia.html
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:25 pm

Most of the time it's fine, although animation has had a tough battle to fight over the years when it comes to being a respected medium of storytelling so there is a definite generational bias against it.

In my parents' generation, anime or even more American cartoons with adult-oriented narrative and direction like Avatar and Castlevania didn't exist, and so animation for older audiences didn't really take off, as it has in recent decades. Most people who grew up say in the 60s and 70s' perception of animation would have been all the Disney and Hannah Barbera cartoons, so their exposure to the medium was considerably more limited.

I do think future generations who have grown up with a wider variety of animated series and movies will have a more well rounded understanding of the medium, and this will have a knock on effect on Dragon Ball being more accepted.

Yeah there is some wacky stuff in Dragon Ball that would make some adults roll their eyes, but the same can be said for MCU movies, and look at how well loved by multiple generations they are now, and there was a time when Marvel comics were seen as something for basement dwelling losers.

I don't see why Dragon Ball's perception among the general masses couldn't become more favorable with time. I'd say with how Goku and Jiren's fight being shown in bars in Latin America it's only a matter of time that the stereotype surrounding us fans dies down, and when it does we can all say we had the last laugh :D
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:50 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:25 pmIn my parents' generation, anime or even more American cartoons with adult-oriented narrative and direction like Avatar and Castlevania didn't exist, and so animation for older audiences didn't really take off, as it has in recent decades. Most people who grew up say in the 60s and 70s' perception of animation would have been all the Disney and Hannah Barbera cartoons, so their exposure to the medium was considerably more limited.
Wasn't Batman the animated series one of, if not the first American animated series to be suitable for adults as well as children ?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:55 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:50 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:25 pmIn my parents' generation, anime or even more American cartoons with adult-oriented narrative and direction like Avatar and Castlevania didn't exist, and so animation for older audiences didn't really take off, as it has in recent decades. Most people who grew up say in the 60s and 70s' perception of animation would have been all the Disney and Hannah Barbera cartoons, so their exposure to the medium was considerably more limited.
Wasn't Batman the animated series one of, if not the first American animated series to be suitable for adults as well as children ?
The Simpsons came out 3 years prior and while it was controversial it clearly had a lot of appeal to kids in the 90s and a lot of merchandise , particularly with Bart on them, existed and aimed for kids.

Then you had the Flintstones which considering they were being used to advertise cigarettes probably meant advertisers were aware more than kids were watching it.

So no Batman TAS was not one of the first and it was almost explicitly made for kids it just didn’t treat them like morons and thus adults who liked Batman could enjoy it too but it was never for them.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:10 pm

I look at them the same as those fools that thought Harry Potter was "satanic" in the 90s, I just don't pay them any mind. My dad thought the Kirby anime was weird but other then that my parents never really said much about the shows I was watching(I do remember one time watching Stripperella at my grandmothers house as a teen and my mom was shocked by that show LOL).
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:35 pm

You know, I actually have a fan series called Dragon Ball GB that is currently stuck in a folder in my Google Drive. So far there are six episodes and two seasons (1 season = 3 episodes.) and I try my damn hardest to make it family-friendly. Do you think I should release these episodes on YouTube with or without my parents' permission? I'm 13 BTW (edit: my god, this sounds like a Quora question.)

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:39 pm

Also, today I learned that in Japan, Tenshinhan and Android 16 share a VA with Marth, and Fu shares a VA with Link!

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:43 pm

i'm sure you already know given your signature but horikawa has always been the voice of captain falcon in the smash games. there's a lot of fun db cast and video game connections, like how Roy Campbell in the original metal gear solid is voiced by takeshi aono (piccolo daimao/kami), and in peace walker i believe, young roy Campbell is voiced by toshio furukawa, piccolo jr. doubt it was on purpose, but still fun.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:00 pm

Takeshi Aono? Doesn't Bin Shimada voice Kami and Broly? Pretty sure Aono only voiced King Piccolo, but we're here to talk about parents trashing on DB, not about VAs.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:15 pm

aono voiced god prior to his death in 2012, i actually didn't know shimada took over for the role though lol.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:25 am

Planetnamek wrote: (I do remember one time watching Stripperella at my grandmothers house as a teen and my mom was shocked by that show LOL).

I legitimately forgot that show existed lmao.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:32 am

what the hell is Stripperella?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:44 am

My dad used to Dragon Ball Z with me on the weekend mornings growing up. Lord, I was maybe 9-11 years old? I can't remember twenty years ago very well! My mom didn't care for it but she did enjoy a lot of other anime I showed her, like Claymore. Nowadays she watches a lot of anime with me. Crunchyroll makes it very easy for us to marathon series.

Of course, I'm now old enough to be the mother of a child old enough to like Dragon Ball. Didn't think I'd live this long...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:47 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:32 am what the hell is Stripperella?
Google exist bud

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:56 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:32 am what the hell is Stripperella?
It was an animated show on Spike TV(which was originally TNN), back in 2003-2004 they had a short-lived block of animated shows including Stripperella(developed by none other then Stan Lee), an adult revival of Ren and Stimpy and Gary the Rat(an adaptation of a web cartoon).
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:25 am
Planetnamek wrote: (I do remember one time watching Stripperella at my grandmothers house as a teen and my mom was shocked by that show LOL).

I legitimately forgot that show existed lmao.
I'm sure many people that watched the Spike TV animated shows wish they could forget them :lol: Though I have a certain fondness for them. Come to think of it, Spike might not have been a bad place to air Anime, they certainly had the right demographic for it what with them airing the game awards for the longest time.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku