Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 58 - DBZ 95-99

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 58 - DBZ 95-99 (CURRENT WEEK)

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:48 am

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:00 am . That’s probably what FUNimation was going for, but it makes him seem like a Christ figure.
And go figure later media adaptations of Superman like Smallville and Superman Returns and especially Man of Steel ran with the idea of Superman being a Christ like figure (which considering Superman was created by two Jewish guys and was meant to be an allegory for Moses is kind of shitty) so Funimation making their Superman’d up Goku act Christ like is almost prophetic tbh.

As far as the Japanese version of the speech is concerned, it’s obviously not as out of nowhere as FUNimation’s version, but it’s still a little weird. Goku doesn’t know or care about the Super Saiyan legend, so so I don’t know if it makes sense for him to brag about becoming one
He knows Freeza blew up his home planet because he was afraid of a Super Saiyan. Vegeta even told him as much. It’s less bragging about his ancestral legend and more letting this genocidal bastard know he’s getting what’s coming to him by having to deal with what he always feared. “You killed my best friend and now you’re fucked”
. Also, where did Goku get the idea that having a pure heart was a prerequisite for the transformation? Vegeta never mentioned that.
He didn’t say that.

Per the subtitles

Despite my calm quiet heart I am the legendary warrior
awakened by intense anger”

He’s not saying he became a Super Saiyan because of a pure heart but in spite of having one he has become a Super Saiyan because of the intense anger that overcame him when Freeza murdered his best friend and threatened his son was next.

I think Funimation’s more accurate but not quite right dialog in Kai messed up by saying “Pure of heart and awakened by fury “ which made it sound like a pure heart was needed.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 58 - DBZ 95-99

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:47 am

I always though pure heart stuff was Goku talking strictly about himself, too. He was just...strangely poetic about it.

But then of course, the Krillin line when Vegeta transforms throws a wrench through that...and how the fuck would Krillin even KNOW that anyway? He wasn't alive during the moment (obviously), Gohan wasn't there, and with how reclusive Goku he is they probably hadn't even talked after they left to train!

But then again, Toriyama's definition of pure heart, as he's revealed in interviews, doesn't necessarily mean "good."
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:17 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:47 am But then of course, the Krillin line when Vegeta transforms throws a wrench through that...and how the fuck would Krillin even KNOW that anyway? He wasn't alive during the moment (obviously), Gohan wasn't there, and with how reclusive Goku he is they probably hadn't even talked after they left to train!

That is true. Even though Goku’s own dialog basically said he became a Super Saiyan in spite of his pure heart and not because of a pure heart, Kuririn (who like you said had no reason to know how any of this works) is surprised Vegeta can transform because he doesn’t have a pure heart like Goku. And Vegeta just tells him he has a pure evil heart so same thing.

The only possible explanation I can think of is Kuririn is making a giant assumption based on simply knowing Goku has a pure heart and most Saiyans like Vegeta don’t...

At any rate until Goten and Present timeline Trunks every Saiyan became Super Saiyan due to intense rage.

MyVisionity
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 58 - DBZ 95-99 (CURRENT WEEK)

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:19 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:48 am Per the subtitles

Despite my calm quiet heart I am the legendary warrior
awakened by intense anger”

He’s not saying he became a Super Saiyan because of a pure heart but in spite of having one he has become a Super Saiyan because of the intense anger that overcame him when Freeza murdered his best friend and threatened his son was next.

But then in the next episode:

Freeza: "Having a calm, quiet heart, then awakened by intense anger, huh? I see. Which is why no matter how hard Vegeta worked at it, he could not become one."

In episode 129:

Kuririn: "I thought if you didn't have a calm, still heart, you couldn't become a Super Saiyan."

Vegeta: "My heart was calm and still. Still and pure. However, it was purely evil."

So it seems like Freeza put the "calm and quiet heart" thing together with the intense anger part, and that's how it was from then on. Toriyama probably intended it that way, even though Goku's wording is different.

I guess it doesn't exactly explain how Kuririn knew, but he may have just been given that line for the audience's benefit.

Not sure how the "pure" thing factors in exactly. Other than a cool line from Vegeta.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:17 am

Personally I figured that this was one of those assumptions about Super Saiyan that was quietly disproven by the story, and a lot of the details of the legend were revealed to be false assumptions.

For example, on Namek Vegeta talks about the Legendary Super Saiyan as if there's only one person who can accomplish it, which works at that point because when Vegeta claims that he IS now a Super Saiyan, that locks out Goku and Gohan as options. However by the Androids we see that Vegeta can do it too, and the idea that it's a singular person was quietly not brought up ever again.

Similarly, the pure of heart thing I feel was thrown out the window by the Buu arc when Kid Trunks, who is a bit of a dick, is able to accomplish the form. I can see Gohan and Goten riding the Nimbus, but not Kid Trunks.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:33 am

The pure of heart thing comes completely out of nowhere. That’s all there is to it.