GT and misogyny

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: GT and misogyny

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:35 am

You are not making it up yes. But you are using it to dismiss sexism against women. I know Sexism hurts men too but you are doing a whataboutism. Which may have true arguments but are used in bad fiath fasshion to dismiss other stuff.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:39 am

super michael wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:32 am My question on the other hand is simple it is a yes or no question and I gave all the information needed about Sakura from Naruto. I even gave evidence about the discussion about Sakura incase you think I was making it up.
Your question is a clear deflection from the topic at hand so I feel no need to engage with it. And as Cure Dragon pointed out, that example only further proves the point being made in this thread anyway.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:45 am

Err...yeah, this is just whatabout-ism. The victim of this writing is Sakura for being relegated to the role of comedic relief because Kishimoto and his editors are too chicken shit to actually write for her most of the time. I actually like Sakura (she does have an arc, it's just rarely touched on) and think fans give her too much shit but that also doesn't excuse Kishimoto acting like women are space aliens nobody can understand. Most shounen comics creators do this and they need to be held to a higher standard in that regard. You have editors for a goddamn reason!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:48 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:35 am You are not making it up yes. But you are using it to dismiss sexism against women. I know Sexism hurts men too but you are doing a whataboutism. Which may have true arguments but are used in bad fiath fasshion to dismiss other stuff.
Lets start with what I know Dragon Ball the manga and anime I know inside out. The female characters were treated horrible I agree with that, everytime Bulma needed something she normally had to do something embarrasing like show something, touch something of her or something to do with dating. Then there is Lunch a interesting character that was forgotten for no reason, she never appears in DBZ at all or DBS.

Then there is Master Roshi in DBS chasing and hassaring a female but no one cares or when Master Roshi was trying to do his thing with Puar transformed as a female character.

I can understand why people wouldn't like those writing at all. People wants to see character they can relate being useful, being important to the plot and being meaningful.

Then there the whole when a characters gets married they just happen to quit their hobby 100% and just happens to stop training and fighting altogether no matter how much they like it.

As for emotional support I can't say anything unless I understand what that means.
Last edited by super michael on Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:50 am

Now we are talkin'! That's nice.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:28 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:39 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:26 pm There’s also tons of problematic humor in 80s American films (seriously pick any goddamn John Hughes movie and there’s either racism, rape humor, or both) it doesn’t make it less wrong. I can assure you people knew rape was bad in the 80s. We didn’t just figure it out in 2013
Not John Hughes but Revenge of the Nerds... sweet Jesus.
I like that movie(and Hughes films, especially since they were filmed in Northbrook which is fairly close to where I live and where my mom works) but yeah that whole scene is awkward today, even one of the actors from that film(Curtis Armstrong)had his character in American Dad take a potshot at that film over that scene.

Molly Ringwald also did a whole op-ed about her films with John Hughes and how some parts of them haven't aged well.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:37 pm

yeah i'm a little late, and while i know basically nothing about nar roo toe, if sakura is a character that everybody in the fandom dislikes, and the author has openly stated he doesn't know how to write women, i'd more then likely guess that she's a victim of poor, Bitches Be Crazy writing, rather then it being a double standard or anything.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:21 am

As always the real issue is Sasuke. Sure Kishi could've wrote Sakura not still keeping her undying love for Sasuke but he also could've just not wrote Sasuke abusing her.
We the ones

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:03 pm

Toei in general is sexist.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:09 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:03 pm Toei in general is sexist.
Japan in general is sexist.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:53 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:09 pm
Earth in general is sexist.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:35 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:53 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:09 pm
Earth in general is sexist.
Humanity in general sucks. But the idea that we can do better provides just enough of a reason to keep going forward and not see ourselves as lost causes.

blacksymbiote
Beyond Newbie

Post by blacksymbiote » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:28 pm

Pan was more relevant in GT than Vegeta was.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:45 pm

blacksymbiote wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:28 pm Pan was more relevant in GT than Vegeta was.
That doesn’t make turning her into a damsel and refusing to let her go Super Saiyan to continue to fulfill that role less sexist.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:50 pm

Many Men sure do like to loudly hand-wave misogyny because it does not personally affect them.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:58 pm

I know I'm late but I'd say that the misogyny and especially the more perverted "jokes" in Dragon Ball are my least favorite parts of the series. I'm glad that society as a whole is evolving more and more away from that (even if there is MUCH progress to still be made) but yeah, even the trope of "well I dont know how to write women so I'm gonna write them as (insert stereotype here)" is quite frustrating, that's why Chi Chi is a character whom people have mixed opinions on.

I also dont see the need for whatabout-ism, as this is a very serious and intricate topic to discuss. If how some of these stereotypes affect men is something that you want to be talked about, why not make a separate thread? I think that could be much more productive than arguments going in circles and distracting from the topic in this thread, which is more about Pan in GT (and on a more broad level, misogyny in Dragon Ball or anime in general).

This is a very massive topic to tackle and I dont see the harm in discussing how it affects men (as long as its mature discussion and not to put down the experience of women), I feel as though it's a big enough topic that something like that would need it's own separate thread, where it doesnt distract from this discussion itself.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:28 pm

I do think Dragon Ball undersells men, but only insomuch as it doesn't really portray cool men...it portrays and focuses on a bunch of assholes because lolz. Such is the curse of never really wanting to be serious or think serious...or have emotions. It's toxic masculinity from Toriyama and others.
She/Her
bisexual milf

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:28 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:45 pm
blacksymbiote wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:28 pm Pan was more relevant in GT than Vegeta was.
That doesn’t make turning her into a damsel and refusing to let her go Super Saiyan to continue to fulfill that role less sexist.
Even if she did get Super Saiyan, she’d still get one shotted by Baby, Super 17 and Shenron, so what difference would that have made?
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:30 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:28 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:45 pm
Even if she did get Super Saiyan, she’d still get one shotted by Baby, Super 17 and Shenron, so what difference would that have made?
...then you focus on improving other aspects of the writing. Which you know...because it's right there in the post you just quoted.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:41 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:28 pm Even if she did get Super Saiyan, she’d still get one shotted by Baby, Super 17 and Shenron, so what difference would that have made?
If she had got Super Saiyan but her role were still of a damsel in distress, not doing much (even "one shotting" random/past villains, like Goten and Trunks were seeing doing it), then the problem would be even worse than it is already.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~