GT and misogyny

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Re: GT and misogyny

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:11 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:01 pm just to tie in stuff between trans topics, shounen and misogyny, i've always wondered why ranma 1/2 demographic is considered shounen when, more girls read it then boys and rumiko takahashi has said she intended it to be more so for girls. like i know it ran in a shounen magazine but at that point, idk.

^also Yuli_Ban those rock, i love them.
My guess is that since Takahashi had expereice working with Weekly Shōnen Sunday on Urusei Yatsura, she would want to work on a platform where she had an established fanbase.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:47 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:58 pm And here all I wanted was this:
Whoa! Lil Ms. Taopaipai is what I never knew I wanted. Very cool design! If they could somehow incorporate a character like this into the modern stuff, that'd be rad, but if they ever do reboot the series or explore in-universe spinoffs I'd for sure like to see more characters like this. Caulifla-chan looks interesting too. I wouldn't mind a mini arc that explored her origins.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:03 am

Ms tao look so cool Yuli
Mostly active on discord.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:36 pm

Doesn't one of GT's endings show Videl as a housewife with a frying pan in her hand cooking from the back? GT made Videl as much a housewife as Super did, so it's not any different than people were used to.

For that matter, GT treats Videl like she's an "old lady" even though her and Gohan are only what...in their mid-30's in GT? I know in anime kids like Pan are considered main characters and anyone over 25 is considered "over the hill" but it's still weird. Maybe it's because most of us are in our 30's now in real life that seeing anime treat 30+ year olds like they're ancient is really funny.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:28 pm

precita wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:36 pm Doesn't one of GT's endings show Videl as a housewife with a frying pan in her hand cooking from the back? GT made Videl as much a housewife as Super did, so it's not any different than people were used to.

For that matter, GT treats Videl like she's an "old lady" even though her and Gohan are only what...in their mid-30's in GT? I know in anime kids like Pan are considered main characters and anyone over 25 is considered "over the hill" but it's still weird. Maybe it's because most of us are in our 30's now in real life that seeing anime treat 30+ year olds like they're ancient is really funny.

Pretty sure Videl and Gohan would only be 26 in GT.

They were 16 in the Boo saga, five years passed for the epilogue of Z and then another 5 years passed for GT.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:29 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:28 pm Pretty sure Videl and Gohan would only be 26 in GT.

They were 16 in the Boo saga, five years passed for the epilogue of Z and then another 5 years passed for GT.
10 years passed for the Z epilogue, so they'd be 31.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:38 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:29 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:28 pm Pretty sure Videl and Gohan would only be 26 in GT.

I could have sworn it was 5 years and the 10 years was a Funimation addition?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:41 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:38 pm

And So, After 10 Years

As I recall it's the GT gap that Funi adjusted, likely to move Pan's age.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:45 pm

KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:41 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:38 pm
And So, After 10 Years

As I recall it's the GT gap that Funi adjusted, likely to move Pan's age.
Oof my mistake. That makes sense. Oob definitely wasn’t 5 at the 28th Budokai

So Gohan would be close to pushing 40 in the Funimation timeline for GT huh?

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:20 pm

The Blue Water GT dub technically had GT as 10 years later, as TV promos for it said 10 years.

I don't think Funimation's dub ever had a line referencing the gap, although a booklet for Season 1 had listed it as 7 years.

10 years always made more sense to me than the official 5 though. Pan and Bulla both dress like teenagers and are seen dating guys, which is especially strange if Pan is only 9. Bulla even drives a car which is very impressive for a 12 year old.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:32 pm

10 years from Buu to EoZ, and 5 from Z to GT.

I always thought it was 10 from Z to GT, although the show never said how much time had passed, but I remember an official source saying it takes place 5 years after Goku took off with Uub.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:03 pm

GT takes place five years after the battle with Uub according to databooks.

Thirty-one year old Videl is 😳 but I am nevertheless disappointed by the continued arbitrary decisions tp disarm women and treat them as plot devices for mens' emotional development. I want better.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:42 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:20 pm
10 years always made more sense to me than the official 5 though. Pan and Bulla both dress like teenagers and are seen dating guys, which is especially strange if Pan is only 9. Bulla even drives a car which is very impressive for a 12 year old.
Yeah I think their general representations come off either like miscommunication by staff or just a total brain fart all together. Like they had one idea in mind but in the midst of writing it down jumbled other ideas into it as well, that's why Pan sometimes acts like a bratty child but then also like a teenager and Bra was treated like a 16/17 year old all the way through despite them both not being old enough for puberty yet.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:03 pm

With Pan and Bra there was probably some lolicons involved in the production that led to the treatment of those two characters being "young girls, but sexualized despite their on-paper ages". Anime and manga tends to do this a lot by dual-coding characters so that they can serve a story/dialogue purpose and a sort of continuity purpose.

Basically, I think their contrasting and conflicting ages and story purposes is someone's kink.
She/Her
bisexual milf

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:04 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:03 pm With Pan and Bra there was probably some lolicons involved in the production that led to the treatment of those two characters being "young girls, but sexualized despite their on-paper ages". Anime and manga tends to do this a lot by dual-coding characters so that they can serve a story/dialogue purpose and a sort of continuity purpose.

Basically, I think their contrasting and conflicting ages and story purposes is someone's kink.
Would not surprise me with the way Bra is dressed.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:07 pm

Yeah I never really had a problem with Pan dating since they were never explicit about her age in the show, and may not have even given a shit about the official ages or whatever. Plus a 9/10 year old going out on dates isn't especially disturbing to me, if you don't overthink it. With Pan it comes off more cute/funny than anything else for me.

I agree that anime/manga tends to sexualize pre-adolescent young girls and have it both ways, and that's very troubling even in GT.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:01 am

precita wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:36 pm Doesn't one of GT's endings show Videl as a housewife with a frying pan in her hand cooking from the back? GT made Videl as much a housewife as Super did, so it's not any different than people were used to.

Yeah, Japan has ridiculous standards for what constitutes 'young.' I can think of two anime from recent memory where a character pretends to be 17, and the characters respond to her with "lmao you wish you were 17." In both cases, the characters in question were... 20. Is there even a visible difference between the two ages?

I agree with anime (and presumably broader Japan) that one's "prime" begins at around 16, but I disagree on the ending point. Instead of being an ugly and washed-up has-been by the end of your 20s, I think of the 20s, 30s, and 40s all as being young. People in their 40s are generally healthy, attractive, and dark-haired. Even as a little kid I always thought of the 40s as being fairly young. (I think of the 50s, 60s, and 70s in generally positive terms as well - the risk of dementia in your 70s is still low, the vast majority have normal mobility with no cane or anything required, and it's the last decade where surviving the whole thing is in your favor, since 70 year old men have a life expectancy of 84 and women of 86 - but even I wouldn't think of anything from 50 on as being outright 'young.')
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:25 am

Thirty feels old when you miss out on your youth thanks to familial and societal hindrances. It's a huge problem with how capitalism forces the majority to live to work.
She/Her
bisexual milf

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:52 pm

A woman hits her natural physical and most fertile peak any wear between 20-25, after that her looks naturally start to decline unless she puts in the work to keep them up I.E. Working out, skin care routines etc. The thing is.. women age differently than men in that Pregnancies becomes more "High Risk" once a woman hits 36 and up. It's not to say that she cant have babies but her health will be in serious jeopardy, especially if she plans to have multiple. That's why its always advocated that women try to settle down sooner so that way they can get babies out of the way and continue to build their life from there. Obviously the way society is set up now a days, it doesn't happen that way all that often anymore but its still ideal from a biology standpoint. Guys have the privilege to still plant seeds well into their 40s,50s and even 60s, so the clock doesn't tick for us nearly as quickly.

That said I never understood the "Lolicon" appeal in anime/manga and not entirely sure who it's supposed to appeal too, I always kinda raised an eyebrow when I saw huge Double D boobs bouncing around on what looks like a 10 year old girl. GT has a scene where Pan gets nipped by a Deer thinking she's its mother looking for milk and that seen in particular always stuck out to me as kinda random given what's supposed to be Pan's age, which is 9. I could by past it if she was 16 like Bulma because then at the very least it could sorta hint at things like coming of age and woman hood etc, but its just a one off thing.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:59 pm

There's something worse than the deer scene in GT, Doll Taki removes Pan's t-shirt to take a look at her breasts and he's pretty much drooling over her while doing it, she was a doll at the time but the implications were still there. It's censored in certain dubs.

It gets even worse when you think that Doll Taki seems to be gay or at least notoriusly effeminate, reinforcing the gay = perv crap.