GT and misogyny

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: GT and misogyny

Post by Dr. Casey » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:02 pm

It's technically true, but I also think many people get excessively hung up on that increase in risk and paint a bleaker picture than what actually exists.

A 35 year old's 1 in 192 chance of genetic problems might not be as good as a 20 year old's 1 in 526 chance, but I don't think that I would look at any situation and go "Man, there's only a 191 out of 192 chance that things will turn out okay... I don't like those odds." :P Even a 45 year old's 95 percent chance of a birth without complications are dramatically in her favor, but I won't deny that by that point the numbers are getting pretty scary.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:08 pm

I've met people that smoked like a chimney and lived to see 80, and I've known nonsmokers who got lung cancer at 30, that doesn't mean the statistics aren't what they are. While anectdotal evidence is sometimes helpful, it doesn't paint a complete picture and your experience might by atyptical.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:12 pm

?
I posted stats and didn't say anything anecdotal

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:14 pm

Dr. Casey wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:12 pm ?
I posted stats and didn't say anything anecdotal
I was making a broader point and not contradicting anything you wrote. Sorry that wasn't clear. I meant "your" in a general sense, not you specifically.
Last edited by ABED on Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:15 pm

Ah okay. Assumed that was at me since you posted both before and after me.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:16 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:02 pm It's not a hard and fast rule, but it is overwhelmingly true for the majority of people. Again, not a controversial point and your anecdotal evidence proof that what I'm saying is wrong. The body does begin to begin to break down quicker when you hit your mid 30s GENERALLY SPEAKING.
I am not saying your wrong. That is really bad if in the mid 30s the body starts to break down, it is too bad there is no treatment at all to stop that from happening.

Life can be really unfair. One person can have the perfect body with their perfect health, while another person body can have a lot of problems and require a lot of research to solve and improve their body and health.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:17 pm

Dr. Casey wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:15 pm Ah okay. Assumed that was at me since you posted both before and after me.
I actually agree with it. I think statistics are helpful when making these sorts of decisions about risk as there are also plenty of other factors to consider than just numbers

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:26 pm

super michael wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:16 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:02 pm It's not a hard and fast rule, but it is overwhelmingly true for the majority of people. Again, not a controversial point and your anecdotal evidence proof that what I'm saying is wrong. The body does begin to begin to break down quicker when you hit your mid 30s GENERALLY SPEAKING.
I am not saying your wrong. That is really bad if in the mid 30s the body starts to break down, it is too bad there is no treatment at all to stop that from happening.

Life can be really unfair. One person can have the perfect body with their perfect health, while another person body can have a lot of problems and require a lot of research to solve and improve their body and health.
It's not all bad. What ABED says is true and the answer to the question "Will I always be the exact same in every way as I was in my 20s?" might always be no, but the answer to "Can I stay in good enough health that I'm happy and life is worth living?" can be yes (genetics and luck willing). My 72 year old father has a six-pack, can fully extend himself using an exercise wheel, and has a heart rate on par with Olympic athletes. My maternal grandfather was still carrying heavy logs around over his shoulder when he was 83 and built a really complex exercise machine by himself when he was 88. My paternal grandmother was still a good dancer at 88.

Exercise can definitely help a lot. Aging is an incredibly slow process, whereas the benefits gained from exercise are provided very quickly.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:49 pm

Dr. Casey wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:26 pm
super michael wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:16 pm

It's not all bad. What ABED says is true and the answer to the question "Will I always be the exact same in every way as I was in my 20s?" might always be no, but the answer to "Can I stay in good enough health that I'm happy and life is worth living?" can be yes (genetics and luck willing). My 72 year old father has a six-pack, can fully extend himself using an exercise wheel, and has a heart rate on par with Olympic athletes. My maternal grandfather was still carrying heavy logs around over his shoulder when he was 83 and built a really complex exercise machine by himself when he was 88. My paternal grandmother was still a good dancer at 88.

Exercise can definitely help a lot. Aging is an incredibly slow process, whereas the benefits gained from exercise are provided very quickly.
That is really good that both your grandfather is really fit, strong and healthy. It goes to show how hard work can really pay off.
It is good to see your grandmother is still a good dancer.

Right now I can say my health has been good and now that the gym are open now I can start the gym again. It also helps now I got the 2nd injection for the Covid.

Sleeping is really important, I know what it is like to not be able to sleep properly. Back in the days when Asthma was a problem I used to cough when I tried to sleep and when I managed to sleep I would wake up in the middle of the night out of breathe wheezy. Luckily that isn't a issue anymore. What helped with that was doing Tai Chi, doing the breathing excercise and the Tai Chi form really helped a lot.

Edit my problem is there are times I feel like I missed out in life and because of that there are times I sometimes get jealous. There are times I get annoyed at myself for that reason.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:56 pm

Normally I'd be annoyed that ABED hijacked yet another thread... but its better than Krump at least.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:06 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:56 pm Normally I'd be annoyed that ABED hijacked yet another thread... but its better than Krump at least.
This thread somehow shifted from being about Pan being disrespected to fucking embryonic birth defects. It's quite amazing
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:14 pm

Many members here are good in kanzenshuu and it is good that I joined this forum. It is better than another website I go to that has many trouble making members.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:52 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:56 pm Normally I'd be annoyed that ABED hijacked yet another thread... but its better than Krump at least.
Nice to know we can refrain from making things personal...

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:28 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:06 pm This thread somehow shifted from being about Pan being disrespected to fucking embryonic birth defects. It's quite amazing
Could be weirder, imagine a thread about GT having a nice ending turning into a 35 page thread about misogyny.
ABED wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:52 pm
Also agreed with this ^

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:33 pm

You are awesome ABED. I really dont mind your hijacking. Dont think that as an unkind comment.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:36 pm

I think some folks skipped over the part where I said being older and giving birth isn't a death sentence but Casey and ABED have made my points clearer.
JewyB wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:28 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:06 pm This thread somehow shifted from being about Pan being disrespected to fucking embryonic birth defects. It's quite amazing
Could be weirder, imagine a thread about GT having a nice ending turning into a 35 page thread about misogyny.
Ha! Imagine that.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:41 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:33 pm
You are awesome ABED. I really dont mind your hijacking. Dont think that as an unkind comment.
Sorry I got defensive.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:11 am

This is more of a problem with sexism. Literally most characters stopped fighting anyway except for Ten and Goku and Vegeta.

I don’t see Videl going out of her way to become some kind of force that Goku and Vegeta are, I just don’t. Kale and Caulifla on the other hand I do.

It’s important to use the correct words to describe these sorts of things or you end up with a half baked argument that doesn’t make a lot of sense.

I think with Super Pan being born gives leeway to her becoming a really interesting character who hopefully will play a big part later on and become more powerful than other women who occupied the same roles.

One last thing I want to touch on is not related but instead related to a comment that was made.
(Also, it's just offensive to turn down someone you're in to because of their genitalia).
Julie, don’t say this, it just isn’t true. People have genital preferences and that’s okay, it’s when you are specifically rejecting someone because they are trans is where things get fishy. But throwing what you said out there is harmful. Some people literally don’t like vaginas, whether that’s trauma or just the way their brain is wired isn’t their fault. You can’t force someone to date another person.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:36 am

Topic. Let’s be on it! 😂 Please thank you and that’s all!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::