GT and misogyny

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: GT and misogyny

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:04 pm

To very briefly touch on the idea of "nobody was thinking that in 1983" argument, in Ancient Greek mythology there were many relationships that were homosexual, and there was even a god who was non-binary. These ideas didn't spring up out of nowhere in the 1960s, they existed for thousands of years before other cultures came along 2000 years ago and stamped them into the ground.

The point is that continuing on the present course (even through mental muscle memory) is only spreading the wrong ideaologies around, and that is arguably even more true when your story is aimed at boys aged 10-16 because they're most impressionable at that age. It shouldn't really need to be said that Toriyama having sexual assault and a rape joke in a kids comic strip is INCREDIBLY QUESTIONABLE.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:26 pm

There’s also tons of problematic humor in 80s American films (seriously pick any goddamn John Hughes movie and there’s either racism, rape humor, or both) it doesn’t make it less wrong. I can assure you people knew rape was bad in the 80s. We didn’t just figure it out in 2013

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:36 pm

Yeah, like...hello, the AIDS pandemic killed tens of thousands of trans women and men in the 1980s. Reagan knew what he was doing by ignoring it, he just didn't give a shit about some faggots and trannies.

Bigotry has always been wrong. It's a law of the universe, whether the powerful want to acknowledge it or not is unrelated.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:39 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:26 pm There’s also tons of problematic humor in 80s American films (seriously pick any goddamn John Hughes movie and there’s either racism, rape humor, or both) it doesn’t make it less wrong. I can assure you people knew rape was bad in the 80s. We didn’t just figure it out in 2013
Not John Hughes but Revenge of the Nerds... sweet Jesus.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:56 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:04 pm To very briefly touch on the idea of "nobody was thinking that in 1983" argument, in Ancient Greek mythology there were many relationships that were homosexual, and there was even a god who was non-binary. These ideas didn't spring up out of nowhere in the 1960s, they existed for thousands of years before other cultures came along 2000 years ago and stamped them into the ground.

The point is that continuing on the present course (even through mental muscle memory) is only spreading the wrong ideaologies around, and that is arguably even more true when your story is aimed at boys aged 10-16 because they're most impressionable at that age. It shouldn't really need to be said that Toriyama having sexual assault and a rape joke in a kids comic strip is INCREDIBLY QUESTIONABLE.
I thought the target audience for Dragon Ball was 7-12 or something like that? 16 seems too old.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:57 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:56 pm
KBABZ wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:04 pm To very briefly touch on the idea of "nobody was thinking that in 1983" argument, in Ancient Greek mythology there were many relationships that were homosexual, and there was even a god who was non-binary. These ideas didn't spring up out of nowhere in the 1960s, they existed for thousands of years before other cultures came along 2000 years ago and stamped them into the ground.

I thought the target audience for Dragon Ball was 7-12 or something like that? 16 seems too old.

That doesn’t at all change KBABZ’s point.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:59 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:56 pm I thought the target audience for Dragon Ball was 7-12 or something like that? 16 seems too old.
According to a quick Google, the age bracket is 12-18. This pretty much covers the breadth of what Dragon Ball does throughout the manga, ranging from the Pilaf Arc to Namek and the Androids, but yeah... Dragon ball is aimed at 12 year olds and has sexual assault in it. Uuuuuhhhhhhhh....
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:57 pm That doesn’t at all change KBABZ’s point.
I agree it doesn't, but I don't think that's what he was trying to say?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:21 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:57 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:56 pm

That doesn’t at all change KBABZ’s point.
I wasn’t trying to change KBABZ’s point? That’s a very bizarre assumption to make, just like your earlier claim that I said something I never actually said. If anything, it reinforces their point that there probably shouldn’t be rape humor in Dragon Ball, because 7 year olds are far more impressionable than 16 year olds.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:05 am

People say that women are treated badly in anime, but what about men in anime? In Naruto for example Sakura is constantly hitting Naruto, even he does nothing wrong or something super minor. Sakura overreacts, attacks and insults anyone she likes, but if anyone gives her one single nickname she doesn’t like she goes wild and attack.
Sakura even attacks kids which is going overboard.

Sakura can do whatever she wants but no consequence.

Basically the message they give is that the male character has to take the abuse.

As for GT the main characters are Goku, Pan and GT Trunks* (except for the Shadow Dragon).

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:30 am

super michael wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:05 am People say that women are treated badly in anime, but what about men in anime? In Naruto for example Sakura is constantly hitting Naruto, even he does nothing wrong or something super minor. Sakura overreacts, attacks and insults anyone she likes, but if anyone gives her one single nickname she doesn’t like she goes wild and attack.

Basically the message they give is that the male character has to take the abuse.

As for GT the main characters are Goku, Pan and GT Trunks* (except for the Shadow Dragon).
Complaining about this double standard when it's typically far worse for women reeks of "whatboutism".

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:37 am

Majin Buu wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:30 am
super michael wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:05 am People say that women are treated badly in anime, but what about men in anime? In Naruto for example Sakura is constantly hitting Naruto, even he does nothing wrong or something super minor. Sakura overreacts, attacks and insults anyone she likes, but if anyone gives her one single nickname she doesn’t like she goes wild and attack.

Complaining about this double standard when it's typically far worse for women reeks of "whatboutism".
Have you watched Naruto? I am not dismissing how women are treated in anime, I am showing how anime treat men also. My point is both can get treated bad.

Women can beat up anyone and there is no consequence at all. Women can beat up kids and there are no consequence at all.
When I used to bring it up in Naruto board, they would say "oh but it just gag".

In DB and DBZ when Master Roshi did something wrong, he would get beaten up.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:47 am

super michael wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:37 am Have you watched Naruto? I am not dismissing how women are treated in anime, I am showing how anime treat men also. My point is both can get treated bad.

Women can beat up anyone and there is no consequence at all. Women can beat up kids and there are no consequence at all.
I've read all of Naruto thank you very much (and it ended up being a colossal waste of time).

This double standard you brought up as a "whataboutism" doesn't change the fact that women generally have it far worse in anime.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:51 am

super michael wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:37 am

Have you watched Naruto? I am not dismissing how women are treated in anime, I am showing how anime treat men also. My point is both can get treated bad.
You're making a false equivalence between sexism towards women and how the men are "treated badly". In doing so, you actually are dismissing how women are treated in anime.

And I wouldn't call it a "double standard", but instead a different standard for two different groups.

I don't think this is going overboard at all.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:59 am

MyVisionity wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:51 am
super michael wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:37 am

You're making a false equivalence between sexism towards women and how the men are "treated badly". In doing so, you actually are dismissing how women are treated in anime.

And I wouldn't call it a "double standard", but instead a different standard for two different groups.

I don't think this is going overboard at all.
How is a grown teenager beating up small kids for petty things not going overboard? If you must know I debated about Sakura a long time ago and I can prove it. Source: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/20 ... o/78612807

I don't see anyone agree with me that Sakura was in the wrong.

Why is it that you believe by mentioning men treated bad by women is that dismissing how women are treated in anime? The only reason I remember is because a random video about Naruto popped up in youtube, while I was searching from random anime to watch.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:05 am

super michael wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:59 am How is a grown teenager beating up small kids for petty things not going overboard? If you must know I debated about Sakura a long time ago and I can prove it. Source: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/20 ... o/78612807

Why is it that you believe by mentioning men treated bad by women is that dismissing how women are treated in anime? The only reason I remember is because a random video about Naruto popped up in youtube, while I was searching from random anime to watch.
Again, you're engaging in "whataboutism" to deflect from the issue at hand: The fact that it's generally far worse for women. For every instance like this you bring up, you can easily find 5-6 at minimum in anime where the woman typically gets the short end of the stick.
MyVisionity wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:51 am And I wouldn't call it a "double standard", but instead a different standard for two different groups.
I see your point. It comes off as a double standard, but there's a reason these different standards for groups exist.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:11 am

Majin Buu wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:05 am
super michael wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:59 am How is a grown teenager beating up small kids for petty things not going overboard? If you must know I debated about Sakura a long time ago and I can prove it. Source: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/20 ... o/78612807

Again, you're engaging in "whataboutism" to deflect from the issue at hand: The fact that it's generally far worse for women. For every instance like this you bring up, you can easily find 5-6 at minimum in anime where the woman typically gets the short end of the stick.
Ok lets cut to the chase, do you think the anime and manga writer of Naruto were wrong in making the male character have to accept being abused by female character?
There are anime that treats female and male character great like Hunter X Hunter and Digimon. There is also Pokemon since every season Ash is always with a female partner. They is also Sonic Underground although I can't remember if that is anime or not.
Lets not forget Yu-Gi-Oh Mai is a great character.

I almost forgot Black Clover, My Hero Academia and Seven Deadly Sins. I am watching Sailor Moon and the female characters are written good.

People actually defends how Sakura treats everyone.
Last edited by super michael on Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:21 am

super michael wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:11 am Ok lets cut to the chase, do you think the anime and manga writer of Naruto were wrong in making the male character have to accept being abused by female character? There are anime that treats female and male character great like Hunter X Hunter and Digimon. There is also Pokemon since every season Ash is always with a female partner. They is also Sonic Underground although I can't remember if that is anime or not.
I think you're trying to deflect from the very real issue this topic is discussing by engaging in "whataboutism". You're trying to make it seem like this issue isn't that big of an issue because "it happens to guys too." You have yet to acknowledge that it's far worse for women and seem to be doing your damndest to avoid doing so in order to downplay this fact.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:25 am

super michael wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:11 am
Majin Buu wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:05 am

Ok lets cut to the chase, do you think the anime and manga writer of Naruto were wrong in making the male character have to accept being abused by female character?
There are anime that treats female and male character great like Hunter X Hunter and Digimon. There is also Pokemon since every season Ash is always with a female partner. They is also Sonic Underground although I can't remember if that is anime or not.
Lets not forget Yu-Gi-Oh Mai is a great character.

I almost forgot Black Clover, My Hero Academia and Seven Deadly Sins. I am watching Sailor Moon and the female characters are written good.

People actually defends how Sakura treats everyone.
Actually and you may not believe it at first this is ALSO misogyny and sexism in action. Kishimoto cant write females very well and they end up horrible harpies because he thinks that is a good way to write women.

And people DO NOT give Sakura any slack. Why do you think she was the least popular character by far in the Naruto manga.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:31 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:25 am Actually and you may not believe it at first this is ALSO misogyny and sexism in action. Kishimoto cant write females very well and they end up horrible harpies because he thinks that is a good way to write women.

And people DO NOT give Sakura any slack. Why do you think she was the least popular character by far in the Naruto manga.
This. So much this. Kishimoto himself has admitted that he can't write women well.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:32 am

Majin Buu wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:21 am
super michael wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:11 am Ok lets cut to the chase, do you think the anime and manga writer of Naruto were wrong in making the male character have to accept being abused by female character? There are anime that treats female and male character great like Hunter X Hunter and Digimon. There is also Pokemon since every season Ash is always with a female partner. They is also Sonic Underground although I can't remember if that is anime or not.
I think you're trying to deflect from the very real issue this topic is discussing by engaging in "whataboutism". You're trying to make it seem like this issue isn't that big of an issue because "it happens to guys too." You have yet to acknowledge that it's far worse for women and seem to be doing your damndest to avoid doing so in order to downplay this fact.
I don't know as much anime as you think, I feel my answer wouldn't be accurate. Here are the anime I have watched:

Digimon
Pokemon
Dragon Ball
Naruto
One Piece
Inuyasha
Yashahime
Card Capture
Sailor Moon
Seven Deadly Sins
Fullmetal Alchemist
Hunter X Hunter

My question on the other hand is simple it is a yes or no question and I gave all the information needed about Sakura from Naruto. I even gave evidence about the discussion about Sakura incase you think I was making it up.
Last edited by super michael on Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.