Dragon Ball 4K Remaster (16mm)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Big Boss
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball 4K Remaster (16mm)

Post by Big Boss » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:06 pm

Lightningexpose wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:22 pm
Big Boss wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:05 pm If Dragon Ball does get a 4k remaster of this caliber (it won't), it's going to incredibly jarring having insanely pristine, beautiful video coupled with the absolutely atrocious audio sources that Toei use. I know the rationale behind Toei throwing out the master audio tapes, but it still makes me so mad. I do wonder if this is part of the reason why they won't bother with it.
Eh i disagree. I've watched a number of remasters with amazing visuals but bad audio and it didn't feel "jarring" to me. In fact the great visuals make you forget the audio is bad if you're watching the show for the show itself rather than watching to inspect the quality.
I think this depends entirely on the source material. While for some movies/TV shows it probably won't be too distracting, especially if the source material is quiet or slow paced, but with Dragon Ball you have so many dynamic elements in the audio that compliment the visuals dramatically; you want impact in the punches, volume and spatial positioning to the iconic sound effects with the energy beams, and depth to the music. Anything less and it feels like I'm not getting the complete experience - it's an inferior product and it's very hard to get that notion out of my mind. Yes, I'm a purist when it comes to preservation of media, but it's all towards my love and the betterment for one of my favorite franchises.

ikaos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ikaos » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:50 pm

Looks like they dropped a scan of the OP.

https://youtu.be/WypdUObDab0

derpytacos

Post by derpytacos » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:04 pm

is it just me or does that audio sound better than normal dbox audio?

ikaos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ikaos » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:31 pm

derpytacos wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:04 pm is it just me or does that audio sound better than normal dbox audio?
It would, since this audio is straight from the print, whereas while the DBOX audio is optical based, it's still compressed to a degree, and likely from an older, more degraded print.

derpytacos

Post by derpytacos » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:34 pm

makes sense toei would mess up even the audio they do have :(

Lightningexpose
Banned

Post by Lightningexpose » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:11 pm

I mean, fans pulling off the first ever native 4K presentation of original Dragon Ball is cool and all...but imma go back to debating about misogyny in a japanese children's cartoon show that ended 20+ years ago. peace.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:52 pm

Did they talk about how they got this scanned? Did they build their own scanner? This is somthing I am very interested in.

Edit: saw this uses to be FUNi's film. Interesting since it seems they have atleast one episode still

derpytacos

Post by derpytacos » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:51 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:52 pm Did they talk about how they got this scanned? Did they build their own scanner? This is somthing I am very interested in.

Edit: saw this uses to be FUNi's film. Interesting since it seems they have atleast one episode still
ask on his twitter, its public. I follow it, got a lot of really cool stuff.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:33 pm

Just passing through to sing the praises of femboys. Truly doing God's Work in all avenues lf life.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:38 pm

I'm providing them with a lot of film reels from my collection including Dr. Slump and non-Toriyama related anime, so there's more coming soon.

Lightningexpose
Banned

Post by Lightningexpose » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:46 pm

kei17 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:38 pm I'm providing them with a lot of film reels from my collection including Dr. Slump and non-Toriyama related anime, so there's more coming soon.
Now that is king-like behavior right there.

What episodes of DB do you have/did you send if you don't mind me asking? You have a Z episode right?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:52 pm

They're a talented bunch. With others, I helped fund the purchase and scans of their upcoming Dragon Ball content. Glad to see everyone coming together.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Lightningexpose
Banned

Post by Lightningexpose » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:56 pm

Ajay wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:52 pm They're a talented bunch. With others, I helped fund the purchase and scans of their upcoming Dragon Ball content. Glad to see everyone coming together.
I can imagine whatever scanning tools were used here must have cost a fortune....this quality doesn't look cheap!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:57 pm

Lightningexpose wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:46 pm
kei17 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:38 pm I'm providing them with a lot of film reels from my collection including Dr. Slump and non-Toriyama related anime, so there's more coming soon.

What episodes of DB do you have/did you send if you don't mind me asking? You have a Z episode right?
Speaking of the TV series, unfortunately it's only DB episode 58. I scanned more episodes myself including one from DBZ, but I borrowed those reels from another person, so they're not included in what I sent to FemboyFilms.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:01 pm

Oh my fuckin' gosh I am comin'.

Jesus Christ, this is gorgeous.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

derpytacos

Post by derpytacos » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:07 pm

And this is just 3rd gen or whatever funi got. If toei wanted they could do even better but fans gotta do it. Hopefully more collectors let them scan their reels

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:18 pm

Man, Those do look Incredible. Definitely would be cool to have all of Dragonball like that. :thumbup:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:29 am

kei17 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:57 pm
Lightningexpose wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:46 pm

Speaking of the TV series, unfortunately it's only DB episode 58. I scanned more episodes myself including one from DBZ, but I borrowed those reels from another person, so they're not included in what I sent to FemboyFilms.

Do you have a plan to try convince Toei releasing DB in HD?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:03 am

Lightningexpose wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:11 pm I mean, fans pulling off the first ever native 4K presentation of original Dragon Ball is cool and all...but imma go back to debating about misogyny in a japanese children's cartoon show that ended 20+ years ago. peace.
Thank you to all the other members for doing the right thing: completely ignoring this bullshit and carrying on.

Popping in to do my job: spare us all, please. Replace "but imma go back to debating about misogyny in a japanese children's cartoon show that ended 20+ years ago" with "but imma go back to debating about imaginary power levels in a japanese children's cartoon show that ended 20+ years ago".

If you don't wanna talk about something, just... like... don't talk about it...?!

Cool, cool. Thanks, everyone!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Lightningexpose
Banned

Post by Lightningexpose » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:41 am

VegettoEX wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:03 am
Lightningexpose wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:11 pm I mean, fans pulling off the first ever native 4K presentation of original Dragon Ball is cool and all...but imma go back to debating about misogyny in a japanese children's cartoon show that ended 20+ years ago. peace.
Thank you to all the other members for doing the right thing: completely ignoring this bullshit and carrying on.

Popping in to do my job: spare us all, please. Replace "but imma go back to debating about misogyny in a japanese children's cartoon show that ended 20+ years ago" with "but imma go back to debating about imaginary power levels in a japanese children's cartoon show that ended 20+ years ago".

If you don't wanna talk about something, just... like... don't talk about it...?!

Cool, cool. Thanks, everyone!
*Raises left eyebrow* huh?

Brother, not sure what you're getting at with the "if you dont wanna talk about something just dont"... I did want to talk about misogyny in a children's cartoon that ended 20+ years ago and so if you check the time stamps...literally right after the post here...I went and spoke about misogyny in a children's cartoon that ended 20+ years ago: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=46001&start=260#p1692940

Anyway, back to the topic...my god look at how good they make 16mm look. Not just that but THIRD GEN 16mm???

I remember AnimeNewsNetwork wrote a whole piece justifying Funimation's DBZ Blu-rays looking bad because they're multigen film prints..... and almost everyone on this forum said Kai is what 16mm looks like... Best thing about this femboy group is how they're owning these so called "experts" left and right. You love to see it.