Dragon Ball 4K Remaster (16mm)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lightningexpose
Banned

Dragon Ball 4K Remaster (16mm)

Post by Lightningexpose » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:09 pm

This is what Dragon Ball would look like with a 4K remaster, for those who think 16mm isn't worth 4K.

DBox: Image

Glad to see Toei are doing it right finally.
Last edited by Lightningexpose on Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball 4K Remaster (16mm)

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:23 pm

Where is this from?

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:59 pm

You don't just get to post something like this and then not give a source.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:59 pm

if they are doing a Blu-ray release (which would be awesome) at least we'll find out quickly if it's censored

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:32 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:59 pm if they are doing a Blu-ray release (which would be awesome) at least we'll find out quickly if it's censored
Censored? As in like Kai or the kinds of edits that were done on the TV airings here back in the day with covering up nudity and digitally painting over stuff?
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:10 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:32 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:59 pm if they are doing a Blu-ray release (which would be awesome) at least we'll find out quickly if it's censored
Censored? As in like Kai or the kinds of edits that were done on the TV airings here back in the day with covering up nudity and digitally painting over stuff?
mostly the fact they censored middle fingers in the home release of the films. Image (as well as the censorship in kai, tho I expect more censorship along the lines of the movies).

derpytacos

Post by derpytacos » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:37 pm

This is what that femboy group posted on twitter right?

Ether way 16mm full frame tends to top out at 3kish doesnt it? Why would anyone think 1080p/2k would be where to stop film scanning with that knowledge? Ether way I hope we get to see these. They look so much better than any other db/z/gt screenshot I've seen.

Edit: yes it appears to be them

https://twitter.com/FemboyFilms/status/ ... 63234?s=20

They do great work on 4k restoration on other stuff based on their screenshots.
Last edited by derpytacos on Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:43 pm

More info and context, please.

Venny

Post by Venny » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:11 pm

derpytacos wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:37 pm This is what that femboy group posted on twitter right?

Ether way 16mm full frame tends to top out at 3kish doesnt it? Why would anyone think 1080p/2k would be where to stop film scanning with that knowledge? Ether way I hope we get to see these. They look so much better than any other db/z/gt screenshot I've seen.

Edit: yes it appears to be them

https://twitter.com/FemboyFilms/status/ ... 63234?s=20

They do great work on 4k restoration on other stuff based on their screenshots.
Thanks for crediting them! Don't know why Lightning is trying to say this is Toei's remaster lol

Lightningexpose
Banned

Post by Lightningexpose » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:11 pm

Huh, yeah that was the tweet I saw but after seeing the 35th anniversary message I assumed it was a new 35th anniversary blu-ray, my bad.

But hmm...so some femboys out there got a hold of DB 16mm film? They haven't claimed in the tweet it's their film or scan so idk.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:52 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:10 pm
mostly the fact they censored middle fingers in the home release of the films. Image (as well as the censorship in kai, tho I expect more censorship along the lines of the movies).
True, though i don't know if Toei would actually do so. I mean, there's no bird flipping in OG DB at least i don't think there is. Don't know if they would extend the censoring to the shows as well, yeah there was Kai but given what that was i can see why the editing was done there. The original three animes OTOH....now that is a different story altogether because the movies are the only case of this being done up to now. Don't know if they would go and do the same type of paint editing like FUNi did back in the '90s on the TV edits of the episodes.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:59 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:52 pm

mostly the fact they censored middle fingers in the home release of the films.
(as well as the censorship in kai, tho I expect more censorship along the lines of the movies).
True, though i don't know if Toei would actually do so. I mean, there's no bird flipping in OG DB at least i don't think there is. Don't know if they would extent the censoring to the shows as well, yeah there was Kai but given what that was i can see why the editing was done there. The original three animes OTOH....now that is a different story altogether because the movies are the only case of this being done up to now. Don't know if they would go and do the same type of paint editing like FUNi did back in the '90s on the TV edits of the episodes,
This is the only one I can think of

I don't know how extensive they'd do it (if they were to do so). But even with just the movies, it's enough for me to be fine with what I have.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:04 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:59 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:52 pm

mostly the fact they censored middle fingers in the home release of the films.
(as well as the censorship in kai, tho I expect more censorship along the lines of the movies).
True, though i don't know if Toei would actually do so. I mean, there's no bird flipping in OG DB at least i don't think there is. Don't know if they would extent the censoring to the shows as well, yeah there was Kai but given what that was i can see why the editing was done there. The original three animes OTOH....now that is a different story altogether because the movies are the only case of this being done up to now. Don't know if they would go and do the same type of paint editing like FUNi did back in the '90s on the TV edits of the episodes,
This is the only one I can think of

I don't know how extensive they'd do it (if they were to do so). But even with just the movies, it's enough for me to be fine with what I have.
Yes, that's like the only middle finger i know of in the entire original series but even then i don't really see them going the full on edit route like what was done with the movie Blu-rays or Kai for those times when it happens. Don't know if they even really find it worth doing in general since they haven't touched any of the three series in that form up to this point.

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:21 am

More reason for me to love femboys.
We the ones

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trachta10 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:08 pm

my attempt to correct the colors

Lightningexpose
Banned

Post by Lightningexpose » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:51 pm

So I got more information from the group behind it and they said they've tried out various scanning methods, from varying exposure levels for best dynamic range as well as messing around with autofocus vs manual focus etc so they are making sure to get the best PQ possible.

I got another example and my god I am blown away...

The previous images are with the autofocus of the scanner and this is with some kind of manual focus adjustments and holy shit it looks almost like 35mm!!! There apparently isn't color correction done yet, just a one-pass adjustment to the whole episode. But my god, if we get the whole series like this, this will be the best remaster of all time!

Arteaga4K
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Arteaga4K » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:04 pm

Never understood the notion of "there's no point in a 4K remaster".

16mm could scan to 4K easily, and with 4K tvs becoming very well more mainstream now than even 5 years ago there's all the more reason for a 4K remaster. Only problem lies within Toei and FUNimation and their lack of motivation to do a proper remaster with effort.
Personal Top 5 Anime List
1. Attack on Titan
2. Code Geass
3. Hunter x Hunter (2011)
4. Yu Yu Hakusho
5. Dragon Ball/DBZ

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:05 pm

If Dragon Ball does get a 4k remaster of this caliber (it won't), it's going to incredibly jarring having insanely pristine, beautiful video coupled with the absolutely atrocious audio sources that Toei use. I know the rationale behind Toei throwing out the master audio tapes, but it still makes me so mad. I do wonder if this is part of the reason why they won't bother with it.

Lightningexpose
Banned

Post by Lightningexpose » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:22 pm

Big Boss wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:05 pm If Dragon Ball does get a 4k remaster of this caliber (it won't), it's going to incredibly jarring having insanely pristine, beautiful video coupled with the absolutely atrocious audio sources that Toei use. I know the rationale behind Toei throwing out the master audio tapes, but it still makes me so mad. I do wonder if this is part of the reason why they won't bother with it.
Eh i disagree. I've watched a number of remasters with amazing visuals but bad audio and it didn't feel "jarring" to me. In fact the great visuals make you forget the audio is bad if you're watching the show for the show itself rather than watching to inspect the quality.

If you want an example, Toei's Blu-ray for the 90s Dragon Quest anime from last year. It's a toei show so bad audio. But the visuals are amazing and for me the audio didn't hurt my experience. (Also that should answer your wondering on whether the audio is why toei wouldn't bother with a Blu-ray--they would.)

The truth is, higher quality audio sources still probably exist in official hands somewhere and they just don't know. Whether this be Toei still possessing some intermediary tapes containing high quality audio, or some tv station(s) vaulting away old broadcast tapes. It's entirely possible...Toei just hasn't bothered to hunt it down most likely.
Last edited by Lightningexpose on Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:24 pm

Big Boss wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:05 pm If Dragon Ball does get a 4k remaster of this caliber (it won't), it's going to incredibly jarring having insanely pristine, beautiful video coupled with the absolutely atrocious audio sources that Toei use. I know the rationale behind Toei throwing out the master audio tapes, but it still makes me so mad. I do wonder if this is part of the reason why they won't bother with it.
I wish Toei had the foresight back then to preserve the original master audio tapes, though their disposal (aside from GT) came from them not really having a long term plan or even anticipation for releasing long running anime shows on home video until quite a ways later and apparently storage issues as well. At that point, there were only a select few big name animes available out there in pricey VHS and Laserdisc sets plus the original Dragon Ball anime run came at a time where doing something release wise for a series that is well over a hundred episodes combined not including the movies and specials just wasn't feasible so it took until after DVD was introduced for the series to get a full (albeit still quite pricey) home release in Japan.