Hong Kong Comics Inspired Dragon Ball? - An in-depth debunk of the popular theory

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Hong Kong Comics Inspired Dragon Ball? - An in-depth debunk of the popular theory

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:27 am

https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/his ... agon-ball/
A small tidbit of an exhaustive and extensive look of how incorrect the theory is in reality.
While I’ve only addressed Hong Kong comics in particular here, the root of Kunzait_83’s argument that Dragon Ball is intended to be a wǔxiá series is also flawed. Not because it’s 100% wrong, but because Dragon Ball is a combination of countless different influences, and kung fu movies is only one of them, with wǔxiá being a subset of those films. You can argue that it’s a kung fu inspired series, for sure, but not that Toriyama intended it to be a wǔxiá series. The similarities are mostly by happenstance as he made the story up week to week. In part, through his subconscious sublimation of countless tropes and character archetypes as a result of watching thousands of hours of these films as he drew each chapter.
It's by creator of Dao of Dragonball, Derek Padula who is an author. Was quite impressed with this read and recommend it to those who'd like to know more about the conception of this series.
We the ones

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Re: Hong Kong Comics Inspired Dragon Ball? - An in-depth debunk of the popular theory

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:56 am

Pop culture influence can expand internationally. Just look at The Terminator movies in the Cell Saga or the Universal Monsters at the end of the Red Ribbon arc. I'm sure there are elements of Chinese media influencing Dragon Ball but I wouldn't say it is the only inspiration.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Re: Hong Kong Comics Inspired Dragon Ball? - An in-depth debunk of the popular theory

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:05 am

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:27 am
While I’ve only addressed Hong Kong comics in particular here, the root of Kunzait_83’s argument that Dragon Ball is intended to be a wǔxiá series is also flawed. Not because it’s 100% wrong, but because Dragon Ball is a combination of countless different influences, and kung fu movies is only one of them, with wǔxiá being a subset of those films. You can argue that it’s a kung fu inspired series, for sure, but not that Toriyama intended it to be a wǔxiá series. The similarities are mostly by happenstance as he made the story up week to week. In part, through his subconscious sublimation of countless tropes and character archetypes as a result of watching thousands of hours of these films as he drew each chapter.
Since I was specifically named in that above quote, I'd like to note that at no point have I ever once made the claim that Dragon Ball took influence "solely" from Wuxia. Obviously the series has numerous cross-cultural influences, including Western ones. Hell, I've even gone into exhaustive depth about how Wuxia ITSELF as a genre (even totally divorced from Dragon Ball) had eventually gone on to incorporate cross-cultural, Western influences throughout its modern day evolution (well long before DB itself ever came along in fact).

What I HAVE said though is that Wuxia encompasses the most fundamentally important backbone of DB's overall creative DNA. I singled it out as the most IMPORTANT and central of its influences, but hardly anywhere close to its ONLY one.

For that matter (and its annoying that I keep having to repeatedly restate this, especially for well-read people like Padula) I also have never made the claim, nor even once inferred, that Toriyama was some sort of scholarly expert on Wuxia nor that he set out to make Dragon Ball with the specific and purposeful aim of making some highfalutin' statement on the genre.

What I HAVE said is that the tropes and themes of Wuxia are SO pervasive and widespread across much of East Asian culture, that someone like Toriyama can easily craft a Wuxia story without knowing a great deal of in-depth scholarly analysis about it, PURELY from cultural osmosis. Much like how an American who's never once watched a classic Western film nor knows anything about the genre's history or cultural roots on any kind of well-read level can very easily still write a competent enough and even reasonably authentic Western story purely through how deeply ingrained the genre's most important and fundamental tropes are, and have long been, in our culture's national psyche.

Because I'm a fucking dork, I actually have done my share of in-depth, analytical reading and study on Wuxia as a genre and its cultural roots and history, and the whole point of my sharing it with you guys on here back in 2015 was because A) this shit is critically important to Dragon Ball's creative DNA, regardless of how consciously, deeply knowledgeable of it on a literary level Toriyama is or was, and also because B) almost NO ONE that posts on here or contributes to this site or broader community for much of the past 20 someodd years now (post-FUNimation dub and Cartoon Network boom in popularity across the American mainstream at least) seemed to even be aware of the very EXISTENCE of this genre in even the most basic, and cursory fashion.

Thus, it was necessary to describe and outline the ENTIRE genre's basic fundamentals and history - which are absurdly dense and long, seeing as how its literally thousands of years old at this point, and when taken in its totality ranks as certainly among the oldest genres of fantasy storytelling in human history (and note while the NAME Wuxia is only about a couple hundred years old or so, the GENRE ITSELF is far, far, FAR older than that) - for an audience here who was aware of pretty much NONE of it, on ANY kind of conscious or unconscious level. Thus the absurd denseness of the original thread I made for it on here: most people here didn't know shit about any of this, so I had to start quite literally from scratch in my rundown of even just its basics.

The problem with rebuttals like Padula's (and that of a few other folks that I don't want to bother naming, because I don't have the patience or inclination to get into dumb internet beefs over this stuff) is that they rest on incredibly silly and blatantly not true assumptions about the central thesis of my statements on DB and Wuxia: that because I wrote so much detailed analysis of a foreign, unfamiliar genre (to this audience anyway) with a funny-sounding, weirdly spelled name, that must mean that I am inferring that Toriyama was some kind of literary and scholarly genius on the subject of Wuxia, and that I'm trying to project all this dense, pretentious artiness onto what is fundamentally a dumb, silly children's comic/cartoon. And no, I am not extrapolating that conclusion: I've had several notable people in this community state as much about my writing on this topic fairly blatantly.

The reality of course is that I've neither said nor inferred ANY of this at ANY time in a single one of my posts on the matter, and in fact have repeatedly stressed quite the opposite in fact.

The reality is that Wuxia is an INCREDIBLY mainstream, populist, and crowdpleasing genre in its native Asian territories (much like superhero films and Hollywood blockbusters are over in our neck of the woods), whose entire history of content spans everywhere from high, middle, and low brow examples... with Dragon Ball quite clearly embodying the latter-most of those three. Like an American who might try to write a Cowboy or Vampire or Warewolf story for children despite probably not knowing a great deal about those genres on any kind of academic level, Toriyama is a nerdy pop culture junkie who mainlined a whole ton of Asian media throughout his life... among them including obviously a great deal of martial arts (of both a grounded/traditional and Wuxia/fantasy variety) movies, shows, what have you.

Thus, from the osmosis stew of his own native culture came Dragon Ball, which drew primarily upon Journey to the West, Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee films, the Shaw and Harvest canon, and other assorted martial arts and Wuxia-heavy material... alongside a ton of other stuff like Terminator, Cinderella, and various other Western action and sci fi films of the day. No deeply-read academic knowledge of ANY kind required here whatsoever... just an abiding love of broad, silly, cheesy genre movies and TV.

The problem is what is culturally ingrained and deeply entrenched in the broad, mainstream, collective subconscious of one culture on one end of the globe will sometimes (as it certainly is here) be totally alien, foreign, and unknown entirely to another culture on the other side of the globe. Unfamiliarity breeds exoticism, which carries with it (for some folks anyway) an air of high minded pretentiousness, regardless of whether or not any sort of high minded pretentiousness is in fact actually present in the first place. Hell, Japanese anime itself as a broader medium is no stranger to this whatsoever here in the U.S., especially during the earlier periods of its crossover onto our shores.

And clearly with Dragon Ball, high minded pretentions are very much NOT a factor, as it certainly isn't with a tremendously large amount of Wuxia content that's been out there well long before, during, and well long after Dragon Ball came and made its mark.

tldr: Just because I wrote a lot of incredibly detailed, in-depth writings on the scope and history of Wuxia as a genre does NOT mean that Toriyama has nor that he even needed to have a similarly encyclopedic breadth of knowledge on the genre, given his cultural surroundings, in order to write a story like DB, that is primarily Wuxia at its core (i.e. martial arts fantasy fiction heavily steeped in Chinese Daoist mysticism) first and foremost above all else... alongside a gigantic stew of other contemporary influences as he pulled this shit out of his ass week to week for 11 years straight.

My writing in a lot depth about Wuxia does NOT mean that I therefore think or claim that either Toriyama is a fountain of academic, scholarly knowledge on the subject, nor that the series is infused with far more depth than it is, nor that all of DB's OTHER myriad of genre influences are somehow NOT there or are somehow NOT important in any way.

NONE of that is true, and at no point have I ever once even came CLOSE to making those claims.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:54 pm

Where is anyone saying that comics from Hong Kong inspired DB? Definitely wasn't an assertion that I picked up on anywhere in that Wuxia Thread (or by Kunzait in any conversation I've had with him). Seems like a misreading that was taken (rather productively!) far.

Either way, when asking "what is this work's genre?", one is simply asking "what works does it resemble and/or imitate?", or "where can I go for a similar experience?" Which can be resolved through rather basic observation, comparison, and knowledge of other works. It's like "comparative anatomy" in Biology in order to trace relations and descent. People might be mincing too many words over what the "proper name" might really be for whatever family of works we speak of when we mention DB and its antecedents.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:32 pm

I definitely appreciated Kunzait's original Wuxia thread. I rented a bunch of martial arts films from my library and local video stores growing up so I was familiar with the genre, though I had no idea that it originated hundreds of years ago.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:31 am

Well it's all in that post anyway. The claims Kunzait made were debunked. I suggest reading the full article.
We the ones

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:33 am

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:31 am Well it's all in that post anyway. The claims Kunzait made were debunked. I suggest reading the full article.
Mr. Padula debunked claims Kunzait never made.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:46 am

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:31 am Well it's all in that post anyway. The claims Kunzait made were debunked. I suggest reading the full article.
I read the entire article and most of his points are incredibly pedantic misreadings of Kunzait's entire "argument."
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:47 am

Yuli Ban wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:33 am
Kunzait claimed it was a wuxia branded series. Also aren't you familiar with Kunzait on a personal level? Might be a bit biased haha.
jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:46 am
I read the entire article and most of his points are incredibly pedantic misreadings of Kunzait's entire "argument."
Got any references?
We the ones

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:55 am

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:47 am
Yuli Ban wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:33 am
Kunzait claimed it was a wuxia branded series. Also aren't you familiar with Kunzait on a personal level? Might be a bit biased haha.
jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:46 am
Got any references?
I mean, you can read Kunzait's very own post in this very thread to get the gist of what he's been trying to say to begin with but things like this:
However, most of the plots are different, and involve Chinese heroes fighting against evil Japanese organizations, or they involve fight after fight with little comedy or Dragon Ball style escalation. Above all, no science fiction and fusion-style writing like we find in Toriyama’s masterpiece. So Toriyama certainly wasn’t emulating their writing style.
And this comes after acknowledging the litany of similarities, right down to iconography, and breaking down exactly how these comics would get in Toriyama's hands...but because the plot styles doesn't exactly line up, it's not influenced by it? As Peter Griffin would say, shallow & pedantic.

Just because Dragon Ball might do things in a different style or mix in other genres doesn't mean it doesn't also exist under a broader umbrella, too. Like Kunzait said his own self, you can brand DB as a Wuxia series just by how much Wuxia is baked into a lot of the things that we know DID influence Toriyama. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it sure as hell is a bird like creature with a bill and webbed feet who quacks even if the creator was just slapping parts together at random.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:58 am

The quote in the OP already commented on that claim. You can't call it a "wuxia" series cause not only is it heavily unlikely Toriyama was inspired by it, but just from the fact that Dragon Ball is inspired by many things. At best you can call it a Kung Fu series.
We the ones

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:06 am

No where did Kunzait ever claim Dragon Ball was inspired by Hong Kong comics just that Dragon Ball’s specific genre can fall under wuxia. He goes at lengths to explain how Dragon Ball can’t be inspired by Hong Kong comics. He’s giving a rebuttal to an argument that was never made in the first place.

I don’t know the ends and outs of the wuxia genre but when the argument amounts to “Dragon Ball can’t be wuxia because I’ve explained in great detail how it can’t take inspiration from Hong Kong comics”

That’s...just huh.....what?

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:58 am At best you can call it a Kung Fu series.
Calling it a kung fu or martial arts series would be, the bare minimum correct term for Dragon Ball’s genre.

If wuxia isn’t the right term to describe Dragon Ball’s genre “martial arts series” definitely is.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:19 am

Thanks for sharing my article here. I enjoy seeing a lively conversation about something I wrote, even when it's 5 years old.

I have no problem with Kunzait's argument about Wuxia inspiring Dragon Ball, nor with anything he's said in this thread. I'm impressed by his breadth of knowledge and ability to show parallels between Wuxia and Dragon Ball. I will not hesitate to admit he knows more about Wuxia then I do. I think I said as much in a reply back in 2016 to his original post.

I was unaware that people have been giving Kunzait a hard time. I'm sorry if my article had something to do with that. It wasn't my intent. Please don't conflate what I wrote with what other people have written. We're all Dragon Ball fans, so let's enjoy the series together. Given our shared interest in cinema and culture, there's a lot we can enjoy about it.

There are two topics here to debate. One is that 'Dragon Ball is inspired by Wuxia.' The other is that 'Hong Kong comics of the Wuxia genre inspired Dragon Ball.' My article being discussed here was about the first topic in general and the second topic in particular.

If I have to summarize my own article, it's to say that there's no concrete proof from anyone who worked on the Dragon Ball manga that it was inspired by Wuxia. Nobody has ever spoken on the subject or acknowledged its influence. That doesn't mean Toriyama wasn't inspired by Wuxia films, because he could have been, as he's a massive cinephile. Nor that the anime staff weren't inspired by Wuxia films, because we can draw parallels to show they were, such as with Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain inspiring Shura's appearance in Dragon Ball episode 81. But showing the two images side by side as proof only goes so far because no one involved in Dragon Ball's creation has acknowledged the similarity. And again, it's a specific example in anime filler, written by someone other than Toriyama.

The goal of my article wasn't to debunk Kunzait's argument, but rather to dig into the subject matter and discuss whether or not it was a direct source of inspiration. Kunzait wrote such an interesting and thorough piece that I felt gobsmacked by the fact I had hesitated to dedicate time to write my own article on the subject prior to reading his. So he inspired me to dive into it. I hope that people don't perceive what I wrote as a counter-argument or tit-for-tat against him. My article wouldn't exist without his work.

Regarding Hong Kong comics inspiring Dragon Ball, the reason I focused on that is because Kunzait gave numerous examples of such comics in his original article, and it was a specific subject that had a narrower focus than Wuxia at large. And this focus was still huge in scope. In addition to my own research, I asked Viz, Shueisha, Toriyama's editor, and professors in East Asia about it, and while only the professors responded, they said that no, Toriyama would not have been inspired by Hong Kong comics. They said there was no cultural flow of Hong Kong comics into Japan. Only from Japan into Hong Kong. I have to defer to the comic book professors on that one. So you can place the visual similarities side-by-side, and I will acknowledge they are striking similarities, but I need confirmation from someone in Japan that they influenced Dragon Ball before I can call this theory more than a theory.

There's nothing wrong with stating a theory. I often state theories in my books when we as fans have a lack of evidence on a particular topic. But it's important to make a distinction between a theory and a fact with verifiable evidence, such as a quote from Toriyama.

If Wuxia films or comics were a direct source of inspiration, then we have to ask why nobody at Shueisha or Toei has ever acknowledged it, including Toriyama? And that's where you get into a lack of evidence, which leads to conjecture.

Regarding Dragon Ball's genre, I explore that topic in detail in this article:

https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/que ... agon-ball/

To summarize this article, Dragon Ball is multiple genres at once. It's not just adventure, fantasy, sci-fi, action, comedy, 'shōnen,' or Wuxia, but multiple genres at once depending on which portion of the story you examine. It changes from one arc to the next. So as a whole there's no way to define Dragon Ball as any one genre. To coin a phrase, Dragon Ball is what I call a 'Fusion Manga.'

Therefore, you cannot say that "Dragon Ball is the Wuxia genre" or "Dragon Ball is a Wuxia story." And as Kunzait pointed out here once again, he never said that it is. It's fine if you feel that a particular arc, or the entire series, is more of a Wuxia genre than a comedy genre, or whatever other genre, but it's not just Wuxia, in the same way that it's not just fantasy.

So I'm not sure what more there is to debate. At this time we don't have the information we need to come to a definitive conclusion on the matter.

I didn't even realize people were still discussing this topic. It wasn't that popular of an article on my site, and discussion on Kanz died down shortly after it came out. I reckon it's a bit too scholarly a subject for most fans (like most of my work). And as Kunzait mentioned, most fans lack knowledge of Wuxia to begin with. But please fill me in if there's something I missed.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:49 am

Thank you for clarifying your point.

Well, there is ONE thing you missed that Kunzait also missed (and I believe he acknowledged this nuance): not only is the term "wuxia/bukyo" not well known in Japan to begin with, but to be TOTALLY fair... Dragon Ball technically WOULDN'T be considered "wuxia" in the most classical terms because there's an entirely different term that's come to prominence that takes its place. And because it only came to prominence in the previous few decades, we have an interesting issue where it's more a case of a subgenre retroactively being applied than anything, sort of like various Romantic-era novels being retroactively described as "Westerns" or various mythological tales being retroactively described as "high fantasy": that is, Xuanhuan (玄幻 xuánhuàn) – literally means “Mysterious Fantasy”. The gist being that these tales remix Chinese folklore/mythology with foreign elements & settings, such as elements from American or Japanese fiction. They're very similar to Xianxia stories ("Immortal Hero") but without the central root of the protagonist seeking immortality.

A genre of fiction of mysterious superhuman martial artists, rooted in wuxia/classical Chinese mythology but remixed with foreign elements— doesn't that sound suspiciously familiar?
But again, the term is not well known in the West and presumably far less so in japan, where it'd undoubtedly just be considered "martial arts fantasy." But it is representative of the evolution of media and our discussions of it, and I do think that at some point in the future, we'll recognize various shonen and seinen works including Dragon Ball as being of this genre. Not intentionally by name, but certainly that's what they became. Sort of like bands playing a sound that eventually becomes a named genre.

It all stems back to our messy and deeply incomplete comprehension of East Asian pop culture. Heck, I'm sure someone from the Sinosphere would probably seethe and some BS in my own post right here.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.