Who should succeed Masako Nozawa?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Who should succeed Masako Nozawa?

Post by pepd » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:00 pm

Gokuu's voice is not just Nosawa's, is Gokuu's. I would understand if they don't force an impression, but it should at least be close to Gokuu's voice.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:36 pm If you're going to produce a story for Dragon Ball or any property, it should at least, like, ostensibly resemble the thing. Why go to the trouble of making some stupid "High School AU" of Dragon Ball when that money and production work can go to an original property that stands out on his own?

Goddamn, what is with this thing of people wanting Dragon Ball to be anything BUT Dragon Ball?! Watch something else!
It's easier to write, you can't identify or like core aspects of it, or to use it's public.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:42 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:36 pm If you're going to produce a story for Dragon Ball or any property, it should at least, like, ostensibly resemble the thing. Why go to the trouble of making some stupid "High School AU" of Dragon Ball when that money and production work can go to an original property that stands out on his own?
The High School gang wars story was in response to a thread about creating a potential new American version of Dragon Ball, not more Japanese Dragon Ball. And it does resemble Dragon Ball.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:07 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:38 pm
Aim wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:59 pm Even so, it’s just nonsensical to make Goku sound so radically different when his voice suits him so much.
But that doesn't inherently rules out over voices as being equally to suit the character. Just because you can achive (4) with (2+2) doesn't mean it is the only correct way.
If Toriyama approved I’d be okay with it, but only if he didn’t choose someone very inappropriate for the role.

I personally think there’s a huge touch and spark in DB that if changed you remove the feel from the author, being Toriyama.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:48 am

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:35 pm
Aim wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:36 pm
The sky's the limit for ideas. Off the top of my head, Goku and the team are high-schoolers who fight rival martial arts gangs in the neighborhood. Goku can transform into a giant ape which aids him in these battles. Eventually, these gang wars throughout the city/countryside catch the attention of a twenty-something Bulma, Capsule Corp president and genius who herself is embroiled in a corporate thriller plot involving rival business leaders etc. etc. And that's just off the dome, imagine what invested writers could come up with.
Or you end up with shit like this.
Sounds like a pretty fucking great idea to me.
Yeah if I had the money I'd pay to see it

And as for my two cents on the topic, possibly Michihiko Hagi or that Masako Nozawa impersonator should succeed her. Either that, put the series on hiatus when she dies, or end the series.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:37 pm

I think the actress who did Edward Elric in FMAB would be a good fit.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:42 pm

I would laugh so damn hard if fricking Mayumi Tanaka will end up succeeding Masako Nozawa.
Yuji wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:37 pm I think the actress who did Edward Elric in FMAB would be a good fit.
I watched the first handful of episodes of FMA:B, and I was impressed at how Romi Park sounded similar to Masako.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:37 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:42 pm I would laugh so damn hard if fricking Mayumi Tanaka will end up succeeding Masako Nozawa.
I used to think the same thing! One time I was imagining if my DB fan series was an official series, and the main character was voiced by Mayumi Tanaka because she sounds similar to Nozawa :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:20 pm

When it's Masako's time it might be time to soft reboot Dragonball. Pan, Uub and Bra could take center stage or even something like a Grandpa Goten scenario.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:27 am

God I hate it when people use these sort of threads to do posts like miguelnuva's. Its disrespectful and almost gravedancing at that.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:09 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:27 am God I hate it when people use these sort of threads to do posts like miguelnuva's. Its disrespectful and almost gravedancing at that.
How is it "disrespectful"? Sure, the idea of Dragon Ball moving past Goku is controversial, but there is nothing disrespectful or offensive about it...

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:26 am

It most certainly is in a thread like this, if they want they can make another thread for his little fanfic tier reboot, not make in this thread.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:33 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:26 am It most certainly is in a thread like this, if they want they can make another thread for his little fanfic tier reboot, not make in this thread.
The direction the producers of Dragon Ball might take after the MC's VA passes away is actually relevant to this thread. Don't act like a pearl-clutcher.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:56 am

I dont care if you call me names, its wrong.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:13 pm

The weird obsession people have with talking about and predicting a human being's death is really off-putting. She's an actress, not some threat to people. We can do without speculating about her health.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:56 pm

The whole premise of the thread is based on the fact that at some point she is going to be replaced either because the yelling finally becomes too strenuous for her or she does end up passing away, I mean the woman is 85 years old albeit pretty healthy looking for someone her age.

On Topic : She's been voicing Goku long enough that anything that sounds too different would just be distracting more than anything else, so I think someone who sounds enough like her but brings their own little twist to it is just fine.

I think Tim Daily and George Newbern as respective Superman voice actors is a solid comparison :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HilkbU32tc
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:04 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:13 pm The weird obsession people have with talking about and predicting a human being's death is really off-putting. She's an actress, not some threat to people. We can do without speculating about her health.
Everyone is going to die. No one here is predicting she will die next year or some exact date. The point of this thread is to speculate what will happen after her inevitable passing.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:34 pm

Hopefully none of that "RIP" shit. Enough already, damn.

Anyway, yeah a total reboot if not remake would be more appropriate at that point.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:41 pm

Where the fuck are you guys getting this idea that they'll "reboot" just because their lead VA passed away? Give examples of that ever happening.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:43 pm

I feel like the death of Nozawa should mark the end of animated Dragon Ball. Nozawa's so synonymous with the franchise, that I feel like anyone else replacing her would be inappropriate. Of course, this is only my opinion; disagree if you want.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:45 pm

Absolutely not to a reboot. I mean no disrespect to the legendary Masako Nozawa, but the franchise is bigger than one actor (for the sake of the franchise itself, not in terms of life in general). If the franchise is to continue, I'd rather have new stories. I'd be just as fine if it ended, as well, although I feel it should end moreso because the people developing it are ready for it to end. And if we're rebooting, doesn't that mean Goku is getting recast anyway? I don't see the point that serves.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.