Who should succeed Masako Nozawa?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Re: Who should succeed Masako Nozawa?

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:38 pm

I mean if she's still doing it all, then I mean good on her.

But yeah, no doubt Toei has a stable of younger understudies that can take the reigns from her when she separates from DB.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:39 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:15 am Rika Matsumoto. The only other actress I'd could see is Romi Park.
Matsumoto already is playing her own version of Goku, honestly. She doesn't do many other roles besides Satoshi, I simply can't see a situation where she does both characters.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:22 pm

RoarkVegeta wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:39 pm
8000 Saiyan wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:15 am Rika Matsumoto. The only other actress I'd could see is Romi Park.
Matsumoto already is playing her own version of Goku, honestly. She doesn't do many other roles besides Satoshi, I simply can't see a situation where she does both characters.
Sanpei Yuuko does Boruto and Taichi from Digimon now, it's not unheard of to have someone doing two major roles at once.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:26 pm

We seem to get threads like this a lot. I’m not well versed in Japanese voice actors, but I would assume they’d obviously try to get someone who could sound like Masako Nozawa. She’s been the one and only Japanese voice for Goku, and her performance defines the character for many people. The problem is that she has a pretty unique voice that I imagine is hard to imitate, so I don’t know how well that would work out.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:49 pm

I also think Romi Park would be excellent in the role of Goku, though somehow Gohan and Goten might be tougher for her. I'm open to multiple performers stepping up for all three.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:56 pm

minami takayama could be a pretty good goten, hell i think she could be a good trunks as well.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:27 am

I don't know how accurate this is, but there was a rumor back in 2012-2013 that Toei wanted to recast her in BOG but Toriyama was against the idea.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:41 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:27 am I don't know how accurate this is, but there was a rumor back in 2012-2013 that Toei wanted to recast her in BOG but Toriyama was against the idea.
I've heard that rumor as well. Honestly, recasting her at that time wouldn't have been the worst idea.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:52 am

Jord wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:41 am
Matches Malone wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:27 am I don't know how accurate this is, but there was a rumor back in 2012-2013 that Toei wanted to recast her in BOG but Toriyama was against the idea.
I've heard that rumor as well. Honestly, recasting her at that time wouldn't have been the worst idea.
Maybe the thought of recasting Nozawa had crossed their minds at some point while Battle of Gods was in production, but maybe Toriyama did prevent it somehow as being the series creator he'd have some degree of say or influence regarding aspects of the franchise, given it was he himself who had selected her when the anime was casting the characters back in late 1985/early 1986 leading up to the series debut. Or just convinced them to keep her as Goku plus Gohan and Goten for as long as she's still got the energy in her to do all of them.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:02 pm

Yeah, Toriyama has said before that he can't separate Goku from Nozawa, so even if TOEI considered recasting it wouldn't have come to pass as they'd respect his wishes.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:02 pm

If she has to be replaced, Toriyama will apparently have his word to say about it (if not the final decision) if we judge by what happened with BOG.

When Toei was about to replace her, they did make Toriyama listen to various auditions to give his opinion (and perhaps make the final decision) about Goku's new voice.
Perhaps it was to just replace her form the get-go, or perhaps it was just as a safety measure in case she proved to be too tired for the role during the recording sessions...

But anyway, it did tell us about how Toei will likely go to Toriyama to choose the new voice for Goku, and perhaps new voices for Gohan and Goten as well if they use different actors.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:13 pm

I can only think of famous seiyuus:

- Rie Kugemiya (Kagura, Alphonse Elric, Happy)
- Yuu Kobayashi (Sarutobi Ayame, Nagi Ichinose)
- Megumi Ogata (Shinji Ikari, Yugi Moto)
- Mami Koyama (Arale Norimaki)
- Haruka Tomatsu (Ranmaru Rindo, Killer Queen)
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:07 am

People have been asking this question for years now, but the fact of the matter is that Nozawa shows no signs of her health deteriorating and won't be leaving us anytime soon. Honestly with her health, happiness, and how good Japanese health care is, she might outlive all of us.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:58 am

BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:07 am People have been asking this question for years now, but the fact of the matter is that Nozawa shows no signs of her health deteriorating and won't be leaving us anytime soon. Honestly with her health, happiness, and how good Japanese health care is, she might outlive all of us.
It's not a matter of her health going down, but rather her possibly wanting to retire and just spend time with her family and friends.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:03 am

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:58 am
BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:07 am People have been asking this question for years now, but the fact of the matter is that Nozawa shows no signs of her health deteriorating and won't be leaving us anytime soon. Honestly with her health, happiness, and how good Japanese health care is, she might outlive all of us.
It's not a matter of her health going down, but rather her possibly wanting to retire and just spend time with her family and friends.
Fair Point, but Nozawa said she doesn't want to retire playing Goku until "[she's] 110." So I don't think she'll ever retire, being Goku makes her too happy to quit.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:09 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:13 pm I can only think of famous seiyuus:

- Rie Kugemiya (Kagura, Alphonse Elric, Happy)
- Yuu Kobayashi (Sarutobi Ayame, Nagi Ichinose)
- Megumi Ogata (Shinji Ikari, Yugi Moto)
- Mami Koyama (Arale Norimaki)
- Haruka Tomatsu (Ranmaru Rindo, Killer Queen)
I wonder how megumi ogata would do as goku. Given her range it would be quite interesting.

I mean she’s also done

- Kurama (Yu Yu Hakusho)
- Makoto Naegi/Nagito Komaeda (Danganronpa)
- Tier Harribel (Bleach)

And a few others apparently she voiced x in the first mega man x
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:08 pm

from the roles i've heard from her, i don't really know if she could totally play off the "dumb" part of goku, which is why i think she would be a better gohan. a lot of her boy characters are like that really soft spoken and smart type which works super well with gohan. i'm sure she could pull off goku, she's megumi ogata lol, but her as gohan (especially if whatever gohan got recast at the start of the boo arc) is like ideal casting. the only thing he's missing is being gay.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:54 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:00 am They should hire a trans actress, I think that would be a nice curve ball.

That or just Park Romi.
What are the odds of a woman who’s trans being able to do Son’s iconic voice? Highly doubt it.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:55 am

kemuri07 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:38 pm I mean if she's still doing it all, then I mean good on her.

But yeah, no doubt Toei has a stable of younger understudies that can take the reigns from her when she separates from DB.
NO ONE BRINGS UP IDENTITY!! He’s the guy who cosplays Masako, he does the voice almost exactly. Not sure how he will hold up in terms of screaming though.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:48 am

Aim wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:54 am
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:00 am They should hire a trans actress, I think that would be a nice curve ball.

That or just Park Romi.
What are the odds of a woman who’s trans being able to do Son’s iconic voice? Highly doubt it.
Well, trans people can sound like literally anything, so...yeah.

Furthermore, who give a shit about copying Nozawa? That's just a waste of time.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf