Who should succeed Masako Nozawa?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aim
Banned

Re: Who should succeed Masako Nozawa?

Post by Aim » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:58 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:41 pm
Aim wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:38 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:48 am

Well, trans people can sound like literally anything, so...yeah.

Furthermore, who give a shit about copying Nozawa? That's just a waste of time.
Because Goku’s voice is iconic? Why would you want to completely swap it around? It’s just stupid.
Because the human being who made that voice is not the human being voicing the character any longer.
Nozawa isn’t dying anytime soon hun so that’s not happening. I’d rather Goku still sound like how Nozawa portrayed him, the last thing we need is this shit with constant different VA’s and actors like we do in the west. Just keep consistent. Plus Nozawa fits Goku so well. Identity can actually mimic her exactly.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:58 am

Xeogran wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:47 am I'm surprised nobody mentioned this person in the thread yet :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrKcAWcORRs

Their voice talent is incredible but would Toei hire someone who does public parodies?
I mentioned them, identity.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:55 am

Aim wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:58 am
Aim wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:38 pm

Because Goku’s voice is iconic? Why would you want to completely swap it around? It’s just stupid.
Because the human being who made that voice is not the human being voicing the character any longer.
Nozawa isn’t dying anytime soon hun so that’s not happening. I’d rather Goku still sound like how Nozawa portrayed him, the last thing we need is this shit with constant different VA’s and actors like we do in the west. Just keep consistent. Plus Nozawa fits Goku so well. Identity can actually mimic her exactly.
We're talking about a hypothetic scenario where Nozawa is replaced, not *now*.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:59 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:55 am
Aim wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:58 am

We're talking about a hypothetic scenario where Nozawa is replaced, not *now*.
Even so, it’s just nonsensical to make Goku sound so radically different when his voice suits him so much.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:19 pm

It's not nonsensical to let an actor and production crew do their own thing.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:22 pm

I said it before and I'll say it again: if Nozawa lasts too long, she may not need a replacement. At least not a human one.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:40 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:19 pm It's not nonsensical to let an actor and production crew do their own thing.
In this case it is. You may as well let them rewrite the entire story and change lines as well.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:57 pm

Aim wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:40 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:19 pm It's not nonsensical to let an actor and production crew do their own thing.
In this case it is. You may as well let them rewrite the entire story and change lines as well.
We should. They're doing the work.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:36 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:57 pm
Aim wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:40 pm
We should. They're doing the work.
No. I completely disagree, they should go off and make a different series then. This will completely ruin the series, you can’t just rewrite everything, unless you possibly get the original creator involved.
There's masses of unsuspecting viewers out there who haven't encountered the manga and anime yet. It's a prime opportunity for anyone interested to hypothetically put out new Dragon Ball.

The sky's the limit for ideas. Off the top of my head, Goku and the team are high-schoolers who fight rival martial arts gangs in the neighborhood. Goku can transform into a giant ape which aids him in these battles. Eventually, these gang wars throughout the city/countryside catch the attention of a twenty-something Bulma, Capsule Corp president and genius who herself is embroiled in a corporate thriller plot involving rival business leaders etc. etc. And that's just off the dome, imagine what invested writers could come up with.
Or you end up with shit like this.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:57 pm

If Toriyama wants to be involved he should make his own anime.

Hell, he made a comic already. He'd already be giving permission to a licensee to create an animated adaption of his work. It's not like DB and Toriyama are being victimized here.
She/Her
bisexual milf

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:35 pm

Aim wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:36 pm
The sky's the limit for ideas. Off the top of my head, Goku and the team are high-schoolers who fight rival martial arts gangs in the neighborhood. Goku can transform into a giant ape which aids him in these battles. Eventually, these gang wars throughout the city/countryside catch the attention of a twenty-something Bulma, Capsule Corp president and genius who herself is embroiled in a corporate thriller plot involving rival business leaders etc. etc. And that's just off the dome, imagine what invested writers could come up with.
Sounds like a pretty fucking great idea to me.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:35 am

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:35 pm
Aim wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:36 pm
Sounds like a pretty fucking great idea to me.
Thank fuck your not in charge then, and hopefully never will be. Instead of tainting the series with this crap, perhaps go onto another forum and pitch the idea to creators. At that point it isn’t dragon ball anymore. It’s an awful idea.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:36 am

Calm down sweetie, it's just a hypothetical cartoon. It hasn't murdered you.
She/Her
bisexual milf

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:43 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:36 am Calm down sweetie, it's just a hypothetical cartoon. It hasn't murdered you.
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa, i'm sorry, but don't you consistently complain about how attitudes in shows can get you specifically murdered?

Lets not misrepresent someones argument in an incredibly hypocritical way just because you disagree with them, maybe? I'm not attacking you, before i'm accused of such, but consistency is key if you want people to assume you're replying in good faith and not just straight up poking the bear.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:29 am

JewyB wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:43 am
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:36 am Calm down sweetie, it's just a hypothetical cartoon. It hasn't murdered you.
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa, i'm sorry, but don't you consistently complain about how attitudes in shows can get you specifically murdered?

Lets not misrepresent someones argument in an incredibly hypocritical way just because you disagree with them, maybe? I'm not attacking you, before i'm accused of such, but consistency is key if you want people to assume you're replying in good faith and not just straight up poking the bear.
The situation is completely different. A hypothetical cartoon about...a goofy school gang war (aimed at what demographic I don't even know) is completely harmless. The real media that actually exist...well, actually exist and resulting have an effect on the intended audiences (decidedly children and inevitably their parents).

I mean heck, Aim's not even really making an argument. They're just telling us "I don't like it!" With a really angry tone. At least when I argue for creating mainstream commercial art with care and sensitivity I'm pointing out the real harm it historically has. There's no equation here.
She/Her
bisexual milf

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:40 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:29 am
The situation is completely different. A hypothetical cartoon about...a goofy school gang war (aimed at what demographic I don't even know) is completely harmless. The real media that actually exist...well, actually exist and resulting have an effect on the intended audiences (decidedly children and inevitably their parents).

I mean heck, Aim's not even really making an argument. They're just telling us "I don't like it!" With a really angry tone. At least when I argue for creating mainstream commercial art with care and sensitivity I'm pointing out the real harm it historically has. There's no equation here.
You took the point the wrong way. I wasn't saying Aim was making arguments comparable to yours.

My point was that aim made a point about how "If you change how the show was written, it would be a different show", and your reaction was "Whoa, nobody's trying to kill you here buddy".

Meanwhile, in other discussions about the same property, you make the argument of "This affects my life and people try to kill me", and other users respect that. That is also fair.

He wasnt saying it was anything life threatening, he was making a point that you would be changing the show at its core. Your response had the implication of "its a kids cartoon, it cant threaten lives, calm down" contradicts any other arguments you make elsewhere and doesn't address his point. That is what i'm saying.

You're taking his argument to a higher level than it needs to be because you are used to arguing at a higher level, and it doesn't translate.

I'm very tired so if i'm explaining this poorly i apologise, but i went back through and i think i got what i meant to say out.

If it comes across as aggressive or whatever it didnt mean to so please dont take it that way.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:02 am

I’m at a loss for words at how to respond to this. I think I’m a bit over the hypocrisy to be quite frank.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:38 pm

Aim wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:59 pm Even so, it’s just nonsensical to make Goku sound so radically different when his voice suits him so much.
But that doesn't inherently rules out over voices as being equally to suit the character. Just because you can achive (4) with (2+2) doesn't mean it is the only correct way.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:06 pm

Not sure how the convo shifted so quickly or how it got so petty but if you're "adapting" some recent piece of media and choose to change everything about it... you really should just create an original property instead. Not doing so and you

1) risk creating something derivative and uninspired

2) risk falling completely flat. There's a good chance what you like/enjoyed out of franchise X isn't what the fanbase around franchise X enjoyed. And the assumption will be that you're targetting them otherwise why would you be using franchise X over something else?

3) risk cheating yourself! There's a good chance your take on franchise X can hit it off with a totally different set of people and be remembered for the opposite of franchise X. Compare the film Forbidden Planet to the scifi show Star Trek. Star Trek is remembered as one of the great humanist shows of the mid 20th century. Episodes like Balance of Terror and City at the Edge of Forever are still treated as masterpieces. Forbidden Planet meanwhile is mostly remembered for being where Fallout stole its robots from and being the movie that inspired Gene Roddenberry to come up with Star Trek!

4) give up IP rights! Think about the IP rights!

Now for the actual topic

Nozawa is old and getting older. That is, from what I understand, how time works! So while I get an adjustment period is probably going to be awkward, a new VA is inevitable. Might as well decide now whether they want the new actor to do a Nozawa impression or if they want something completely different. (Kinda like what DC did with Under the Red Hood and the Joker.)
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:36 pm

If you're going to produce a story for Dragon Ball or any property, it should at least, like, ostensibly resemble the thing. Why go to the trouble of making some stupid "High School AU" of Dragon Ball when that money and production work can go to an original property that stands out on his own?

Goddamn, what is with this thing of people wanting Dragon Ball to be anything BUT Dragon Ball?! Watch something else!
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler