Who should succeed Masako Nozawa?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: Who should succeed Masako Nozawa?

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:32 am

Aim wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:54 am What are the odds of a woman who’s trans being able to do Son’s iconic voice? Highly doubt it.
what are the odds a cis person can replicate nozawa's voice....? it's a insanely unique voice, but even then most people say nozawa sounds more androgynous then anything else, which if you've done significant voice training, it can pretty easy to sound like. no offense...but really weird post lol.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:34 am

Also, trans women are the best at pretending to be men. :p
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:22 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:48 am
Aim wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:54 am
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:00 am They should hire a trans actress, I think that would be a nice curve ball.

That or just Park Romi.
What are the odds of a woman who’s trans being able to do Son’s iconic voice? Highly doubt it.
Well, trans people can sound like literally anything, so...yeah.

Furthermore, who give a shit about copying Nozawa? That's just a waste of time.
Toei, and all the people that make visual Dragon Ball media.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:19 pm

I have a feeling lot of folks here would prefer something of a similar voice a la Looney Tunes and classic Disney characters.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:38 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:00 am They should hire a trans actress, I think that would be a nice curve ball.

That or just Park Romi.
What are the odds of a woman who’s trans being able to do Son’s iconic voice? Highly doubt it.

Because Goku’s voice is iconic? Why would you want to completely swap it around? It’s just stupid.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:41 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:32 am
Aim wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:54 am What are the odds of a woman who’s trans being able to do Son’s iconic voice? Highly doubt it.
what are the odds a cis person can replicate nozawa's voice....? it's a insanely unique voice, but even then most people say nozawa sounds more androgynous then anything else, which if you've done significant voice training, it can pretty easy to sound like. no offense...but really weird post lol.
Trans people are a low portion of the population, highly doubt there’s a VA out there who’s trans who can do it at this time.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:02 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:41 am I think the series should hurry up with a definitive ending before there comes a need for a replacement.
It did. It was called Dragon Ball GT.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:41 pm

Aim wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:38 pm

Because Goku’s voice is iconic? Why would you want to completely swap it around? It’s just stupid.
Because the human being who made that voice is not the human being voicing the character any longer.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:32 pm

If something happens to Nozawa I can honestly so a soft reboot happening.

Either Goku magically has another kid or Gohan or Goten's son(maybe even Pan) becomes the main character and Goku is mentioned exploring the other universe.

More than likely they already have a voice replacement ready to go that would sound just enough different that people would know its not her but it wouldn't distract.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:53 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:32 pm If something happens to Nozawa I can honestly so a soft reboot happening.

Either Goku magically has another kid or Gohan or Goten's son(maybe even Pan) becomes the main character and Goku is mentioned exploring the other universe.

More than likely they already have a voice replacement ready to go that would sound just enough different that people would know its not her but it wouldn't distract.
I dont intend to be rude, but this is bullshit. Please dont use Nozawa's death for yet another excuse to do a "Spin off without Goku" post. I was with you until I read the bolded part. A reboot or even a readaptation of the first Dragon Ball anime would be good after the fact though.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:20 pm

Aim wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:41 pm
Trans people are a low portion of the population, highly doubt there’s a VA out there who’s trans who can do it at this time.
well, ok, that makes a bit more sense but it was phrased super weirdly. but i get your point, but again, i don't think there's many people in general who can nozawas voice.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:53 pm

There are trans voice actresses in anime.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:47 am

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this person in the thread yet :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrKcAWcORRs

Their voice talent is incredible but would Toei hire someone who does public parodies?

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:21 am

Xeogran wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:47 am I'm surprised nobody mentioned this person in the thread yet :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrKcAWcORRs

Their voice talent is incredible but would Toei hire someone who does public parodies?
They have worked with Toei before. And he's great.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:18 pm

Goku has several voices: a lighthearted one, a more serious one and last but not least that iconic scream.
It might be difficult to find a VA that's able to mimic Nozawa convincly in all categories.
What is most difficult to perform is the iconic high pitched battle scream.
Probably only a selected group of people (understudies) may be able to execute all those well enough as it somehow sounds like Nozawa.

It would be best to give Nozawa a proper goodbye, for instance after a last movie. And then introduce the new VA.
If she gets health issues in the middle of a new anime run, that would be pretty catastrophical for the series.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:32 pm

There’s always the option of just letting the series end....

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:25 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:32 pm There’s always the option of just letting the series end....
Why would Toei/Shuiesha even think of doing that? Image

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:47 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:25 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:32 pm There’s always the option of just letting the series end....
Why would Toei/Shuiesha even think of doing that? Image
because all good things come to an end.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:16 am

No, we'll replace Nozawa with a speech synthesis AI. There's thousands of hours of recordings for the machine learning algorithm to work with!
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:03 am

RandomGuy96 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:16 am
No, we'll replace Nozawa with a speech synthesis AI. There's thousands of hours of recordings for the machine learning algorithm to work with!
If enough time passes and machine learning progresses far enough for it to sound acceptable, then honestly, yeah. I think a lot of parts of anime production will start to be done by AI rather than people in the next 10-20 years, and voice acting would be one of those parts. You'd just input the dialogue as text, select the kind of voice you want, and get a sound clip back as the output. (You can already kinda do this, but it doesn't sound too great yet. It needs to be pretty much indistinguishable from an actual person voice acting.)
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link