Can DB Ever Move Past Goku?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Re: Can DB Ever Move Past Goku?

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:53 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:10 pm
UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:18 pm That Cheers and Frasier comparison is very apt.
It’s only apt if you’re requesting for a spin off.

Would you like to see a Jaco series? Or a Pride Troopers series? Or a Satan High School series that focuses on teenage Gohan, Videl, Sharpner, Erasa and others?

There’s quite a difference between wanting to see a spin off and wanting Dragon Ball to suddenly switch focus to Gohan or another non-Goku character.
I only wanted what Toriyama was writing there. But that ship has sailed. You seem to think I still want Gohan to lead at this point. My love for this series hit a dramatic low with Buu saga and never quite recovered in the same sense. Still a huge fan but I've long accepted Gohan's fate. Stuff in Super with his character didn't get any emotional reaction out of me because it was to be expected. Though Gohan vs Frieza is pretty cringey, but I digress.

As for spinoff... Yes. I would like that. Absolutely. And preferably a female lead to really spice things up. I want something completely new at this point but I'll settle for most things that are not just Goku 2.0.
We the ones

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:43 am

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:18 pm That Cheers and Frasier comparison is very apt.

Would you like to see a Jaco series? Or a Pride Troopers series? Or a Satan High School series that focuses on teenage Gohan, Videl, Sharpner, Erasa and others?

There’s quite a difference between wanting to see a spin off and wanting Dragon Ball to suddenly switch focus to Gohan or another non-Goku character.
Wouldn't a The Office comparison be ideal for this scenario? or maybe TWD

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:06 am

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:43 am

Wouldn't a The Office comparison be ideal for this scenario? or maybe TWD
Yeah. The Office, That 70s Show, Scrubs, an a few others I can't think of.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... sonCasting

The main character getting phased out of a show or disappearing altogether is like one of the most premier "Jump the shark" triggers. Hell, wouldn't doubt that also played a role in Toriyama changing his mind.

The premise of this thread is about shifting the Dragon Ball story to somebody else. That's not happening. A spin-off is what the loudest voices in this thread should be really looking for - but a spinoff isn't the main story.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:08 am

If we are speaking spin offs I’d love a full Dragon Ball slice of life series. But I would still want Goku & Vegeta to be part of it. I would just want them to switch around to every character in their daily lives.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:33 am

Also usually when a show keeps going without its main character it’s because the lead actor wants out but the studio wants to keep the show going. It’s rarely, if ever, some spark of creativity to keep things fresh.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:46 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:06 am The main character getting phased out of a show or disappearing altogether is like one of the most premier "Jump the shark" triggers. Hell, wouldn't doubt that also played a role in Toriyama changing his mind.

Shows have to do what they have to do sometimes. It's not like anyone plans for the main character to leave the show, but when the unexpected happens the showrunners must find a way to keep the series going. I don't think it's the wrong thing to do in the world of television. Often times the show itself is bigger than any one character.

If someone instead makes a deliberate choice to replace the main character, like Toriyama did, then that wouldn't necessarily result in any shark jumping for the series. That would depend on a variety of different factors.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:53 am

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:46 am
jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:06 am The main character getting phased out of a show or disappearing altogether is like one of the most premier "Jump the shark" triggers. Hell, wouldn't doubt that also played a role in Toriyama changing his mind.

Shows have to do what they have to do sometimes. It's not like anyone plans for the main character to leave the show, but when the unexpected happens the showrunners must find a way to keep the series going. I don't think it's the wrong thing to do in the world of television. Often times the show itself is bigger than any one character.

If someone instead makes a deliberate choice to replace the main character, like Toriyama did, then that wouldn't necessarily result in any shark jumping for the series. That would depend on a variety of different factors.

Goku is the face of Dragon Ball and despite what some people may think he is hugely popular. It would be a bit strange to replace him now.

Dragon Ball doesn’t need new life in a new character. It’s doing more than fine with Goku as the lead.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:21 am

Kinokima wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:53 am

Goku is the face of Dragon Ball and despite what some people may think he is hugely popular. It would be a bit strange to replace him now.

Dragon Ball doesn’t need new life in a new character. It’s doing more than fine with Goku as the lead.

"Strange" doesn't equal "bad".

Doing more than fine with Goku is okay but what if it could do even better with someone else? No one would know until they tried.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:28 am

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:21 am

Doing more than fine with Goku is okay but what if it could do even better with someone else? No one would know until they tried.
And different doesn’t mean good either.

Dragon Ball would not be Dragon Ball without Goku. Even when he is not there he is there in spirit pushing the narrative.

If people want a series without Goku there are tons of different series you can choose from that were inspired by Dragon Ball. I don’t see the need to make Dragon Ball something it’s not.
Last edited by Kinokima on Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:31 am

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:21 am

As i inevitably end up saying in all these dang discussions, they'd be better off...just making their own original show.

Dragon Ball is just fine being what the hell it is. I have a strong feeling the real problem is us and our inability to move on from a children's cartoon and being jaded from years of talking about the same thing.
Cold World (Fanfic)

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:52 am

Kinokima wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:28 am Dragon Ball would not be Dragon Ball without Goku. Even when he is not there he is there in spirit pushing the narrative.
Well maybe that's the answer then. Move on from Goku but keep his spirit alive in the narrative.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:22 am

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:52 am
Kinokima wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:28 am Dragon Ball would not be Dragon Ball without Goku. Even when he is not there he is there in spirit pushing the narrative.
Well maybe that's the answer then. Move on from Goku but keep his spirit alive in the narrative.
Hell, that's basically what Araki did with JJBA. There's always a new protagonist for each new installment in the story, but the main charm and unique fashion of which it tells its story remained largely unchanged. And that still didn't prevent Araki from experimenting in new ways to tell a story and it lead the later parts of JJBA being some of the best material in the franchise.

In the case of Dragon Ball, some of the best material to come out of the franchise barely has Goku in it. The Bardock TV special and the Future Trunks TV special stand as some of the best stories to ever come out of Dragon Ball. And they have nothing to do with Goku beyond glorified camoes.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:34 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:22 am
Hell, that's basically what Araki did with JJBA. There's always a new protagonist for each new installment in the story, but the main charm and unique fashion of which it tells its story remained largely unchanged. And that still didn't prevent Araki from experimenting in new ways to tell a story and it lead the later parts of JJBA being some of the best material in the franchise.

In the case of Dragon Ball, some of the best material to come out of the franchise barely has Goku in it. The Bardock TV special and the Future Trunks TV special stand as some of the best stories to ever come out of Dragon Ball. And they have nothing to do with Goku beyond glorified camoes.

I mean sure I don’t think Goku has to be there every second of the story. I think it’s okay to have him be off screen for a time But I also don’t think Dragon Ball needs to continue without Goku to breathe new life into it. Goku is such an integral part of Dragon Ball

In other series the main character may not be as integral to the story as Goku is.

And Future Trunks and Bardock Special are literally two short specials. They are not an entire series without Goku.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:49 am

But they still ostensibly tie back to Goku. Why does this still keep being brought up? Both specials treat Goku as a light at the end of the tunnel, and in the History of Trunks, Goku's absence is a key factor in things being so fucked up. It's the grim conclusion of the "If only Goku were here" trope. He still hangs over both specials.

And as Kinokima said, they're specialls. They're ancillary material still anchored by the main story.
Cold World (Fanfic)

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:05 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:49 am

But they still ostensibly tie back to Goku. Why does this still keep being brought up? Both specials treat Goku as a light at the end of the tunnel, and in the History of Trunks, Goku's absence is a key factor in things being so fucked up. It's the grim conclusion of the "If only Goku were here" trope. He still hangs over both specials.
And they are examples of how you can keep Goku's spirit alive in the narrative without him even being there. The main story could potentially go the same route.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:11 pm

Also, one story was a prequel of Goku's life and how it came to be what it is, with a badass Goku as a protagonist. The other one was about what happens when Goku is not around for good, and it was basically a journey towards going to the past to find Goku.

So, for stories that are suppose to deviate from Goku, one has pretty much Goku with a scar and an attitude, and the other the promise of Goku saving the day.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:07 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:05 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:49 am

And they are examples of how you can keep Goku's spirit alive in the narrative without him even being there. The main story could potentially go the same route.
But. They're. One-Offs.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:33 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:22 amHell, that's basically what Araki did with JJBA. There's always a new protagonist for each new installment in the story, but the main charm and unique fashion of which it tells its story remained largely unchanged. And that still didn't prevent Araki from experimenting in new ways to tell a story and it lead the later parts of JJBA being some of the best material in the franchise.
JJBA did establish it was a generational story early on though and it's only a handful of volumes for each arc. DB has 519 chapters with Goku as the main character which I believe is longer than the first four JJBA parts combined.

I don't think it's impossible to tell good stories in the DB universe without Goku but we've only had short spin-offs like the TV specials, Hero's Legacy, Neko Majin, Jaco, and the Yamcha Reincarnation story so I don't know if they would consider it this late. There have been some good fan comics focusing on other characters but those would also qualify as short spin-offs since their entire story is shorter than any major DB arc.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:14 pm

That's more of a case when it's a live action show. There's nothing wrong with it but how many shows can you think of that had the lead actor(s) leave and the show was as good as it used to be. Another thing that such shows have going against them is lead actors leave after an extended run and the show is was already long in the tooth.

Why do so many of the proponents of moving past Goku seem to think keeping Goku around is what's keeping DB from being creatively vital again?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:18 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:14 pm

Why do so many of the proponents of moving past Goku seem to think keeping Goku around is what's keeping DB from being creatively vital again?
Better yet, why do so many think Dragon Ball needs to continue indefinitely?