Can DB Ever Move Past Goku?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Re: Can DB Ever Move Past Goku?

Post by Yuji » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:32 pm

Why not? Plenty of shows within the same universe work with a different cast. It all depends on execution.

For those who have played the games, Xenoverse works fine as a standalone story and it's barely reliant on Goku.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:32 pm

Xenoverse relies on Goku for the final battles. Dimps forces him against Demigra, Mira and in XV2 DLCs, but you can tell that he just doesn't need to be there.

A better example would be Dragon Ball Online, since it isn't standalone. Not counting your avatar, Trunks is the de facto protagonist (and possibly Bardock would share this role too).
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:30 am

Actually, Xenoverse and Online are the two best arguments that Dragon Ball stories without Goku are completely terrible.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon May 10, 2021 10:38 pm

To give my two cents on this thread:

I know that a vast majority of the fan base has a problem with Gohan being pushed to the Cell arc without an compelling build to the moment, but when the guy unleashed his true power it was just the second best moment in the series overall, I believe there's no argue to that. There are videos of Gohan exterminating the Cell Juniors and stomping Cell that are beyond 10 million views on YouTube, that's to show how that particular moment of the series was so striking for many fans through many years!

Hell, I believe that after the arc was over Gohan even excedeed Goku on character pools (correct me If I'm wrong), but the thing is Toriyama didn't knew how to handle this character becoming so popular, so he came up with some stupid *ss decisions!

Why do he needed to age Gohan? I know that worked with Goku, but I'm hell for sure that fans would like to see this badass mofo in action a couple more of times. We didn't need any freaky 7 years (that was way too much) gap from Cell to Boo for God's sake, just make it 3 years and have Gohan just a little taller, but yet with the same design he had on the Cell Games.

Super Saiyan 2 Gohan had the hype Ultra Instinct has nowadays, I believe keeping him on peak and making he improve to deal the main enemy would work just fine. But keep in mind that's just my vision: that when Gohan surpassed Goku on the Cell Games it was not only limited to the comic/animated series, it was beyond that.

So to conclude I will just quote:
UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:16 pm They had their chance with Gohan but then Toriyama blew it...

And that was the only opportunity this series ever had... and though I would like to see a series with Trunks, Goten, Oob, Pan and Bra being the main characters, It would still be kinda harsh to overcome what is DB with Goku being the main lead.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?