What do you prefer? The more battle orientated style of Z or the adventuristic aspect of DB?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

McDonaldsGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Re: What do you prefer? The more battle orientated style of Z or the adventuristic aspect of DB?

Post by McDonaldsGuy » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:59 pm

One of the reasons DBGT intrigued me so much was due to the concept: travelling the galaxy for the Dragon Balls. I thought they were going to combine the adventure elements of DB with the action elements of DBZ. It ended up being a disaster (so much so Funimation just outright skipped a lot of it) of course.

I would say I prefer DBZ's action structure. I do like adventures, and my favorite DB saga is Red Ribbon Army.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: What do you prefer? The more battle orientated style of Z or the adventuristic aspect of DB?

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:44 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:31 pm
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:15 pm
Kinokima wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:34 am That’s another thing everyone says you like Z more for the fights but while I prefer Z for specific reasons I actually much prefer the fights in Dragon Ball. They rely more on skill than power ups so they are a lot more fun to me.
I don't think the DB era fights were any less dependant on "power" than the Z-era fights but they were absolutely much more inventive and willing to go with weirder finishes. There's actually plenty of strategy throughout Z, it just gets lost in the powerups and almost cookie cutter resolutions. Which is probably why DB fights come across as more skillful. There really aren't very many instances "Got big beam? Get bigger beam! Biggest beam? That's best beam!" in DB.
I think in particular the fights generally had a much more diverse array of moves than Z tended to do. By the time we get to Namek, we've entered the realm of the generic ki attack that pretty much everybody uses, and any new special attacks (like Nappa and Recoome's mouth beams, the Galick Gun, the Big Bang Attack, Final Flash, etc) are basically Kamehamehas with nothing to set them apart aside from "IT POWERFUL!".

Comparatively, the original Dragon Ball felt much more inventive. Ki attacks like the Kamehameha and Dodon-pa are energy-sapping special moves you only use in a tight spot, and characters like Jackie Chun, Tenshinhan and 21st TB Goku would pull of a wide and diverse range of moves that typically don't use ki in the same ways, if at all. Aside from Buu's candy beam that's pretty much absent from the Z material, so the focus is much more on "My Battle Power is higher than yours!" even when the numerical aspect stops being used.
I don't think this line of reasoning holds up nearly as well as you believe. There is still an inventiveness in the latter parts of DB. And why are the mouth ki attacks by Nappa and Reacoom as well as the Big Bang Attack, final flash, etc. all Kamehamehas, but the Dodonpa is somehow different.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:57 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:44 pm I don't think this line of reasoning holds up nearly as well as you believe. There is still an inventiveness in the latter parts of DB. And why are the mouth ki attacks by Nappa and Reacoom as well as the Big Bang Attack, final flash, etc. all Kamehamehas, but the Dodonpa is somehow different.
The Dodon-Pa to me felt much more like an assassination move where it goes for outright killing the target, rather than damaging it like the Kamehameha does. It's similar to how the Makankosappo is unique in that it bores through its target.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:54 pm

KBABZ wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:57 pm
ABED wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:44 pm I don't think this line of reasoning holds up nearly as well as you believe. There is still an inventiveness in the latter parts of DB. And why are the mouth ki attacks by Nappa and Reacoom as well as the Big Bang Attack, final flash, etc. all Kamehamehas, but the Dodonpa is somehow different.
The Dodon-Pa to me felt much more like an assassination move where it goes for outright killing the target, rather than damaging it like the Kamehameha does. It's similar to how the Makankosappo is unique in that it bores through its target.
There was nothing that said it was a move that's a kill shot, it just happens that it was used by an assassin. The Kamehameha can also be a kill shot, just like Reacoom was going for the kill with his mouth blast.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:49 pm

The Ki blast everywhere became pretty standard at the 22nd Tenkaichi Tournament anyways.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:45 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:54 pm
KBABZ wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:57 pm The Dodon-Pa to me felt much more like an assassination move where it goes for outright killing the target, rather than damaging it like the Kamehameha does. It's similar to how the Makankosappo is unique in that it bores through its target.
There was nothing that said it was a move that's a kill shot, it just happens that it was used by an assassin. The Kamehameha can also be a kill shot, just like Reacoom was going for the kill with his mouth blast.
The fact that it was the signature attack of an assassin suggests that it was a killing technique. Tenshinhan and Chiao Tzu were also going for the kill during the tournament.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:07 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:49 pm The Ki blast everywhere became pretty standard at the 22nd Tenkaichi Tournament anyways.
I disagree, it was still a very risky technique to use because of how make-or-break it was at the time. This lessened by the Saiyan Arc, but really IMO it's when you get to Namek and Frieza's lackeys are throwing 'em everywhere alongside Krillin and Gohan that they became the standard attack in Dragon Ball that would be used just as often as a YATATATATATA melee bout.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:43 am

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:45 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:54 pm
KBABZ wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:57 pm The Dodon-Pa to me felt much more like an assassination move where it goes for outright killing the target, rather than damaging it like the Kamehameha does. It's similar to how the Makankosappo is unique in that it bores through its target.
The fact that it was the signature attack of an assassin suggests that it was a killing technique. Tenshinhan and Chiao Tzu were also going for the kill during the tournament.
Goku has used the Kamehameha as a killing blow. And Tenshinhan was not going for the kill shot in the tournament, he would've gotten disqualified. It might be one of his most powerful attacks but it's not an automatic kill shot. Muten Roshi has used the Kamehameha to destroy the moon. The attack is as powerful as the user wants it to be. If they want it to be a kill shot, it can be a kill shot.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:21 am

Chaozu used the dodonpa to burn that one preliminary participant. So we know it’s not necessarily a kill shot.

But probably way more dangerous than the KameHameHa and I’m surprised both Tenshinhan and Chaozu stopped using it.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:59 am

ABED wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:43 am Goku has used the Kamehameha as a killing blow. And Tenshinhan was not going for the kill shot in the tournament, he would've gotten disqualified. It might be one of his most powerful attacks but it's not an automatic kill shot. Muten Roshi has used the Kamehameha to destroy the moon. The attack is as powerful as the user wants it to be. If they want it to be a kill shot, it can be a kill shot.
And I doubt that Taopaipai would want the Dodonpa to ever be anything other than a kill shot. Maybe if they wanted to make an exception for a tournament or something, sure, but not ordinarily. Roshi and the Turtle school, on the other hand, are not as fixated on death but rather on life. So they would probably make their exceptions be for killing.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:01 pm

Yeah that was always the vibe I got. The Kamehameha is obviously able to kill people, but it tends to deal general damage. The vibe I got from the Dodon-pa meanwhile was that it focuses more on being lethal, which you can get from how Tao Pai-Pai uses it and the personality of himself, Shen and Tenshinhan.

PanSimpson
Banned

Post by PanSimpson » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:12 pm

I prefer a good balance of both, which is why I LOVED the first half of the Majin Buu Saga and GT SO MUCH.

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:35 am

PanSimpson wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:12 pm I prefer a good balance of both, which is why I LOVED the first half of the Majin Buu Saga and GT SO MUCH.
GT prior to Baby is so darn good.
We the ones