Big Green Roundup

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Big Green Roundup

Post by Gilby1385 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:18 pm

AB Groupe, the distributor of the "Dragon Ball" franchise in Canada and the Commonwealth of Europe, proudly presents...

Big Green Roundup, come on, it's time to riff
There's Goku, the Super Warrior (KAMEIAMEIAAAAA!!!!!)
Clearin', he's Goku's friend (He's the shrillest)
Old man Muten Rashi (Ye-he-he, hoo-hoo)
And Big Green himself
Of course, it's time for the Big Green Roundup
He's the very best
He's the biggest, greenest Namek that can beat the rest!
Big Greeeeeen Rounduuuuuuuuuup.

Welcome, welcome and welcome again to the Big Green Roundup. For the unfamiliar, the Dragon Ball franchise in Europe and Canada was distributed by a French distribution company called AB Groupe (now going under the name of Mediawan Thematics). They were known for creating the French dubs of the original Dragon Ball anime trilogy, which most of the European language versions are based on. In 2000, they teamed up with Westwood Media and Ocean Productions to create an alternate English dub of "Dragon Ball Z" using (most of) the voice cast from the Saban/Ocean dub of that show, and was recorded at Airwaves Sound in Vancouver. Later on, they produced English dubs of "Dragon Ball" and "Dragon Ball GT", which were recorded at Blue Water Studios in Calgary. Reasons for the dub's existence ranged from "it was too expensive to license the FUNimation dub" to "fulfill Canadian content requirements", although the latter is pretty much debatable since Canada got the "Dragon Ball Z" dub at edited episode 168, rather than 108 which the UK and the Netherlands started at.

But perhaps the most absurd English dubs of the "Dragon Ball" franchise that AB collaborated on are dubs of some of the movies and TV specials. Apparently produced in-house, they were known for their wonky writing (apparently translated from the French dubs, which makes sense as they are a French company), bizarre name changes (such as Krillin being called Clearin, Bulma being called Blooma, and, of course, Piccolo being called Big Green, which is how it got its informal title), some voices sounding unfitting (Clearin' is probably the worst), and almost every attack being a "Kamehameha", among other problems. These dubs were produced around 2000-2001, and their dubs of the "Dragon Ball Z" movies and specials were released on DVD in the Netherlands by Bridge Entertainment (who, once upon a time, was mistakenly assumed to be the creators of the dubs) the latter year, albeit out of order. Movies 2, 3 and 4 were also released on DVD in the UK by Warner Vision. All the Big Green dubs (including "Dragon Ball" movies 1-3 and the "Dragon Ball GT" special) were aired on Toonami UK in the summer of 2005.

Now that's all said, there's still one question I'd like to ask before this roundup begins: which order do you want to do the dubs in? (choice headers not a pun on AB, mind you)
A: Original Japanese release order
B: Order of Big Green dub release (DBZ movie 3 first, then go through the order of the Dutch DVDs, possibly ending with DB movies 1-3 and the GT special)

After enough votes have been made, then we can start things off.
Last edited by Gilby1385 on Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Come out, come out, wherever you are! I see you! Well, it was worth a try.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Big Green Roundup

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:01 pm

From the first line, I thought this was advertising a panel at a convention. Was gonna say, "Damn, that's impressive."

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:30 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:01 pm From the first line, I thought this was advertising a panel at a convention. Was gonna say, "Damn, that's impressive."
Hahaha, thanks.

Anyway, please make your votes whenever you can!

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:52 am

Well, it's been a week and no one bothered to vote. I have a feeling that we'll have to do it in order of Japanese theatrical release. However, I think I'll give it a couple more days before the Roundup can begin, in case anyone else would like to do it in the other order.

Also, to comply with the policy of not giving links to unofficial copies, I will refrain from doing so when introducing each film. I'm sure you can find copies of those films with that dub quite easily.

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:06 am

To be honest I have no idea what the OP is trying to say.
We the ones

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:57 pm

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:06 am To be honest I have no idea what the OP is trying to say.
Well, this whole thing is basically like the Roundups that were on Allspark, there were Roundups for MLP Tales and G3. I thought to myself, why not do one for Kanzenshuu?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:48 pm

Gilby1385 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:57 pm
UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:06 am To be honest I have no idea what the OP is trying to say.
Well, this whole thing is basically like the Roundups that were on Allspark, there were Roundups for MLP Tales and G3. I thought to myself, why not do one for Kanzenshuu?
Huh

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:08 am

Uh...what? I'm sorry man but i don't quite get what you're saying in regard to this thread. :?:
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:55 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:08 am
Uh...what? I'm sorry man but i don't quite get what you're saying in regard to this thread. :?:
Just an inspiration. If you look up any of those Roundups you'll know what I mean.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:30 pm

Gilby1385 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:55 pm

Just an inspiration. If you look up any of those Roundups you'll know what I mean.
Ok i see now, just wasn't following at first.

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:53 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:30 pm
Gilby1385 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:55 pm

Ok i see now, just wasn't following at first.
Well, thanks for understanding.

Anyway, anyone want to vote for which order we're doing these movies in, or do you want to just get it over with? Again, we'll be doing this Roundup in the Japanese theatrical order if most of you don't want to vote.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:26 am

Do it in order of Dub release. It always interesting to see how the order can get mixed up in different countries.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:46 pm

TheMajinRedComet wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:26 am Do it in order of Dub release. It always interesting to see how the order can get mixed up in different countries.
Whoa, I was getting so close to doing it in the Japanese theatrical order, but thanks for that. Since it's been over a week, I declare the votes closed.

So with that all said, let... the Roundup... begin!!!!!

Dragon Ball Z Movie 1
"Super Battle in the World"
(Movie 3, "The Tree of Might")
"Let that child alone."

By the way, please do not ask me to provide links to the dubs themselves. Not to say I don't want to, I just want to play it safe since Kanzenshuu apparently has a policy against that sort of thing. So, y'all just gotta find 'em yerselves. :P
Last edited by Gilby1385 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:50 pm

Super Battle in the World

0:43 - No cry of pain from Oolong burning his nose. Wha??

1:08 - I'd love to see the cast go camping in a tropical jungle. Wait, didn't they do that already? Probably not...

1:22 - "I brought some school books, and not all of them, fortunately." So, does Gohan secretly dislike doing (tons of) homework? I'm a bit behind the series, so I guess so.

1:24-1:26 - Still better than Saban and FUNimation Gohan not knowing what a tape player is, so much for his intelligence.

1:39 - I dunno if that was intentional, but I love that the only part of that shampoo battle we get to see is "POO". Unenthused-Dutch-Dad would be proud.

2:50 - That's what Krillin Clearin sounds like, folks. So much for sounding like an adult back in Blue Water DB.

4:26, 4:30 - Anyone else thought that Gohan was flipping the double bird?

5:08 - AB Groupe still gets closer to Bulma's Japanese name that some of the English subbed versions. In fact the one I have (synced to the FUNimation in-house dub audio so it doesn't match up with the subs in the slightest) has "Bulma-san" at that point.

Anyone else wondering why Bulma is, most of the time, if not always, referred to in subs by her dub name while everyone else keeps their Japanese names with "sama" and such intact? I mean, she did wear a shirt that says "BULMA" even in the Japanese version, but still...

5:10 - So we have Crystal Balls, and now a Special Radar. Good job, AB.

8:03 - Why did they make Higher Dragon/Icarus sound like a monkey?

8:13 - (intense ground shaking) Raaaaarr.

8:16 - "What is your wish? But think carefully." Anyone else thought that line sounded a bit off?

9:05 - "Crystal Balls" count: 1

9:06 - "Goodbye forever!" Yeah, Shenron never comes back! Don't believe what the rest of Dragon Ball might tell you!

11:02, 11:09 - Pac-Man!

11:20 - No bath is better than a cauldron bath!

11:41 - Cue "Sonic drowning" music!

11:53 - The perfect "REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" face.

12:15 - Did she just call him "Gohand"?

12:20 - So that means we'll have to take "Dragon" off of the title and replace it with... no, not "Crystal", that would make too much sense.

13:34 - Fruit of the Loom 2.0.

13:45 - I dunno what the GoAnimate/Vyond version of this scene would be like, except for... you know, that thing.

14:24 - Heeeeeeeeeeere's Piccolo Big Green!

14:48-14:53 - (no sound, gives middle plus pointer finger) "Nyaah!"

15:23-16:02 - Am I the only one who theorises this may have been what's left of a deleted "Gohan song" that likely went with this scene?

Haven't got much to say, so skipping ahead...

19:24 - "I didn't, you royal-" Anyone else heard that? Bulma Bloomer got called "royal".

19:30 - Senile laugh.

19:51 - Krillin Clearin (I think that's him) does the "sing-song teaser laugh". Good one.

20:04 - "Oops. I'm gonna grounded for the rest of time!"

20:43 - "Go on". The first time I heard it, I thought he said "Gohan".

20:56-21:57 - Gotta love that they gave King Kai a British accent.

More skipping ahead...

31:22, 31:25 - Gohan starts gaining an annoying Muppet voice.

31:26 - "Big Green" count: 1

31:28 - "Let that child alone." OOOH, HE SAID IT!!!

32:43 - "Moon blast Halt, explode!"

33:01-33:14 - (trying to scream agonizingly but just sounds like being constipated)

Still more skipping ahead...

38:39 - "Go to blazes!"

39:37-39:49 - Big Lipped Alligator Moment... I guess?

42:04 - "If you request my pardon..." Another kinda off-sounding line, at least to me.

44:57 - (constipated grunting) "Power... AT MAXIMUUUUUUUUUUM!!!!" Well, at least he's not saying "KAMEHAMEHA!".

46:20 - "Big Green" count: 2

46:36 - Oh, so he's "Klillin" now?

One last round of skipping ahead... yeah, I'm bad at this.

56:17 - "The thing is, they're alike physically. But when it comes to right and wrong, they're opposites." - Son "Gasman" Goku 3:16.

56:29 - Seamless line editing!

Vorige Waffe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vorige Waffe » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:01 pm

Gilby, no offense, but whatever this attempt is at trying to "riff" these dubs isn't going to be as funny as you think it is when it's solely kept to text form and your original post is already too vague in what you're trying to do. Also I don't see how it can gain any traction when the majority of people who know about the big green dub only know it from had picked youtube clips, as they aren't as many people who've seen them in their entirety as you might think. And that's doubly so in regards to the AB Group/Ocean dubs for the TV series. It was only until recently the entirety of it was shared via *ahem* the usual legally grey channels *wink, nudge* in a slightly more viewable quality. And since piracy/sharing full movies/episodes is frowned on here, you're already relegated to a very small handful of people who can participate in this.

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:26 pm

Vorige Waffe wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:01 pm Gilby, no offense, but whatever this attempt is at trying to "riff" these dubs isn't going to be as funny as you think it is when it's solely kept to text form and your original post is already too vague in what you're trying to do. Also I don't see how it can gain any traction when the majority of people who know about the big green dub only know it from had picked youtube clips, as they aren't as many people who've seen them in their entirety as you might think. And that's doubly so in regards to the AB Group/Ocean dubs for the TV series. It was only until recently the entirety of it was shared via *ahem* the usual legally grey channels *wink, nudge* in a slightly more viewable quality. And since piracy/sharing full movies/episodes is frowned on here, you're already relegated to a very small handful of people who can participate in this.
Well, that's too bad.

So, does this mean I'll have to cancel the Roundup? I was beginning to regret starting it anyway (not solely for piracy, but still).

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:59 pm

Gilby1385 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:26 pm
Vorige Waffe wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:01 pm Gilby, no offense, but whatever this attempt is at trying to "riff" these dubs isn't going to be as funny as you think it is when it's solely kept to text form and your original post is already too vague in what you're trying to do. Also I don't see how it can gain any traction when the majority of people who know about the big green dub only know it from had picked youtube clips, as they aren't as many people who've seen them in their entirety as you might think. And that's doubly so in regards to the AB Group/Ocean dubs for the TV series. It was only until recently the entirety of it was shared via *ahem* the usual legally grey channels *wink, nudge* in a slightly more viewable quality. And since piracy/sharing full movies/episodes is frowned on here, you're already relegated to a very small handful of people who can participate in this.
Well, that's too bad.

So, does this mean I'll have to cancel the Roundup? I was beginning to regret starting it anyway (not solely for piracy, but still).
I mean, it's like if someone else here did a thread like this to heckle the Speedy dubs of the movies. Those definitely have a good bit of entertainment value for how utterly god awful and laughably incomprehensible the acting and scripts are but much like Big Green it's something that not a lot of fans would be familiar with, seeing as they were only released on bootlegged VCD's in Malaysia and Singapore and those that do have only watched YT clips but not the dubs in their entirety.

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:09 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:59 pm
Gilby1385 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:26 pmWell, that's too bad.

I mean, it's like if someone else here did a thread like this to heckle the Speedy dubs of the movies. Those definitely have a good bit of entertainment value for how utterly god awful and laughably incomprehensible the acting and scripts are but much like Big Green it's something that not a lot of fans would be familiar with, seeing as they were only released on bootlegged VCD's in Malaysia and Singapore and those that do have only watched YT clips but not the dubs in their entirety.
Well, you do have a point there. I guess that means I'll have to pull the plug on this Roundup. :(
Funnily enough, I also considered doing a "Speedy Dub Roundup", but I'm afraid that idea's pretty much going away now.

And thanks for notifying me about the Speedy dubs being released in Singapore. I thought Malaysia was the only region to officially get them.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:56 pm

Gilby1385 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:09 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:59 pm
Gilby1385 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:26 pmWell, that's too bad.

Well, you do have a point there. I guess that means I'll have to pull the plug on this Roundup. :(
Funnily enough, I also considered doing a "Speedy Dub Roundup", but I'm afraid that idea's pretty much going away now.

And thanks for notifying me about the Speedy dubs being released in Singapore. I thought Malaysia was the only region to officially get them.
I'm fairly certain Speedy's stuff also got distributed over there non officially as well, as it seems bootleg dubs such as these and others like the ones they did of select Sailor Moon episodes and the Doraemon movies (at least i believe they're not legit dubs as their quality or quite apparent lack thereof shows) were widely distributed in that region of Asia back in the mid/late '90s.

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:23 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:56 pmI'm fairly certain Speedy's stuff also got distributed over there non officially as well, as it seems bootleg dubs such as these and others like the ones they did of select Sailor Moon episodes and the Doraemon movies (at least i believe they're not legit dubs as their quality or quite apparent lack thereof shows) were widely distributed in that region of Asia back in the mid/late '90s.
Well, I'm pretty sure they're not official, or at least not produced with the authorisation of Toei. Speedy likely produced these dubs because they got fed up of waiting for FUNimation to release their next dub (they dubbed one or two DBZ movies per year back then) and thought that producing their own dubs would be quicker. AB Groupe likely did those dubs for that reason, as FUNimation had yet to dub most of those films at the time (although they may or may not have released their dub of "Lord Slug" before AB's own dub of that film).

But we're really getting off the rails. Should we give this Roundup a second chance and let someone else have their turn, or should we decide there's not much of a point and close it? The latter is not what I wanted, but I thought it would be best considering the recent replies I got regarding my (kinda desparate) riffing on it.
Last edited by Gilby1385 on Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.