Are there "Dragon Box" styled releases for other series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Are there "Dragon Box" styled releases for other series?

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:12 am

I've looked around and I haven't seen anything like this for say One Piece, Naruto, or Bleach. Is it the age of Dragon Ball that makes a Dragon Box necessary? Please let me know your informative views.
We the ones

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Are there "Dragon Box" styled releases for other series?

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:10 am

The Dragon Box and the ensuing singles were the only home video release of the original TV show ever. TV Series getting released on home video wasn't a thing until DVD became the norm in the mid-00s. Modern shows coming out on DVD isn't significant, whereas shows during and before Dragon Ball's time have all gotten "special" release, ala Yu Yu Hakusho Blu-Rays.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:19 am

I know they did a two volume Dragon Box style release for the original Dr. Slump series plus all the movies and i believe the 1997 remake series as well.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:09 am

Fist of the North Star has a similar remaster, tho from what I've seen, it's a bit more consistent in its quality.

Lightningexpose
Banned

Post by Lightningexpose » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:57 am

Don't know what exactly you mean by "Dragon Box styled release"...but the one non-DB release of something I associate with DBox is, as someone also mentioned, the Japanese Hokuto no Ken DVD set a year before DBox I believe. Like Dragon Box, I hear Pony Canyon were responsible for the release.

Aesthetically, it's uglier than DBox imo largely because they applied a stronger sharpen filter than they did on DBox. DBox has this kinda stuff too making it a little ugly but to a lesser extent. It also has the same chromatic aberration as the Dragon Box film transfers.

Also yes someone mentioned Dr Slump. I had screenshots of those DVDs but not anymore. They had a DBox look in the film transfer too.

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:11 pm

I am referring to high quality 'original source' type releases.
We the ones

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:23 pm

One Piece, Naruto and Bleach were all animated digitally and released after DVD had been established, so the Dragon Boxes' two main selling points (bundling everything together and remastering the episodes) wouldn't really apply.

thejeremymenace
Beyond Newbie

Post by thejeremymenace » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:24 pm

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:11 pm I am referring to high quality 'original source' type releases.
It is quite common for older film-based series to get high quality remasters these days. The 80s and 90s Gundam and Macross series, for example. There is also the work Discotek Media is going for some lesser known stuff.
デデーン
Twitter: @gravitypriest
Dragon Radar ~ Subtitles for the Dragon Box Thread | Download | Source
Dragon Ball dialogue bot @dbz_ebooks | Thread | Source

Lightningexpose
Banned

Post by Lightningexpose » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:53 pm

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:11 pm I am referring to high quality 'original source' type releases.
In that case, there are too many to list that the Dragon Box doesn't even come close to in terms of representing the "original source". It's the norm for most series to get what you're describing. Dragon Ball is just a cursed franchise with a cursed audience who are ready to jump for cursed releases.

Dragon Box release is pretty flawed. The only reasons it was seen as "respecting the original" more than other DBZ releases was because it was all 291 episodes and 4:3 and had NEPs... Though, the NEP positions in the episode aren't true to how the TV broadcasts were.

In terms of aesthetically and audio quality, DBox isn't a good representation of the series in any sense of the term "original source". Doesn't look like restored film nor the animation cels. A lot of anime remasters at least try to look the way the cels did.

Akirale Torimaki

Post by Akirale Torimaki » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:43 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:19 am I know they did a two volume Dragon Box style release for the original Dr. Slump series plus all the movies and i believe the 1997 remake series as well.
As a fan of the Dr. Slump media franchise, I can confirm that there’s the N’cha Box and the Hoyoyo Box for Dr. Slump: Arale (1981), Dr. Slump: The Movies, and Dr. Slump 90’s Dragon Box-esque home video releases.
N’cha! From Penguin Village with Love!

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:18 pm

Cowboy Bebop had the Remix collection which looked considerably better then the original US DVD releases.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku