Lets stop Asian hate - what can we do?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Lets stop Asian hate - what can we do?

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:12 pm

This thread’s topic matter is fine. This location is fine.

If you have something insightful, helpful, informative, or supportive to contribute, please do so.

If you don’t want to discuss the topic matter, keep that to yourself and move right along.

If you think something requires moderator attention, use the built-in functionality with the little icon on each post to do so. At the same time, don’t just sit there and mass report post after post.

(Stop whining back and forth and insulting each other, Holy Christ on a Christcracker. Way to undermine what it is you’re setting out to accomplish. Don’t embarrass yourselves when you’re ostensibly trying to do some good. Are you trying to do some good?)

This is all pretty easy! Thanks!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:17 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:12 pm This thread’s topic matter is fine. This location is fine.

If you have something insightful, helpful, informative, or supportive to contribute, please do so.

If you don’t want to discuss the topic matter, keep that to yourself and move right along.

If you think something requires moderator attention, use the built-in functionality with the little icon on each post to do so. At the same time, don’t just sit there and mass report post after post.

(Stop whining back and forth and insulting each other, Holy Christ on a Christcracker. Way to undermine what it is you’re setting out to accomplish. Don’t embarrass yourselves when you’re ostensibly trying to do some good. Are you trying to do some good?)

This is all pretty easy! Thanks!
TBH, I think an 'off-topic discussion' subforum is long overdue so we don't have this problem every time there's a thread like this.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:18 pm

I would like an off-topic as well.
We the ones

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:19 pm

An off-topic forum is just going to draw in more weirdoes. The occasional thread is bad enough as it is, an off topic forum will just become an even bigger cesspool.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:00 pm

I guess that’s that. It still seems a little weird having a thread like this here, since Kanzenshuu has traditionally been pretty strict about discussions that don’t really pertain to Dragon Ball, but it does seem like this thread has yet to go completely off the rails like a lot of other political discussions on these forums have.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:04 pm

Oh my god y’all just talk about the thing to talk about and if you have nothing to say that’s totally fine you can just not talk about it and talk about something else somewhere else.

Off-topic/irrelevant posts to be deleted moving forward.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:39 pm

Perhaps it would be a good idea to get on that charity drive proposal?

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:00 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:21 am
Aim wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:14 am
kemuri07 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:05 am

A lot of it is ignorance. I've been there myself, and while I've never delved into racism (at least I think so), there are plenty of things I look back at and cringe because I know better now. I've gone out of my way to try and be better. I mean, I'm in my fucking 30s. I hope I'm getting better! Though if Kafka being called a hoe is the worst of it, I'd say you got lucky.

Every person's responsibility is to try to educate themselves as much as you can. There is nothing more dangerous than someone who is actively ignorant. That way you can actually engage in these debates, because rarely ever as simply as "one side is right and one isn't--unless you're Ted Cruz. Fuck that guy. But you can't engage if you don't understand what's being talked about. So if you're going to simplify an entire debate on structural racism as "all white people are racist," then in the least condescending way I can say, you really do need to do some more research. And actual research like books and scientific journals, and not just 10 minute Youtube videos.
Honestly at this point I spend more of my time learning more about politics and debating positions with other people that have some grasp of things. Like, it gets old arguing with some 15 year old dipshit online who goes around posting cringe with emoji’s talking about how he wants to do gross shit to the female characters.

The youtubers comment section can be the worse sometimes.

It really shows how the west is really hard for toxic masculinity that it seeps into a series with a main character which has basically none of the traits, instead, we needed to bastardise the series with an arrogant bear man voicing Goku. (Overstatement there but I do think the script is changed a lot with the dub, the tone at least in which Goku comes off as a piece of work you’d find in a southern MMA gym)
I know we had our differences in the past, but I'm glad we can talk with no issues.

And yeah, I find I have to be very selective in where I talk about this stuff. Even though I disagree with some folks here, I"m glad that we're all able to be fairly decent to each other. Like politics is a big deal, and a lot more people are realizing now that it actually is important and central to ones life. Worried about health insurance? Politics. a Job? Politics? Cost. of living? Buying a home? Just being able to do the most basic shit? Yeah you know it's about politics.

I was lucky to be surrounded by a lot of really intelligent people so I was able to absorb a lot of it, and chose to take classes and do readings on my own to learn more. Social media is unfortunately a shit show, and it's not a healthy way to hold discourse. This is a bit better because I can actually right in long form about my thoughts. And the closed-off nature of these types of forums ensure some level of accountability. People know who you are and will act accordingly if you act a fool.
I didn’t actually realise that we had spoken before after I had a bit more of a think about it, I’ve really been gone too long!

But yeah, all DB aside, the most important thing to me right now is the state the world is moving in, it was fun watching Dragon Ball and looking forward to all the great fun and mysteries, but as I’ve gotten older I’ve began to realise that there’s some incredibly important things in the world that my (possibly our? Depends on age) generation will need to fix, and it starts with knowing our stuff I guess, after all, we’re up against a huge rise in fascist ideology and where I live we are having major problems as well. It’s good you were lucky enough to have good people around you, unfortunately I wasn’t, had to put up with neo Nazi ideology constantly.

Maybe one day if things are better hopefully we will be able to have full on debates about DB without worry 😌☺️