Lets stop Asian hate - what can we do?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Lets stop Asian hate - what can we do?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:08 am

The attacks on the Asian-American community have been going on for months and have mostly been under the radar until very recently.

I know this "trenchantly" doesn't have to do with Dragon Ball, but, I feel it's an important issue. After all, this forum is dedicated to a piece of Asian-produced media.

I was wondering if there was a way we could start a charity drive to gather funds to donate to Asian communities, ACLU, or even women shelters. It could hold by trusted members or even Kanzenshuu itself. Maybe we could even do giveaways or hold auctions on other sites to generate money?

Any ideas are welcome.

derpytacos

Re: Lets stop Asian hate - what can we do?

Post by derpytacos » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:57 pm

Fund raising is good, but we also need to take real life action. If you see somethign try to stop it etc. If your friends or family or community start spewing BS call them out.

For myself I have noticed my Mexican American community being a looot more openly asian-phobic this past year. "rat eaters", common slurs that I wont repeat, saying how they would "mess an asian up", my own aunt even stopped talking to my cousin for about a month last fall when he started dating a japanese gir, talking about how he better not bring that virus home because grandpa has a weak heart. I've tried to call out and combat these racists however I can, dont know if it actually helped, but we gotta do more than just "post online" about this bs to stop it. Thankfully my parents aren't like that, keeping their anger to the proper place(chinese government) if anything involving asia comes up.

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:15 pm

I agree with the above poster that calling it out in real time even with your family even if you get into an argument helps. Toxic views left unchecked is how this happened in the first place.
We the ones

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:51 pm

I hate how the United States never wants to ban racism. Meanwhile other countries have a no racism law (As seen with Germany). People in America treat being racist is okay as long if you are not hurting anyone when that is wrong. Racism hurts people even if it's not physical.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

derpytacos

Post by derpytacos » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:39 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:51 pm I hate how the United States never wants to ban racism. Meanwhile other countries have a no racism law (As seen with Germany). People in America treat being racist is okay as long if you are not hurting anyone when that is wrong. Racism hurts people even if it's not physical.
because most people in america actively love racism, no matter who or what they are. Maybe not the same thing thatt the tv says is the big hot button racist issue of the day, but most people do engage in casual racism on a daily basis here, and enjoy it. We talk a big game about hating it, but most the country would be upset to see it gone gone. and i for one loath that

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:36 pm

derpytacos wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:57 pmmy own aunt even stopped talking to my cousin for about a month last fall when he started dating a japanese gir, talking about how he better not bring that virus home because grandpa has a weak heart.
That's ass-backwards. Japan has the virus under control due to sane policies. If anything, they should be much more worried about people from the US, as it has the worst outbreak in the world.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

derpytacos

Post by derpytacos » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:23 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:36 pm
derpytacos wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:57 pmmy own aunt even stopped talking to my cousin for about a month last fall when he started dating a japanese gir, talking about how he better not bring that virus home because grandpa has a weak heart.
That's ass-backwards. Japan has the virus under control due to sane policies. If anything, they should be much more worried about people from the US, as it has the worst outbreak in the world.
You're right, it is ass-backwards. But thats like one of the tenants of racism

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:06 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:51 pm I hate how the United States never wants to ban racism. Meanwhile other countries have a no racism law (As seen with Germany). People in America treat being racist is okay as long if you are not hurting anyone when that is wrong. Racism hurts people even if it's not physical.
Because it's part of freedom of speech. Not every issue in the world needs to be solved through law. Some problems must be solved through culture.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:29 pm

That would have to mean overruling the First Amendment. That would not end well in the slightest. Racism is stupid, but people have a right to be stupid, as long as they’re not being violent about it.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:11 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:06 pm
Because it's part of freedom of speech. Not every issue in the world needs to be solved through law. Some problems must be solved through culture.
No it really isn't. The ideals of freedom of speech are meant to strengthen humanity with new ideas and the ability to empathize with other people. How exactly does racism and hate speech achieve this? The First Amendment has been perverted to become this idea that everything is up for grabs, where I can believe whatever I want with little regards to facts and anything can be said with little to no accountability. We live in a world with a sizable portion of the population believes that the world is flat, that 5G causes the corona virus, and that vaccinations are the work of the devil to turn people into chaemeras. None of that is helpful for a healthy democracy. And let's not pretend that rapid disinformation does not cause violence, or is a violence unto itself. The Capital Riots prove that.

Yes, you are allowed to say what youwant, but the first amendment does not protect you from consequences. And if those consequences mean being treated like a pariah by society or getting fired from your job, instead of whining about the "woke police," maybe wonder if perhaps, you were the baddie all along.

Also: Hate speech is not protected by the constitution. The problem is, however, what constitutes as hate speech is become muddier and muddier since, again, we rely on explicit racism to figure it out and not implicit racism.
Last edited by kemuri07 on Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:25 pm

derpytacos wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:39 pm
because most people in america actively love racism, no matter who or what they are. Maybe not the same thing thatt the tv says is the big hot button racist issue of the day, but most people do engage in casual racism on a daily basis here, and enjoy it. We talk a big game about hating it, but most the country would be upset to see it gone gone. and i for one loath that
I know this thread is about to get locked down before the end of the day is done, but man I'm just glad to be talking about shit other than Dragonball.

Let's be real--racism is an issue every where. Let's not pretend that fascism and right-wing populist groups aren't on the rise in places like Europe; the fear of the unknown is an easy mark for bad faith actors to pin blame on economic and social issues on marginalized individuals. In America's case, there is a increased concern over the idea that Whites are quickly becoming the minority in a country that is becoming younger, browner, and gayer. Society at large is appealing to these groups, and there's an anxiety among older whites that they are about to lose the privileges they once had. That's why there's an increase focus on "cancel culture," and "critical race theory": Things that make white people feel threatened. The thing is, most of these people don't even think that they're being racist, but that's largely due to the misguided way that racism is taught: That you can only be racist if your "intent is hatred." What that ignores is that we are all products of our environments, and many of the things we learn that we take for granted are pretty problematic.

It's a lack of understanding of where the real issues lies, and people desperate for a simple solution. For the corona virus, the idea of a virus you can't see or even more terrifingly, one that you can carry without any knowledge scared a lot of people. Which is what makes conspiracy theories so appealing: They offer simple solutions in an ineffectual way to have some level of agency. Hating someone else is easy because they are a known factor.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:12 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:29 pm
That would have to mean overruling the First Amendment. That would not end well in the slightest. Racism is stupid, but people have a right to be stupid, as long as they’re not being violent about it.
Because overruling the first amendment doesn’t happen or anything in the U.S

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wfpl.org/k ... olice/amp/

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:07 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:11 pm
No it really isn't. The ideals of freedom of speech are meant to strengthen humanity with new ideas and the ability to empathize with other people. How exactly does racism and hate speech achieve this?
Because determining whether new ideas are good or bad, requires rational discourse. If an idea is bad, it needs to be contended with rationally, through serious and critical discussion. It needs to be picked apart through logic and reasoning. Shutting out the bad idea through law is not doing that. It's sweeping it under the rug and ignoring it.

The best way to get rid of a bad idea is to logically pick it apart. You have no chance of doing that by simply making it illegal.

Freedom of Speech means you have to take the good with the bad.

The First Amendment has been perverted to become this idea that everything is up for grabs, where I can believe whatever I want with little regards to facts and anything can be said with little to no accountability. We live in a world with a sizable portion of the population believes that the world is flat, that 5G causes the corona virus, and that vaccinations are the work of the devil to turn people into chaemeras. None of that is helpful for a healthy democracy. And let's not pretend that rapid disinformation does not cause violence, or is a violence unto itself. The Capital Riots prove that.
The thing is, you can't control beliefs with law. If you make believing in Flat Earth illegal, that doesn't stop people from believing it. That just stops them from expressing their belief out loud.

It's much better to allow the false belief to have a space to be spoken about, so it can be contended to with logic and facts.

Would you rather have a lot of closet racists in a nation where racist speech is illegal, or would you rather know who the racists are, because it IS legal, and you have a chance to contend with it through logic and reasoning?

Also: Hate speech is not protected by the constitution.
If it's an actual threat, no it's not. Violent threats themselves are illegal. If it's just "I hate x type of people" it is protected.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:14 pm

There's nothing we can do. If you seen the way a lot of Trump supporters spread hate toward anyone who was non-white or straight back in 2020 you know there are just these ignorant hateful people in the world and there's nothing that will change their minds.

At least be glad things are somewhat better now than it was even back in the early 2000's.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:30 pm

precita wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:14 pm
At least be glad things are somewhat better now than it was even back in the early 2000's.
That is incredibly debatable. I would say racism against minorities has actually been worse since 2016 than it was in the early 2000s. And it was hardly sunshine and roses back then.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:35 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:30 pm
That is incredibly debatable. I would say racism against minorities has actually been worse since 2016 than it was in the early 2000s. And it was hardly sunshine and roses back then.
Early 2000s had all the racial issues stemming from the 90s lingering on. It was definitely far worse. It was just less visible because compared to then, information travels so rapidly today.

Also, issues today are just blown way out of proportion, making them seem like a much bigger issue than they really are.

derpytacos

Post by derpytacos » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:07 pm

precita wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:14 pm
Yeah no... only a white person would think its worse today than back then. Sure the online racists may be *louder* than back then. But irl my family and I and well most every minority that I talk to about then would pick today over the 90s and early 2000s 10/10 times.

I know its a "millennial sin" to speak ill of the glorious "90's"(which cultrually lasted until roughly 2004), but to be blunt it was only a good time for middle class+, straight, cis, white people. for pretty much everyone else it was pretty fuckin shitty. Especially if you were lower middle class or worse, which most of us were back then. Yeah trumpers may be loud today, but so are the anti-racists(for the first time in pretty much ever)

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:09 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:35 pm
Early 2000s had all the racial issues stemming from the 90s lingering on. It was definitely far worse. It was just less visible because compared to then, information travels so rapidly today.

Also, issues today are just blown way out of proportion, making them seem like a much bigger issue than they really are.
Try telling that to the minorities and LGBTQ receiving heaps of abuse. Somehow I don't see that going too well for you.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:13 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:09 pm
Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:35 pm

Try telling that to the minorities and LGBTQ receiving heaps of abuse. Somehow I don't see that going too well for you.
I am a minority. And I do call out my personal friends who play the race card.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:37 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:09 pm Try telling that to the minorities and LGBTQ receiving heaps of abuse. Somehow I don't see that going too well for you.
At least in my State, I really would have to agree that it's blown out of proportion. I mean, aside from certain hicks hating anyone L, G, B, T, Q, or the ones who fall under the + sign so as to not make the acronym too long to remember, there really isn't much hatred. And even the hicks who aren't okay with LGBTQ+, are perfectly fine with other "races" (I find such terms to be a silly, aritificial thing). The only racist people I've ever seen in real life are people from out of state. One white-skinned pastor and one black-skinned coworker. So I suppose "blown out of proportion" might not apply in the areas those two were from, but there are definately parts of the United States where it IS blown out of proportion, I'd say. In general, I'd say no would dare even think anything racist here, out of fear, since racists would be the minority. The exception being some cranky old guys who haven't died yet. But LGBTQ+ probably still gets plenty of harrassment. More or less, depending on your letter. But also on your personality, which a lot of bad people like to dismiss as "racist", "sexist", "sexualityist", etc, becuz they refuse to believe it could be their shitty personality that others don't like. I've met some gay guys like that. They're out there making me look bad! D:

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:13 pm I am a minority. And I do call out my personal friends who play the race card.
Good. Don't let them make you look bad! :0
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."