Lets stop Asian hate - what can we do?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Lets stop Asian hate - what can we do?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:24 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:26 pm I feel like humanity will never reach a greater level in society if we don't remove sexism, racism, etc. Geniocracy would be a right step for humanity, but that would never happen.
I once heard someone say that the solution to racism is for us to 'fuck until we all look the same'. Said facetiously, but there might be something to it...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:18 am

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:22 pm
kemuri07 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:24 pm And that is that America was founded by white elites who very much wanted to consolidate power for themselves.
Fathers wanted power to themselves, then they would have simply founded another monarchy. America today would just be another place of Royalty ruling over a bunch of peasants.
I MEAN.....

Also keep in mind that despite the drafting of the constitution, people who look like me were only worth 3/4th of a person, and women were not granted the ability to vote, own property, are a large amount of things that (white) men were able to do. The Declaration of Independence only granted freedom to a certain kind of person: White and usually rich. There was a lot of conflict post-Revolutionary War among laborers and politicians akin to a lot of what's going on today.
Melee_Sovereign wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:54 pm Corporations aren't limited to white people. And no, they do not have absolute power over you.
Technically no. But a large percentage of business owners "are white." The problem here is that you're looking at this from the wrong perspective. The point is not to suggest that all white people are racist, that is an over-simplification of a complicated argument. What I am saying is that whiteness is used as both a way for the rich to further enrich themselves, as well as a bargaining tool to encourage other people to agree with their issues. The reality is is that white middle class civilians are getting the shit as well. The difference is is that you're given just enough leeway to side with corporate leaders and vote against their best interest. The fact that white laborers are more likely to believe they have more in common with millionaires and billionaires than they do with immigrant workers is precisely the point.

More importantly, yes Corporations do have large amounts of control over you to a terrifying extent. I'm not even talking about work, which is increasingly harder to find with less pay--go do some reading on surveillance capitalism while you're at it and see just how far corporations like Amazon, Twitter, and Facebook will go to control people for endless profits. And like I said earlier, the Supreme Court has made a number of decisions over the years to grant more control for corporations over government concerns.
This is a bit of a non-sequitur. As shown in Table 14, It turns out that Blacks commit the most violence against Asians, and the majority of Black people are not Trump supporters.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:21 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:57 pm

"M-maybe you shouldn't call LGBTQ+ people 'faggots'! Also, we're totally not going to give you trannies healthcare herp-derp!" -- Democrats, basically.

How many innocent trans people have they murdered in the eight nations the US is bombing right now?

They don't care about us. They really, really don't.

I initially posted with a gif, but I felt that was too dismissive.

Let me put it this way: I know that Biden is not a progressive, and I know that he's not going to lead us into the promise land. However, and unfortunately, he is the right person for the job right now. Our government is a fucking mess, with a bunch of career politicians on both sides who are more focused on maintaining their statuses than outright governing. However, at least Democrats are actually trying to enact policy and deal with certain issues. Republicans are far worse because they have no interest in actual governing. We're talking about Ted "My dad was the Golden State Killer" Cruz (fuck Ted Cruz) who decided to go on vacation while his home state was suffering from power outages. Then this mother fucker decides to go to a conservative conference to make a joke about it. And now that asshole is trying to get his supporters to give him $60 for a signed copy of Dr. Suess books.

What I'm saying is that Republican leadership has no interest in governing. asshats like Mitch McConnell know that white Republicans are a dying breed, and they have no policy to appeal to the younger, "woker" Americans that are slowly becoming the majority. That's why McConnell was so invested in shoving conservative judges in the Supreme court--it's all about minority rule. With minority rule, it doesn't fucking matter that a majority of Americans despise Republicans. With Republican supreme court judges that hold lifetime seats, they'll be able to hold power forever. So there's no point in governing--it is all about power. And in that context, I only see the Dems as the sole sane option. Sure what they'll do will never be enough...but it's something rather than nothing.

I can trust the Dems that they'll at least try to maintain some level of a democratic country--Republicans have shown up time and time again that they are willing overrule our democracy for personal power.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:53 am

It’s really fucked.

This stuff is really rampant in the DB community. Thank god the most informative DB website in the world is left leaning, I can barely stand the pigs in other forums. I literally got a DM of someone asking which is my favorite female character, I can’t remember who I said but they ended up referring to Kafka a ‘hoe’. Mind you this stuff happens a lot in the fandom, still really hard though, it’s like if you don’t fit the majority you get harassed, look at Terez27’s DM screenies.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:02 am

Aim wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:53 am I can’t remember who I said but they ended up referring to Kafka a ‘hoe’.
How dare they insult one of the most famous novelists of the early 20th century?
But in all seriousness, I am not entirely surprised with your anecdote. Like I once spoke with MasenkoHa, Dragon Ball tends to attract people with more juvenile mindsets, from cringe preteens to manchildren. Not that it is a good thing at all...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:05 am

Aim wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:53 am It’s really fucked.

This stuff is really rampant in the DB community. Thank god the most informative DB website in the world is left leaning, I can barely stand the pigs in other forums. I literally got a DM of someone asking which is my favorite female character, I can’t remember who I said but they ended up referring to Kafka a ‘hoe’. Mind you this stuff happens a lot in the fandom, still really hard though, it’s like if you don’t fit the majority you get harassed, look at Terez27’s DM screenies.
A lot of it is ignorance. I've been there myself, and while I've never delved into racism (at least I think so), there are plenty of things I look back at and cringe because I know better now. I've gone out of my way to try and be better. I mean, I'm in my fucking 30s. I hope I'm getting better! Though if Kafka being called a hoe is the worst of it, I'd say you got lucky.

Every person's responsibility is to try to educate themselves as much as you can. There is nothing more dangerous than someone who is actively ignorant. That way you can actually engage in these debates, because rarely ever as simply as "one side is right and one isn't--unless you're Ted Cruz. Fuck that guy. But you can't engage if you don't understand what's being talked about. So if you're going to simplify an entire debate on structural racism as "all white people are racist," then in the least condescending way I can say, you really do need to do some more research. And actual research like books and scientific journals, and not just 10 minute Youtube videos.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:14 am

kemuri07 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:05 am

A lot of it is ignorance. I've been there myself, and while I've never delved into racism (at least I think so), there are plenty of things I look back at and cringe because I know better now. I've gone out of my way to try and be better. I mean, I'm in my fucking 30s. I hope I'm getting better! Though if Kafka being called a hoe is the worst of it, I'd say you got lucky.

Every person's responsibility is to try to educate themselves as much as you can. There is nothing more dangerous than someone who is actively ignorant. That way you can actually engage in these debates, because rarely ever as simply as "one side is right and one isn't--unless you're Ted Cruz. Fuck that guy. But you can't engage if you don't understand what's being talked about. So if you're going to simplify an entire debate on structural racism as "all white people are racist," then in the least condescending way I can say, you really do need to do some more research. And actual research like books and scientific journals, and not just 10 minute Youtube videos.
Honestly at this point I spend more of my time learning more about politics and debating positions with other people that have some grasp of things. Like, it gets old arguing with some 15 year old dipshit online who goes around posting cringe with emoji’s talking about how he wants to do gross shit to the female characters.

The youtubers comment section can be the worse sometimes.

It really shows how the west is really hard for toxic masculinity that it seeps into a series with a main character which has basically none of the traits, instead, we needed to bastardise the series with an arrogant bear man voicing Goku. (Overstatement there but I do think the script is changed a lot with the dub, the tone at least in which Goku comes off as a piece of work you’d find in a southern MMA gym)

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:21 am

Aim wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:14 am
kemuri07 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:05 am

Honestly at this point I spend more of my time learning more about politics and debating positions with other people that have some grasp of things. Like, it gets old arguing with some 15 year old dipshit online who goes around posting cringe with emoji’s talking about how he wants to do gross shit to the female characters.

The youtubers comment section can be the worse sometimes.

It really shows how the west is really hard for toxic masculinity that it seeps into a series with a main character which has basically none of the traits, instead, we needed to bastardise the series with an arrogant bear man voicing Goku. (Overstatement there but I do think the script is changed a lot with the dub, the tone at least in which Goku comes off as a piece of work you’d find in a southern MMA gym)
I know we had our differences in the past, but I'm glad we can talk with no issues.

And yeah, I find I have to be very selective in where I talk about this stuff. Even though I disagree with some folks here, I"m glad that we're all able to be fairly decent to each other. Like politics is a big deal, and a lot more people are realizing now that it actually is important and central to ones life. Worried about health insurance? Politics. a Job? Politics? Cost. of living? Buying a home? Just being able to do the most basic shit? Yeah you know it's about politics.

I was lucky to be surrounded by a lot of really intelligent people so I was able to absorb a lot of it, and chose to take classes and do readings on my own to learn more. Social media is unfortunately a shit show, and it's not a healthy way to hold discourse. This is a bit better because I can actually right in long form about my thoughts. And the closed-off nature of these types of forums ensure some level of accountability. People know who you are and will act accordingly if you act a fool.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:25 am

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:41 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:43 pm
Racistism towards Asians (Easter Asians) have always existed forever.
That's a bit of a stretch. Prior to the Early-Modern period, you didn't have contemporary racial categories to begin with.

However, it has gotten worse since Covid. Trump is able to make people hate Asian people because of Covid similar to how Bush Jr was able to make people hate Muslims because of 9/11. This won't have happened if we had a Democrat in office in 2020. Everytime we have a Republican in office, we have the worse things happen to our country (Bush jr with 9/11 & Iraq and Trump with Covid).
This is a bit of a non-sequitur. As shown in Table 14, It turns out that Blacks commit the most violence against Asians, and the majority of Black people are not Trump supporters.

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cv18.pdf

The Democratic Party is not some moral beckon. They're a political party just like the Republicans, and you have good and bad people in both of them.

Prior to Covid, Affirmative Action, a largely Democratic-backed practice, works against Asians. Because in their eyes, they were over-performing in academia just like whites. Biden's democratic 1994 Crime Bill put a lot of Black people in prison.

White people have the biggest track record of hate and violence in human history.
You understand written human history goes back like 5000 years. There was no idea of a "white race" prior to the Early-Modern period. Before that, people didn't think of other people as being part of today's current racial categories. The type of hate you would have is one kingdom or empire hating another specific kingdom or empire, and certain specific cultures hating another culture, but it didn't revolve around today's broad racial categories.

You sound very apologetic towards white people.
I'm against racism of all kinds, including against white people. Blaming white people for everything is racist.
The Crime Bill was bipartisan.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:51 am

As much as people give Joe Biden shit about the '94 Crrime Bill, black people were its biggest supporters because of how hard crack hit those communities. They wanted the hammer dropped on the dealers. We romanticize drug dealers as these Robin Hood figures now but a lot of those dudes were in it for pure street capitalism.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:10 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:51 am As much as people give Joe Biden shit about the '94 Crrime Bill, black people were its biggest supporters because of how hard crack hit those communities. They wanted the hammer dropped on the dealers. We romanticize drug dealers as these Robin Hood figures now but a lot of those dudes were in it for pure street capitalism.
eeeeh....

I mean, sure? I guess? But that really wasn't the problem to begin with. People weren't upset about about the crime bill because they romantacized gangbangers. It was because it provided the police the financial incentives to become the militarized force they are today, where cops can roll up on protestors with tanks and military weapons. It created a cash economy in which it was more lucrative for Police departments to focus on arrests, seizing of property, etc, that had a lot of negative effects on black communities. Both Biden and Clinton have both come out and said that the crime bill was a bad idea.

The crime bill was also a reaction to the Republicans suddenly becoming the "party of law and order" when Nixon rose to power by using the MLK riots as a way to criminalize both black people and protestors, and Reagan took it one step further by launching a literal war against drugs that we have long since admitted was completely a disaster and only serve to devastate communities by giving drug sellers absurdly long jail sentences. Yeah, black people wanted something to be done about the drugs that were happen, but this was all caused due to decisions that our government purposely made. And I doubt what they wanted was anything what they got.

Lightningexpose
Banned

Post by Lightningexpose » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:50 pm

what the fuck does this thread have to do with general franchise discussion lmao

weirdos

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:51 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:57 pm Republicans destroy the world and the US. Democrats destroy the world and the US. Just because domestic policy isn't loudly anti-progress under the Democrats it doesn't mean they don't intentionally deflect and obfuscate away from their actions and lack of action all in the service of their donors. Okay, that was a run-on sentence. Basically, those cunts still won't do shit to improve the lives of marginalized peoples.

"M-maybe you shouldn't call LGBTQ+ people 'faggots'! Also, we're totally not going to give you trannies healthcare herp-derp!" -- Democrats, basically.

Anyway, pfft if [anyone] think they're going to do anything to improve the lives of Asian citizens without being threatened with violence.
US is still leagues better then the UK in that regard, at least the USA generally does not have much in the way of TERFs.

Dems aren't perfect but at least on their side you've got people like the Squad who genuinely do seem to care about trans rights, whereas in the U.K. you'd be hard pressed to find anyone on the left that's pro-trans. They've done quite a bit to improve the lives of marginalized people.
Last edited by Planetnamek on Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:54 pm

Lightningexpose wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:50 pm what the fuck does this thread have to do with general franchise discussion lmao

weirdos
But really...this.

What the FUCK are we doing right now :lol: . I think it would do us all much better if we just stick to Dragon Ball. We really don't need politics here. We need some sort of moratorium on things like this because it's starting to seep into every thread.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:59 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:54 pm
Lightningexpose wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:50 pm what the fuck does this thread have to do with general franchise discussion lmao

weirdos
But really...this.

What the FUCK are we doing right now :lol: . I think it would do us all much better if we just stick to Dragon Ball. We really don't need politics here. We need some sort of moratorium on things like this because it's starting to seep into every thread.
We have like five million threads about Dragonball. Seriously.

More importantly, this is the problem when you have a forum that is only about a single anime--you run out of shit to say, real fast.

Lightningexpose
Banned

Post by Lightningexpose » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:09 pm

imagine seeing that but starting the thread in dragon ball general franchise discussion instead

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:11 pm

It is pretty weird that this thread hasn’t been locked by now. The only thing it remotely has to do with Dragon Ball is that Dragon Ball is an Asian franchise.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:14 pm

Lightningexpose wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:09 pm Image

imagine seeing that but starting the thread in dragon ball general franchise discussion instead
Probably because the last updated thread was in 2019. also see: "this is not an off-topic forum." Why does this bother you? Like if you don't want to talk politics--why are you here?
Last edited by kemuri07 on Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:15 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:11 pm It is pretty weird that this thread hasn’t been locked by now. The only thing it remotely has to do with Dragon Ball is that Dragon Ball is an Asian franchise.
Oh I'm just as shocked too since threads like this usually get locked within the day. I even say as much in my first post--like a week ago.

Lightningexpose
Banned

Post by Lightningexpose » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:28 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:14 pm Probably because the last updated thread was in 2019. also see: "this is not an off-topic forum." Why does this bother you? Like if you don't want to talk politics--why are you here?
You don't seem too bright.

>also see: "this is not an off-topic forum."
right, so the dragon ball general franchise discussion is an off-topic forum? or do you need that spelled out for you.

And no, the guy started this thread under the guise of community work. see: "I was wondering if there was a way we could start a charity". Do you see that "we"? That's referring to the community. You see the section called "website & community discussion"? Yeah, that's where it goes. hope it all makes sense for you now.