Lets stop Asian hate - what can we do?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Re: Lets stop Asian hate - what can we do?

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:01 am

Planetnamek wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:30 pm
Owens not racist? :lol: That's a good one, spare me the "she's not PC" defense, it's total bullcrap.

She's racist as hell:https://www.foxnews.com/media/candace-o ... themselves
What in that article is racist from her?

She's pointing out how the narrative the media spins implies that minorities must all think the same way, which you yourself also imply with your "it's not up to minorities to solve racism".

Also no most racism isn't out of ignorance, that's a myth. Most bigots know they are full of crap but simply don't care, and no amount of reasoning with them is going to convince them to change their mind.
Explain Daryl Davis then.

It's not the job of minorities to waste time and effort on people that hate their guts and literally want them dead
Don't waste time solving racism. Got it.

Are you a minority?

It's not up to you what any individual chooses to solve among any of the issues today. You don't think for other people. Daryl Davis saw an issue in the world and he chose to deal with it. You don't get to say it wasn't his job to waste his time and effort if he chose to do it. And considering his method of solving it, actually worked, it wasn't a waste of time. Unlike what you're doing.

(why do you think all those red states didn't bother implementing much in the way of lockdown efforts once studies showed the people dying from COVID were overwhelmingly black?).
God, you are a sad and angry individual.

Red states always do this when there's some form of pandemic. They tend to take it less seriously. They had the same attitude with swine flu. Not saying they're right for thinking this. But I don't see any connection with racism. You're literally just insisting that there must be some connection to racism.

Also can't take anyone seriously who unironically uses alt-right terms like "victim mentality", that shows that you are not posting here in good faith.
You can't take it seriously, because you don't know any real way to argue against it. The only thing you know how to do is vilify the person who disagrees with you.

but still when you've seen as many alt-right trolls online
Somehow, I doubt most of them were alt-right trolls and really just people you disagreed with.
Last edited by Melee_Sovereign on Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:06 am

Candace Owens is a grifting coon who realized being the token black friend that MAGAts bring up in race arguments was a valuable hustle. But that's another discussion.

And solving racism isn't as simple as just getting Klansmen to drop their most cartoonishly evil racist tendencies. It's a lot of illogical tiny behaviors and pathologies that these folks subscribe to that don't go away just 'cause they're not hanging you from trees anymore. A lot of these folks are so married to racist ideas that simple logic won't work. Racism is inherently illogical.
Last edited by jjgp1112 on Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:13 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:06 am Candace Owens is a grifting coon.
Okay now. Why? Even if she were racist, why call her that? You may as well just call her the n-word.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:18 am

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:13 am
jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:06 am Candace Owens is a grifting coon.
Okay now. Why? Even if she were racist, why call her that? You may as well just call her the n-word.
Because that's what she is. Tapdancing for the white man and shunning her race in the name of white acceptance, going as far as excusing oppressive behaviors that disenfranchise people that look like her. And on top of it all, it's all an act!

But this thread is about Asians, not black folks.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:20 am

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:01 am
Planetnamek wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:30 pm
Owens not racist? :lol: That's a good one, spare me the "she's not PC" defense, it's total bullcrap.

She's racist as hell:https://www.foxnews.com/media/candace-o ... themselves
What in that article is racist from her?

She's pointing out how the narrative the media spins implies that minorities must all think the same way, which you yourself also imply with your "it's not up to minorities to solve racism".

Also no most racism isn't out of ignorance, that's a myth. Most bigots know they are full of crap but simply don't care, and no amount of reasoning with them is going to convince them to change their mind.
Explain Daryl Davis then.

It's not the job of minorities to waste time and effort on people that hate their guts and literally want them dead
Don't waste time solving racism. Got it.

Are you a minority?

It's not up to you what any individual chooses to solve among any of the issues today. You don't think for other people. Daryl Davis saw an issue in the world and he chose to deal with it. You don't get to say it wasn't his job to waste his time and effort if he chose to do it. And considering his method of solving it, actually worked, it wasn't a waste of time. Unlike what you're doing.

(why do you think all those red states didn't bother implementing much in the way of lockdown efforts once studies showed the people dying from COVID were overwhelmingly black?).
God, you are a sad and angry individual.

Red states always do this when there's some form of pandemic. They tend to take it less seriously. They had the same attitude with swine flu. Not saying they're right for thinking this. But I don't see any connection with racism. You're literally just insisting that there must be some connection to racism.

Also can't take anyone seriously who unironically uses alt-right terms like "victim mentality", that shows that you are not posting here in good faith.
You can't take it seriously, because you don't know any real way to argue against it. The only thing you know how to do is vilify the person who disagrees with you.

but still when you've seen as many alt-right trolls online
Somehow, I doubt most of them were alt-right trolls and really just people you disagreed with.
She's implying that minorities that dare to call out racism are being manipulated into doing so by "the media"(AKA any news outlet that isn't Faux News, Newsmax or OANN), seems pretty cut and dry to me.

No they were definitely alt-right trolls, as they unironically believed that COVID was a hoax amongst other things.

I absolutely have ways of arguing against that kind of ignorant nonsense, the only thing you know how to do is live in denial and pretend that racism does not exist anymore.

There is a connection to racism, it's well documented, just because you claim it's not there does not make it so:https://www.itv.com/news/2021-01-15/cov ... lity-rates

You're the sad one here, digging yourself deeper by pretending that systematic racism isn't a thing.

Trying to convince bad faith trolls is not solving racism, it's a waste of time and energy.

I refuse to waste any more of my time and energy responding to your bad-faith arguments.
Last edited by Planetnamek on Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:27 am

People are always gonna be bigoted. Defeating racism means taking away the power of bigotry. And that's on the people with actual political power who have some actual sense legislating structural racism out of existence - and most of the people who have a seat at the table are white, because I live in a country where over half the white voting population voted for a guy who was once quoted as saying black people are inherently lazy.

Stopping the spread of racist ideas doesn't even require trampling on the first amendment. Private platforms can deplatform folks who help manipulate the greater public in subscribing to their ideas. If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around to hear it...well, you know the rest.
Last edited by jjgp1112 on Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:29 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:06 am
And solving racism isn't as simple as just getting Klansmen to drop their most cartoonishly evil racist tendencies. It's a lot of illogical tiny behaviors and pathologies that these folks subscribe to that don't go away just 'cause they're not hanging you from trees anymore. A lot of these folks are so married to racist ideas that simple logic won't work. Racism is inherently illogical.
Never said it wasn't simple. But, I dunno what else to say dude. There's a literal documented example of someone converting a whole swath of klansman through logic and rapport, and they're exactly the type of people you describe. I don't understand this insistence that it can't be done.

And that's on the people with actual political power who have some actual sense legislating structural racism out of existence
If you start legislating thoughts, you will tilt society into a totalitarian direction. It is not a solution, no matter what.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:34 am

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:29 am
jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:06 am
Never said it wasn't simple. But, I dunno what else to say dude. There's a literal documented example of someone converting a whole swath of klansman through logic and rapport, and they're exactly the type of people you describe. I don't understand this insistence that it can't be done.

And that's on the people with actual political power who have some actual sense legislating structural racism out of existence
If you start legislating thoughts, you will tilt society into a totalitarian direction. It is not a bloody joke.
By your logic, the 13th Amendment and Civil Rights Act "legislate thought." if your thought is that one race is inherently unworthy of fair treatment, then shit, maybe that thought SHOULD be legislated out of existence. That's not a simple difference of opinion, that's human rights. This isn't a slippery slope in a democratic society that functions on common sense.

And as for your KKK story: yes, he talked them out of the Klan. I've already acknowledge that. But it's not as simple as a black person telling a white person that racism is bad: that white person then has to look at themselves in the mirror and start challenging bigoted ideas in their everyday life. Yes, minorities do have to raise awareness of what's going on them, but then the majority has to actually listen and FIX what they've broken.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:43 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:34 am
By your logic, the 13th Amendment and Civil Rights Act "legislate thought."
No. They legislated certain actions.

if your thought is that one race is inherently unworthy of fair treatment, then shit, maybe that thought SHOULD be legislated out of existence.
First of all, that's impossible. You cannot legislate someone's thoughts away. But any example of any state that tries to do that to their citizens, generally ends up a dictatorship.

That's not a simple difference of opinion, that's human rights.
Yes, and like you pointed out, we have the 13th Amendment and the Civil Rights Act. Maybe that's not enough. Maybe there needs to be more legislation. But legislating thoughts? No. That's the end of the free world as we know it.

You start legislating thoughts, there will be no more human rights for anyone, except for the people in power. I dunno about you, but I don't want to see the United States end up like North Korea.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:08 am

I just said legislating thought in response to your post. My argument has always been that it will still exist, but you have to legislate the POWER out of it. That's what you're missing. The 13th Amendment and the Civil Rights Act helped legislate the POWER of racist thoughts away from the function of society and human rights. Continued policies against housing discrimination, hiring discrimination, voting rights discrimination, hate speech, fixing the entire police structure from the ground up, and other such things will continue taking away the power of racism.

It's up to our leaders to make policies to send the message that that shit isn't okay. Much like how going to jail to for murder tells the more volatile and amoral folks that shit, it probably isn't a good idea to kill somebody because they think Kid Buu is the strongest form.

A private company kicking a racist person off their platform because the power of their voice can incite hateful beliefs that can potentially impact public policy isn't going to turn us into 1984. Freedom of speech doesn't mean society has to give a fuck about you.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:48 am

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:20 am
She's implying that minorities that dare to call out racism are being manipulated into doing so by "the media"(AKA any news outlet that isn't Faux News, Newsmax or OANN), seems pretty cut and dry to me.
Believing that certain people are being manipulated is not racism, even if they happen to be wrong.

the only thing you know how to do is live in denial and pretend that racism does not exist anymore.
I said racism is blown out of proportion. I certainly never said racism doesn't exist. You're putting words in my mouth.

There is a connection to racism, it's well documented, just because you claim it's not there does not make it so:https://www.itv.com/news/2021-01-15/cov ... lity-rates
Yeah, that is not even the initial claim that you made before. You said before that that red states didn't want to close down because they knew black people were dying from the virus more. I don't see anywhere in the article mentioning this.

You're the sad one here, digging yourself deeper by pretending that systematic racism isn't a thing.
Stop putting words in my mouth.

Trying to convince bad faith trolls is not solving racism, it's a waste of time and energy.

I refuse to waste any more of my time and energy responding to your bad-faith arguments.
You know, if you argued more fairly and rationally, you wouldn't waste so much time and energy.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:50 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:08 am I just said legislating thought in response to your post. My argument has always been that it will still exist, but you have to legislate the POWER out of it. That's what you're missing. The 13th Amendment and the Civil Rights Act helped legislate the POWER of racist thoughts away from the function of society and human rights. Continued policies against housing discrimination, hiring discrimination, voting rights discrimination, hate speech, fixing the entire police structure from the ground up, and other such things will continue taking away the power of racism.

It's up to our leaders to make policies to send the message that that shit isn't okay. Much like how going to jail to for murder tells the more volatile and amoral folks that shit, it probably isn't a good idea to kill somebody because they think Kid Buu is the strongest form.

A private company kicking a racist person off their platform because the power of their voice can incite hateful beliefs that can potentially impact public policy isn't going to turn us into 1984. Freedom of speech doesn't mean society has to give a fuck about you.
If you don't believe thoughts should be legislated, then fair enough. It wasn't you, but someone else earlier greatly undermined the Constitution and Freedom of Speech, so that's where that part of the discussion came from.

I'm all for making policies that stop certain unfair actions from taking place.

But it's not as simple as a black person telling a white person that racism is bad: that white person then has to look at themselves in the mirror and start challenging bigoted ideas in their everyday life.
Well have you looked into his story? Because a lot of that indeed actually happened. Many of these ex-klansmen took a cold hard look at themselves from what Daryl describes in his stories.

And a klansmen leaving the klan because he befriended an African American is quite significant. You're seen as part of a cult, and leaving that cult can be seen as betrayal and be life threatening. I think an ex-klansmen who left, despite thinking that he may be hunted down and killed for betrayal, probably took some serious time to self-reflect.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:14 am

Oh look, a political thread filled with animosity and salty arguments. How droll :crazy:
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:13 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:14 am Oh look, a political thread filled with animosity and salty arguments. How droll :crazy:
Yeah, even though I have a lot of posts in here...it seems like all political stuff on this board does is create uneccessary division on a board that's supposed to be about Dragon Ball anyway :?
Cold World (Fanfic)

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:26 pm

Politics are a form of warfare, bullets aren't being shot but ideals are discussed that could affect a person's well being, so it's always a sensitive subject.

That being said, I don't hate anybody who i've been going back and forth with in the mysogyny thread, if we all met at Kamehacon or something I'd be open to grab some wings and shoot the shit.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:58 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:26 pm Politics are a form of warfare, bullets aren't being shot but ideals are discussed that could affect a person's well being, so it's always a sensitive subject.

That being said, I don't hate anybody who i've been going back and forth with in the mysogyny thread, if we all met at Kamehacon or something I'd be open to grab some wings and shoot the shit.
Yeah i'd be happy to meet most people from this forum in real life.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:08 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:13 am
PurestEvil wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:14 am Oh look, a political thread filled with animosity and salty arguments. How droll :crazy:
Yeah, even though I have a lot of posts in here...it seems like all political stuff on this board does is create uneccessary division on a board that's supposed to be about Dragon Ball anyway :?
Yeah...like, this is a forum about a kid's manga (although it is inevitable that could attract some guys with juvenile attitudes)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:14 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:08 pm [(although it is inevitable that could attract some guys with juvenile attitudes)
To be fair you can find people with obnoxious attitudes on any forum even for stuff aimed at adults.

Back in the IMDB forum days the Orange is the new Black forum made me want to claw my eyes out.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:21 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:14 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:08 pm [(although it is inevitable that could attract some guys with juvenile attitudes)
To be fair you can find people with obnoxious attitudes on any forum even for stuff aimed at adults.

Back in the IMDB forum days the Orange is the new Black forum made me want to claw my eyes out.
I know that every fandom has its bad apples, but Dragon Ball especially is more toxic than a good chunk of other anime fandoms (mostly due to 12 year old boys with superiority complexes).
Then again, politics itself is toxic by default nowadays.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:49 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:50 am
And a klansmen leaving the klan because he befriended an African American is quite significant. You're seen as part of a cult, and leaving that cult can be seen as betrayal and be life threatening. I think an ex-klansmen who left, despite thinking that he may be hunted down and killed for betrayal, probably took some serious time to self-reflect.
The KKK is more of a terrorist group than a cult. They are more dangerous than Scientology, Falun Gong, etc if you ask me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/