How do you own the series? (2021 Edition)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Re: How do you own the series? (2021 Edition)

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:21 am

I own the original Japanese tankobons, the Viz tankobon box sets, the Viz DBS volumes, the Dragon Boxes, VHS recordings of the original broadcasts, VHS fansubs, and the FUNimation DVD singles of Z. I also have pirated copies of every official release and refuse to buy the series again until they make a proper bluray release.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:50 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:44 am
Kendamu wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:34 am
Aim wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:26 am The best way you can own the series, through fans hard work of attaining the correct audio and subs and muxing it together with a semi corrected DB Box footage. Any other way is just silly.
I guess I'll be silly, then?

Like really I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if you really think "just buy the damn discs and watch the show" is legitimately beneath you.

It’s mostly just ironic saying it’s silly to not own one of the most expensive means of legally owning the series, and then going through the trouble of semi-correcting the footage and mixing in correct audio.

Why must be so extra?
Right? Thats why I'm legit asking if they're being serious or not. I didn't want to address an issue if it's not an actual issue and just an instance of me being unable to read the tone of the post.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:47 am

It's also worth noting the Dragon Boxes are out of print, so buying them isn't legally supporting the series anyway, but rather supporting a private business owner who in most cases will rip you off. I always encourage everyone to buy whatever release they can, and as of now the 30th Blu-Rays are as good as it gets, especially the Manga UK ones, which are Region A/B and are good value for what you're getting. After that whatever means anyone consumes the series is their own prerogative if the content isn't legally available (i.e broadcast audio, the likes of the Westwood dub, etc).
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:03 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:47 am It's also worth noting the Dragon Boxes are out of print, so buying them isn't legally supporting the series anyway, but rather supporting a private business owner who in most cases will rip you off. I always encourage everyone to buy whatever release they can, and as of now the 30th Blu-Rays are as good as it gets, especially the Manga UK ones, which are Region A/B and are good value for what you're getting. After that whatever means anyone consumes the series is their own prerogative if the content isn't legally available (i.e broadcast audio, the likes of the Westwood dub, etc).
I may get the Steelbooks when they drop in price and aren’t $45 usd a pop.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:06 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:03 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:47 am It's also worth noting the Dragon Boxes are out of print, so buying them isn't legally supporting the series anyway, but rather supporting a private business owner who in most cases will rip you off. I always encourage everyone to buy whatever release they can, and as of now the 30th Blu-Rays are as good as it gets, especially the Manga UK ones, which are Region A/B and are good value for what you're getting. After that whatever means anyone consumes the series is their own prerogative if the content isn't legally available (i.e broadcast audio, the likes of the Westwood dub, etc).
I may get the Steelbooks when they drop in price and aren’t $45 usd a pop.
Be careful with that. I saw the Steelbooks being tagged as "Limited Edition" on Amazon. Whether they'll do a release with regular cases after this isn't confirmed, either.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

ParanoidAndroid32

Post by ParanoidAndroid32 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:28 pm

Dragon Ball- Saga of Goku Boxset, Blue Bricks

Dragon Ball Z- Pioneer DVD Singles, Ginyu-Cell Games
DVD Singles, assorted DVD singles post Cell Games (still working on the full run), Seasons Blu Ray set

Dragon Ball Z Kai- Seasons 1-4 Blu ray, The Final Chapters Part 1-3 Blu Ray

Dragon Ball GT- Complete Series Green Brick, Hero's Legacy DVD

Dragon Ball Super- Part 1-10 Blu Ray

Movies- Dragon Ball movie 4-pack (on backorder with Right Stuf), Ocean Dub Movie 3-pack, Double feature blu rays for all DBZ movies/specials, Battle of the Gods Blu Ray, Resurrection F Blu ray, DBS: Broly Blu ray,

Nosferatu93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nosferatu93 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:33 pm

Dragon Box for DBZ
Kai exclude Final chapters
DBZ 2001 Original airing Germany almost 30vhs tapes 😅

Gt yellow bricks
Hellsing

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri May 07, 2021 10:29 am

Nosferatu93 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:33 pm Dragon Box for DBZ

Gt yellow bricks
Are the original airings less censored than dvds and how is the sound quality in comparison?

Nosferatu93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nosferatu93 » Fri May 07, 2021 11:00 am

sangofe wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:29 am [quote=Nosferatu93 post_id=<a href="tel:1699388">1699388</a> time=<a href="tel:1619048017">1619048017</a> user_id=126245]
Dragon Box for DBZ

Gt yellow bricks
Are the original airings less censored than dvds and how is the sound quality in comparison?
[/quote]

No in germany we got the france master which is cut pretty funny as in the recaps we often see the cut stuff....so no the dvd release in germany is even better but still sucks. In fact you got the episode of the shooting on the dvd it was not on tv back then because there was a shooting at that time so they cut it completely. But its on the dvds. Nothing special we never got a good version, at least its 4:3. there is no german uncut version because rtl 2 wanted to save money so they bought it from france.....pricks. They advertised weeks before uncut uncut and what not. It was okay for the time i t way s huge success. But for a release, no thanks.

And the dvds are expensive. Funny that us folks think they are expensive 🤣. Its more expensive than the level sets lol also never buy anything from kaze the worst ones who could have buy the license :(.
Hellsing

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri May 07, 2021 11:18 am

Nosferatu93 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:00 am
sangofe wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:29 am [quote=Nosferatu93 post_id=<a href="tel:1699388">1699388</a> time=<a href="tel:1619048017">1619048017</a> user_id=126245]
Dragon Box for DBZ

Gt yellow bricks
No in germany we got the france master which is cut pretty funny as in the recaps we often see the cut stuff....so no the dvd release in germany is even better but still sucks. In fact you got the episode of the shooting on the dvd it was not on tv back then because there was a shooting at that time so they cut it completely. But its on the dvds. Nothing special we never got a good version, at least its 4:3. there is no german uncut version because rtl 2 wanted to save money so they bought it from france.....pricks. They advertised weeks before uncut uncut and what not. It was okay for the time i t way s huge success. But for a release, no thanks.

And the dvds are expensive. Funny that us folks think they are expensive 🤣. Its more expensive than the level sets lol also never buy anything from kaze the worst ones who could have buy the license :(.
[/quote]

Most of Europe's broadcast dubs used the French dub version's masters from AB Groupe heavy censorship and all, plus of course adapting the scripts which were poorly translated. A lot of those countries' releases aren't uncut nor have the Japanese audio which is really unfortunate.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri May 07, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri May 07, 2021 11:58 am

How do I own the series?

Manga:
DB Vols 1-16 (Viz's Shonen Jump-style volumes)
DBZ Vols 1 -26 (Viz's Shonen Jump-style volumes)
Super Vols. 1-10 (Viz's Shonen Jump-style volumes)
All of the Viz "Full Color" releases. I'd love to pick up more if they release more. It's easily my favorite edition of the manga so far.

Anime:
DB (FUNi Season Sets + Movie Box Sets)
DBZ (FUNi Dragon Boxes + Movie Blu-Rays)
Kai (FUNi "Parts" Blu-Rays)
GT (FUNi Season Sets)
Super: slowly collecting the "Parts" releases and Broly on Blu-Ray

I also have digital backups of some of the more niche stuff like the Ocean/Vancouver and Big Green dubs.

I probably won't be purchasing DB or Z again unless we miraculously get a better Blu-Ray of Z in the future or, in OG DB's case, a Blu-Ray release at all. I would totes folk over the cash for an official release with the Japanese Broadcast Audio, but the chances of such a release happening seem slim at best.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Nosferatu93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nosferatu93 » Sun May 09, 2021 9:43 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:18 am
Dragon Box for DBZ

Gt yellow bricks

Most of Europe's broadcast dubs used the French dub version's masters from AB Groupe heavy censorship and all, plus of course adapting the scripts which were poorly translated. A lot of those countries' releases aren't uncut nor have the Japanese audio which is really unfortunate.
[/quote]
Thats why i switched to english version 🙆
Hellsing

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun May 09, 2021 12:09 pm

Nosferatu93 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:43 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:18 am

Thats why i switched to english version 🙆
[/quote]

Yes, it's a shame for those over there who have just dub only edited releases without the option for an uncut version with the original audio. I suppose you could say for all of the not so good things on FUNi's end at least we have the show intact unlike the majority of Europe which fell under AB's (now Mediwan's) license, in which case quite a few still do not have any releases with the uncut footage or Japanese audio.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

BaddAss

Post by BaddAss » Tue May 18, 2021 2:12 pm

As a British fan of western DBZ (Faulconer, etc.):

For the movies & specials, I hunted down the old 4:3 releases, including the Lord Slug/Cooler's Revenge/Return of Cooler box set forgotten by time, the Broly Triple Threat box set, and the First Strike box set which has the Ultimate Uncut Editions of the first 3 movies, just for the sake of voice cast consistency.

For the series (DB, DBZ and DBGT), I got the DVD season sets by Manga UK. It's just the old "remastered" Funimation DVD sets (yes, with cropped DBZ), but in a much more simple and compact DVD case format, none of the sleeves or weird book packaging like in the US. It kinda sucks not having the neat little booklets with character profiles and episode summaries, but it's a small price to pay for a nice simple DVD set, where the original US versions have that collector's item feel to them.
Believe me I would love to hunt the old individual releases of the series so I could watch the Ocean Dub, as well as the old Funimation voice cast with Dale Kelly (which I still get on the Bardock and History of Trunks DVDs at least), in a beautifully nostalgic way, openings and all, but I'm not the geeky collector type and that would take up FAR too much space at home. Not to mention I'd have to get up and change the disc every 3 or so episodes.
Hell, just seeing the DBGT complete series in the form of one compact DVD case as opposed to that huge looking set the US had was enough to sell me on sticking to my own region.

The old individual DVD/VHS are undoubtedly the best way to watch if, like me, you're a fan of the old Americanized DBZ. Remastered DBZ as a whole screwed up the audio (and video but everyone knows that) in a lot of ways (like, for example, missing voice filters on characters who had them, in both the movies and the series), though if you want a very good example of what I'm talking about, watch a remastered version of Cooler's Revenge with the English BGM on and see how much they butchered it compared to the original 4:3 release.

The season sets are the next best thing if you aren't interested in hunting down a million DVDs that have been out of print for over a decade and a half, but you still want that classic US DBZ vibe with Faulconer and whatnot. You just have to get used to the image quality, bland menus, annoying eyecatch things (sorry purists, but it doesn't work with the Faulconer audio and causes abrupt cuts), entire redubbing of the first couple seasons, and partial redubbing for the next couple. Definitely collect the old 4:3 releases of the movies and specials though.

I had considered the Funimation Blu-Rays of the series, since it's kind of similar to the DVD season sets but in proper HD, until I found out the title cards don't even have the iconic Bajoran font. Come on, Funi.

Oh, and as for Kai and Super, lol no thanks.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:05 am

I own several of the original Funimation DVD singles, two of the Ultimate Uncut singles and the Orange Bricks seasons one and two(purely to finish up the re-recorded season one episodes so Funimation never finished the UU singles for whatever reason).
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Satoshi

Post by Satoshi » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:30 pm

Dragon Ball:
Blue bricks 1-5

DBZ:
Orange bricks 1 and 2. I would like to replace them with something in 4:3, but none of the current home releases of DBZ are what I would consider a good deal.

I also randomly have the Trunks: Prelude to Terror DVD with five episodes.

DBGT:
Green bricks 1 and 2

DBZ Kai:
Seasons 1-4 (BR)
The Final Chapters 1-3 (BR)

DBS:
None. I may get it someday, but I prefer the movies/manga.

Movies:
DB Movie Pack (DVD)
DBZ Movie Packs 1-3 (DVD)
Battle of Gods (BR)
Resurrection F (BR)
Broly (BR)

Manga, I have Super volumes 1-3, 9-13. I am in the process of filling out the rest of it.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:11 pm

Dragon Ball - Blue Bricks

DBZ - 30th Anniversary FUNi blu ray set
complete VHS singles collection
Blu Ray Double Features movies 1-13
DVD Steelbook Trunks/Bardock Double Feature
Battle of Gods blu ray
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

NeflyteMasato
Patreon Supporter

Post by NeflyteMasato » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:19 pm

Dragon Ball box sets 1-5 (Funimation Blue Bricks)
Dragon Ball Z box sets 1-9 (Funimation Orange Bricks)
Dragon Ball Z Season Sets 1-9 (Funimation Blu-Ray)
Dragon Ball GT box sets 1-2 (Funimation Green Bricks)
Dragon Ball Z Kai 1-4 (Shunsuke Kikuchi score, DVD)
Dragon Ball Z Kai 1-4 (Shunsuke Kikuchi score Blu-Ray)
Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters 5-7 (DVD)
Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters 5 (Blu-Ray)
Dragon Ball Super 1-5 (DVD)
Dragon Ball Super 1-3, 6-10 (Blu-Ray)
Bardock/Trunks Specials (Funimation steelbook)
Dragon Ball Movie Collection (Movies 1-4 DVD)
Dragon Ball Z Movie Collection 1 (Movies 1-5 DVD)
Dragon Ball Z Movie Collection 2 (Movies 6-9 DVD)
Dragon Ball Z Movie Collection 3 (Movies 10-13 DVD)
Dragon Ball Z - Broly - Triple Threat (Blu-Ray)
Dragon Ball Z - Battle of Gods Uncut (DVD)
Dragon Ball Z - Resurrection “F” (DVD)
Dragon Ball Super - Broly (Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Steelbook)

Dragon Ball Vol. 1-42 (Original Tankōbon releases)
Dragon Ball Vol 1-34 (Kanzenban Editions)
Dragon Ball Vol. 1-3 (Viz 3-in-1 Edition)
Dragon Ball Vol. 1-5 (VIZBIG Editions)
Dragon Ball Z Vol. 1-9 (VIZBIG Editions)
Dragon Ball Super Vol. 1-13 (Viz Releases)
Vegeta: “If it means merging together with you, then I choose death!”
Goku: “Vegeta, you’re already dead!”

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:29 pm

Anime
-Dragon Ball Blue Bricks
-*used to own the DBZ Orange Bricks, but sold them earlier this year*
-North American DBZ Dragon Boxes
-Dragon Ball Z Rock the Dragon Collector's Set (was lucky enough to pre-order)
-Dragon Ball Z Kai Seasons 1-4 (Kikuchi replacement score)
-Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters Parts 1-3
-Dragon Ball GT Green Bricks
-Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays Parts 1-5, 9, 10 (still haven't bought 6-8)
-Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z Original Movies DVD Sets
-Dragon Ball Z Battle of Gods and Resurrection F Blu-Rays
-Dragon Ball Super Broly Blu-Ray

Manga
-Dragon Ball VizBig 1-5
-Dragon Ball Z VizBig 1-9
-Dragon Ball Super Vol 1-13 (Viz)
-Dragon Ball GalaxyTouring Fanmanga Vol 1-6
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.