How do you own the series? (2021 Edition)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: How do you own the series? (2021 Edition)

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:15 am

DB and DBZ manga - Viz volumes 1-42

DB
DVDs - The Saga of Goku, Season 1, the series volumes

DBZ
I bought basically all the DVD's until the Dragon Boxes. I only have the US Dragon Boxes now.

GT
Singles and Season sets

Kai
DVDs - I bought them as they came out so I have the ones with the music before the scandal and replacement score
Blu Rays - the Final Chapters

Super
Broly blu ray
For the series, I stream it
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:15 pm

I have all of the Dragon Ball and GT U.S. box sets, but I'm not married to them. They're just "good enough". Unfortunately, the current, not absurdly expensive offerings of Z don't meet my criteria for "good enough", so I have a couple Kai sets but I haven't been bothered to finish buying them up just yet. I'd really prefer to just have the Dragon Boxes but I can't justify that price tag. Not really a revelation though, that's been the story for most of us for over a decade, I guess.

Actually, I might have to reevaluate my "good enough" for the GT set, which I learned after picking it up. Though it is in full screen and cheap, the DVD's only contain the U.S. FUNimation visual cues which really annoys me. I feel like if they didn't feel the need to include those completely meaningless dubbed music audio tracks they could've included the original Japanese visuals. Oh well.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:04 am

Let's see...

MANGA

- A complete VizBig set for DB/Z. Holding out hope that Viz will finally grace the series with something on-par with the fancy "Fullmetal Editions" they've put together for FMA. Until then, I'm sticking with these.
- JP Kanzenban No.16, autographed by Kageyama Hironobu!
- All three "Saiyan Arc" volumes of Viz's Full-Color editions. Plan to start snatching up the Freeza-arc volumes soon.
- Viz's releases of Jaco and Reincarnated as Yamcha.
- Two hefty boxes' worth of Viz's old physical monthly Shonen Jump magazines, most of them containing individual Dragon Ball "Z" chapters.

ANIME

- Dragon Ball: A full set of all 5 of Funimation's blue-brick DVD seasons, and their slimpack box of all 4 movies. Pretty sure I also still have a random Red Ribbon Army arc VHS floating around somewhere too.

- DBZ: All 7 of Funimation's Dragon Boxes, and to this day I still don't know how my perpetually-broke ass managed to collect them all as they released. I have the first two and only "Level" BD sets, may their unrealized successors rest in peace. Haven't quite taken the plunge on the new 4:3 steelbook blu-ray sets, but I've come close, and probably will soon.

For the movies and such, I have the FYE-exclusive slimpack box set of the remastered original 13 Z movies, Funimation's standard edition BD/DVD releases of Battle of Gods and Resurrection F, the old Pioneer "Uncut Movie Trilogy" box set for Z movies 1-3, and Funimation's original uncut DVD releases of the Bardock and Trunks TV specials.

- GT: The big green-brick Complete Series remastered DVD set from Funimation, and a GT Dragon Box (complete with Dragon Radar remote and all) graciously gifted to me by CashmanX!

- Kai: A full run of Funimation's original DVD sets, Parts 1 through 8. Never giving those up, because I have the Yamamoto-music versions of the first four which includes my beloved "Saiyan Blood" insert song. Not bothering with The Final Chapters, for obvious quality-based reasons. Why would I, when I already have the Dragon Boxes for the Majin Boo arc?

OTHER: I own Dragon Ball Evolution on DVD, unfortunately... haven't stumbled upon the BD version for a low enough price to take the plunge. I also own the Dr. Slump movies DVD set from Discotek. Shared universe with DB, it counts. I also own Raging Blast 2 for PS3, which contains the re-animated version of the Plot To Whatever The Whatevers "OVA," and I'm counting that too.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:16 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:08 pm I know this topic has been done before, but it's been a few years so thought with all the new releases there has been since and the shifting media consuming landscape it might be worth giving it an update.

I know lots here, like myself still love physical media, others prefer to own the series digitally. Either way, it's all good, were all Dragon Ball fans at the end of the day.

Looking at my collection here's what I currently own:

Dragon Ball
- Saga of Goku BLT dub DVDs
- UK Banana bricks seasons 1-5

Dragon Ball Z
- all the Pioneer and later in-house Funimation singles with the exception of Showdown, Invincible (Androids), Encounter, Discovery (Imperfect Cell), Hunt for 18, Temptation, Perfection (Perfect Cell), Junior Division (World Tournament)
- few random Ultimate Uncut singles
- Funimation level 1.1
- Madman level 1.2
- Funimation Blu-Rays seasons 1-9
- Manga UK Blu-Rays seasons 1-4 (will collect the rest as they come out)

Dragon Ball GT
- UK Green bricks seasons 1-2

Dragon Ball Kai
- Funimation Blu-Rays seasons 1-4
- Manga UK Blu-Rays seasons 1-4

Dragon Ball Kai The Final Chapters
- Manga UK Blu-Rays parts 1-3

Dragon Ball Super
- Manga UK Blu-Rays parts 1-10
- Manga UK Complete Series Collector's Edition

Movies and Specials
- Funimation OG Dragon Ball movie 4-pack
- AB Groupe Z movies 2-4 UK DVDs
- Pioneer Z movies 1-3
- Funimation all Double and Triple Z Features
- Manga UK all Double and Triple Z Features
- Manga UK Battle of Gods Collector's Edition
- Manga UK Resurrection F Collector's Edition
- Manga UK Super Broly Collector's Edition

For the manga I own the single volumes 1, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 16, and 17-42 (so yeah all the portion that covers Z in the anime), Jaco and Super volumes 1-5. I do plan on eventually filling the holes in my manga collection, and catching up with Super and spinoffs like That Time I Got Reincarnated as Yamcha!

I also used to have Dragon Boxes 5-7 and some of the Funimation and Manga UK orange bricks but have since sold them.
Dragon ball manga : French collector edition.
DB TV : French DVD collector TV boxes, blue Bricks from funi (that I never opened).
DBZ TV : Japanese Dragon Boxes, French DVD collector boxes, French movie boxes, Scandinavian movie releases, and random funimaton singles releases..
Dbgt : Japanese dragon boxes.
DBZ kai : DVD boxes from ab for kai 1.0 (automatic ps4 upscale looks great for them), and kaze Blu rays for kai 2.0.
Db z GT movies and specials : movie and special collector box from ab. And the single funi releases for the TV specials.
Dragon ball super : French blu ray collector edition, and French Manga releases.

Considering buying the Norwegian dragon ball manga edition from Outland for my 7 year old daughter as it's good and she's good enough to read now! (I got them from the library to read and we love to read it together, I do the male voices, she the female voices!)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:23 am

samuraix123 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:47 pm I own it, too much. haha :lol: Jeez where do I even begin? I mean, the easy answer is to say everything that relates to the series? but a more detailed answer would be,

All of Funimation's original Dragonball Blue Brick sets.

Funimation's Dragonball movie pack.

The original Pioneer DVD boxsets of Ocean

All of Funimation's Ultimate Uncut DVDs.

All of the Funimation's Dragonball Z Dragonboxes.

the new Funimation 30th set.

Jesus, it's still going haha

both Level sets Blurays

Okay, Now this is where it gets tricky, For kai I have the Yamamotto versions so parts 1 and 2 on Bluray, parts 3 and 4 burned on DVD,(had em legit at 1 time and sold them because I wasn't into Kai anymore) I have the Japanese broadcast of Kai(which I enjoy watching and am watching now) episodes 1-98? I believe? and that's stored on a flashdrive for now. haha

Two versions of Dragonball Dragonboxes burned on DVD, 1 is subbed, the other is dubbed the only bad thing about it is the opening and closing credits aren't attached to the files and the NEP were removed. it sucks. I wished I had a either a real release or a better way to get it because I love the Dragonboxes, but it is what it is? atleast I can enjoy it anytime.

All of Funimation's Original bilingual DVD releases of Z and GT Movies. and the thing about some of those were, Coolers Revenge for the dubs music, on the newer Steel and bluray releases, the audio starts and stops in places that it shouldn't compared to the original DVD release and Honestly, it angers me at how Funimations just didn''t give a crap about it on the newer releases and as far as I know, it was never fixed ever. so...I fixed it myself with both the Dragonbox Coolers Revenge and their Remastered crap. so yay...Funimation..a hick from the sticks had to do the job your big company wouldn't/couldn't do. :shh: :thumbdown:

All of the Steelbooks of Z (I gave a lot of them away to my brother for free)
Almost all of the movies on Bluray
Dragonbox the Movies, burned on DVD
I used to have all of the Orange Bricks then gave them all away to my friend Michael.
I used to own all of the 16x9 Bluray sets but after I got my 30th set and completed my Dragonboxes, they were nothing to me so I gave em away to my brother.
For GT I own God....it all. LOL All of Funimation's DVD Singles of it plus the special.
Dragonbox GT which is an exact replica with Menu's and stuff burned on DVD, the only difference is it has subs added too it.
the Green Funimation DVD sets.
Obviously the last 3 new movies on Bluray plus the Japanese collectors edition of Battle of Gods Bluray boxset
ummm...Jesus. haha Okay here, this will make it faster. Anything odd like that Bardock special and Plan to eradicate the Super Saiyans Remake I have burned off on DVD. I have the original plan to eradicate the super saiyans DBOX subbed DVD ISO
Yo! Son Goku and Friends return burned subbed ISO
I'm about to burn off Looking back at it all year end special review on DVD that's not got all the Youtube writing and stuff all over it. and off the top of my head that's the best I can explain it all haha this triggered the heck! out of my anxiety haha :lol: :lol: :lol:
EDIT - Forgot that I own all of Super on Bluray. haha
EDIT Again - I forgot The One Piece X DBZ X Toriko Special burned as well(you better shut your face I love Toriko hahaha)

I'm not gonna go into the VHS stuff I have because that would kill me. God, it'd be bad. lol I can tell you this much, I have for Toonami broadcasts alone over 100 recordings of it on vhs and it sucks storing it to keep them safe. and a lot of those include DBZ marathons, Kai Marathons, just this and that. haha there for a while I was recording Toonami every Weekend. lol

You should digitize your VHS'!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:30 am

I have VIZ's tonkoubon box sets for the original 42 volume manga (split into DB & DBZ, of course).

I have Funi's DB Blue Bricks and their recent DBZ Steelbooks.

Then I have a few other odds and ends like the Pioneer releases of DBZ movies 1-3 and a couple other gems.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:04 pm

Well, let's see...

Manga
- Dragon Ball Kanzenban 1-34 (JP)
-Dragon Ball Super 1-14 (JP)
-Jaco Kanzenban

Anime
-Dragonbox Z Vol. 1 (JP)
-Dragonbox Z Vol. 2 (JP)
-Dragonbox The Movies
-JSAT special (from the limited BOG set)
-Battle of Gods Standard Blu-ray (JP)
-Resurrection F Standard Blu-ray (JP)
-Broly Standard Blu-ray (JP)

Note: (I actually bought 3 empty double sided blu-ray cases and the standard JP releases of the new movies, just so I could put the limited edition discs in there to save space. :lol:)
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:39 am

CashmanX wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:04 pm Well, let's see...

Manga
- Dragon Ball Kanzenban 1-34 (JP)
-Dragon Ball Super 1-14 (JP)
-Jaco Kanzenban

Anime
-Dragonbox Z Vol. 1 (JP)
-Dragonbox Z Vol. 2 (JP)
-Dragonbox The Movies
-JSAT special (from the limited BOG set)
-Battle of Gods Standard Blu-ray (JP)
-Resurrection F Standard Blu-ray (JP)
-Broly Standard Blu-ray (JP)

Note: (I actually bought 3 empty double sided blu-ray cases and the standard JP releases of the new movies, just so I could put the limited edition discs in there to save space. :lol:)
That reminds me, I have bog, resurrection f, broly, the newest bardock special, and plan to eridicate the super saiyans on bd (all French kaze releases) . And the jsat special on DVD in addition to dragon box the movies.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:27 am

I own all them 720p downloaded :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:55 am

Vijay wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:27 am I own all them 720p downloaded :lol:
And you're saying that here?

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:15 am

sangofe wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:55 am
Vijay wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:27 am I own all them 720p downloaded :lol:
And you're saying that here?
ROFL 🤣 just for fun. It's always fun to thrust most unexpected things at most unexpected moments 😂 I own DBZ DVD's of all 9 seasons, OVA/Specials/movies & DB & GT with all their movies/specials/ along with collection of manga...you get it.. tired..just got back from work

I owned them about a decade ago. But y'know. Times change. As do ppl. So opted for digital instead of inserting DVD's to my player to watch it in TV or in computer/laptop.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:03 pm

FUNi DBZ Season 3
FUNi DBZ Dragon Boxes 1, 3-7
FUNi Fusion Reborn single DVD
FUNi Wrath of the Dragon single DVD
FUNi Battle of Gods DVD
FUNi Super: Broly Blu-Ray

Not much to say for me. I refused to get in the single disc game for a series as long as Dragon Ball and one look at the early orange brick DVDs I figured I could wait for a later release. Naturally in exchange I fail to grab DBox 2 despite being right here on DaizEx when it was suspected it would go out of stock first. Still deciding how to go about the pre-Z anime after waiting so long for a better release that now isn't coming. I'm in no rush to buy the manga, the Viz Full Colors are really pretty though...
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:44 pm

Manga:

VIZBigs 9 volumes covering the complete DB manga.
I am pretty happy with the release, although i had to demand a new copy of three volumes, because they basically completely fell apart after turning the pages once or twice (binding issues).

Anime:

DBZ Orange Brick full DVD set all 9 seasons (I regret i haven't bought the blu-ray-release though).
DB: i am basically waiting for a blu-ray release, but it appears to be a pretty long wait.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:05 pm

I have the Blue Bricks for Dragon Ball

and then for Z..

The entire series on VHS singles
The 30th Anniversary blu ray
All of the movie double feature blu rays
Battle of Gods blu ray

And that’s it. I don’t particularly care enough to physically own GT or Super. Honestly, the singles take up a lot of space, and on multiple occasions I’ve flirted with the idea of selling them
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:26 am

The best way you can own the series, through fans hard work of attaining the correct audio and subs and muxing it together with a semi corrected DB Box footage. Any other way is just silly.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:13 pm

Aim wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:26 am The best way you can own the series, through fans hard work of attaining the correct audio and subs and muxing it together with a semi corrected DB Box footage. Any other way is just silly.

While I agree this is the best way to view it, if that's the only way you have the series you don't "own" it.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:11 pm

sangofe wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:13 pm
Aim wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:26 am The best way you can own the series, through fans hard work of attaining the correct audio and subs and muxing it together with a semi corrected DB Box footage. Any other way is just silly.

While I agree this is the best way to view it, if that's the only way you have the series you don't "own" it.
Can’t say you’re incorrect.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:58 am

Manga:
Viz's full colors ( hopefully they continue one day).

Anime
DB- FUNi Saga DvDs, Blue Bricks
Z - Level sets, US DBoxes
GT - Singles(In the 4 box sets), Green Bricks
Kai - Blu ray parts for 1.0, and Final chapters
Super - The 10 parts on blu ray

Movies / Specials
Funimation double feature Blu rays + BoG/RoF/ Broly steelbook
USB with Toei remasters of all movies and specials.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:34 am

I guess I'll be silly, then?

Like really I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if you really think "just buy the damn discs and watch the show" is legitimately beneath you.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:44 am

Kendamu wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:34 am
I guess I'll be silly, then?

Like really I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if you really think "just buy the damn discs and watch the show" is legitimately beneath you.

It’s mostly just ironic saying it’s silly to not own one of the most expensive means of legally owning the series, and then going through the trouble of semi-correcting the footage and mixing in correct audio.

Why must be so extra? I’ll sooner own the Blue Bricks and Orange Bricks.

And it will be a cold day in hell before I own the orange bricks

And a slightly warmer but still may need a sweater day in hell before I own the blue bricks.