Would you have liked more female or feminine looking namekians?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Would you have liked more female or feminine looking namekians?

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:17 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:07 pm Well Ratchet & Clank doesn't have any humans. I don't even think humans exist in that universe.
That wasn't why I brought it up. R&C is an example of a franchise that has a wide variety of races, but also has a handful that are front and center, most prominently the Lombaxes. Thus if you wanted to only lightly convey a queer storyline (aka chicken out on it), you wouldn't make them a Lombax, you'd make them one of the minor side-races like whatever the heck Skidd McMarxx is, who never play a prominent role in the core story.

Another fantastic example is Star Wars. It has so many races that it's incredibly easy to tell such a storyline with one of the more alien races. But as Julie is emphasizing, that obscures the point with metaphors and not having them be humans, who are easily the more common race in that universe. It's a little bit like how Chewbacca gets extremely little characterization in the movies because he's a walking carpet who speaks a language the audience can't understand, while someone like Lando gets a full arc in five scenes across two movies.

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:18 pm

Most tame female namekian I found on google. Yeah I guess it could work.
We the ones

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:22 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:36 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:13 pm The Outcast was riddled with a lot of issues. It was supposed to be about homosexuality but wound up becoming about gender because of Berman's homophobia. Of course, this is a prime example of the sort of shit I just take a heavy sigh over. Treating GNC and trans people like we're some mythical, high-concept subject for a sci-fi when we have literally existed since the beginning of time is just insulting.
Like I said, 1992.
Okay? Not an excuse? Transphobia in the media isn't over?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:49 pm

Would've liked to see few of them...

Considering how even barbaric Saiyans, Ruffles, Earthlings, even Kaios & Kaioshin's got female...Namekians are generally good-ppl. So it wud be nice to have few female Namekians...my opinion...

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:47 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:22 pm
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:36 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:13 pm The Outcast was riddled with a lot of issues. It was supposed to be about homosexuality but wound up becoming about gender because of Berman's homophobia. Of course, this is a prime example of the sort of shit I just take a heavy sigh over. Treating GNC and trans people like we're some mythical, high-concept subject for a sci-fi when we have literally existed since the beginning of time is just insulting.
Like I said, 1992.
Okay? Not an excuse? Transphobia in the media isn't over?
I was just saying it was fairly good for its time compared to other stuff around the same time period.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:59 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:17 pm
Melee_Sovereign wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:07 pm Well Ratchet & Clank doesn't have any humans. I don't even think humans exist in that universe.
That wasn't why I brought it up. R&C is an example of a franchise that has a wide variety of races, but also has a handful that are front and center, most prominently the Lombaxes. Thus if you wanted to only lightly convey a queer storyline (aka chicken out on it), you wouldn't make them a Lombax, you'd make them one of the minor side-races like whatever the heck Skidd McMarxx is, who never play a prominent role in the core story.

Another fantastic example is Star Wars. It has so many races that it's incredibly easy to tell such a storyline with one of the more alien races. But as Julie is emphasizing, that obscures the point with metaphors and not having them be humans, who are easily the more common race in that universe. It's a little bit like how Chewbacca gets extremely little characterization in the movies because he's a walking carpet who speaks a language the audience can't understand, while someone like Lando gets a full arc in five scenes across two movies.
For franchises like R&C that don't have humans, I don't think the problem is making a species that aren't the main species trans. It's making a species, that seems so esoterically different from humans, or anything in the human-like category, trans.

Even though Skidd McMarxx isn't a Lombax, there's nothing less human-like about him than any Lombax. R&C is a lot like, say, Spongebob in this regard. Spongebob is a sponge, Patrick is a starfish, and you have crabs, lobsters, squids and fish. But in that universe, they're all just "people". They're all in the "human-like" category, and they're all just a substitution of humans. But you also have species in Spongebob that aren't human-like, such as the jellyfish. Making Skidd McMarxx trans would be like making, say, Larry the Lobster trans, because he's among the "human-like" aliens in that franchise.

I think it becomes "chickening out" when not only you make a different species trans (assuming there's no humans to begin with), but when that different species is already so unhuman-like from every other species in the franchise, which would imply that "trans" is something intrinsic to that species alone.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:53 pm

Unlike some, I don't care about everything getting represented. Just give me good characters and that's it.

Around more than ten years ago, I wanted female saiyans. Not a fan of the two that we got.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:27 pm

Peach wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:23 pm I get that they're an asexual species, but it does make me a little sad that the namekians are all male or masculine looking. More diversity is always a good thing. The Namek saga is lacking female representation...
They should look something in between or androgynous.