Would you have liked more female or feminine looking namekians?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Would you have liked more female or feminine looking namekians?

Post by KBABZ » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:04 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:47 pm I mean, it would be kind of interesting to have see that done back then but as we know in universe Namekians are asexual and reproduce via eggs from the mouth like Piccolo Daimao. Then again, given how different looking they are and all i'm not too surprised that Toriyama made it to where there are only males of the species both full grown and children.
Also not out of the question for it to be a Dragon Ball wish, although to do so now would be akin to wishing Kibitokai back into his component selves; it'd be very clearly a fix just for the sake of it rather than for anything meaningful.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:30 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:38 pm
Melee_Sovereign wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:54 am
PurestEvil wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:40 am How would a namekian of human-female features look like? If it is an asexual species, then they won't have mammary sexual organs or features, so the only distinguishing factor in the appearance must come from the facial complexion. Maybe flatter eyebrow muscles? I'm not even sure if it could work...
They would have a female body shape (wider hips and narrower shoulders) [...]
But it wouldn't make much sense? Namekians are asexual creatures, they should not have sexual dimorphism.
Well the variation of morphology in Namekians could be more seemless than what you see in humans. The morphology could range from highly feminine looking, to androgenous, to highly masculine looking with everything in-between. While there's fairly a range in this in humans, there's still a clear line. That line wouldn't have to exist in Namekians.

Or it can just be a case of non-sexual dimorphism. i.e. a form of dimorphism that serves some evolutionary advantage that doesn't have to do with sexual reproduction.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:06 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:30 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:38 pm
Melee_Sovereign wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:54 am

They would have a female body shape (wider hips and narrower shoulders) [...]
But it wouldn't make much sense? Namekians are asexual creatures, they should not have sexual dimorphism.
Well the variation of morphology in Namekians could be more seemless than what you see in humans. The morphology could range from highly feminine looking, to androgenous, to highly masculine looking with everything in-between. While there's fairly a range in this in humans, there's still a clear line. That line wouldn't have to exist in Namekians.

Or it can just be a case of non-sexual dimorphism. i.e. a form of dimorphism that serves some evolutionary advantage that doesn't have to do with sexual reproduction.
If that is the case, then gender should not be inherent in it anyways
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:22 pm

Femboy Namekians when?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:33 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:06 pm
If that is the case, then gender should not be inherent in it anyways
Why not? We're talking about an alien species. You certainly could have a (fictional) alien species that has a form of dimorphism that resembles human sexual dimorphism, but the morphology doesn't serve a sexual reproductive function (it may serve some other function).

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:53 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:22 pm Femboy Namekians when?
I could see a flamboyant Zarbon-like Namekian being a possibility.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:50 pm

I was going to say there could also be Namekians who identify as female. I didnt know femboy wasnt a slur.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:06 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:50 pm
I was going to say there could also be Namekians who identify as female. I didnt know femboy wasnt a slur.
It's not a slur if the person identifies as one. I for one do not identify as a femboy but plenty of trans people and cis men do. It's basically an even more genderqueer take on the twink aesthetic.
She/Her
bisexual milf

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:36 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:50 pm I was going to say there could also be Namekians who identify as female.
That'd be a heck of a concept. A Namekian on Earth at the end of the Namek Arc discovers the entire concept of "female" and realizes they identify as one, in a male-only society.

Not exactly a story suited for your typical Dragon Ball storyline!

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:01 am

Y'know, when BoG was announced, I was sort of hoping that Whis was going to be an agender or otherwise more gender ambiguous character judging from his design (a lot of feminine attributes like long eyelashes, lipstick, long painted nails etc). I think his design is one of the coolest in Dragon Ball while also being very androgynous (I think this another reason I'm such a big fan of Freeza's design); I thought it would have been appropriate for the highest of gods to not really have a concept of gender like that. Obviously he was then referred to with he/him pronouns, and then it turns out he has many brothers and sisters and even a father, lol.

Not that that's really a criticism, it was just something I personally would have liked to see.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:09 am

KBABZ wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:36 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:50 pm I was going to say there could also be Namekians who identify as female.
That'd be a heck of a concept. A Namekian on Earth at the end of the Namek Arc discovers the entire concept of "female" and realizes they identify as one, in a male-only society.

Not exactly a story suited for your typical Dragon Ball storyline!
It's hardly a bad idea. Dragon Ball has such a wide-reach that there are bound to be trans kids watching. A simple, nonchalant "Oh, I'm a girl, actually" would suffice. I would be upset if the trans character were Namekian, though. Casting trans characters as aliens just others us and I do not care for that.

The only other solution? Trans Kuririn.
She/Her
bisexual milf

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:45 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:09 am It's hardly a bad idea. Dragon Ball has such a wide-reach that there are bound to be trans kids watching. A simple, nonchalant "Oh, I'm a girl, actually" would suffice. I would be upset if the trans character were Namekian, though. Casting trans characters as aliens just others us and I do not care for that.
To be fair the faces of the franchise are predominantly aliens and any relevant Dragon Ball character wouldn't be human, but I see your point (Saiyans look human anyway). The thing I was going for was the "all male" race being a metaphor for today's male-dominated culture, or something.

My idea is a neat idea for a character, but when I was shooting it down I was more thinking of it a proper story arc going on for this character as they discover themselves. Because it wouldn't involve too much fighting, I don't think you could do it as or within your typical Dragon Ball story. It wouldn't have Goku in it and the world isn't at stake!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:45 am

KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:45 am
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:09 am It's hardly a bad idea. Dragon Ball has such a wide-reach that there are bound to be trans kids watching. A simple, nonchalant "Oh, I'm a girl, actually" would suffice. I would be upset if the trans character were Namekian, though. Casting trans characters as aliens just others us and I do not care for that.
To be fair the faces of the franchise are predominantly aliens and any relevant Dragon Ball character wouldn't be human, but I see your point (Saiyans look human anyway). The thing I was going for was the "all male" race being a metaphor for today's male-dominated culture, or something.

My idea is a neat idea for a character, but when I was shooting it down I was more thinking of it a proper story arc going on for this character as they discover themselves. Because it wouldn't involve too much fighting, I don't think you could do it as or within your typical Dragon Ball story. It wouldn't have Goku in it and the world isn't at stake!
I mean, as a marginalized person--the type to be turned into a gutless metaphor by mainstream fiction--I just don't care for metaphors and find them frankly insulting. Progress has to be forced through amd seeing a metaphor for a person like me no matter the year is just...ugh. It bugs the hell out me that this happened in Supergirl, too. Nichole Maines' character, Nia, is an alien. :|
She/Her
bisexual milf

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:13 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:45 am I mean, as a marginalized person--the type to be turned into a gutless metaphor by mainstream fiction--I just don't care for metaphors and find them frankly insulting. Progress has to be forced through amd seeing a metaphor for a person like me no matter the year is just...ugh. It bugs the hell out me that this happened in Supergirl, too. Nichole Maines' character, Nia, is an alien. :|
Ahh, yeah I understand how that can be frustrating for you.

When it comes to something like Dragon Ball, where the principle characters aren't humans (or other, more obvious examples like Ratchet & Clank or even Transformers), would it be more important for this sort of character to be human, or is it better to have them be one of the primary races the audience identifies with the work? (Saiyans, Lombaxes, Cybertronians, etc)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:16 am

KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:13 am
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:45 am I mean, as a marginalized person--the type to be turned into a gutless metaphor by mainstream fiction--I just don't care for metaphors and find them frankly insulting. Progress has to be forced through amd seeing a metaphor for a person like me no matter the year is just...ugh. It bugs the hell out me that this happened in Supergirl, too. Nichole Maines' character, Nia, is an alien. :|

When it comes to something like Dragon Ball, where the principle characters aren't humans (or other, more obvious examples like Ratchet & Clank or even Transformers), would it be more important for this sort of character to be human, or is it better to have them be one of the primary races the audience identifies with the work? (Saiyans, Lombaxes, Cybertronians, etc)
I don't see why not both. I believe such a character should be human, though, if we're stuck with just one.
She/Her
bisexual milf

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:04 am

So basically the Asari? :P

To answer the question, not really? outside of the Daimao arc, a Namekian's appearance really doesn't factor in the story, and when it comes to my preferences and attraction, I never really cared for the Namekians in that way.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:52 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:45 am

There was a Star Trek TNG episode with a premise sort of like that.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Th ... _(episode)

It has its fair share of problems but it was pretty progressive for its time (1992).
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:13 pm

The Outcast was riddled with a lot of issues. It was supposed to be about homosexuality but wound up becoming about gender because of Berman's homophobia. Of course, this is a prime example of the sort of shit I just take a heavy sigh over. Treating GNC and trans people like we're some mythical, high-concept subject for a sci-fi when we have literally existed since the beginning of time is just insulting.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:36 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:13 pm The Outcast was riddled with a lot of issues. It was supposed to be about homosexuality but wound up becoming about gender because of Berman's homophobia. Of course, this is a prime example of the sort of shit I just take a heavy sigh over. Treating GNC and trans people like we're some mythical, high-concept subject for a sci-fi when we have literally existed since the beginning of time is just insulting.
Like I said, 1992.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:07 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:13 am

Well Ratchet & Clank doesn't have any humans. I don't even think humans exist in that universe.