Would you Have Auditioned for Super?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Would you Have Auditioned for Super?

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:51 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:18 am
I think it has a lot to do with the director. I look at Ocean and even though a lot of them were also amateurs when they started working on Dragon Ball Z, I don't think they ever sounded like amateurs
That’s because none of them were actually amateurs. They all had pretty much done voice acting before Dragon Ball Z some of them had live action roles too. With the Funimation cast (at least the initial 1999 cast) it was literally their first acting job outside of some of them doing community theater work.

Maybe a few of the Ocean actors hadn’t done much work before DBZ but it was hardly comparable to the Funimation Studios cast
. I look at a project like Batman The Animated Series, where lots of the talent was inexperienced in voice work, but they created something special
It helped that the people behind Batman TAS didn’t approach the show as a Saturday Morning Cartoon the same way Funimation/Ocean did with Dragon Ball Z. They wanted “voices with character” instead of cartoon voices. Contrast the Funimation cast none of whom had voice acting experience (or much acting experience in general) being told to imitate the Ocean cast (along other just bizarre directing choices) and yeaaah.

. That's because they had great directing as opposed to when Funimation went in-house and they clearly had poor directing.
It was a mixture of general inexperienced with voice acting combined with the direction being “imitate the Vancouver cast as much as possible” and other downright mind boggling decisions with the direction like Stephanie Nadolny being directed to make Gohan, a 6-11 year old boy when she was voicing him
, sound like “Clint Eastwood”

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:39 pm

I honestly think the only modern dub that still has poor voice acting and music/soundtrack replacement is the Pokemon anime. And that's only because they know they can get away with it since young kids don't care enough and older fans are a minority or age out of the show. The Pokemon anime still replaces the music with bland dub music in every episode, and it's absurd this is still happening since the Japanese soundtrack is excellent. And of course there are no legal subs of Pokemon in the west at all, just fansubs.

Pokemon is probably the only anime where it's treated like it's still 1999 and they pretend the Japanese version doesn't exist, with poor voices and music/soundtrack replacement.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:55 pm

precita wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:39 pm . And of course there are no legal subs of Pokemon in the west at all, just fansubs.
Netflix has that CG remake of Pokemon’s first movie in both Japanese and English, although to my understanding the subtitles are just dub titles and also apparently the Japanese version still has the English theme song either because of licensing issues or laziness on Pokemon International’s end.

Still better than nothing for Pokémon fans, I guess.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:09 pm

precita wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:39 pm I honestly think the only modern dub that still has poor voice acting and music/soundtrack replacement is the Pokemon anime. And that's only because they know they can get away with it since young kids don't care enough and older fans are a minority or age out of the show. The Pokemon anime still replaces the music with bland dub music in every episode, and it's absurd this is still happening since the Japanese soundtrack is excellent. And of course there are no legal subs of Pokemon in the west at all, just fansubs.

Pokemon is probably the only anime where it's treated like it's still 1999 and they pretend the Japanese version doesn't exist, with poor voices and music/soundtrack replacement.
I mean, though the OG dub (particularly the first few seasons and movies from Kanto through early/mid Johto) of Pokemon with the 4Kids cast is very near and dear to my heart given i like many others grew up with it watching on TV and video as a child i'd indeed love if the Japanese version was also available here officially subtitled. I've had to make do with fansubs and raw copies floating around out there online, especially in the case of the infamous banned outside of Japan episodes like The Legend of Dratini and Cyber Soldier Porygon. Yeah the show was "Americanized" in digitally painting out text on signs and renaming staple Japanese foods (rice balls to donuts.etc) but early on they actually left in more of Shinji Mikami's score than not and mostly just filling silent moments of scenes with original composed tracks here and there, it was only much later on in the Advanced Generation era as especially with the infamous cast/production change to TPCI in '06 that near entire musical replacement gradually became more common.

I don't get why they they (PUSA/TCPI) are so determined to keep the show in it's original form from our shores, because even with my nostalgia for 4Kids' dub having the JPN voices fully subbed would also be nice as an option. This is one of the few animes AFAIK that is still officially available here dub only.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:30 pm

Unless they bring back General Blue for some reason... Then no, can't act and am not indigenous to Texas.
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:10 pm
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:08 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:49 pm

If little things like acting talent didn’t stop the Funimation cast in 1999 it shouldn’t stop you either.
If I could deliver the next 'Over 9000' or 'Sad for YOU!' I'd be very satisfied with myself.
I’d settle for being this guy https://youtu.be/t7wyidD6mUk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ugj_5dn_Y

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:35 pm

I mean, I am pretty good at pretending to be a man.

But lord, move to Texas to get paid peanuts? Sheesh, I'd rather not. It's also less safe for trans women down there then it is here in WA.

Also, I try to avoid switching back to my deadvoice since it's so painful on my voice so I wouldn't really want to audition for anything that'd force me to lower my voice. :shock:
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:00 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:09 pm
precita wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:39 pm I honestly think the only modern dub that still has poor voice acting and music/soundtrack replacement is the Pokemon anime. And that's only because they know they can get away with it since young kids don't care enough and older fans are a minority or age out of the show. The Pokemon anime still replaces the music with bland dub music in every episode, and it's absurd this is still happening since the Japanese soundtrack is excellent. And of course there are no legal subs of Pokemon in the west at all, just fansubs.

I mean, though the OG dub (particularly the first few seasons and movies from Kanto through early/mid Johto) of Pokemon with the 4Kids cast is very near and dear to my heart given i like many others grew up with it watching on TV and video as a child i'd indeed love if the Japanese version was also available here officially subtitled. I've had to make do with fansubs and raw copies floating around out there online, especially in the case of the infamous banned outside of Japan episodes like The Legend of Dratini and Cyber Soldier Porygon. Yeah the show was "Americanized" in digitally painting out text on signs and renaming staple Japanese foods (rice balls to donuts.etc) but early on they actually left in more of Shinji Mikami's score than not and mostly just filling silent moments of scenes with original composed tracks here and there, it was only much later on in the Advanced Generation era as especially with the infamous cast/production change to TPCI in '06 that near entire musical replacement gradually became more common.

I don't get why they they (PUSA/TCPI) are so determined to keep the show in it's original form from our shores, because even with my nostalgia for 4Kids' dub having the JPN voices fully subbed would also be nice as an option. This is one of the few animes AFAIK that is still officially available here dub only.
I think the voice-acting in Pokemon TCPI era is fine, it started out kinda rough but I eventually got used to it, but I too grew up with the 4Kids dub so those voices will always hold a special place for me that the new cast just can't replicate, and yes I hate the fact that they now replace more of the original background music then ever and it is truly baffling that there's no official way to watch the original version on western shores.

As for whether i'd do voice-acting in Super, no thanks. After seeing how ill-prepared Texas was to deal with a winter storm(thanks to their state governments stupid insistence on most of the state not connecting to the national power grid that EVERY other lower-48 state uses) there's no way in a million years i'm going to risk living there(not to mention the risk of hurricanes) no matter how enticing of a job i'm offered.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:13 am

Planetnamek wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:00 am

I think the voice-acting in Pokemon TCPI era is fine, it started out kinda rough but I eventually got used to it, but I too grew up with the 4Kids dub so those voices will always hold a special place for me that the new cast just can't replicate, and yes I hate the fact that they now replace more of the original background music then ever and it is truly baffling that there's no official way to watch the original version on western shores.

As for whether i'd do voice-acting in Super, no thanks. After seeing how ill-prepared Texas was to deal with a winter storm(thanks to their state governments stupid insistence on most of the state not connecting to the national power grid that EVERY other lower-48 state uses) there's no way in a million years i'm going to risk living there(not to mention the risk of hurricanes) no matter how enticing of a job i'm offered.
True, the TCPI VA's are decent and definitely have improved over time (compare Sarah Natochenny from the last few years to when she first started as Ash back in Battle Frontier, it's a night and day difference) though ultimately the 4Kids cast will always be my personal beloved favorites by far. Agreed about the music thing, as the latter seemed to be much better about it in the early seasons with mostly just replacing vocal songs but leaving the vast majority of the background score more or less intact and just adding tracks to fill gaps of silence.

It does indeed suck that the series and movies subbed in Japanese isn't available here officially, and i would be fine with having them separately even if they can't be synced up with the dub bilingually due to all the paint edits and other cuts that 4Kids made to the episodes back in the day.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:19 pm

Only if I didn't have to move. While I could see myself moving to a neighboring state for a job, I wouldn't want to move all the way to Texas.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:10 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:13 am

True, the TCPI VA's are decent and definitely have improved over time (compare Sarah Natochenny from the last few years to when she first started as Ash back in Battle Frontier, it's a night and day difference) though ultimately the 4Kids cast will always be my personal beloved favorites by far. Agreed about the music thing, as the latter seemed to be much better about it in the early seasons with mostly just replacing vocal songs but leaving the vast majority of the background score more or less intact and just adding tracks to fill gaps of silence.

It does indeed suck that the series and movies subbed in Japanese isn't available here officially, and i would be fine with having them separately even if they can't be synced up with the dub bilingually due to all the paint edits and other cuts that 4Kids made to the episodes back in the day.
For the most part a lot of the new voices aren't great either. Ash and Team Rocket are the only old characters around (Misty/Brock rarely show up), so there aren't really any old characters to compare them to anymore. Back in the earlier seasons people wrongly assumed Misty/Brock or May would be around a lot longer than they were, but instead Misty wound up being a short-lived character in the series and Brock left a decade ago too. And all the new cast from DP onward are new characters. It's actually kinda funny when you stop to realize its been literally 20 years since Misty left the Pokemon anime. Entire generations of kids grew up watching the show long after she's gone, and most of the current fanbase on pokemon forums, twitter, reddit, etc. don't seem to care for her much since they didn't grow up with her.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:19 pm

precita wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:10 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:13 am

For the most part a lot of the new voices aren't great either. Ash and Team Rocket are the only old characters around (Misty/Brock rarely show up), so there aren't really any old characters to compare them to anymore. Back in the earlier seasons people wrongly assumed Misty/Brock or May would be around a lot longer than they were, but instead Misty wound up being a short-lived character in the series and Brock left a decade ago too. And all the new cast from DP onward are new characters. It's actually kinda funny when you stop to realize its been literally 20 years since Misty left the Pokemon anime. Entire generations of kids grew up watching the show long after she's gone, and most of the current fanbase on pokemon forums, twitter, reddit, etc. don't seem to care for her much since they didn't grow up with her.
Indeed, given that Misty/Kasumi was only in the group as a main character from Kanto to Johto (five years between the English and Japanese runs respectively) and has since only received sporadic appearances every once in a great while (Chronicles.etc) and same with Tracey Sketchit/Kenji who was only part of the group with Brock's ultimately short lived departure during the Orange Islands arc and since shown up as Prof. Oak's helper from time to time.

Most younger fans these days (within the last decade) won't really know them or May and Max for that matter. Compare that to those around my age who was around for the original trio.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:44 am

I actually was in talks to audtion for a small, extra, one line role on Super during the ToP, but things fell through.

I wish they hadn't, but that's the way the news goes!

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:16 pm

If nothing else, I would've loved to apply for an ADR Writer position. I have an English degree and ADR Writing is actually something I'm interested in, but I'm not sure how one goes about getting such a position without already being a Voice Actor (they seem to wear many hats in the anime dubbing scene, after all).
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:57 am

OmegaRockman wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:16 pm If nothing else, I would've loved to apply for an ADR Writer position. I have an English degree and ADR Writing is actually something I'm interested in, but I'm not sure how one goes about getting such a position without already being a Voice Actor (they seem to wear many hats in the anime dubbing scene, after all).
Wasn’t that Jared Hedges dude, who was like the ADR writer for I feel like every episode of the Super dub, only a writer?

There is hope for you my guy.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:10 am

A few people have mentioned the issues with moving to Texas, but I don't think that was a big issue for Super because of their capacity to record remotely. Isn't Sean Schemmel himself based in LA these days? I know Matt Mercer and Patrick Seitz are.

The regionalism of voice acting is interesting to me. The biggest stuff is in LA, which covers everything from big animated projects to video games to certain anime dubs, and it's where people have to eventually go to make it big, or at least as big as you can get in voice acting.

Then you've got Texas, which does the bulk of anime dubs through Funimation and also has a bit of a web scene through Rooster Teeth- it's scab central in other words. Then you have New York, which was the biggest of the bunch in the 4Kids hey-day, but these days seems to be a dead zone. I think Pokemon and Yugioh are still dubbed out that way, but that's about it, isn't it? And Canada has it's own thing as well- they do a lot of children's animation I believe.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:21 am

I think I'd have an existential crisis if I found myself working for Funimation but it would be interesting being behind the scenes at the very least. I don't think anyone should aspire to work there as a voice actor other than a starting opportunity as they apparently don't pay actors very much (unless you're one of the old guard who stuck around from the Z days or, presumably some sort of convention darling) plus I've never really seen myself living in Texas. If I could work my way up to a director or casting person I think I would enjoy doing that way more as I've always found Funi's decisions in those areas to be questionable a lot of the time.

Even though I have some fandubbing experience I've never pursued voiceover seriously, especially with the lack of opportunities outside of NA. I suppose if there were online auditions I would try out for the fuck of it but I wouldn't go out of my way since my enthusiasm for Super is almost non-existent. Now if it were an alternate dub on the other hand, without the Funimation baggage, then I'd be way more interested.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:53 pm

i saw the thread title and i was like, "you'd have to pay me to work for funimation" and then it dawned on me how stupid of a thought process that was. anyway probably not for a whole bunch of reasons, i don't like funimation as a company, i have a weird and broad vocal pitch but the cadence and tone of my voice is bad for something like voice acting and i can't really change it, and honestly ? i wouldn't really wanna work full time for something i love, like a small youtube channel or a blog where i could talk about db would be cool but actually working on the Series itself...probably would make me lose a bit of love for it.
Last edited by Soppa Saia People on Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:08 pm

Relocating to a country with unaffordable healthcare? Nah, wouldn't have auditioned for that.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:21 pm

I hate how USA centric this discussions can get. Neo, you DO know that there is a LATIN AMERICAN dub and that Funimation isnt the center of the world? Unless you meant Mexico instead of the USA.
I wouldnt do it myself, I HATE the sound of my voice and I cant act for shit. And please dont say "WELL FUNIMATION" I dont have anything to do with them.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:43 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:21 pm I hate how USA centric this discussions can get. Neo, you DO know that there is a LATIN AMERICAN dub and that Funimation isnt the center of the world? Unless you meant Mexico instead of the USA.
I’m sure Neo knows this. But he was responding to the the very first post of the thread which said

Since most folks here were adults after the new movies came out, if money wasn't an obstacle and you could relocate to Texas for the time when the recording started, would anyone here have auditioned for Dragon Ball Super's dub?