Would you Have Auditioned for Super?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Would you Have Auditioned for Super?

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:18 pm

Apologize if this belongs more in the Super Section, but thought I'd ask guys here since it's kind of a general question. Since most folks here were adults after the new movies came out, if money wasn't an obstacle and you could relocate to Texas for the time when the recording started, would anyone here have auditioned for Dragon Ball Super's dub? Myself, yeah if I had the cash. Heck, could've opened to more roles as well. But that's me. Figured with a lot of guys thinking dub could be better, would you put foot forward to do so?

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Re: Would you Have Auditioned for Super?

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:44 pm

Absolutely. I'd even work for free.
We the ones

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:08 pm

Sure, I could- Oh, you mean as a voice actress? Nope, no way. I do not have talent for that kind of thing. My ESL-ness would probably kick in hard, too, so it'd sound both odd and off.
Bandai, hit me up if you need ideas or designs for Dragon Ball Heroes, because I can do that. I'd whip up Starlight Mission no problem.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:46 pm

I can't act, so no. I wouldn't want to further taint the quality of Super.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:49 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:46 pm I can't act, so no
If little things like acting talent didn’t stop the Funimation cast in 1999 it shouldn’t stop you either.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:08 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:49 pm
If little things like acting talent didn’t stop the Funimation cast in 1999 it shouldn’t stop you either.
If I could deliver the next 'Over 9000' or 'Sad for YOU!' I'd be very satisfied with myself.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:10 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:08 pm
If I could deliver the next 'Over 9000' or 'Sad for YOU!' I'd be very satisfied with myself.
I’d settle for being this guy https://youtu.be/t7wyidD6mUk

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:21 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:10 pm

LOL that line delivery was laughably bad, but then again that was par for the course in Season 3.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:47 am

LOL no. I would not touch Funimation with a ten foot pole.
I for one would have like to audition for the AB Groupe dubs.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:00 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:10 pm

Oh my god. That's one of the funniest readings I've ever heard, even including the big green and malaysian dubs. He sounds like he didn't want to wake any of his roommates up while recording his lines.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:53 am

I wouldn't want to be part of dub that isn't my primary language as obviously i wouldn't sound properly.
But i'd like to be part of polish dub of DBS which was the first dub we ever got except for two DBZ movies. I'd do it for free if it was a minor role.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:06 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:53 am I wouldn't want to be part of dub that isn't my primary language as obviously i wouldn't sound properly.
But i'd like to be part of polish dub of DBS which was the first dub we ever got except for two DBZ movies. I'd do it for free if it was a minor role.
Yeah, me too. I don't like Super but I'd love to be a part of the polish dub (I'm kinda interested in everything that concerns around our dub, not only DB) and somehow to be a part of the whole DB franchise.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:31 am

Eh.

I don't think that you have to move to Texas to do this. They can book a local studio for you to go into and just digitally relieve the audio file as they direct through a virtual app.

I don't even know if they hold auditions at this point. They seem to have a full internal staff that even if they do have readings for the part, seems like they'd just hold them internally.

Otherwise, I wouldn't have the nerve to audition as a voice actor. I wouldn't presume that I can just step into a booth and do it. I'd be much more comfortable auditioning for an on-screen role.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:28 pm

I hate the sound of my own voice, so no. I also can't act at all.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:53 pm

Most definitely. Would be an honour to work on an official Dragon Ball product, even if it was for free, especially in this day and age where you don't have to live in the region it's being recorded in.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:30 pm

To dub it? Nah. But if I hit a chance to be a writer for it somehow then hell yeah

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:47 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:53 pm Most definitely. Would be an honour to work on an official Dragon Ball product, even if it was for free, especially in this day and age where you don't have to live in the region it's being recorded in.
You say that now, but give it a few weeks of you standing in a booth going over the same line over and over and then someone halts recording and then someone doesn't doesn't break for lunch on time and then someone holds you over late but wants you to still show up "on time" the next day. This is why every actor has had a "diva" moment. Though, granted, it's a lot worse for live-action, but still. You can't be doing these things for free; you need to value yourself.

It's like that with anything in life -- you can love the experience, but any sort of work is a job and you need to be paid what you're worth and treated what you're worth. You need to set boundaries and let it be known when they're being crossed. You're there to make money, not to do a passion project. You need to set the precedent that your time is valuable. That's what "time is money" is all about.

Just saying.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:24 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:28 pm I hate the sound of my own voice, so no. I also can't act at all.
I have the same problem lol, i can't stand hearing my voice recorded :lol:
TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:47 am You say that now, but give it a few weeks of you standing in a booth going over the same line over and over and then someone halts recording and then someone doesn't doesn't break for lunch on time and then someone holds you over late but wants you to still show up "on time" the next day. This is why every actor has had a "diva" moment. Though, granted, it's a lot worse for live-action, but still. You can't be doing these things for free; you need to value yourself.

It's like that with anything in life -- you can love the experience, but any sort of work is a job and you need to be paid what you're worth and treated what you're worth. You need to set boundaries and let it be known when they're being crossed. You're there to make money, not to do a passion project. You need to set the precedent that your time is valuable. That's what "time is money" is all about.

Just saying.
I agree. Being a voice actor must be a great experience. I personally have a lot of respect for those people and i have some of my favourite polish VAs as well. I'd wish i can be a VA and give other people as many great memories as other VAs gave me in my life. But it's not an easy job. It's like testing video games - plenty of people think that you just play video games and get paid lol. It only sounds so simple. These people have to take care of their voices, repeat the same lines multiple times, master being able to sync their voices with what's going on screen. It's a very rewarding, but also difficult job.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:05 am

Pretty sure voice acting standards to get hired are very different now than back in 1999.

If you look at all modern dubs from Funimation, Viz, etc....none of the voice actors you see hired for current roles sound amateur or poorly acted at all. Standards have really changed.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:18 am

precita wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:05 am
Pretty sure voice acting standards to get hired are very different now than back in 1999.

If you look at all modern dubs from Funimation, Viz, etc....none of the voice actors you see hired for current roles sound amateur or poorly acted at all. Standards have really changed.
I think it has a lot to do with the director. I look at Ocean and even though a lot of them were also amateurs when they started working on Dragon Ball Z, I don't think they ever sounded like amateurs. I look at a project like Batman The Animated Series, where lots of the talent was inexperienced in voice work, but they created something special. That's because they had great directing as opposed to when Funimation went in-house and they clearly had poor directing.