What would you like Dragon Ball to cross-over with?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: What would you like Dragon Ball to cross-over with?

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:40 pm

I think people confuse the dub version of Hiei with being Hiei and being a sort of Vegeta-lite. The original version's Hiei is, well, not an annoying twat.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:58 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:30 pm what is the similarity between hiei and vegeta besides their both short and have spiky hair ?

Both are prideful martial artists whose lives revolve around the continuous strive for power and to be the strongest. Both lived lives that required a "survival of the fittest" mindset. Both are rivals to the main character and take a kill first mentality as opposed to the main character who typically takes a merciful stance in comparison. Both are non-human. Both have had a big fight with the protagonist and a single followup rematch with the main character barely winning the first time and with the rematch ending in a "no contest". Both are always the closest of the supporting cast of allies to the main characters' strength level. Both changed for the better thanks to contact with MC and friends. And of course, you say it as if it doesn't count, but Hiei's design is totally based off of Vegeta's. Of course, Togashi-san changed some stuff around. That's the difference between an homage and a ripoff. I mean, it's all there. To not see it is kinda bizarre. They don't have to be the exact same to be similar.
really hunter x hunter has waaay more in common with dragon ball. it's still not close but the world, usage of characters, and theme (for a while) is in the same realm of something like dragon ball (but again, it's a lot different).
I think YYH and HxH just ran with different aspects of DB and used that to tell different stories. HxH leaned more into the fantasy of early DB but you can see some influence from later arcs in DBZ. YYH basically copied DBZ's power system and fleshed it out some. YYH's afterlife is based on the same source material as what we see during the Saiyan arc of DB. Still, I'm sure the inspiration and implementation came from DB since King Yemma's afterlife in both is a bureaucracy as a parody of the Japanese salaryman's way of life. That's a pretty specific take on that particular folklore.

Where HxH differs is in its willingness to be both more grounded than DB and also even more fanciful at certain points. Even HxH's power system is more fanciful, but that may be due to the influence of Araki's popular Jojo's manga. I still see a lot of DB in HxH, namely the friendship of Goku and Krillin compared to Gon and Killua (the pairs even share the same first initial), but overall YYH seems more like a spinoff of DBZ than HxH ever could.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:00 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:40 pm I think people confuse the dub version of Hiei with being Hiei and being a sort of Vegeta-lite. The original version's Hiei is, well, not an annoying twat.
Hiei shares a key feature with Vegeta tho. Namely that later material tries to pretend he isn't 4'10.

More seriously Hiei is basically what fanfiction depicts Vegeta as being. Sullen and cynical but with a quiet respect for the people around him. So it makes sense to me that fans would want to see them interact.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:31 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:40 pm I think people confuse the dub version of Hiei with being Hiei and being a sort of Vegeta-lite. The original version's Hiei is, well, not an annoying twat.
well i'm in the camp that thinks the YYH dub is just about as bad as the 99 Z dub (it just really butchers yusuke, hiei and especially kuwabara. kurama's decent in the dub but ogata is brought so so sooo much to kurama that burgimier just...lacks.)
BWri wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:58 pm
Soppa Saia People wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:30 pm what is the similarity between hiei and vegeta besides their both short and have spiky hair ?

Both are prideful martial artists whose lives revolve around the continuous strive for power and to be the strongest.
Prideful martial artist can describe like 95 percent of battle shounen characters, and that's not really what hiei's goal is after he becomes a full fledged cast member. his main goal was to murder his own race, and then after yukina gives him her tear thing, he kinda has a existential meltdown and just looks for a reason to die. meanwhile vegeta's entire thing is that he does just wanna be the strongest person in the universe and surpass goku, there's really not a lot more.
Both lived lives that required a "survival of the fittest" mindset. Both are rivals to the main character and take a kill first mentality as opposed to the main character who typically takes a merciful stance in comparison. Both are non-human. Both have had a big fight with the protagonist and a single followup rematch with the main character barely winning the first time and with the rematch ending in a "no contest". Both are always the closest of the supporting cast of allies to the main characters' strength level. Both changed for the better thanks to contact with MC and friends.
i really don't see how hiei and yusuke are rivals, and their certainly not rivals in the way goku and vegeta are. vegeta is the main antagonist of the saiyan arc and stays at that level of antagonist untill near the end of the freeza arc, hiei is a bad guy for 4 chapters and becomes a good guy the next time he appears, and unlike vegeta he really never wavers. even when he "fights" (it's like 5 pages) yusuke in chapter black, he spefically states he's doing it because he wants to test yusuke and relieve his (yusuke's) tension, not for some pride thing. hell on the murder thing, hiei goes out of his way to not kill sniper before he gives yusuke his pep fight, meanwhile vegeta killed like 100 people to fight goku, and as a result created the main antagonist of the arc. also the chapter were yusuke and hiei have their Pep fight debuted at least almost half a year before majin vegeta even showed up, so there's that. and i don't know i'm pretty sure kurama is mostly stated to be the closest to yusuke power wise, his youko form for sure is just straight up stronger, and he seems to take the lead whenever yusukes not around, as well as generally be 2nd in commend. i'll give you the last one but even then, you can say that for every single db and yyh character for the most part.
And of course, you say it as if it doesn't count, but Hiei's design is totally based off of Vegeta's. Of course, Togashi-san changed some stuff around. That's the difference between an homage and a ripoff. I mean, it's all there. To not see it is kinda bizarre. They don't have to be the exact same to be similar.
we know where hiei's design comes from and it's not vegeta, even if togashi did poke fun at the resemblance. (credit to the yyh4ever tumblr),
Image lol ofc its a yaoi character

honestly hiei resembles piccolo more then he does vegeta personality and role wise. it's not very close but almost sorta get it ? but vegeta and hiei are just such a surface level comparison.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:28 pm

Oh, I totally agree. The dub is awful and really makes all the characters less funny because of the shitty edgelord humor. Hiei and Yuusuke are so much more fun in the original because they aren't walking sarcasm bots.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:38 pm

it's especially kinda sad because sasaki has so much nuance in his performances and specific mannerisms that really help yusuke as a character, there's a reason he sounds and talks just like tetuso from akira and it sure as hell isn't because sasaki (pre voice break) lacked range. shigeru chiba did the same thing and togashi straight up even said he understood kuwabara more then he did. it's up there with cowboy bebop (japanese, i really don't like the dub) for my favorite cast in any anime.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:08 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:38 pm it's especially kinda sad because sasaki has so much nuance in his performances and specific mannerisms that really help yusuke as a character, there's a reason he sounds and talks just like tetuso from akira and it sure as hell isn't because sasaki (pre voice break) lacked range. shigeru chiba did the same thing and togashi straight up even said he understood kuwabara more then he did. it's up there with cowboy bebop (japanese, i really don't like the dub) for my favorite cast in any anime.
Same, same, same. Sasaki gave such a preciousness and depth to Yuusuke. You might think at first glance "What a brat!" But his dialogue and delivery really does paint a good-natureness to him that is played very sincerely.

It's the same with Yamadera Kou'ichi's Spike. There's such a controlled and precise level of connection to his character. The whole cast is so good at play low-energy in a controlled--not careless--manner.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:22 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:30 pm
and it's the same with all the yyh and dragon ball comparisons

The similarities between DB and YYH aren't coincidental.

People are recognizing common traits for a reason. It's just a tonal difference, really.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:50 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:22 pm

People are recognizing common traits for a reason. It's just a tonal difference, really.
also from kunzait
YYH would undoubtedly still exist almost exactly the way it did (like SO very many countless other Wuxia stories and franchises would've) in a world where Dragon Ball was never created. The main thing that would likely be different without DB's influence would be its depiction of the Buddhist afterlife, since as I said, the "Buddhist afterlife as a modern Japanese office" gimmick is the main, primary thing that YYH had clearly copied straight from Dragon Ball that was legitimately unique to it. Most everything else... not so much at all.
i love that wuixa post and i think it's a fantastic summarization of what makes YYH so good and what togashi was going for, but it's not really saying their that similar outside of sharing common wuxia tropes and cliches and all that, which you can say for most of those 80s and early 90s shounen series. it's like comparing daydream natjon by sonic youth and loveless by mbv. sure their both apart of a very broad genre and share styles with each other, but their still very obviously two different things and comparing the two is kinda pointless because you may as well do it for every noise rock esque alt rock album. i don't know if that's also what you're saying you kinda just dropped a link with not a lot of context.

and let's be real, people who say the two are alike or if one copied another, are not talking about wuxia tropes, their making the bare minimum connection between the characters and taking a Wikipedia glance at the synopsis' of the series. for god's sake, people actually compare cell and the younger toguro. talking about what broader wuxia traits they share and what influenced them is a very worthwhile and interesting thing to talk about, but most people just go "kurama = piccolo bc he's the smart one, yusuke = goku cus he likes to fight" and that's just, well, dumb lol.

and hey here's another really good kunzait post about YYH and dragon ball

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:24 am

Yuli Ban wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:22 pm
Soppa Saia People wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:30 pm
and it's the same with all the yyh and dragon ball comparisons

kinda off topic but it's wild to think that Togashi went out of his way to stick to the wuxia formula for YYH only to try his hand at a DB clone four years later and stretch that out across twenty years! The freedom that comes from financial independence.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:42 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:50 pm i love that wuixa post and i think it's a fantastic summarization of what makes YYH so good and what togashi was going for, but it's not really saying their that similar outside of sharing common wuxia tropes and cliches and all that
Which is why I'd love to see the two crossed over. The mention that it's like combining the story of elf archers and human paladins from a similar pseudomedieval fantasy story is the conceit I'm running with. The old dream I had in my head a long time ago is that YYH and DB could take place on the same world but follow entirely different stories that never intersect because they never need to. Obviously this couldn't be true. And it's telling that people automatically default to imagining Son Goku meeting and fighting Yusuke. That dream of mine was more based on the idea that Yusuke would have something more to do with dealing with the Makyans like Garlic Jr.

I do also agree that the YYH dub is... something. So many characters just feel like they're reading lines.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:51 am

understandable enough but the with specific Line you quoted from me, the general direction of the thread, and kind of lack of context, i didn't really get what you meant. you probably can tell but i just get annoyed when people are like "wow yyh has a tournament arc just like dragon ball clearly these are the same thing" or whatever. just does such disservice to both. just acting like anything that shares dragon balls very broad range of tropes is the same and Needs to be compared.

to kinda wrap around to my noise rock alt rock point, i guess people do wanna see those bands together :p

babes in toyland are kinda ass tho

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:51 pm

I'm in the camp who wants to see a Dragon Ball x YuYu Hakusho crossover. It'd be fun seeing Goku and Yusuke competing (friendly competition) with each other while taking on the big bad. Vegeta and Hiei being standoffish as usual. Gohan and Kuwabara relating to each other being used as weapons but preferring to pursue education.

Not to mention both series' are very similar in their structures that they don't have to adjust things too much.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:01 pm

i'm gonna scream.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:59 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:51 pm I'm in the camp who wants to see a Dragon Ball x YuYu Hakusho crossover. It'd be fun seeing Goku and Yusuke competing (friendly competition) with each other while taking on the big bad. Vegeta and Hiei being standoffish as usual. Gohan and Kuwabara relating to each other being used as weapons but preferring to pursue education.

Not to mention both series' are very similar in their structures that they don't have to adjust things too much.
Better Dragon Ball and Yuyu Hakusho than Dragon Ball and Toriko and Once Piece

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:05 am

There aren't many franchises were the characters are strong enough to compete with DB. With One Piece and Naruto the DB characters always have to be nerfed to make it a close fight.

Marvel and DC really are the best options power wise, although the tones would clash with DB, and even then only a small handful of characters could compete with DB.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:25 am

I wouldn't be opposed to nerfing Dragon Ball characters for a cross over, because naturally it would be a gag story anyway.

For Marvel or DC Guardians of the Galaxy would be a good fit aesthetically and tonally to mix in with Dragon Ball characters.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:08 pm

I wouldn't exactly say Hiei and Yusuke aren't rivals - or at least, the rivalry there is one-sided on Hiei's part. He constantly measures himself up to Yusuke and fancies himself as a more competent and capable fighter and leader who just gets underestimated too often.

He has the same type of inferiority complex as Vegeta, too - his hissy fit in the Chapter Black arc about being a B-class is a prime example.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:08 pm

I have this idea, that every version of the Monkey King ever seen would meet each other, like a Spider-Verse film.

Do you know how many versions of the Monkey King there are?
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... eyKingLite

DC Comics

Marvel Comics

Saiyuki

Monkey Master

It'd be fun to see Goku meet these guys.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:43 pm

Aren't a lot of them jerks, bordering on outright villains?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147