What would you like Dragon Ball to cross-over with?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

What would you like Dragon Ball to cross-over with?

Post by super michael » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:58 am

I am curious which anime or manga would you like Dragon Ball to cross-over with? There are thousands and even millions of anime and manga to choose from.

Dragon Ball crossing over with Hunter X Hunter or Yu Yu Hakusho would be cool.

I can imagine how fun it would be Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter X Hunter and Dragon Ball character interacting.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: What would you like Dragon Ball to cross-over with?

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:11 am

Something where the characters do not get along. Let's see the characters contrast and be at odds!! That level of drama is exactly what crossovers lack!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:22 am

Not an anime or manga crossover, but I've always wanted a game along the likes of "DB vs Street Fighter" or "DBZ vs Capcom." Basically a Capcom VS game but with Dragon Ball.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:26 am

I'd like Vegeta to meet Saint Seiya's Ikki.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:31 am

Hokuto no Ken
Whimsical nature of DB clashing with HnK brutality is an intersting interaction I'd like to see.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:32 am

Transformers, Naruto, One Piece, Avatar and Ben 10 would be great.

And I'd like some specific meetings, such as: Bardock, Minato Namikaze and Monkey D. Dragon. • Alien X and Daishinkan and Zeno.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:39 am

It'd have to be an explicitly comedic series. As funny as HxH and YuYu Hakusho can get it's hard for me to picture how the casts would interact. Maybe if it was just the side characters meeting. Like Tenshinhan getting into an argument with Leorio about Leorio's lack of fighting ability only for Leorio to have to keep reminding him "I'm a medical student!"

I think a show outside the battle shonen would probably have the most mileage. Something willing to play with the fourth wall and genre savvy like Haruhi Suzumiya or Pop Team Epic. Heck, One Punch Man if you spend the whole episode teasing a Goku-Saitama fight and then don't do it. The anuerysms would be the funniest thing since Endless Eight
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:46 am

Dragon Ball already has a crossover special with One Piece and Toriko. The one where all the characters compete in a race/cooking competition.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:55 am

I'm with Ringworm, I wanna see Dragon Ball participate in a Capcom or Nintendo crossover game. I've said for a while now that although there's a huge stigma against Goku joining Smash Bros, but if there's any non-video game or "fourth party" character who would deserve a spot most, it would be our Saiyan boy. As Smash Bros is now seen as more of a holistic celebration of all video gaming (though with more emphasis on Japanese developers), Goku would fit as he's been constantly appearing in video games since the mid-'80s. Masako Nozawa holds at least two world records for voicing the character non-stop for over three decades in the video game medium. Beyond that, Goku would just be fun as hell in the Smash engine. McLeodGaming did a great job at implementing him in the fan game Super Smash Flash 2, but imagine how many more obscure techniques Sakurai could stuff into his arsenal. We saw how crazy the Heroes from Dragon Quest (all designed by Toriyama as well, funnily enough) turned out to be.

Ideally, a childish part of me would still like to see some kind of massive, themeless crossover party game with all the characters and franchises I enjoy, including Dragon Ball of course. Although I never splashed any cash on it, Lego Dimensions shocked me because it seemed like the guys at TT Games probed my mind and implemented almost every property I liked: DC Comics, Doctor Who, Portal, Back to the Future, Wizard of Oz, Gremlins... If only it wasn't Lego-themed (don't get me wrong, I quite like Lego, but I would always prefer to see the characters in their native art styles), it would have been a dream come true.

I'm not so keen on crossover narratives these days. The vast majority of them tend to come off as one or two corporations patting themselves on the back and using the most hackneyed tropes (i.e. convenient portals to other dimensions, everyone fights then makes up, some giant cosmic enemy who wants to remake the universes in his image, etc). They basically represent the opposite of organic storytelling.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:01 pm

super michael wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:58 am I am curious which anime or manga would you like Dragon Ball to cross-over with? There are thousands and even millions of anime and manga to choose from.

Dragon Ball crossing over with Hunter X Hunter or Yu Yu Hakusho would be cool.

I can imagine how fun it would be Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter X Hunter and Dragon Ball character interacting.
Yeah, DB/HXH cross-over would been 🔥

Netero meeting Roshi or Goku
Killua meeting Trunks
Gon meeting Goten would be a fun sight to behold

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:43 pm

Yu Yu Hakusho, absolutely.

Always wanted to see late DB/early Z cast meet and clash with Sensui-era YYH.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:58 pm

Dr. Slump.

Oh wait... :lol:
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:59 am

as far as togashi series go hxh would work a lot better then yyh, but also i don't really get why people even compare yhh and dragon ball, i don't think their very alike unless you strip away everything that makes dragon ball Dragon Ball and yyh Yu Yu Hakusho, but that's for another day.

which, yeah honestly as someone who doesn't watch a lot of battle shounen, i'd probably go with hxh lol. i think like red ribbon- piccolo daimao dragon ball and it would mix pretty well with it, and i don't think my other thought of azumanga daioh x dragon ball would be wanted by many sooo. hxh it is.

actually fuck it, give me osaka and goku, chiyo and gohan, sakaki and piccolo, all that stuff. maybe cut out kimura and the turtle hermit though...
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:20 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:59 am i don't really get why people even compare yhh and dragon ball, i don't think their very alike unless you strip away everything that makes dragon ball Dragon Ball and yyh Yu Yu Hakusho
Probably because it was dubbed by FUNimation, and ran on Cartoon Network around the same time.

But I agree that they are incomparable.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:17 am

Well actually, I'd love to see Dragon Ball cross over into something like Zu: Warriors of Magic Mountain, just to see how the DB-era senshi would handle the Blood Devil.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:39 am

I have a weird unpopular choice: Shinzo (or Mushrambo). It has a Journey to the West feel, the characters transform and merge, it involves time travel and its main hero is a celestial guaridan. But then I guess that this answers which franchise appears to be most like Dragon Ball at a glance and not the one whose crossover I would appreciate.

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:47 pm

Might be an unpopular opinion but screw it...

I want to see DB crossover with Fortnite. FN has been doing lots of crossovers lately. They could do a full DB themed battle pass with 7 different character skins. Recently they have been releasing skins that transform, so going Super Saiyan would be no problem. We could have Saiyan space pod and Freeza spaceship gliders, Kintoun/Nimbus for the Goku skin. The art style would work well for having DB themed POI's in the game. Also they could have a season long event where after you complete all of the challenges for a given week, a Dragon Ball will spawn on the island and if you collect all 7 after doing 7 weeks of challenges, you'd not only unlock the hidden skin for that season but get to make a wish to the Dragon to unlock any one vaulted skin from a previous battle pass that you do not already own.

They could sell other characters as new skins in the in game shop. This idea would make bank for Epic Games, FUNi and Toei. Plus it's a fantastic opportunity to expose a whole new generation of fans to the series.

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:56 am

I think YYH would be perfect. Both power systems are so similar that it'd be a seamless interaction. Another I'd like to see from my earliest days as a wee lad on the interwebz is a meeting with Sailor Moon and the 23 TB era characters. Either that or an older SM cast. This would be the only time I'd enjoy shipping characters.

Let's see, anything else ... Law of Ueki I guess, as that is a shonen I really enjoy with lots of slapstick comedy and action.
MyVisionity wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:20 am
Soppa Saia People wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:59 am i don't really get why people even compare yhh and dragon ball, i don't think their very alike unless you strip away everything that makes dragon ball Dragon Ball and yyh Yu Yu Hakusho
Probably because it was dubbed by FUNimation, and ran on Cartoon Network around the same time.

But I agree that they are incomparable.
I mean, both have similar power systems, afterlives and King Enma/Yemma exists in both so you can see where people pick up the similarities. YYH is almost like a gritty version of DBZ. There's a lot of crossover with the English voice cast too, not to mention certain character parallels like Hiei and Vegeta.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:12 am

Though not a bad idea...

How about the Shueisha-Kodansha crossover. Where Dragon Ball characters visit the Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) universe. Anything can happen.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:30 pm

BWri wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:56 am I mean, both have similar power systems, afterlives and King Enma/Yemma exists in both so you can see where people pick up the similarities. YYH is almost like a gritty version of DBZ. There's a lot of crossover with the English voice cast too, not to mention certain character parallels like Hiei and Vegeta.
what is the similarity between hiei and vegeta besides their both short and have spiky hair ? their hair don't even spike in the same way. vegeta is like a spoiled prince who is extremely loud and arrogant, hiei gets left to die by his race and gets abandoned by the bandits who took him and then gets his chance to reunite with his sister taken away from him. it's the most surface level comparison possible, hiei is one of the most loyal characters in the show he's practically a dog, vegeta is....vegeta. hiei barely talks and has every reason not to wanna get close to people due to his past, vegeta is just kinda of a prideful asshole.

and it's the same with all the yyh and dragon ball comparisons, if you remove everything that makes kurama Kurama, and then remove everything that makes piccolo Piccolo, their almost sorta similar but it does such a disservice to both characters and series that i don't even get why you'd want to. yyh takes place in contemporary japan and deals a lot with the after life and demon world, dragon ball takes place in its in world and has a lot more to do with chinese...stuff, and kung fu tropes. yusuke is a bosozoku from a broken home who's actively hated by every authority figure in his life which serves as a theme of the entire series, goku...is not even close to that. they really aren't that similar, even something like the demon class system is pretty much a throwaway line and has no impact on the plot, compared to battle powers which are huge part of two arcs. hell i've seen people compare yusukes demon form in the sensui fight and ssj3 but yusukes demon form predates ssj3 by like at least a month.

really hunter x hunter has waaay more in common with dragon ball. it's still not close but the world, usage of characters, and theme (for a while) is in the same realm of something like dragon ball (but again, it's a lot different).

yes they both ran in shounen jump around the same time (though dragon ball pre and Post dates yyh), yes their both action focused shounen...but that's really where it starts and Ends.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸