How terrible was Vegeta pre-Android Saga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kinokima
I Live Here

Re: How terrible was Vegeta pre-Android Saga

Post by Kinokima » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:25 am

ABED wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:11 pm
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:51 am He was genocide-level terrible, but because he was a former royal and slave to Freeza there's enough leeway for him to be an anti-hero/anti-villain.

He's the kind of anti-hero who doesn't care for redemption, though. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to you.
I wouldn't call him a slave. He did what he did willingly and he was more of a lieutenant.
Before anyone thinks I am defending Vegeta I am not

But in the manga when Vegeta finds out Freeza specifically knows about the Dragon Balls he is upset that he will be forced to do what Freeza says for the rest of his life. So yes he was a slave. The manga also notes he was going to be in trouble for doing his own thing by going to Earth. A top slave is still a slave.

However if Vegeta had managed to kill Freeza, gain immortality and become the strongest I imagine he would just continue doing what he did in destroying planets & selling them because that is the life he led up to now. Or maybe he would just become some independent mercernary. It was specifically the killing and taking down his opponents that Vegeta enjoyed.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:40 am

Fair enough, but I feel like when people bring up him being a slave, they mean that he was forced to do the things he did and that wasn't who he was deep down, like he was a victim and was turned into the monster he was.

Vegeta is different from Freeza in that he enjoys combat. He loves to fight and to eventually dominate, but at the same time if it's one sided, he hates that as he also enjoys the challenge but not too much because it cuts into his sense of self worth. Freeza doesn't like combat. He loves to hurt people and he loves the wealth that comes from conquering.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:57 am

I’d say all Freeza did was give the Saiyans a purpose.

They were bloodthirsty warriors and killers anyways, Freeza, or rather King Cold, just made a business out of it.

“Make a career out of something you enjoy” sort of thing.

PanSimpson
Banned

Post by PanSimpson » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:56 am

In many ways, Vegeta was a MUCH BETTER character prior to the Namek Saga when he was still 100% evil and only cared about himself even if he would be way more one-dimensional if he stayed that forever.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:35 pm

It depends on how much blame you put on Freeza for turning Vegeta into the monster that he became.

Weighing how much credence you give "death bed" confessions, Vegeta openly weeping and confessing his trauma on Namek to Goku was a fairly impactful moment.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:21 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:35 pm It depends on how much blame you put on Freeza for turning Vegeta into the monster that he became.

Weighing how much credence you give "death bed" confessionsww, Vegeta openly weeping and confessing his trauma on Namek to Goku was a fairly impactful moment.

Freeza having any impact on Vegeta’s character is English dub only though.

Vegeta’s deathbed confession was pretty much “We served him faithfully and then he destroyed our planet and wiped most of our race out because he was afraid of a Super Saiyan”

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:40 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:21 pm
Cursed Lemon wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:35 pm It depends on how much blame you put on Freeza for turning Vegeta into the monster that he became.

Weighing how much credence you give "death bed" confessionsww, Vegeta openly weeping and confessing his trauma on Namek to Goku was a fairly impactful moment.

Freeza having any impact on Vegeta’s character is English dub only though.

Vegeta’s deathbed confession was pretty much “We served him faithfully and then he destroyed our planet and wiped most of our race out because he was afraid of a Super Saiyan”
That's pretty traumatic. lol But again, depends on if you buy what Vegeta's selling. Plenty of sociopaths out there with a sob story that only goes skin deep.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:19 pm

I personally think Vegeta’s tears were legitimate (I mean he’s dying) so I think they showed he was not a complete sociopath & not devoid of any feelings at all but I would still argue they were selfish tears. He was crying for himself (not his people) and wanted Freeza to be killed by a Saiyan.

I liked how in the anime version of Super they have him cry because he felt he let Cabba & Bulma down when he lost at the TOP. I felt that was a nice small way to again show how much he has changed.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:51 pm

The story makes it pretty clear that Vegeta didn’t care about his fellow Saiyans when he was a bad guy. He even says this to Dodoria point blank. Vegeta’s hatred for Freeza is purely because he couldn’t stand being forced to serve under his thumb. The first time the series gives us any indication that Vegeta actually cares for people other than himself is when Cell kills Trunks.