How terrible was Vegeta pre-Android Saga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: How terrible was Vegeta pre-Android Saga

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:55 pm

He was always a bad person until the Buu saga. I feel like it was not until he choose to blow himself up when he realize on how bad of a person that he was. He probably lives on Earth because he has no reason to leave.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:51 am

He was genocide-level terrible, but because he was a former royal and slave to Freeza there's enough leeway for him to be an anti-hero/anti-villain.

He's the kind of anti-hero who doesn't care for redemption, though. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to you.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:31 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:36 pm He was planning on destroying Earth to sell it. It's safe to say that wasn't the first time and even if it were, that's bad enough.
Goku was sent to Earth as a child to destroy it because it was such a low level planet (well Minus complicates things)

I think Vegeta’s only interest in Earth was the Dragon Balls

Vegeta destroyed planets but he most likely destroyed ones where the inhabitants could put up a fight. He would have been too powerful to be interested in Earth. But from the way Raditz talked they probably destroyed a lot of planets as that was their “job”. We only later learned the Saiyans did this under Freeza’s order.

And note even Raditz did not come initially to destroy Earth. He was surprised Goku had not done it yet but he came there to recruit his brother to destroy a more powerful planet (we never learn what this planet is. But I guess it got lucky.)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:43 pm

Kinokima wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:31 pm
Goku was sent to Earth as a child to destroy it because it was such a low level planet (well Minus complicates things)
Goku wasn’t given any say of the matter he was in infant. How is that even an argument?

Right....to gain eternal life so he could usurp Freeza and take his place. Why do you think Vegeta wanted immortality? To focus on his rap career?

Vegeta destroyed planets but he most likely destroyed ones where the inhabitants could put up a fight. He would have been too powerful to be interested in Earth. But from the way Raditz talked they probably destroyed a lot of planets as that was their “job”. We only later learned the Saiyans did this under Freeza’s order.
He’s considered higher class and would be assigned to planets whose inhabitants had higher battle power. Yes. That doesn’t make him less evil. He had no qualms with slaughtering a Namek village or wiping out earth.

And note even Raditz did not come initially to destroy Earth. He was surprised Goku had not done it yet but he came there to recruit his brother to destroy a more powerful planet (we never learn what this planet is)
And he was pissed Goku hadn’t wiped out the earth yet. He’s not less evil because he assumed his weaker brother would have taken care of the job.

They’re not avoiding these weaker planets because of some “moral code” they’re just not concern because planets like earth are left to the lower class.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:05 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:43 pm
Kinokima wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:31 pm
Goku wasn’t given any say of the matter he was in infant. How is that even an argument?

Right....to gain eternal life so he could usurp Freeza and take his place. Why do you think Vegeta wanted immortality? To focus on his rap career?

He’s considered higher class and would be assigned to planets whose inhabitants had higher battle power. Yes. That doesn’t make him less evil. He had no qualms with slaughtering a Namek village or wiping out earth.

And note even Raditz did not come initially to destroy Earth. He was surprised Goku had not done it yet but he came there to recruit his brother to destroy a more powerful planet (we never learn what this planet is)
And he was pissed Goku hadn’t wiped out the earth yet. He’s not less evil because he assumed his weaker brother would have taken care of the job.

They’re not avoiding these weaker planets because of some “moral code” they’re just not concern because planets like earth are left to the lower class.

You are arguing with me about points that I am not even making. Did I claim that this made Vegeta and Raditz less evil anywhere? Or that Goku was guilty of anything?

Where the hell did I mention moral code? You are putting words in my post that were not there.

I just said Vegeta & Raditz would generally have no interest in a place like Earth because it was beneath them. I wasn’t trying to claim this made them “less evil “.

Note I was replying to the point of Vegeta wanting to destroy Earth to sell it. Not questioning if he was evil. Generally destroying planets and exterminating the life force whether they can put up a fight or not is pretty evil.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:46 pm

There is still no proof Vegeta himself ever went to wipe out planets. And killing a bunch of bug people isn't exactly the greatest atrocity either.

Given Vegeta allowed Nappa to do all the work on Earth, it's also likely the same thing happened on other worlds. Vegeta would sit idly while Nappa would get his hands dirty.

Nappa paid for his crimes.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:06 pm

precita wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:46 pm There is still no proof Vegeta himself ever went to wipe out planets. And killing a bunch of bug people isn't exactly the greatest atrocity either.
It's his backstory and committing genocide against a sentient species that you then feed on is pretty atrocious.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:34 pm

precita wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:46 pm There is still no proof Vegeta himself ever went to wipe out planets. And killing a bunch of bug people isn't exactly the greatest atrocity either.

Given Vegeta allowed Nappa to do all the work on Earth, it's also likely the same thing happened on other worlds. Vegeta would sit idly while Nappa would get his hands dirty.

Oh, okay...so now it doesn't count when the victims look like insects. Makes prefect sense.

I guess the Namekians don't count too, since they look like slugs.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:00 pm

The Arlians weren't exactly an innocent race. Remember that big bug monster they unleashed on Vegeta/Nappa halfway through the episode?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:38 pm

precita wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:00 pm The Arlians weren't exactly an innocent race. Remember that big bug monster they unleashed on Vegeta/Nappa halfway through the episode?
...they weren't eating Arlians when we first see Vegeta.

And filler aside, Vegeta and Nappa went to Arlia with the specific purpose of killing everyone as a detour.
Cold World (Fanfic)

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:40 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:43 pm Right....to gain eternal life so he could usurp Freeza and take his place. Why do you think Vegeta wanted immortality? To focus on his rap career?
Originally he just wanted immortality so he can enjoy fighting forever. His motives changed once Freeza came into the picture.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:10 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:40 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:43 pm Right....to gain eternal life so he could usurp Freeza and take his place. Why do you think Vegeta wanted immortality? To focus on his rap career?
Originally he just wanted immortality so he can enjoy fighting forever. His motives changed once Freeza came into the picture.
The Saiyans were also presented as independent businessman with Vegeta having apparently been a guy so overwhelmingly strong that they just went and named the whole planet after him. A lot of stuff was retconned once Toriyama brought Frieza into the picture.
Cold World (Fanfic)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:11 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:51 am He was genocide-level terrible, but because he was a former royal and slave to Freeza there's enough leeway for him to be an anti-hero/anti-villain.

He's the kind of anti-hero who doesn't care for redemption, though. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to you.
I wouldn't call him a slave. He did what he did willingly and he was more of a lieutenant.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:28 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:10 pm
The Saiyans were also presented as independent businessman with Vegeta having apparently been a guy so overwhelmingly strong that they just went and named the whole planet after him. A lot of stuff was retconned once Toriyama brought Frieza into the picture.
But at no point was his eager and willing participation in multiple xenocides (some 10,000 powerlevels worth of fights XD) ever retconned.

Vegeta had picked up so much bad karma it took him helping out the god overseeing his realm of existence and truly desperate circumstances just to balance out the scales. That's impressive. Who else in the great pantheon of shonen bad boys can you say that about? I figure even Hisoka would have a better chance at heaven than pre-Buu Vegeta.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:35 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:28 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:10 pm

But at no point was his eager and willing participation in multiple xenocides (some 10,000 powerlevels worth of fights XD) ever retconned.

Vegeta had picked up so much bad karma it took him helping out the god overseeing his realm of existence and truly desperate circumstances just to balance out the scales. That's impressive. Who else in the great pantheon of shonen bad boys can you say that about? I figure even Hisoka would have a better chance at heaven than pre-Buu Vegeta.
I...know? That's exactly what I've been saying up and down this thread. I didn't say the retcons applied to that, just AOTA's assertion about Vegeta's motives for immortality changed. It was more a retcon than Vegeta changing his mind because Toriyama changed a lot of details about the Saiyans post-Earth
Cold World (Fanfic)

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:38 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:35 pm I...know? That's exactly what I've been saying up and down this thread. I didn't say the retcons applied to that, just AOTA's assertion about Vegeta's motives for immortality changed. It was more a retcon than Vegeta changing his mind because Toriyama changed a lot of details about the Saiyans post-Earth
Not disagreeing with you.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:46 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:38 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:35 pm I...know? That's exactly what I've been saying up and down this thread. I didn't say the retcons applied to that, just AOTA's assertion about Vegeta's motives for immortality changed. It was more a retcon than Vegeta changing his mind because Toriyama changed a lot of details about the Saiyans post-Earth
Not disagreeing with you.
Gotcha, no problem.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:54 pm

Killing people is still killing people, are you a genocide apologist?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:13 am

I guess you could consider Vegeta's goal of using the DB's to eventually surpass Freeza as a retcon, but I don't see that as the case. Wanting to best Freeza and fight forever aren't antithetical and Freeza does represent a huge impediment to Vegeta's goals.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:16 am

You have to wonder how Vegeta would have been had he succeeded in gaining immortality and ruling the universe. In the long run would he really have enjoyed it? How ruthless would he be compared to Frieza? Would he eventually get bored of it due to not having a challenge?

For some reason I feel the role wouldn't fit him quite like Frieza.

I feel a similar way about Piccolo Jr. It would be strange to imagine him ruling over earth and relishing every moment like King Piccolo did. He's ultimately a guy who enjoys being alone meditating, so it's hard to picture him sitting on a throne laughing maniacally in front of the whole world.

That scene at the tournament were people recognize him and he starts laughing is interesting. He initially seems irritated, and even slightly uncomfortable. Then he forces himself to go into "King Piccolo mode" and does an evil laugh while boasting about who he is. It felt like he was just sort of playing the role. Vegeta is similarly a moody loner by nature, so I can see him tiring of ruling an empire.